Do you shoot your defensive shotgun at the range?

We do at Dicks Sporting Goods...I think they are in the $450.00 range. The deer barrels now are rifled cantilever, so using it for HD may be problematic...

I'm pretty sure that a solid copper hollow point sabot slug will put a man down as good as a normal slug or buckshot [wink]

I'm pretty sure that a solid copper hollow point sabot slug will put a man down as good as a normal slug or buckshot [wink]

Really? You're kidding! I thought they were only good for deer....Wow! [/sarcasm]

Using a rifled deer barrel for home defense - while doable, is not something I'd recommend. It limits your ammunition choices to rifled slugs only, which may be a bit of a hinderance. Shooting buckshot out of a rifled barrel is not necessarily good juju....

I have just one shotgun, an 870. I put on the 28" barrel and shoot trap with it, and otherwise leave it in the safe with the rifle-sighted slug barrel. At our club we sometimes do five in a row, where you load your shotgun with five shells, and then they just leave the trap machine launcher button pressed, and you shoot them as fast as they come out. That is no problem with the 870 even though it's a pump. I can usually hit all of five of the clays pretty easily, cycling it is really fast.

Really? You're kidding! I thought they were only good for deer....Wow! [/sarcasm]

Using a rifled deer barrel for home defense - while doable, is not something I'd recommend. It limits your ammunition choices to rifled slugs only, which may be a bit of a hinderance. Shooting buckshot out of a rifled barrel is not necessarily good juju....

Wonder if there are any tests out there to see the results of such an action

Wonder if there are any tests out there to see the results of such an action

Yes. You end up with a doughnut pattern. The rifling spins the shot, and the resulting centrifugal force causes the shot to spread in a wider pattern, concentrated on the edges of the pattern with nothing in the middle.

Spinning is good for a single projectile (adds stability - think of a football) but it's bad for a cluster of smaller shot.

fp6a1.jpg

I have been know to bring one of these to shoot trap or Sporting clays on occasion. I also have a spare barrel that is 28in and choked that I prefer to use as the breacher is a pain in the butt to clean.[rofl]

It is not the best of choices but it can be fun.

At our club we sometimes do five in a row, where you load your shotgun with five shells, and then they just leave the trap machine launcher button pressed, and you shoot them as fast as they come out. That is no problem with the 870 even though it's a pump. I can usually hit all of five of the clays pretty easily, cycling it is really fast.

where do you shoot trap and when? cause that sounds like it would be pretty fun

Yes. You end up with a doughnut pattern. The rifling spins the shot, and the resulting centrifugal force causes the shot to spread in a wider pattern, concentrated on the edges of the pattern with nothing in the middle.

Spinning is good for a single projectile (adds stability - think of a football) but it's bad for a cluster of smaller shot.

I knew that, but I was hoping for an actual shot pattern paper.

My friend and I have made quite the mess of some pallets with "bad guy" targets on them at the local range with his 12 gauge semi. Quite satisfying![smile]

Back
Top Bottom