Deval's budget cuts will cause a significant slowdown in permit processing.

Rockrivr1

NES Member
While I was riding home this afternoon I was listening to WBZ1030AM and they played parts of Deval's press conference. In the speach and in the recap one of the thing that Deval stated was that there would be a "significant slow down in permit processing". This is obviously very vague, but I get a very strong feeling this will hit gun permits pretty hard and put them down at the bottom of the priority process. What else would be new though.

Anyone else hear that? I'll post that part of his speach if I find it.

This is a standard liberal trick to fool the idiots amongst us that government budget cuts will impact the average person.

The ONLY services targeted are the low income workers who actually deal with the public. That sends the message to us sheep that we really need government.

Meanwhile, the totally bloated and corrupt sections of the government, the executive branch, legislature, courts and other worthless, do-nothings are not touched.

That's how the moonbats get other moonbats to go to the polls and voted against the elimination of the income tax.

I have come to the conclusion that most Americans are now just too stupid to exist, much less vote.

Edit to clarify that I am not referring to the OP with the above statement

Last edited:
As though you needed any additional proof that you can't trust any politician.

• On one side they tell the populace that guns are bad.
  • They then charge money for those who need the permits, both directly by the state and by support of the industry by means of mandatory classes (not complaining on either).
  • Then to cover the budget shortfalls they jack up the rates on the licenses, while at the same time still sticking to point number 1.
  • Then to cover the new budget mess they appeal to the class of citizens they've been screwing for the last 9 years. While still sticking to point one.

Gotta love government.

As though you needed any additional proof that you can't trust any politician.

• On one side they tell the populace that guns are bad.
  • They then charge money for those who need the permits, both directly by the state and by support of the industry by means of mandatory classes (not complaining on either).
  • Then to cover the budget shortfalls they jack up the rates on the licenses, while at the same time still sticking to point number 1.
  • Then to cover the new budget mess they appeal to the class of citizens they've been screwing for the last 9 years. While still sticking to point one.

Gotta love government.

"...and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

Yeah, but hopefully there will be less money to pay uniformed yahoos from walking up to your treestand and demanding to see your license and permits!

Yeah, but hopefully there will be less money to pay uniformed yahoos from walking up to your treestand and demanding to see your license and permits!

That'll never happen. In fact, if it makes money for the state through fines, we'll probably see an increase in uniformed "revenue agents".

I heard it.

Patrick, of course, is missing the point entirely. Why not allow non-felon, adult, sane people to just simply purchase firearms?

No permit required. If no permit is required, no processing required.

Yeah, but unfortunately those same yahoos perform other functions associated with LE and environmental issues as well...that's like saying that there will be fewer cops to give out parking tickets, which also means that there will be fewer cops to apprehend criminals and to protect society at large.

Be careful what you wish for.

Mark L.

How many people and how much time does it take to say, "This person is not a felony, this person has a criminal record or not and if so this is what it says?"

I can't imagine that they have to manually go through records...

And don't LTC permits cost 3-4 times as much as drivers licenses?

One can argue that if the 2nd Amendment gets "incorporated" under the 14th to be protected from infringement by the states, then undue burdens on the right to keep and bear arms are unconstitutional.

If so, how can a 3+ month wait for a permit for a right be allowed?

We've mentioned before that his would mean that anything more than a minimal fee for a gun license would not be allowed. Even a $1. poll tax would be struck down, so I don't see how even a $10. could be sustained.

One can argue that if the 2nd Amendment gets "incorporated" under the 14th to be protected from infringement by the states, then undue burdens on the right to keep and bear arms are unconstitutional.

If so, how can a 3+ month wait for a permit for a right be allowed?

We've mentioned before that his would mean that anything more than a minimal fee for a gun license would not be allowed. Even a $1. poll tax would be struck down, so I don't see how even a $10. could be sustained.

You just complain about a 3+ month wait? I complain about $100/yr and unreasonable laws against my self defence.

How many people and how much time does it take to say, "This person is not a felony, this person has a criminal record or not and if so this is what it says?"

Well doobie, this is my tongue check understanding. Its like this.

First the licensing officer who is too busy to take your application has to wait until he has desk duty. Because the department is short staffed.
Hes got to let it sit, then run it by the Chief, who is also busy trying to fill slots in his short staff.
The forms get mailed when someone else has the time to mail it between calling in off duty officers to deal with the shortage of staff.
It is received someplace where it sits for a moment. Again due to the short staffing.
Someone reads it, does some computer work (data entry/retrieval) but the network is down...you guessed it: Due to short staffing...

and so on.

It's a simple procedure really...
1. Cut jobs
2. Newly unemployed people get welfare
3. Welfare increase = Salary decrease
4. State is still broke, only now there is less government service.
5. Raise taxes because "cutting spending" didn't work

Time to post this again::

http://www.boston.com/yourlife/health/other/articles/2007/01/27/6_figure_pay_for_care_plan_overseers/

6-figure pay for care plan overseers
Salaries at new state agency stir concern

By Andrea Estes, Globe Staff | January 27, 2007

Employees of the new state agency established to provide health insurance to the state's low-income residents have been hired at an average salary of $111,000 a year, with 12 of the 22 staff members making more than $100,000 and six earning more than Governor Deval Patrick and his Cabinet secretaries.

The state's landmark universal healthcare law, approved last year to provide affordable coverage to the state's approximately 500,000 uninsured residents, has created a bureaucracy with a salary scale like that of the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority or the Massachusetts Port Authority, two quasi-independent agencies that Patrick and former governor Mitt Romney have railed against for their overly generous compensation packages.

With the agency struggling to provide the affordable premiums the legislation promised, some community leaders and lawmakers involved in the program's development said they were surprised by the salaries, which are being paid initially through a $25 million appropriation by the Legislature. Eventually the Commonwealth Health Insurance Connector's administrative costs will be funded by insurance companies through a surcharge on premiums.

"I am going to call in the director and find out where they're spending the money," said House Speaker Salvatore F . DiMasi, one of the architects of the legislation. "We don't want administrative costs to be too high. We want the money spent efficiently."

Senator Richard Moore, who helped shepherd the bill through the Legislature, said : "If they're paying large salaries, the $25 million isn't going to last long."

A spokesman for the Connector said the salaries reflect "each individual's ability, experience, and responsibilities.

"People who have come to work at the Connector did so to be involved in something exciting, challenging, and historic, and for some that means earning less," said Richard Powers, the Connector's director of public affairs, who pointed out that five of the eight senior staff members are making less than they did at their previous jobs.

He said most of the employees had an extensive background in the health insurance industry.

Under the health insurance law, approved last April, all adults must obtain insurance coverage by July 1 or pay a penalty, unless they secure a waiver by proving they can't afford insurance.

The law established the Connector, which has a staff of 22 employees and is overseen by an unpaid 10-member board.

Last week, the board postponed a vote to set minimal coverage requirements, after learning that it could cost the average individual $380 a month.

The Connector's executive director, Jon Kingsdale, who earns $225,000 a year, determined the compensation for other employees.

The second-highest paid, deputy director Rosemarie Day, was hired at $195,000 a year, but her salary was reduced to $175,500 when she opted for a four-day week.

Some members of the 10-member board that oversees the Connector were also surprised when Kingsdale informed them of the high salaries and administrative costs, including a recently awarded $4 million advertising contract to educate the public, according to one board member.

"We had to go with the people he chose," said the board member, who spoke on condition of anonymity because members are not authorized to speak to the media. "We didn't have time for people to learn on the job. We needed people who at least understood the industries they were dealing with. The real problem is the industry pays their folks really high, and to get them to come over -- they're not going to do it for a huge wage cut."

Ultimately, under the state's plan, insurers will fund the salaries and other administrative expenses by paying a surcharge of 4 to 5 percent on the premiums they collect as a result of the program. Some have raised concerns that insurers will pass along the cost to consumers in higher premiums.

"The cost of the salaries will be part of the cost of the insurance, " asserted David Tuerck, executive director of the Beacon Hill Institute, a conservative think tank.

"The Connector was created to take the cost off budget and put it onto the insurance companies," he said. "I would describe [the surcharge] as a disingenuous attempt to mask the cost of healthcare reform."

A spokesman for the Massachusetts Association of Health Plans was not available to comment on the surcharge.

Several lawmakers said that they did not intend to create a cumbersome new bureaucracy when they passed the landmark law.

According to DiMasi, the House specifically pressed to make the Connector a state agency, part of the Secretariat of Administration and Finance, so it would be directly accountable to the governor.

Others, particularly members of the Senate, argued that the Connector should be independent so it could have more flexibility in hiring and compensation.

The 10-member board is composed of four state officials, three appointed by the governor and three by the attorney general.

Eric Fehrnstrom, a spokesman for Romney, said the former governor pushed for an independent authority because it was the most efficient way for uninsured employees to buy health insurance on a pretax basis.

"The quasi-governmental entity structure was selected due to the singular mission of the Connector, which is to maximize the number of people with insurance," Fehrnstrom said. "No other state agency is tasked with this assignment."

John McDonough, executive director of Health Care for All and a former state representative, said he does not believe the compensation is too high.

"Compared to what people make in state government, these salaries are high, but not compared to what comparable people make in a commercial insurance world," he said. "If they didn't pay these salaries, I don't believe they would be getting the quality people they need to do this highly complex operation."

But McDonough cautioned that the financial underpinnings of the system are so precarious that the Connector may not be able to sustain itself as envisioned.

"The whole structure is fraught with uncertainty," he said. "This is a challenging task requiring a lot of thoughtful delicate balancing to make the coverage favorable enough so people want it and affordable enough so people can buy it.

"If they fail to do that and people don't buy the policies, they won't have the revenue to support the operation."

A spokesman for Patrick, whose salary is $140,535 a year, declined comment on Connector salaries.

(Correction: Because of a reporting error, Rosemarie Day's work schedule was misstated in a Page One story Saturday about the salaries paid to employees of the state agency implementing the universal healthcare law. Day, who earns $175,500 annually, alternates between four-day work weeks and five-day work weeks.)

While I was riding home this afternoon I was listening to WBZ1030AM and they played parts of Deval's press conference. In the speach and in the recap one of the thing that Deval stated was that there would be a "significant slow down in permit processing". This is obviously very vague, but I get a very strong feeling this will hit gun permits pretty hard and put them down at the bottom of the priority process. What else would be new though

I seriously doubt that Patrick was talking about FIDs and LTCs in particular. He was talking about all the hundreds of other types of permits and licenses that the state issues.

Will the time for FID/LTC processing increase? Maybe. But I strongly suspect that the CHSB is far too small a target (that is, not enough people work there for major savings to be found) for Patrick to have even been thinking about it.

I seriously doubt that Patrick was talking about FIDs and LTCs in particular. He was talking about all the hundreds of other types of permits and licenses that the state issues.

Will the time for FID/LTC processing increase? Maybe. But I strongly suspect that the CHSB is far too small a target (that is, not enough people work there for major savings to be found) for Patrick to have even been thinking about it.

You may be right, but I wouldn't doubt if in the back of his mind he was thinking about how this would stick it to us gun owners.

Unless he can exploit more money out of us.

That's what worries me about this line in the Globe article: "The governor is trying to revive several initiatives that have failed in the Legislature." I'm sure he'd love to try to jack up the LTC/FID application fees again.

There is more involved in the whole licensing procedure than what you are aware of. It is not simply checking a persons criminal record. The CHSB is involved, the State Identification Section is involved, plus all the other inquiries that are sent out like to Mental Health, then there is the local Department itself and the licensing officer usually does that job as a secondary or additional duty.

Now before anyone gets on their soapbox and decries the system...it is the way it is and it isn't going to get any better unless there is a massive reform of our gun laws in the Commonwealth...and what do you think the odds of that happening?

It's not a simple process.

Mark L.

The second-highest paid, deputy director Rosemarie Day, was hired at $195,000 a year, but her salary was reduced to $175,500 when she opted for a four-day week.

Wow - a whopping 11% pay reduction because she takes 1 day in 5 off - and it's really less than that since she no doubt did not have a reduction in health insurance payments.

I wonder if my employer would let me take 20% of my time off, keep me on full health insurance, and continue to pay me 89% of my salary :)

But I strongly suspect that the CHSB is far too small a target ... for Patrick to have even been thinking about it.

Did you catch the nice, you-need-big-govt move on the TV news last night. They are laying off about 16 blind, min-wage earners at Fergusson Industries for the Blind (state funded program). Actually offered early retirement (saving even less).

No need to cut the big wasters -- these headlines scream need for high taxes.

My girlfriend works in the Human Service Field helping Mental Challenged Adults. She got word today that our fearless leader has decided that come 12/1 all day programs to help Mentally Challenged Adults will be closed. She works for a company out of Chelsea that does a ton of work with Schzyofrenic(sp) adults..It sucks, as these people counted on those programs..Kick in the balls is driving home yesterday from the MRA Fun Shoot there is a LED Sign..NOW HIRING PLOW DRIVERS!

My girlfriend works in the Human Service Field helping Mental Challenged Adults. She got word today that our fearless leader has decided that come 12/1 all day programs to help Mentally Challenged Adults will be closed. She works for a company out of Chelsea that does a ton of work with Schzyofrenic(sp) adults..It sucks, as these people counted on those programs..Kick in the balls is driving home yesterday from the MRA Fun Shoot there is a LED Sign..NOW HIRING PLOW DRIVERS!

Your girlfriend can rest easy at night knowing the cut in these services will guarantee a years supply in printer ink to print welfare checks and section 8 vouchers!

Back
Top Bottom