• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Dumb guy at the range

A guy saw me with a musket at the range and asked me if I was not allowed to own guns (he arrived after I was done shooting my other rifles), so I said "I just got out of prison 3 months ago, spent 10 years in Plymouth" - his face was priceless, he stopped talking to me.

I waited a few days to see if he was a NES member and would post about it on this thread.

A guy saw me with a musket at the range and asked me if I was not allowed to own guns (he arrived after I was done shooting my other rifles), so I said "I just got out of prison 3 months ago, spent 10 years in Plymouth" - his face was priceless, he stopped talking to me.

I waited a few days to see if he was a NES member and would post about it on this thread.

LOL. With your accent you should have said you just got here from overseas and you're working your way up to an AK-47.

Holds in left hand with finger on trigger, racks slide then switches hands and immediately putting finger on trigger before pointing downrange. Repeatedly looks/turns away from the target with his finger on the trigger.

Not to mention he swept the guy shooting from the bench a few lanes down walking back.

I've already posted about some serious ricochet hazards that have made 'creative' (stupid) targets. Still a problem at my range.

One of the dumber things I have seen is Tommy and Terri the tacticool couple, with no warning at all, walk downrange during 'hot' to make mag dumps into silhouette targets. This done while I'm shooting beside them. I guess my shots helped simulate combat? Obviously I stopped shooting as soon as they entered my field of view, but they made it pretty far downrange since they came from the left and I was shooting righty from the bench.

I was disappointed that they did not stab the targets with bayonets.

No joke, I did this at a range with some friends. Just us and I was the only one shooting. Dumped the mag in my SKS, ran and stabbed the target keeping the muzzle in a safe direction. Fun when its done safe. I also think they recorded it to blackmail me later.

Can felons own black powder guns?

Federal law, yes. MA law, yes, but "reloading materials" are restricted.

In Mass, you need an FID or better to purchase powder, cap and ball for primitive arms, but no FID/ LTC to possess. So it would be lawful to go to NH, or Maine, for instance, and buy it, and bring it back to the PRM.

209 primers for an in-line "modern" muzzle-loader DO require and FID or LTC to possess.

Can felons own black powder guns?

You can have black powder guns shipped to your front door. I have had 3 rifles and a revolver shipped to my house. This applies to muzzleloaders.

And...if I remember correctly you don't need a gun license to have Black Powder. (But double check that).

You can have black powder guns shipped to your front door. I have had 3 rifles and a revolver shipped to my house. This applies to muzzleloaders.

And...if I remember correctly you don't need a gun license to have Black Powder. (But double check that).

You don't need it to possess the black powder but you do to buy it, so you would have to source it from somewhere out of state.

ETA: This guy already nailed it.

In Mass, you need an FID or better to purchase powder, cap and ball for primitive arms, but no FID/ LTC to possess. So it would be lawful to go to NH, or Maine, for instance, and buy it, and bring it back to the PRM.

209 primers for an in-line "modern" muzzle-loader DO require and FID or LTC to possess.

We have a 500 yard rifle range, with the closest targets set up at 200 yards. Yesterday I watched in astonishment as three couples giggled while a woman tried to fire an AR-pistol on the range. She was obviously uncomfortable with the firearm, and her shots were nowhere near the target.

People stepping a couple feet onto and active range to recover a bullet that rolled off the table.

Also saw the same thing with a paper target that blew ten feet out while 5 people were firing.

Holds in left hand with finger on trigger, racks slide then switches hands and immediately putting finger on trigger before pointing downrange. Repeatedly looks/turns away from the target with his finger on the trigger.

That has nothing to do with what I asked about, which was the action closed and your claiming HE was in danger for being in front of the line.

Obviously muzzle sweeping is bad, I never said it was good or that he didn't do it.

Closing action and walking back is a safety violation? What planet do you live on?

He's barely in front of the line, and frankly the line is an artificial creation/idea. Nothing about the line protects you from being shot.

Honestly there's nothing in this video I thought was dangerous.

That has nothing to do with what I asked about, which was the action closed and your claiming HE was in danger for being in front of the line.

Obviously muzzle sweeping is bad, I never said it was good or that he didn't do it.

I'm a little confused here, I never said anything about him being in front of the line. I do believe he should not have been there but up till now I hadn't said anything about it.

My post was just examples of dangerous behavior (last line of your post). I don't know where you got the rest of it.

Generally speaking I see lots of behavior that doesn't follow a basic attitude of safety compared to what I saw and learned when I first started shooting. People may think of them as little things and no big deal, but these things tend to catch up with them.

One of the ways I like to think about it is, OK, everything turned out fine that day. What happens if those same habits are repeated over thousands and thousands of days when unexpected things creep in? For example, what happens if there's a slam fire while racking the slide with the muzzle pointed up? It clears the berm, and if the area is well-populated, you hope to God it hits clear dirt or a tree.

Last edited:
Was hoping to find the pics but no luck. Seems like every fall I pick up target stands that have been obliterated via shotgun into a flapping mess of cardboard and wood. Apparently it's some sort of Fudd rut season ritual to destroy any surviving stands that we built earlier that year. Whoever is doing this leaves the mess at the berm. Probably the same people who bitch about AR this and AK that...

I think this year I will write sharpie messages on the new stands: "Don't be a jackass- hit the cardboard not the wood", "If you can't keep most of your shots inside the target frame, please go to the pistol range and stand 2 feet away", etc. Seriously, I can bring rank beginners to the range and they will not destroy the frames. Maybe a shot or two on the wood, but they don't shred the thing into splinters.

That tends to happen when people are patterning their shotguns. They must all have unchoked SBSs to blast stands from ten yards [laugh]

- - - Updated - - -

Two female MSP, one in uniform and one not, show up in a cruiser. They set up 2 life size upper torso targets on the 25 yard backboard. They each empty 2 full boxes of 9mm from various distances walking up towards their targets as they shoot. They police their brass and take down the targets. They ask me if I want the brass which I gladly take. They put their targets in the trash and leave. I check out the 2 targets. Out of 200 rounds fired, less than 24 holes in the paper between the 2 targets.

Prolly the best shooters in their barracks.

I was with a buddy at his range. I brought my Suomi. The drum mags hold 71 rounds. So I'm shooting it. About 15 rounds in another shooter and his kid starts to set up gear. I stop and ask him if he wants me to go cold so he can bring a target down range. He tells me to keep shooting that he is in no rush. 30 or so rounds later he just walks out down range. I immediately went cold. Apparently my buddy and I are real jerks for yelling at him in front of his kid for just walking down range while two shooters are dumping mags.

I was with a buddy at his range. I brought my Suomi. The drum mags hold 71 rounds. So I'm shooting it. About 15 rounds in another shooter and his kid starts to set up gear. I stop and ask him if he wants me to go cold so he can bring a target down range. He tells me to keep shooting that he is in no rush. 30 or so rounds later he just walks out down range. I immediately went cold. Apparently my buddy and I are real jerks for yelling at him in front of his kid for just walking down range while two shooters are dumping mags.

I had this happen one time many years ago. They were using the pistol 25 yard line and I was about 20 yards to their left with an m1 garand shooting at the 50 yard line. Guy just goes around the bench and walks out to shoot closer to the target. I screamed at my son "cease fire" and then turned to the guy and said "what are you doing"? He said "targets too far away I can't hit it". Unreal. I told him we were here first and if you want to move up you'll have to wait till I'm done. Dumbasses abound in the gun owning world. If he hadn't been such a retard and just asked me to rack my rifle for a minute I would have done it and let him go downrange to shoot closer. But once you do a twatwaffle move like that.......Youve shown me you can't be trusted and can just wait.

Last edited:
....especially at smaller ranges when I was in western MA, its common sense applies... do whatever you want, just dont flag one another.

Heh.

So, I don't know if it's exactly "a thing," but in far western MA (definition: you can see VT and/or NY), our practice is, when someone's at the range (definition: "place you go and shoot at stuff, but not hunting") when we arrive, we wait with unloaded firearms in cases.

When they unload, police brass, pack up and leave, we set up and begin shooting.

...Maybe it's a luxury of low population density.

Heh.

So, I don't know if it's exactly "a thing," but in far western MA (definition: you can see VT and/or NY), our practice is, when someone's at the range (definition: "place you go and shoot at stuff, but not hunting") when we arrive, we wait with unloaded firearms in cases.

When they unload, police brass, pack up and leave, we set up and begin shooting.

...Maybe it's a luxury of low population density.

Meh I prefer loading up all my "scary" stuff and then stand there looking really annoyed.. they get uncomfortable and stop shooting their bolt action .22 and go home. More range time for me.

I was at the range in Manchester nh. A group rented a machine gun. One guy put the rifle against his hip with the barrel up and finger on the trigger. I learned why some ranges have holes in the ceiling. They hit the brand new rail that they just had installed. Expensive trip for those boys.

I must some that some of you may be reasons why people don't join rangers or leave ranges based on how you handle bad cases.

i must also say that being part of a "smaller" club is awesome because I never had to deal with anything like that in my range with 5 benches :)

and great thank you to the peeps from this awesome forum who have taken me to their clubs to shoot and guided me with proper techniques and safety rules.

I was at the range in Manchester nh. A group rented a machine gun. One guy put the rifle against his hip with the barrel up and finger on the trigger. I learned why some ranges have holes in the ceiling. They hit the brand new rail that they just had installed. Expensive trip for those boys.

I had a guy renting a sw500 in the lane next to me. I hear a shuffling behind me and turn around to see him closing the cylinder with the muzzle pointed at me....

Haven't been back.

Back
Top Bottom