• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Easiest and hardest guns to clean....

I'd have to say Glocks and the S&W M&Ps are the easiest to clean.... I don't shoot a lot of rifles yet but I hate cleaning my AR15.

What are your picks?

Mosin Nagant. I can get one in and have it stripped, degreased, including bolt with the FP protrusion checked and ready to fire in about 15 minutes.
I hate cleaning my SVT40 and Hakim, but SKS' are quick and easy.

Any double barrel shotgun, be it over/under or side by side.

It just does not get easier than that. Pumps come in a close second.

I hate cleaning my AR15.
You are probably overcleaning it.

It does not have to be spic and span in every spot to run reliably. I wish I had taken pics of the upper receiver and barrel extension of my M4gery after day 1 of a two day carbine fighting course.

Most people really do no know how tolerant to dirt and fouling an AR is IF you run it wet inside the bolt carrier.

I think that my P22 is one of the guns that's a pain in the ass to clean. Taking it apart is cake. It's getting that spring and slide back on that I hate....

I think that cleaning any of my SAA's are the easiest to clean. That and a 1911, those come down to clean pretty easy. As well as my 92FS, that's a cake to get apart and clean.

My Winchester 92 isn't fun to take apart and clean...

That's a loaded question if you ask me!!

You are probably overcleaning it.

It does not have to be spic and span in every spot to run reliably. I wish I had taken pics of the upper receiver and barrel extension of my M4gery after day 1 of a two day carbine fighting course.

Most people really do no know how tolerant to dirt and fouling an AR is IF you run it wet inside the bolt carrier.

You are correct, running it a bit wet with CLP or even WD-40 will add some longevity to its performance but an AR15/M16 can NEVER be too clean. It's a self fouling design, perhaps one of the worst ever accepted by the military. This is where the AK is superior to the AR/M16. I've fired over 2000 consecutive rounds(drum after drum) out of an AK, full auto and semi without a single malfunction and nothing more than a little lacquer on the bolt face from the primer sealant.
I've never gotten beyond four hundred or so in an AR without having to spray the hell out of it and brush the chamber. And they are "machinegun uppers" not tight chambered target rifle chambers.

I completely strip and clean my ARs everytime I fire them, whether I shoot ten rounds or a thousand.

My CZ-75B has been real easy to clean this year, perhaps a dozen matches and cleaned once. I just add a couple drops of oil the day of the match and go.

Boy that's a fun gun!

Respectfully,

jkelly

Quite often I pick a SIG for a range session because it is so easy to clean. Ten seconds, no tools, no strain, and it is separated into frame, slide, barrell and recoil spring/guide assembly. Under ten minutes, and the piece is completely cleaned, re-assembled, re-loaded and re-holstered.

Easiest to clean: my S&W 22A.

Toughest to clean: an unmodified Rugger Mark II. Gotta love those Majestic Arms custom action stripping dodads. Inexpensive, but worth a million.

I think that my P22 is one of the guns that's a pain in the ass to clean. Taking it apart is cake. It's getting that spring and slide back on that I hate....

I must agree. I love to shoot it but hate to clean it. Getting the spring back in is a royal pain in the ass.

I must say that my M&P 40 is probably the easiest to clean, followed by Walther P99c and Sig P229.

I've never gotten beyond four hundred or so in an AR without having to spray the hell out of it and brush the chamber. And they are "machinegun uppers" not tight chambered target rifle chambers.
600 rounds in a day with no cleaning and no malfs. Heavily lubed the inside of the BC in the morning. Added an unnecessary drop at lunch. I could have probably doubled that the next day without cleaning, just a little lube here and there. LMT upper/DPMS lower, NATO chamber, 16" barrel.

I completely strip and clean my ARs everytime I fire them, whether I shoot ten rounds or a thousand.
I do that to all my weapons.

My S&W Model 60 .38 in stainless. Remove the wood grips, place gun in dishwasher, good to go. [dance]

My Beretta 96 and SIG P229, easy dissasembly and assembly.

Any of my 1911's give me grief. Springs go flying drives me nuts. [rolleyes]

Hate cleaning my Ruger MkIII.....

Biggest pain in the ass to clean. To the point where a douche with some rem oil is about it anymore. It does not like to be reassembled. Fights all the way.

Easiest to clean is the AK-because I don't. It gets a bore snake and that's it. All of 1 minute.

The easiest handguns to clean are Glocks. I have a "system" where I can field strip, clean, dry, lube, and reassemble a Glock in under two minutes.

The easiest rifle to clean is an H&R HandiRifle in .500 Magnum.

The most tedious handgun to clean is a 10-shot 617. It takes forever to clean those chambers. I ditched mine and picked up a 6-shot Model 17 for this reason.

My absolute worst firearm to clean is the Walther G22 (bullpup .22 carbine). You need tools, a slide rule, and a schematic to take apart and reassemble it. I'd gladly clean 5 Ruger MK IIIs rather than touch the G22.

Easiest: Winchester 1300 shotgun. Once a year, a quick swab of the bore and a spritz of Gun Scrubber into the action. Good to go.

Easiest overall: SW99 series. Can and have taken it apart just to show people how easy it is. Polymer frame means a quick swab is all that's needed for the major gunk, a snake through the barrel, couple drops of oil, done.

Hardest: I'd say the Remington Nylon 66 that's still in pieces in the gun safe...

IMO the hardest to strip award goes to the Ruger MKII/III, hands
down, no contest, it's the biggest pain in the ass firearm out
there WRT stripping and reassembly. It was obviously
designed by a sadist.

It's the only gun I've ever seen which recommends the use of a
MALLET to take it apart or put it back together. Something is just
intrinsically wrong with that.... there's also that little tang thing
that comes out too, and typically a tool is needed for that, cause it
gets stuck in there.

Mine was such a pain in the ass that I got rid of it after about
a year. Never again. (at least not without one of those widgets
attached to it to make it easier to take apart). That, and the
MKIII looks like it was designed by a lawyer more than a
gunmaker. Blech.

I'll stick with my S+W 22A. Probably end up getting another
one with a longer barrel soon.

As far as "easiest" guns go I have to say any Sig P series, as
well as the M1 Garand, AK, and AR rifles. All of them break down
and clean pretty easily. 1911s aren't too bad either, depending
on the configuration of the guide rod/plug/etc.

-Mike

My easiest is the M&P with the Sig being a close second. Quick to take down and easy to get clean.

Hardest is my 1911. Barrel Bushing is VERY tight and you have to use a wrench to get it to turn. I've had the plunger take off once or twice. Just not fun.

Oh, the single action revolvers are also a PIA as it is not simple to remove the cylinder to clean the area around the forcing cone.

Most of the rifles I have are bolt action, so they are simple to clean. Remove bolt, run bore snake and wipe the edges with patches.

The AR was a real chore. But I might be overcleaning if there is any truth to that.

IMO the hardest to strip award goes to the Ruger MKII/III, hands
down, no contest, it's the biggest pain in the ass firearm out
there WRT stripping and reassembly. It was obviously
designed by a sadist.

It's the only gun I've ever seen which recommends the use of a
MALLET to take it apart or put it back together. Something is just
intrinsically wrong with that.... there's also that little tang thing
that comes out too, and typically a tool is needed for that, cause it
gets stuck in there.

Mine was such a pain in the ass that I got rid of it after about
a year. Never again. (at least not without one of those widgets
attached to it to make it easier to take apart). That, and the
MKIII looks like it was designed by a lawyer more than a
gunmaker. Blech.

I'll stick with my S+W 22A. Probably end up getting another
one with a longer barrel soon.

As far as "easiest" guns go I have to say any Sig P series, as
well as the M1 Garand, AK, and AR rifles. All of them break down
and clean pretty easily. 1911s aren't too bad either, depending
on the configuration of the guide rod/plug/etc.

-Mike

+1 on the Ruger MkIII. Has to be the hardest damn gun to clean on the planet. As you said, you need a Mallet to clean the thing!!! My understanding is that the mallet is used to beat the firearm into a pulp when you can't get it back together again.

For ease. I like the Sig Pxxx series. I've heard the Glocks are easy, but I've also heard that they require the user to pull the trigger as part of the stripping process. I don't know if this is true, but if so it appears to violate rule 1 of firearms safety.

Back
Top Bottom