Do you shoot your defensive shotgun at the range?

I've been thinking about getting a Remington 870 or similar, but I'd like to be able to use it for more than home defense. It seems that the only real shotgun activity at the range is trap, but is it reasonable to shoot traps with a gun like an 870? Also, are there other shotgun shooting activities that I'm not thinking of? If I really get into trap shooting, I might think about getting a nicer/more specific shotgun, but for now I'd like something that can have a dual purpose, and something that won't cost all that much.

I belong to Mass Rifle and I usually go late at night and shot my HD shotgun at the indoor 75ft range. They allow all calibers except .50 BMG and no bird/buck shot, slugs only. Perfect for just getting it out once in a while and ripping some paper. Mine is a Remmy 870 as well. Pistol grip forend, Knoxx spec ops stock, laser/flashlight combo with pressure switches and a heat shield. It would look kind of funny on the trap range LOL

an 870 is absolutely reasonable for trap, as long as you have at least a 26 inch barrel, and modified or tighter chokes
if you have a short barrel with no chokes and cylinder bore, you're going to be largely just wasting shot.

The beauty of a shotgun, (much like an AR-15), is that it is a modular platform. Swapping out barrels on an 870 is easy as pie. You could easily buy yourself an 870 Express with a 28" barrel, a choke set and an 18.5" HD barrel. Down the road, pick up one of the new laser sighted 870 cantilever scoped deer barrel kits. You will effectively have a gun that you can shoot for any rhyme or reason, (home defense, skeet, birds, rabbits, deer, etc).

I think one of the major problems with people who own HD shotguns, is how little they actually use it. Many buy them, trick them out, load the tube and pop off a round once in a while - having no real concept how to utilize, nor understanding the strengths/limitations of a shotgun in a home defense role...I think you're on the right track. Grab that 870, (I prefer the Benelli Super Nova Tactical) and buy a spare barrel for recreational/hunting applications or vise-versa...Just remember: Train....

I blow stuff up at the range with my HD shotgun. Hell, it's more likely to be used for that than it is for home defense. [laugh] (Kidding aside, a handgun is usually easier for
me to get to when I need it... )

Produce blows up real good. [smile]

-Mike

Try this!
images

It will cost more, but the noise is worth it![laugh]

I blow stuff up at the range with my HD shotgun. Hell, it's more likely to be used for that than it is for home defense. [laugh] (Kidding aside, a handgun is usually easier for
me to get to when I need it... )

Produce blows up real good. [smile]

-Mike

LOL - I could watch BillK shoot cabbage off the bayonet of his 590A1 all day...The dude makes some killer coleslaw... [smile]

The beauty of a shotgun, (much like an AR-15), is that it is a modular platform. Swapping out barrels on an 870 is easy as pie. You could easily buy yourself an 870 Express with a 28" barrel, a choke set and an 18.5" HD barrel. Down the road, pick up one of the new laser sighted 870 cantilever scoped deer barrel kits. You will effectively have a gun that you can shoot for any rhyme or reason, (home defense, skeet, birds, rabbits, deer, etc).

Lets say I pick up an 870 with an 18" barrel. Do you have any suggestions on where to go or who to talk to about getting a longer barrel, and also learning how to put it on? Or should I find one with a 28" barrel and get a shorter one to put on?

Never having owned a shotgun, I don't have any idea on where to start with swapping out barrels. Is this the kind of thing I could do before going to the range and then swap back to the 18" when I get home?

You can get 870 barrels at many places. Dick's sometimes carries or can order them, Bass Pro usually has a rack, and many online dealers sell them. They're extremely common, and switching takes maybe 30 seconds.

Never having owned a shotgun, I don't have any idea on where to start with swapping out barrels. Is this the kind of thing I could do before going to the range and then swap back to the 18" when I get home?

Here's an idea: Go to Remington's website and download an 870 user's manual. It tells you exactly how to do it. In fact, you must remove the barrel from the gun to do a proper cleaning, so you may as well learn how now.

It is so easy, in fact, that you can take both barrels with you and swap them at the range.

I picked up my Mossberg 500 from Kittery for $325. Came with 28" vented ribbed barrel, 2 chokes, and rifled slug barrel with scope mount. Down the other side of the room the had a 18.5" barrel for $75. Very happy with it. Oh yeah thats new BTW.

an 870 is absolutely reasonable for trap, as long as you have at least a 26 inch barrel, and modified or tighter chokes
if you have a short barrel with no chokes and cylinder bore, you're going to be largely just wasting shot.
eh, it's more of a challenge, but I can do a 4/5 pretty reliably with my short barrel 500...

Not terribly rewarding, but its good practice...

Barrel change outs are pretty easy though... Firearms are always more fun when they are more accurate and you are absolutely correct that a longer barrel and a choke help a lot...

Lets say I pick up an 870 with an 18" barrel. Do you have any suggestions on where to go or who to talk to about getting a longer barrel, and also learning how to put it on? Or should I find one with a 28" barrel and get a shorter one to put on?

Frankly, I'd pick up an 870 with a 28" barrel first, then buy an 18.5" barrel online. If you can tie your shoes, you can change out a barrel...

Remington Two-Barrel package

A few years ago I bought an 870 with a 28" Remchoke barrel plus a 20" deer barrel in the same box. I don't know if they still do that, but check their website and a few dealers. If not, I second what the other guys said - buy a gun with a long barrel, then shop for a used short barrel. I've seen them in just about every small gun shop. You could also shop online - a barrel is not an item that requires official paperwork.

A few years ago I bought an 870 with a 28" Remchoke barrel plus a 20" deer barrel in the same box. I don't know if they still do that, but check their website and a few dealers. If not, I second what the other guys said - buy a gun with a long barrel, then shop for a used short barrel. I've seen them in just about every small gun shop. You could also shop online - a barrel is not an item that requires official paperwork.

We do at Dicks Sporting Goods...I think they are in the $450.00 range. The deer barrels now are rifled cantilever, so using it for HD may be problematic...

I shoot trap with my Mossberg 500, and swap the 28" barrel for the 18" barrel when it comes home. Swapping shotgun barrels is usually the work of moments.

It's got a full stock on it; not sure this would work as well with just a pistol grip. I like knowing it'll reliably go "boom", though.

I bought a sweet 870 Express Magnum 870 from a NES'r , NIB, and proceeded to strip the furniture and 28" Barrel off of it in favor of a Mossberg 18" replacement barrel and a Pachmayer pistol grip and forend.

It would take about 5 minutes to change the gun back to factory configuration.

When I was looking for my 18" barrel, it took a while to find, nobody had them, Kittery was showing 6 month back order, and I finally bought one locally when I stumbled upon it at about a 50% premium over what I could have gotten it for online if I was willing to wait.

Yes.

I have 2. A black Mossberg 500A w/ 18 1/2" heat-shielded barrel and a camo Mossberg 500A w/ 24" ported and ribbed barrel with Accu-Choke.

The local in-door range only allows solid slugs, so I tend to practice with slugs, though I've shot IDPA targets (generally with buckshot) and clay pigeons (with target/trap shells) as well.

Double Clays with a 18 1/2" barrel pump gun makes for a good practice with quick cycling and target aquisition. Start from a carry position during a sweep and you'll practice quick mounting as well.

Torso targets helps you pattern the weapon and learn where to hold the bead with your weapon against a man-sized target.

Too bad you didn't post this last month as there was just an IDPA style shotgun shoot at Pelham Fish and Game. Look around at the other clubs in your area and you'll probably find a practical type shotgun shoot coming up where you can put your home defense shotgun to a little use.

I would follow MassMark's recommendation and get the 870 with longer barrel first. It costs a bit less that way.

Back
Top Bottom