Ever think about thinning the herd?

I'm about 60.... Some on here think being 40 is old. I can assure you it is not.
Neither is 60, you young pup.
I have a couple of guns I just don’t bother with that I’ll thin for something I’ll use.
Others are never for sale.
Yup.

I bought a few different .22s when we were shopping for the missus, before she decided a Bearcat was the ultimate revolver. Bought a couple on impulse as well. Have some now in the For Sale forum, before they go to GB. (Want to raise funds for one of those little Kei trucks.)

I realized I might have too many when a couple of them actually had to touch one another in the safe.

Accumulated tons of parts, ammo and firearms over the years and it seems a lot gets unused and not having a lot of time to get out as I used to got me thinking of selling some off but obviously hate to since it’s not as easy to get AR”s or AK’s like it was and prices are not like they were.
I came to the realization a while ago that having 10 different AR15's and a bunch of AK74 and 47 variants is not beneficial to me. Sold off almost everything except what I really really liked a while ago :)

Used the proceeds to buy stuff that brought me more joy, motorcycles!

Last edited:
I'm definitely planning on a major thinning of my herd in 2024. Not having any Family, my executor will likely be an attorney and the thought of having guns worth $1-5K being sold for a few hundred $ weighs heavily on my mind. All the money is designated to go to medical research so perhaps some of you someday may not have to bury your Wife or other relative, so I want the max $ possible for those guns. What I bought in my 30s & 40s (but haven't shot ever or in many years) isn't so important to me anymore in my 70s.

YMMV

Yes.

I know it is sacrilegious on NES to say so but every now and then I will pull my firearms out and say to myself do I really like/want this? If i don't say yes I sell it. Ammo and accessories on the other hand never get sold unless they are specific to the firearm I am purging.

Meh, I gave away two guns this year and one last year. Inherited a brand new 92FS, had an old beat up one and another Inox one, had a friend that wanted one after he shot mine so I gifted the old one to him. Have two Sub2000s I never shoot, have a buddy who fell in love w/ it when I showed it to him, he's done me many favors over the years, I gave it to him. Last year I gave away an old Smith 22A I had forgotten I loaned to a friend. We hadn't seen each other in forever & when he reminded me he had it, I transferred it to him. There's nothing wrong w/ thinning the herd if you're not going to use the gun ever & it doesn't have sentimental/collectible value. It would suck to have to sell them for the cash, but that's not the case for me.

You guys think too much of your wives.
It’s more that I think of my wife selling it off to some jerk for pennies on the dollar who is then going to make someone else pay top dollar for it. I’d rather sell to some guy ( or gal) now who can appreciate it and give them a price break

I didn’t sell any guns (except a few I really disliked) until I hit 55. Then I had a few I knew weren’t going to be used and weren’t collectible. They got sold.
Then I made a list of what would go next, and they got traded for things I wanted or sold to finance other shooting items ( I sold one rifle to buy my first Dillon 550, sold two more to partially fund my first PRS scope). I get a lot more use and enjoyment from the Dillon than I ever did the rifle that financed it.

when I left Mass a few years ago, I sold the ARs I had bought, built while in MA. I kept my pre 94 colts AR,s. Sold two more lightly used Bolt guns then also

Honestly, I thought it would be emotionally difficult to start thing the herd. It wasn’t at all. No regrets.

The harder works starts now ( I’m 70). I made the list of all the rifles my sons or grandkids want. The list of who gets what is with will. I even accounted for all reloading set ups.

That still leaves a lot to deal with now. No relative going to hand gun hunt, so there are three pistols. Contender with 4 barrels needs a home. Gallery shooting with .22s isn’t happening so there’s a few more.

A few nice ’06 rifles to go. The 88 Winchester in .308 will need a home

Next year maybe

What my wife doesn’t know is her recent jewelry gifts were financed by sold firearms. I know the grand daughters and daughter in laws will benefit from that at some point. Still estate planning going on there

So OP, if the guns don’t bring you joy, sell it.

like someone else said, I regret selling about half of them.

I don't regret selling Keltec sub2k, old ruger pc carbine, Ruger 357 mag , 92fs compact, p239, Henry 22 Mag pump, Henry 22 LR lever, 9mm 1911,
marlin 357 lever (from the era of marlin crap built)

ones I regret: Sig P220, A2 style bull barrel Bushmaster , Sig 556R 7/62x39 , CMP Rockola M1 Carbine, CMP M1 Garand, S&W stainless 1911, pencil barrel lightweight AR, Antique Winchester 1892 30-30

I think about it some times. Done the same with motorcycles over the years. Some I'd like back even though I wouldn't use them and some I could care less about. Have a guy at work that needed cash a few years ago and sold off his Beretta 92fs that he loved so much. Regrets it every day. I know they guy he sold it to and know he got taken to the cleaners on the sale. Told him he should have sold it to me and I would have sold it back to him for the same money when he was in a better place if he wanted it.

Guess that's my best advise. If you're selling something you value more then the cash then sell it to a good home instead of some random person.

Yeah I hear ya. I just sold my tokarev pistol as I hadn’t shot it in probably 5+ years and reloading for it is a PITA.
Considering selling my Mosin M44 with ammo as that hasn’t been shot in close to 5 years also.

My SKS hasn’t been shot in probably almost 10 years but I can’t bring myself to sell it.

But when it comes to ammo and reloading components I’ll never sell it off

I showed this to my daughter & son-in-law, they rolled their eyes and half smiled.
20231230_214453.jpg

Our kids always called us hoarders. When Covid hit my daughter called me one day and said she couldn't find any toilet paper and if we could spare any. I said of course, take whatever you need. I supplied my daughter, son-in-law, their kids, my parents, myself, my wife and our younger daughter with toilet paper, paper towels, Lysol and hand sanitizer for almost 2 years before I had replace my inventory. My Mom is a hoarder, she saves anything and everything. I've got the gene but I temper it. I hoard things of value or potential value. I've been hoarding wheel weights and scrap lead flashing for years. I don't reload but I might someday or know someone that does. If I can't store something properly or I'm tripping over it, it has to go.

The killer is I live in a small cape in Mass and an even smaller house in NH. I have product and equipment stored everywhere. I've got 176 acres up North but I need some under cover storage. I've got stuff up there that's never been outside until I got it. I'm hoping to get a 40'x60' Barn put up soon. That's not even close to what I need but it's a start.

Last edited:
It's more than just heirlooms though... like as an example my first gun was a P7M8 and I sold it. and I will never be able to buy one again for the price that I sold it for years ago. That gun in the six mags that it went with are probably over $3,000 nowadays. Those are basically the sales that I regret the most I have a bunch of guns like that that are not obtainable for anywhere near what I sold them for. 🤣 oh well, live and learn. Im much more fiscally responsible now so it's not really a problem, but still sucks.
Any of you knuckleheads got a HK P7M8 or P7M13 you want to sell me? You totally won’t miss it or regret the sale.

Found an oldie but goodie:
They -SAY- they discontinued it, but some sources have said this is
proving to be BS, and that the factory is still making them.

I don't know if the P7 is really -that- popular, it's more of a cult
item. It's a hard sell to get someone to spend $1200+ on a handgun
thats intended soley as a defense weapon. (Although gunsmith
Bruce Gray, from CA used to shoot competitively with his, when he worked
for HK. He had to use a beverage chiller gizmo thing out at the range
to cool the gun off between stages, no joke. I believe at the time he
was using a P7M13. ).

An all steel, 9mm handgun, usually sold in single stack, has a tough road to
hoe in terms of practicality when compared to a lot of the polymer guns out
there. Many will argue however, that there is nothing better, at least
not in 9mm.

It's one of those guns though, that once you've own it, and you
have a chance to shoot it.... it sits in a class by itself. I know
I won't be getting rid of mine anytime soon.

-Mike

Absolutely not. I will never sell a gun again. In my past I’ve had to sell guns due to financial issues and miss those guns dearly. They weren’t anything special, except to me.

On the same side of the coin, I’m very discerning with what I buy now. Everything has a purpose, regardless of what for. Fun, hunting or other. So I end up putting a lot of thought and research into each purchase and I don’t make many each year. Only two to three. Mainly because there is usually a lot of stuff that I get to go with each purchase.

I've got a few that I've been going back and forth on for years. Two aren't made anymore (SIG, Springfield). The SA is unfired BNIB. Another I have prebans, that I DID NOT pay rape prices for, but of course would be priced the NES way, the only way!

It's more than just heirlooms though... like as an example my first gun was a P7M8 and I sold it. and I will never be able to buy one again for the price that I sold it for years ago. That gun in the six mags that it went with are probably over $3,000 nowadays. Those are basically the sales that I regret the most I have a bunch of guns like that that are not obtainable for anywhere near what I sold them for. 🤣 oh well, live and learn. Im much more fiscally responsible now so it's not really a problem, but still sucks.
I bought a p7m8 for $900 about 9 years ago. 1982 vintage. It looks unfired. Original box, 3 magazines, cleaning kit and paperwork. One of many I will be selling off this year.

I bought a p7m8 for $900 about 9 years ago. 1982 vintage. It looks unfired. Original box, 3 magazines, cleaning kit and paperwork. One of many I will be selling off this year.
The ones that are in great shape fetch 2500+ all day long if they don't have purple slide disease and have all the stuff. (Scraper, brush, box and manual).

That's actually an interesting specimen because that gun was imported a shitload of years after 1982 if it has a Columbus import stamp on it maybe they are like police leftover guns or something from Germany. Nice one.

ETA: that gun in the box now that I'm looking at it is actually not a p7 M8 it's more like a PSP or something like that because it has a Euro release on the bottom. I don't know what those are getting nowadays but they're still probably more than what you paid for it.

It's been some time since I looked into them. I believe the p7m8 all had euro mag releases. As you can see it's like brand new. I bought it at Riley. They wanted $1000, I got it for $900. I put a magazine through it, cleaned it and put it away.

Back
Top Bottom