Didn't send COA in 30 days - any advice?

I was chatting with my hunting buddy yesterday during the superbowl and found out he never submitted a change of address when he moved from Waltham to Southie. He's been living in Southie for close to a year now. Should he send it now and take his chances? What do you guys think he should do so he doesn't loose his license? He has a LTC-A restricted.

I was chatting with my hunting buddy yesterday during the superbowl and found out he never submitted a change of address when he moved ...

Why does that not surprise me? [rolleyes]

File now - better a belated effort than none at all.

If I had $1 for every "hunter" who I've seen, heard, or otherwise know of a technical violation of state law, I'd be a very wealthy person.

MA gun laws are so complex, convoluted, and incomprehensible by the average adult that it is nearly impossible for your casual hunter to not violate something.

Probably the most violated one is the placing of a loaded gun in contact with a motor vehicle. Can't tell you how many times I've seen photos of a successful hunt and you just KNOW that shotgun leaning against the truck is still loaded.

Second is probably the required case on a public way. Just "pulling off the road" does not take you off the "Public Way" as the right of way of most roads extends far beyond the actual pavement.

Then you have the person who gets to a stand well before dawn, and you KNOW he is never without his 1911.

I could go on and on... But NONE of these people ever believe they are in violation of the law.

Probably the most violated one is the placing of a loaded gun in contact with a motor vehicle. Can't tell you how many times I've seen photos of a successful hunt and you just KNOW that shotgun leaning against the truck is still loaded.

Second is probably the required case on a public way. Just "pulling off the road" does not take you off the "Public Way" as the right of way of most roads extends far beyond the actual pavement.

Then you have the person who gets to a stand well before dawn, and you KNOW he is never without his 1911.

Chris, can you further explain a couple of these. I must admit, I was once the uneducated, law violating casual hunter until I found NES. Not being confrontation, just curious.

Are you saying a loaded gun in contact (just touching) with a vehicle is illegal? What do you mean by the "required case on a public way?" Also, I don't think it is illegal to be in your stand before hunting hours, you just can't shoot anything (the actual act of hunting) until proper time. Unless of course, your bowhunting with your 1911 on you, which is illegal in MA.

Having a loaded long gun in a vehicle is against the law. Leaning it against the vehicle is also illegal (and is in several states)

An uncased long arm cannot be carried on a public way.

Chris, can you further explain a couple of these. I must admit, I was once the uneducated, law violating casual hunter until I found NES. Not being confrontation, just curious.

Are you saying a loaded gun in contact (just touching) with a vehicle is illegal? What do you mean by the "required case on a public way?" Also, I don't think it is illegal to be in your stand before hunting hours, you just can't shoot anything (the actual act of hunting) until proper time. Unless of course, your bowhunting with your 1911 on you, which is illegal in MA.
GOALs Law Chart page is your friend: http://www.goal.org/legislation/quickoverview.html
As is their FAQ and Fact Sheets:
http://www.goal.org/misc/faq/faq.html
Carrying on Public Way: http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/269-12d.htm
MassWildlife has laws and regulations for hunting
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/regulations_home.htm
Their summary on hunting with handguns addresses the 1911 question:
http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/plain_language/hunting_handguns.htm
Didn't find one on the gun leaning against vehicles one yet but I'm sure it in there.

Wow. Add me to the ignorant hunter list.

I did not know this:
7. During the period from ½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise, the use or possession of any pistol or revolver chambered to take larger than .38 caliber ammunition is PROHIBITED.

I did not think a non-large capacity long gun needed to cased. I only see reference to large-capacity long guns.

Also, you can walk with your unloaded, uncased, hunting gun on a public way if you are actively hunting.

And, I didn't see anything regarding leaning a gun on a vehicle. Is this illegal in MA?

I did not know this:
7. During the period from ½ hour after sunset to ½ hour before sunrise, the use or possession of any pistol or revolver chambered to take larger than .38 caliber ammunition is PROHIBITED.

This is pretty amusing... so you can carry a .357 Sig with a 14 round magazine, or a 6/8 shot .357 Magnum but you can't carry a
1911 .45 while hunting? [laugh] these laws sure are fun.

-Mike

Strangly this law applies to the overnight hours. You can carry anything during typical hunting hours unless you are bowhunting deer.

I've never seen any reference to that one either...

This might cover it...

CHAPTER 131. INLAND FISHERIES AND GAME AND OTHER NATURAL RESOURCES

Chapter 131: Section 63. Loaded shotgun or rifle in motor vehicle, aircraft or motorboat

Section 63. A person, other than the director of law enforcement, his deputy directors of enforcement, chiefs of enforcement, deputy chiefs of enforcement, environmental police officers, deputy environmental police officers, warden and members of the state or local police in areas over which they have jurisdiction, special officers or persons charged with the protection of persons or property while acting in the discharge of their respective duties, as such, and paraplegics as provided in section sixty-five, shall not, except upon land owned or occupied by him, have in his possession or under his control in or on any motor vehicle or aircraft a loaded shotgun or rifle, nor shall he have in his possession or under his control in any motor boat a loaded shotgun or rifle unless authorized by the director in regulations relating to the hunting of migratory waterfowl; and any person shall, upon the demand of any officer authorized to enforce this chapter, display for inspection any shotgun or rifle in his possession or under his control in a motor vehicle, aircraft or motorboat while not on property owned or occupied by him.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/131-63.htm

Yup, that'd do it.

I could see that as a "got'cha" law.

Game warden, ranger approaches a couple of hunters, asks to see their permits/licenses. Hunter leans his loaded firearm against vehicle without thinking about it... Bingo! Busted!.

That's possible, I suppose. Of course, you're not supposed to be hunting within 150' of a roadway, so your gun should be unloaded when you're near your vehicle anyways.

Back when I was hunting, I had several encounters with EPOs. I never had any problem with any of them. They had more than enough trouble with nimrods. All they did was check my LTC, hunting license, and ask me if I'd seen any deer.

I remember one evening as I was putting my gear back into my car, I was listening to the EPO talking to another hunter. That hunter claimed he had a hunting license, but didn't have it with him. I don't think he had his FID with him either. It was clear that was going to take a while, and I just about had all my gear in the car when the EPO told the guy to stay there while he came over to check my licenses. The EPO seemed almost relieved that my licenses were in order so he could go back and deal with the idiot.

Heh. Where's my dollar? (^_^)

I did not think a non-large capacity long gun needed to cased. I only see reference to large-capacity long guns.

non-large does not need to be cased in your vehicle while in transport, but as soon as it becomes "on your person", and you are not off the public right of way, you are committing a felony.

Also, you can walk with your unloaded, uncased, hunting gun on a public way if you are actively hunting.

It is illegal to be engaged in hunting 150' of a Public way, so ON a public way is obviously a violation. And yes, you do need a case. Ron Glidden mentions this in his book. He also recommends to LEOs not to harass hunters with this if it is more of a hazard to return to the woods due to darkness, etc. The recommendation I give in my class is for hunters to buy a cheap "gun sock" that fits their hunting gun to slip it into if they find themselves on a road. They roll up small enough to keep in a pocket.

And, I didn't see anything regarding leaning a gun on a vehicle. Is this illegal in MA?

I think the quote above cinched this one.

Most LEOs are not jerks and won't bust a person who violates some of these crazy laws unless there is good reason. But just because you are not likely to be charged with it doesn't make it legal.

maybe i should keep a jar out to collect my $1 bills. (^_^)

OK, one last nugget... Did you know that you can have a gun on school property legally without any note?

Yup, so long as it isn't "on your person", your LTC exempts you from the Federal ban and the state law doesn't apply.

Of course, that pretty much just limits it to being locked up in the car before you enter School property, but it's still more than most people realize.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom