Deval's Coronation

Found this column by Brian McGrory in the Globe this morning:

BRIAN MCGRORY
Deval's coronation
By Brian McGrory, Globe Columnist | December 8, 2006

Great start, Deval. Great start.

If you put your most trusted strategists in a room and asked them to outline the exact way in which you don't want to begin your governorship, I guarantee you these would be the first two items on their list:

Don't cozy up to lobbyists.

Don't hold a massive, self-celebratory inaugural gala.

And look what you've gone and done.

First things first: When does an inauguration become a coronation? Maybe after the fourth day.

Deval L . Patrick has planned a five-day extravaganza for early January costing anywhere from $1 million to $1.6 million, a state record, and perhaps twice what Mitt Romney spent. Exact details haven't been released, but Patrick apparently plans to ride a hand-carried chariot from Boston to the Berkshires as a collection of serfs throws rose petals.

Just kidding, but barely. There will be parties here, parties there, parties everywhere, including a private event for big-ticket donors who are footing the bulk of the bill. The big gala, which is supposed to be accessible to the average Joe, costs $50 a head. I don't know of a lot of working couples ready to spend $100 to watch their governor and the first lady waltz.

Patrick's finance people, I'm told, were seething yesterday over the appearances of this bender, wondering if someone had lost his or her mind. Patrick, somewhat earnestly, sought their advice on what he should do instead.

Try this. Try throwing the gates around the State House wide open on Inaugural Day. Try unlocking every door in the complex. Let the public toss footballs on the lawn. Let them wander the House and Senate chambers, pose around the gubernatorial portraits, and poke their heads into the governor's office.

Then stand in the Great Hall from morning until night and greet every single resident who wants to come by and share fears and dreams. The message: This is your building, your government, your future, and I'm here to listen and ready to act.

If you want, do it again in Worcester and in Springfield. The whole thing wouldn't cost more than a hundred thousand dollars in security and hot coffee to keep the masses warm.

Yesterday, Patrick defended the festivities, telling reporters, "This is about including people." But the people don't want parties; they want good government. They don't want pomp and circumstance; they want tough decisions and strong results.

And they certainly don't want their newly elected governor who campaigned on a mantle of reform cozying up to lobbyists before he even takes the oath. The Globe reported yesterday that Timothy P. Murray, the incoming lieutenant governor, was to be the featured speaker at a breakfast hosted by one of the city's most influential lobbying firms for the benefit of its clients. The event was canceled after the story. Brilliant, guys. Brilliant.

Patrick, with all his eloquence, brains, and mandate, has more potential to succeed as governor than anyone in memory. He ran a campaign based on hope, so here's hoping that hubris doesn't get in the way of his success.

Reporter's note: Years ago, nice-guy politico Jim Brett ran for mayor and lost. Everyone in town knew that if his brother, Bill, a longtime Globe photographer, had been the candidate, we'd still have a Mayor Brett.

More evidence: This afternoon, Bill Brett will pull into a Roxbury driveway in a barely used Ford Explorer, a gift for young Kai Leigh Harriott. Kai Leigh was paralyzed by a stray bullet when she was 3 years old. She forgave the shooter in court earlier this year.

Kai Leigh's mother has relied on the T to transport her wheelchair-bound daughter and has refused offers of a handicap van because Kai Leigh doesn't want to feel singled out. When Brett photographed them in November for an upcoming book, he was touched and told his friend, the philanthropist David Mugar, about their plight.

Mugar insisted on buying and insuring a vehicle for them. Today is delivery day.

Brian McGrory is a Globe columnist. He can be reached [email protected].

© Copyright 2006 Globe Newspaper Company.

....and so begins the slide of rthe democtrats???? He's not even in yet and already this is starting....am I missing something?

[cheers] [popcorn]
It can only get better , the Globe should of let Murray enjoy His breakfast with Friends , the Herald and Howie , would of had a field day with it.
It is the "0nly way " to let the people see , Who they really elected , and WHAT He really stands for.
It will get better , just do some research ( Google ) on Devil Patrick , not the stuff put out by Him or the Democratic party.

Bob

Last edited:
On the news last night there was a short segment stating Devil's staff had "suggested" raising taxes.

Gosh - I'm shocked - NOT !

it gets better

remember the $735Mil. he thought was waste, oh well, he says it isn't.

We're gonna get F****D like never before. Forget about the gun thing,

I will bet hes gonna jack up the water rates, will force cities and towns
to raise property taxes, fines and fees might stay the same, and the welfare
croud along with illegals will be living nice.

Romney gave certain state cops the authority to arrest illegals, Deval
(according to the news) doesn't think its a good idea. Oh yeh, the turnpike
tolls get used to them, and teachers will be looking good, 2 million buys
alot.

Wonder if he speaks Spanish....

JimB

I don't think there is a section of the MGL's that authorizes a recall for a statewide elected official.

There are several towns that have adopted recall provisions under home rule. Those need to be approved by the MA legislature, so I'm not sure why we don't, or if we can.

Oddly, Massachusetts was the first state to allow for a recall in the laws of the Massachusetts Bay Colony (1631), and later the Massachusetts Charter of 1691.

I wonder if you can have a citizens's petition though. Of course, it would need to go before a joint legislative session, AND be heard. As we recently learned, nothing says that they HAVE to hear you.

remember the $735Mil. he thought was waste, oh well, he says it isn't.

We're gonna get F****D like never before. Forget about the gun thing,

I will bet hes gonna jack up the water rates, will force cities and towns
to raise property taxes, fines and fees might stay the same, and the welfare
croud along with illegals will be living nice.

Romney gave certain state cops the authority to arrest illegals, Deval
(according to the news) doesn't think its a good idea. Oh yeh, the turnpike
tolls get used to them, and teachers will be looking good, 2 million buys
alot.

Wonder if he speaks Spanish....

JimB

He owes the Teacher's Unions big time. That will be the demise of 2.5.

TBP

I don't think there is a section of the MGL's that authorizes a recall for a statewide elected official.

There are several towns that have adopted recall provisions under home rule. Those need to be approved by the MA legislature, so I'm not sure why we don't, or if we can.

Oddly, Massachusetts was the first state to allow for a recall in the laws of the Massachusetts Bay Colony (1631), and later the Massachusetts Charter of 1691.

I wonder if you can have a citizens's petition though. Of course, it would need to go before a joint legislative session, AND be heard. As we recently learned, nothing says that they HAVE to hear you.

We already know from the gay marriage amendment stuff that has been going on the the referendum vote to put the state income tax back down to 5% that the legislature could really care less what the voters of this state want - so even if there was a recall provision it probably would not matter - the legislature would not abide by it.

He owes the Teacher's Unions big time. That will be the demise of 2.5.

TBP
I agree with You totally , WoW 2.5 , it was 2.3 Million the last time I checked , before the election ended.
It will be very intresting to see what He tries to sneak in for the Teachers Union . He does owe them more then big time.
Lets hope the Herald and Howie are watching closeley.

Back
Top Bottom