Don't point the 40 on route 9 and then bring it on campus.

At least 500, 600 years ago. Assault is the threat of kicking someone's ass. Battery is kicking someone's ass. Traditionally they were separately charged crimes.

They still are separately charged crimes. Pointing a gun at somebody would be assault DW. Pointing said gun at someone and launching a round at him/her would be assault and battery DW

They still are separately charged crimes. Pointing a gun at somebody would be assault DW. Pointing said gun at someone and launching a round at him/her would be assault and battery DW

Possibly it was just the reporter who got it wrong by trying to over-simplify things. It sounds like they might have a case for "Assault with a dangerous weapon" of the form "imminently threatened battery", i.e. the "I'm going to beat you with this baseball bat." form as opposed to the form "attempted battery", i.e. the "Ssssuuuuwwwwiiinngggg and a miss!" form.

Once again, a PD charges "possession on school property" totally ignoring the "on one's person" constraint included in 269-10j.

I think you've got to ask yourself:

Self, did this Einstein pause off-campus to secure the pistol?
Self, did this Einstein even claim during questioning that he paused off-campus to secure the pistol?

screen name?

There's a more subtle variation on that; see below:

It was a Glock 23, so at the very least, the jerk has good taste in firearms. [grin]

100 quatloos to whoever finds the defendant asking online, "Can I get me a Glock 23 in Massachusetts?".

Now the argument for civilian flagmen just ended forever.

In that case, we should put cops in front of every business with a street number that is in the fibbonacci series. Sooner or later one of them will be useful in responding to a crime, thus proving the validity of such a policy.

More information in the Globe:

DEDHAM -- A judge Friday morning postponed the arraignment of a community college student who allegedly pointed a loaded gun at another motorist on Route 9 in Wellesley, acknowledging that the student is an Army combat veteran struggling with post-traumatic stress disorder.

Ian Beagan, a slender 25-year-old who served a tour as a medic in Afghanistan, stood still in the dock as his lawyer asked for time to check Beagan into a Veterans Affairs hospital “to help to stabilize his mental health” before the case proceeds....

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...-judge-says/Sf7rycViDRmUYsEFTxaIgJ/story.html

If the PTSD diagnosis is legit, I hope the VA takes care of him. My guess is if that's the case losing his LTC is the least of his concerns until he receives proper support for the PTSD.

"Beagan was taken into custody and charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon and possessing a firearm on school property"

I have never understood when assault morphed from actual violence against a person to the threat of violence against a person.

Using the English Common Law tradition, Blackstone described assault as "an offer or attempt to beat another, without touching him" and battery as the "the least touching of another person willfully or in anger." (i.e. beating him) Every battery would inherently include an assault but nto vice versa.

In common use today the terms are used synonymously by most people and in some jurisdictions in a way that is not consistent with the traditional usage of the terms (In certain states for example, the the elements of the crime of assault (either generally or in certain degrees) require injury to be inflicted) (leaving what under English common law would have been considered an assault to either be chargeable under a different crime or as an attempted assault). Some other states will use one term/charge for either element, and some states like Mass (which happens to call the crime assault or assault & battery) allows the charge to be used for the actual or threatened use of force.

Last edited:
Yeah he phucked up huge, however I certainly hope that after he gets proper treatment and has shown that he has regained his senses that he'll be able to one day get his LTC back.

AM I the only one who thinks that somebody who (1) waves his gun at somebody while driving, (2) admits to the police that he did it while (3) carrying his gun onto school property is somebody who shouldn't be carrying a gun?

AM I the only one who thinks that somebody who (1) waves his gun at somebody while driving, (2) admits to the police that he did it while (3) carrying his gun onto school property is somebody who shouldn't be carrying a gun?
Nope.

Full retard road ragers should be prosecuted, but #3 shouldn't even be a crime to begin with, If he has a good attorney that charge might get dumped but I bet he still has to eat some other felony...

I think some time in a looney bin might be more helpful to this guy than prison, though, but who knows he could just be a conventional jerk who happened to serve.

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah he phucked up huge, however I certainly hope that after he gets proper treatment and has shown that he has regained his senses that he'll be able to one day get his LTC back.

Never happening (even if by some miracle he walks, this is unsuitable defined), but he probably has bigger problems than whether or not he can carry.

-Mike

Full retard road ragers should be prosecuted, but #3 shouldn't even be a crime to begin with, If he has a good attorney that charge might get dumped but I bet he still has to eat some other felony...

I think some time in a looney bin might be more helpful to this guy than prison, though, but who knows he could just be a conventional jerk who happened to serve.

-Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Never happening, but he probably has bigger problems than whether or not he can carry.

-Mike

Hey I think we all agree #3 shouldnt even be a crime to begin with, but the fact remains, it is.
This kid ****ed up, there are no ifs, ands, or buts about it, he ****ed up.
PTSD playing a part in this? Maybe. Maybe not. Everyone deals with their demons differently, unless I have young Ians DD214 in hand, Im gonna keep my opinion to myself on that.
Maybe the looney bin will help him, maybe not, but youre accurate (my opinion anyways) with your " conventional jerk who happenned to serve" comment.

Hey I think we all agree #3 shouldnt even be a crime to begin with, but the fact remains, it is.
He was charged with a non-crime in the case of #3.

Carry on ones person on school property is a crime. Possession is not. See MGL 169-10j and read it carefully.

It may sound like i am sticking up for this guy, but it is not my intent to stick up for this guy allegedly waving a gun at people on the road. I am certainly not condoning doing what he allegedly has done nor am I suggesting anyone do what he has allegedly done. There...I hope my disclaimer is fully active for this post...lol

It has always been my experience on the road that it takes two to tango. Having said that I'm not sure who initiated the incident. Was the other driver completely innocent? Did he cut off this man with the glock? Did he make threatening gesture prior to the gun incident?

I'm not saying it justifies what Ian has allegedly done but it should make other mushrooms looking to be stupid on the road pause and think of what that the other driver you decide to screw with might be thinking or have in his possession.

So my guess is that there was some erratic driving by both and a huge testosterone dump at some point where mine is bigger than yours and when Ian allegedly pulled out the glock then scared willy went running to the popo.

I'm all about the audit trail. So I am interested in who started the altercation. And NO....two wrongs don't make it right but there should be some investigation into scared willy to see who initially caused the incident. And if scared willy was instrumental with initiating the altercation then I think some charges should be brought against him as well.

I'm all about the audit trail. So I am interested in who started the altercation. And NO....two wrongs don't make it right but there should be some investigation into scared willy to see who initially caused the incident. And if scared willy was instrumental with initiating the altercation then I think some charges should be brought against him as well.

I am not. I don't give a frog's fat ass who started it. From my perspective, the only reason to draw a weapon on another motorist is if he is shooting at you or preparing to shoot at you. Even if the other guys was trying to run him off the road or ram his vehicle, it is just to easy to deescalate the whole thing by applying the brakes, putting on the blinker and pulling over, then call the cops.

Glock boy is a douchenozzle. Thanks a ton for giving the antis more fuel for the mandatory mental health screening that they salivate over.

I have talked to a neighbor kid who is more than a little pissed at some of these vets at the collage he is going to .

he says they are bragging to the chicks about how they won the war ect...,
when he knows they saw no action.

he was with 2/8 marines ,in Afganistan ,and was the entry guy with the dog and the shotgun, then a sniper in the field. Up front close and personal
was shot in the head and survived it.

so after reading about this incedent ,I think he might be on to something.

Last edited:
[AM I the only one who thinks that somebody who (1) waves his gun at somebody while driving, (2) admits to the police that he did it while (3) carrying his gun onto school property is somebody who shouldn't be carrying a gun?]

No...Not at all.

He was charged with a non-crime in the case of #3.

Carry on ones person on school property is a crime. Possession is not. See MGL 169-10j and read it carefully.

I believe its 269/10J, and Im pretty well versed in its content already,but thank you

From that Globe article:
"Speaking with officers in an empty classroom, Beagan then “confirmed that he had been driving on Route 9 west and had displayed a handgun inside his vehicle,” according to police. He gave the officers the keys to his Toyota; with Beagan’s permission, they found his Glock 23 locked inside, police said."

In what scenario has this ever worked out? He must truly believe he was justified for his road rage. Just completely nuts.

Someone tell Ian there are plenty of pre-ban G23 mags in the classifieds.
Ian+Beagan+Gun.jpg

Ian+Beagan+Gun.jpg

Back
Top Bottom