Dick's calls cops on Sikh woman who is a firearms instructor and wanted ammo

Did you all miss the fact that she bought a mask at the same time she was inquiring about ammo? Granted, it was an exercise mask, but the video's view of it showed that it would work perfectly as a disguise. They didn't say that, but that would raise the level of suspicions for me. I'm giving the clerk a break here.

Honestly? You're right! This would be a tough call to make. On one hand we criticize people for not reporting strange behavior for fear of racial profiling (see San Bernardino) , then here, we're criticizing this place for doing exactly that! (me included)

There is no answer....the MSM has everyone running scared, dazed and confused

Society has decided, and reasonably so, that despite the effectiveness of profiling, it is not an acceptable enforcement technique.

One thing that complicates the discussion is that people are unwilling to fact up to this basic reality, and like to pretend that profiling is not effective.

Profiling is just fine for lots of things. Enforcing laws is not one of them. In fact that only thing that should be use as a reason to enforce a law is a violation of law or provable intent with means of violating a law. But be careful of conflating profiling with stereotyping.

She does not look Muslim, facial features are typically much different.

WTF are you talking about? You do realize that Muslims aren't a race, right? What is a Muslim facial feature? There are more Muslims in SE Asia than the Middle East, so maybe looking Asian is a Muslim facial feature...[rolleyes]

Would cops do that- just show up at the door with nothing and show their hand ?
She doesn't seem too concerned with being profiled and visited by the press.

WTF does "looks Muslim" even mean? It's not a race, yanno.

Larg_Hijab_Amira_Muslim_Headwear_ladies_scarf.jpg

That statement is not backed up by data.
That is a politically correct statement, however, unfortunately, it is (on an aggregate, statistical basis - not on an individual one) probably not true. Pretending the issue does not exist is an obstacle to confronting the problem head on.

For example, an oft cited statistic is that on any given day 30% of African American males between 20 and 29 are under some form of court supervision or have a record (http://www.historyisaweapon.com/defcon1/streeracpripov.html). I don't have a cite showing that this is not the case for asians in their mid 30's (the example I cited), but I expect it to be the case.

Jesse Jackson acknowledged this sad reality when he said "there is nothing more painful to me … than to walk down the street and hear footsteps and start thinking about robbery, then look around and see somebody white and feel relieved" (http://www.nytimes.com/1993/12/12/opinion/in-america-a-sea-change-on-crime.html)

But, profiling deprives persons of a right to be treated as individuals, based on their personal background and behavior. It also serves to perpetuate resentment from all individuals in a targeted group, not just the criminals (note that the first statistic also says 70% of young black males have no involvement with the justice system). The decision that police should not use profiling is a good one for society, however, that does not necessarily mean it is not effective. It simply means the societal costs exceeds the benefit.

"White privilege" is hearing "May I see your LTC sir?" instead of "On the pavement mofo!".

Even so, the issue remains that profiling can be quite effective in certain circumstces. El Al profiles every passenger (for Israel departures), and it seems to work for them.

Last edited:
We should eliminate "profiling" from our vocabulary and substitute "Abductive Reasoning" which would certainly make it more politically correct

Abductive reasoning (also called abduction,[1] abductive inference[2] or retroduction[3]) is a form of logical inference which goes from an observation to a theory which accounts for the observation, ideally seeking to find the simplest and most likely explanation. In abductive reasoning, unlike in deductive reasoning, the premises do not guarantee the conclusion. One can understand abductive reasoning as "inference to the best explanation".[4]

If it walks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck.............. there you have it.

My friend that is Muslim from Iraq doesn't wear one ....

What derivative of islam is she? Also there are a shitload of young women in this country who come from islamic families that are pretty much ashamed of their religion, or at least many aspects of it. A friend of mine has one that he works with, she looks like any other typical american woman at work or if she's out hanging out with her friends, but she dresses down and goes into durka mode when she goes home because she has to deal with her family.

-Mike

What derivative of islam is she? Also there are a shitload of young women in this country who come from islamic families that are pretty much ashamed of their religion, or at least many aspects of it. A friend of mine has one that he works with, she looks like any other typical american woman at work or if she's out hanging out with her friends, but she dresses down and goes into durka mode when she goes home because she has to deal with her family.

-Mike

I forget . Her family had money and came here right before 9/11 and her brothers enlisted to be translators soon after.
She follows some of there rules like not drinking , dressing modest in public etc but I had some fun times if you know what I mean .

I forget . Her family had money and came here right before 9/11 and her brothers enlisted to be translators soon after.
She follows some of there rules like not drinking , dressing modest in public etc but I had some fun times if you know what I mean .

I work with a guy (a very close colleague) who is of the Islamic faith and is Iranian. I believe he's been in the country for while, or even may have been born here. He has NO foreign accent and has above average command of the English language. He's very friendly, intelligent and eloquent and he knows his shit. He's a great guy! Will he ever turn around one day and shoot me? Who the Fu(k knows?

I work with a guy (a very close colleague) who is of the Islamic faith and is Iranian. I believe he's been in the country for while, or even may have been born here. He has NO foreign accent and has above average command of the English language. He's very friendly, intelligent and eloquent and he knows his shit. He's a great guy! Will he ever turn around one day and shoot me? Who the Fu(k knows?

I worked with one, he was a scientist. Mohammad, or Moe. From Iran, grew up Muslim. Awesome guy, loved him. I'd have no issues trusting him with anything. He used to say "man, the whole Islam thing is bullshit"

If she was a firearms instructor how much trouble would it have been to show the guy some identification...you know, like a business card or something?

- - - Updated - - -

I'd hit it [smile]

Do you feel you should have to prove you're a firearms instructor to buy a few boxes of ammo?

I worked with one, he was a scientist. Mohammad, or Moe. From Iran, grew up Muslim. Awesome guy, loved him. I'd have no issues trusting him with anything. He used to say "man, the whole Islam thing is bullshit"

A lot of the people who emigrated from Iran after the 1979 revolution were moderate Muslims or people who were pretty much secular and Muslim in name only (MINOs?), and who were fearful of the growing fundamentalism in the region. Tehran in the 1970s was very modern. Men were clean-shaven, mostly, with beards a fashion choice rather than a religious requirement, and women wore fashionable western clothing and mostly didn't cover their heads. Then came the 1979 revolution and the Ayatollahs put an end to all that. Folks who were not comfortable living in an authoritarian society dominated by fundamentalist Islam and religious law left.

We should eliminate "profiling" from our vocabulary and substitute "Abductive Reasoning" which would certainly make it more politically correct

Abductive reasoning (also called abduction,[1] abductive inference[2] or retroduction[3]) is a form of logical inference which goes from an observation to a theory which accounts for the observation, ideally seeking to find the simplest and most likely explanation. In abductive reasoning, unlike in deductive reasoning, the premises do not guarantee the conclusion. One can understand abductive reasoning as "inference to the best explanation".[4]

If it walks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck.............. there you have it.

Abductive reasoning = common sense. Not everyone has it.

Above average command of English.... no chance he was born here....

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Too bad the woman is careening towards the police academy and has to play nice. Otherwise she could have benefited from a civil rights home decor accessory.
US Navy must be crawling with them.

Ugh. Those things. I hated those hoods. DC drills in Gitmo during July when they kill ships power and its 110 below deck. They would be soaking wet, and I never remember a time when I ever saw them get laundered.

Ugh. Those things. I hated those hoods. DC drills in Gitmo during July when they kill ships power and its 110 below deck. They would be soaking wet, and I never remember a time when I ever saw them get laundered.

Cool trivia: when we saw "The Final Countdown", a pal who'd been in the 6th Fleet during the mid-70's said he could spot the Navy extras. In the [STRIKE=LINE]CIC[/STRIKE] CDC scene, all the real sailors at battle stations had their shirt collars flipped up like Ming the Merciless to protect their necks from flash burns, but the pretty boy actors either didn't know that was authentic, or didn't want to look silly.

Last edited:

Cool trivia: when we saw "The Final Countdown", a pal who'd been in the 6th Fleet during the mid-70's said he could spot the Navy extras. In the CIC scene, all the real sailors at battle stations had their shirt collars flipped up like Ming the Merciless to protect their necks from flash burns, but the pretty boy actors either didn't know that was authentic, or didn't want to look silly.

Could you guys fill in the rest of us on these? What is their purpose, and what is "CIC"?

Could you guys fill in the rest of us on these? What is their purpose, and what is "CIC"?

Wikipedia: Anti-flash gear.

Wikipedia: CIC/CDC/Operations Room. But they're changing from a cramped space loaded with specialized gear (like a submarine's bridge), to something more like a NASA Mission Control room, which use more generic workstation consoles and a few wall displays: The Navy's Newest Linux-Powered Command Center Is Right Out Of Star Trek.

I haven't lived any of that - for me, just book larnin', and a tour of Cassin Young. Any Navy vet who's served at sea can provide better info.

Back
Top Bottom