• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Defense Distributed Shut Down by DOD

What if someone in a foreign country posts something? Gee, what is the most popular gun around the world?

It's so funny that they're using ITAR to as an excuse when there's literally tens of millions of AKs available in 3rd world countries. It's to keep us from arming ourselves.

Keep sharing the file and this will be just like the encryption case. The best way to get them off his back is to spread it like wildfire.

Exactly. Just like the PGP shenanigans.

I don't care about the files or the content but i just downloaded it to have it because they don't want me to have it. Also MAYBE I might want them in the future

damn I probably have black vans surrounding my house now.

Targeted.

[PREDATOR UAV]
Interesting post pertinent to the ITAR discussion, since the Chinese have displayed what appears to be a Predator clone. The US has recently accused the Chinese of engaging in "cyberwarfare" against the US, the French have been accused of using state agents to commit industrial espionage, and I once even had a Pakastini (many years ago) contact us about buying an eight-processor Silicon Graphics computer system that had two primary uses: predicting weather and designing nuclear weapons. I called the local FBI office.

ku-xlarge.jpg

Defcad aside, I am really not into having other, potentially hostile countries copying technology we spent our hard-earned taxpayer dollars on. That does not apply to a single shot pistol.

None of those links work as of 7am 5/12/13? Nor does the NZ link.

Forbes ran these articles and the full text of the State Department letter is online there.

As some of you know, we make a living selling commercial 3D printers. So questions of legality aside, I want to tell you all to be careful when using this technology. Careful in the way your shop teacher told you to be careful, or maybe even "You'll shoot your eye out, kid."

There are a number of processes and materials used to make 3D printed parts. There are big, big differences between, say, a part made from ABS on a RepRap or other "Maker grade" machine, different photopolymer-based systems, and the types of large, sophisticated machines used in industry.

DEFCAD used a commercial 3D printer to build the parts for this gun, and their stated design goal was to build one good for one shot. The cost of the materials to build this "single shot, single time" gun probably exceed what you can buy a good pistol for at a gun shop.

So, for those of you considering actually making one of these things, I'd be very, very careful with test firing. The fact is that someone with minimal machining skills could make a hell of a lot more practical gun for a hell of a lot less money in a hell of a lot less time.

And that's the safety concern. The only real advantage of a 3D printed gun is that you need no skill, experience or intelligence to download the files and print them. So don't let your dumbass friends hurt themselves. I won't be printing one of these out as I'd rather be using the material for important stuff like motorcycle parts.

The one thing I didn't see in the Defcad test firing is a chronometer. AFAIK they used a .380 cartridge, with a standard commercial brass case and typical loading. These cartridges usually generate about 200 ft lbs of energy when fired from a steel barrel. I would like to point out to you non-physicists and engineers that kinetic energy varies as the square of the velocity - the formula is 1/2 times the mass times the velocity squared. Put another way, if muzzle velocity is halved, the muzzle energy is one quarter.

It's not far-fetched to think that a very short plastic chamber and barrel would generate half to two thirds the muzzle velocity of a precision-made commercial product. So you'd have a bullet fired one time out of an unrifled barrel that would deliver somewhere between 50 and 100 ft lbs of energy: substantially less than a .22LR.

From a public safety perspective, the cartridge is still metallic and uses commercial - detectable - propellant. There are all manner of ways in which people conceal firearms, so the TSA and others seem to be focused on looking for suspicious-looking metallic parts and the propellants used for ammunition and explosives. So man's best friend in the form of a explosive-sniffing Labrador Retriever will likely remain as our primary defense when flying.

Last edited:
I don't care about the files or the content but i just downloaded it to have it because they don't want me to have it. Also MAYBE I might want them in the future

damn I probably have black vans surrounding my house now.

Same here. Right after, I "ran into" a local PD detective that chatted me up a little. I'm certain it was a coincidence, but there will always be that little nagging question inside. [laugh]

Defcad aside, I am really not into having other, potentially hostile countries copying technology we spent our hard-earned taxpayer dollars on. That does not apply to a single shot pistol.
Too bad we used our most sophisticated weaponry to go after binLaden and let it fall into the hands of the Chinese.

dis:STL Viewer | Free Graphics software downloads at SourceForge.net

hell, i think i still have some of the early receiver designs as well as the mags. i've been following this shit since the beginning.

i caled trijicon and asked for a manual for a reflex sight i have--i was told due to ITAR they can't just give it to me, i'd need to have the serial for the optic. can't send a PDF, can't send a little paper book. because ITAR. that's going to become my new saying...

sorry bro... itar.

Interesting post pertinent to the ITAR discussion, since the Chinese have displayed what appears to be a Predator clone. The US has recently accused the Chinese of engaging in "cyberwarfare" against the US, the French have been accused of using state agents to commit industrial espionage, and I once even had a Pakastini (many years ago) contact us about buying an eight-processor Silicon Graphics computer system that had two primary uses: predicting weather and designing nuclear weapons. I called the local FBI office.

ku-xlarge.jpg

None of those links work as of 7am 5/12/13? Nor does the NZ link.

Forbes ran these articles and the full text of the State Department letter is online there.

As some of you know, we make a living selling commercial 3D printers. So questions of legality aside, I want to tell you all to be careful when using this technology. Careful in the way your shop teacher told you to be careful, or maybe even "You'll shoot your eye out, kid."

There are a number of processes and materials used to make 3D printed parts. There are big, big differences between, say, a part made from ABS on a RepRap or other "Maker grade" machine, different photopolymer-based systems, and the types of large, sophisticated machines used in industry.

DEFCAD used a commercial 3D printer to build the parts for this gun, and their stated design goal was to build one good for one shot. The cost of the materials to build this "single shot, single time" gun probably exceed what you can buy a good pistol for at a gun shop.

So, for those of you considering actually making one of these things, I'd be very, very careful with test firing. The fact is that someone with minimal machining skills could make a hell of a lot more practical gun for a hell of a lot less money in a hell of a lot less time.

And that's the safety concern. The only real advantage of a 3D printed gun is that you need no skill, experience or intelligence to download the files and print them. So don't let your dumbass friends hurt themselves. I won't be printing one of these out as I'd rather be using the material for important stuff like motorcycle parts.

The one thing I didn't see in the Defcad test firing is a chronometer. AFAIK they used a .380 cartridge, with a standard commercial brass case and typical loading. These cartridges usually generate about 200 ft lbs of energy when fired from a steel barrel. I would like to point out to you non-physicists and engineers that kinetic energy varies as the square of the velocity - the formula is 1/2 times the mass times the velocity squared. Put another way, if muzzle velocity is halved, the muzzle energy is one quarter.

It's not far-fetched to think that a very short plastic chamber and barrel would generate half to two thirds the muzzle velocity of a precision-made commercial product. So you'd have a bullet fired one time out of an unrifled barrel that would deliver somewhere between 50 and 100 ft lbs of energy: substantially less than a .22LR.

From a public safety perspective, the cartridge is still metallic and uses commercial - detectable - propellant. There are all manner of ways in which people conceal firearms, so the TSA and others seem to be focused on looking for suspicious-looking metallic parts and the propellants used for ammunition and explosives. So man's best friend in the form of a explosive-sniffing Labrador Retriever will likely remain as our primary defense when flying.

In other words there is more then one way to skin a cat,

Many people knew how to make guns and ammo way before 3d printers, the government is just try to look like its doing something to solve a non problem

Also the fact that the government is so supprised that the chinese has a UAV is laughable, hell my dad an i were building and flying model RC aircraft long before the government figured out you could strap a camera to it and spy one people.

Hell I know people who could build a RC aircraft out of anything, its not as hard as they make it out to be you just got to have more money the bigger it gets

Many people knew how to make guns and ammo way before 3d printers, the government is just try to look like its doing something to solve a non problem

he has been taunting them and nipping at their balls, not fatal, but embarrassing. .gov will try to make an example out of him. We'll see how it turns out.

Also the fact that the government is so supprised that the chinese has a UAV is laughable, hell my dad an i were building and flying model RC aircraft long before the government figured out you could strap a camera to it and spy one people.

Hell I know people who could build a RC aircraft out of anything, its not as hard as they make it out to be you just got to have more money the bigger it gets

Shit, when I was 9 and building planes Balsa wood was so exotic, we'd look at it as it was some magic polymer. We literally use Ivy branches to form ribs of the wings. Some of the modern materials make much better and durable planes, but you can still make them the old fashioned way.

We need to limit access to this forum, no foreign IPs. Your posts are now limited to discussion of grumpy cat captions.
Grumpy cat posts can tend toward sarcastic and seditious wrong-thinking, we will have to ban those...

Only positive posts about how "chocolate rations have been increased by 30% this week!" will be allowed...

Gentleman. If you are trying to download these files, the best answer is to download a torrent client and get it.

The amazingly beautiful thing about the bit torrent system is that the more demand there is for a file, the FASTER and better it works. Its counter intuitive, but while you are downloading, you are also uploading the parts you've already downloaded to others.

So its the best way to get popular items.

I wanted the files just because they don't want me to have them. So here I sit. . . . with my files. The mega pack and the Liberator.

If you want he file and are afraid of torrents, PM me. I'll make sure you get it.

I will be checking IP addresses to make sure you are in the US so I don't run afoul of ITAR regs.

Don

Shit, when I was 9 and building planes Balsa wood was so exotic, we'd look at it as it was some magic polymer. We literally use Ivy branches to form ribs of the wings. Some of the modern materials make much better and durable planes, but you can still make them the old fashioned way.

Yup my dad at one time owned the RC plain company northeast areo dynamics back in the day, I remember helping him punch out the parts on the press.

We were one of the last companies that sold the plain as a kit, every thing went to ARF and it was nothing for someone to just pick up a RC plain and in a few hours be flying

But its funny when a kid from our old RC club was asked to help with a government drone project because of his amazing RC flying skills

the plain that they had someone built for a shit load of money could not be flown on the first day of testing because it was so poorly put together, the kids father had to take it and make repairs so his son could do the flight test

Government can't even build a RC plain right, what's the world coming too,

Last edited:
Gentleman. If you are trying to download these files, the best answer is to download a torrent client and get it.

The amazingly beautiful thing about the bit torrent system is that the more demand there is for a file, the FASTER and better it works. Its counter intuitive, but while you are downloading, you are also uploading the parts you've already downloaded to others.

So its the best way to get popular items.

I wanted the files just because they don't want me to have them. So here I sit. . . . with my files. The mega pack and the Liberator.

If you want he file and are afraid of torrents, PM me. I'll make sure you get it.

I will be checking IP addresses to make sure you are in the US so I don't run afoul of ITAR regs.

Don

If I am not mistaken you should also be verifying that the receiving person is a US national.

If the DoD is going to prosecute me for exchanging a model of a plastic gun, let them.

you'd think with how retarded this shit is now that they'll be shipping 12 year old kids to gitmo for waterboarding because their airsoft guns match the dimensions and function of a real fiream close enough. a lot of them really do, too! when the ATF created a functional firearm from an ABS lower of course there was a lot of bullshit involved and it probably did not survive more than a few rounds, but i %100 believe that they were able to make it accept a real FCG and a real upper depending on which airsoft company manufactured the shit they siezed.

Kim Dotcom gets mega-scared of 3D printed guns, pulls plans from site | News | TechRadar

It took Kim Dotcom, founder of online file sharing service Mega, a little bit longer, but the internet mogul has deleted all public links to the weapon's blueprints.

Dotcom, who is fighting the US government's attempts to extradite him from his mansion home in New Zealand to face piracy charges, told Radio New Zealand that the possibilities of the weapon were scary.

"I think it's a serious threat to security of the community. I think it's scary that people can print 3D guns that can't even be detected by metal detectors ... This should concern everybody," he said.

hmmmmm [hmmm]

who renames themself "dotcom". [rolleyes]

I was thinking of changing my name to dotgov, then I could act like a douchebag and people would just turn there heads and pretend nothing is wrong, because everyone trust dotgov to never screw them over,

Last edited:
I was thinking of changing my name to dotgov, then I could act like a douch bag and people would just turn there heads and pretend nothing is wrong, because everyone trust dotgov to never screw them over,
They wouldn't mind if you took money out of their bank accounts now and then either, "just 'cuz"...

They wouldn't mind if you took money out of their bank accounts now and then either, "just 'cuz"...

Dotgov dont Take from no bank account, dotgov takes thouse bitches money before it ever hits da bank, and if dotgov don't get his money, da bitches get a pimp slap fine and still gatta pay da money

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom