Defense Distributed Shut Down by DOD

This is what shows on the DEFCAD site:

This file has been removed from public access at the request of the US Department of Defense Trade Controls.
Until further notice, the United States government claims control of the information.

What's itar

International Traffic in Arms Regulations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) is a set of United States government regulations that control the export and import of defense-related articles and services on the United States Munitions List (USML).[1] These regulations implement the provisions of the Arms Export Control Act (AECA), and are described in Title 22 (Foreign Relations), Chapter I (Department of State), Subchapter M of the Code of Federal Regulations. The Department of State Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) interprets and enforces ITAR. Its goal is to safeguard U.S. national security and further U.S. foreign policy objectives.[2] The related Export Administration Regulations (Code of Federal Regulations Title 15 chapter VII, subchapter C) are enforced and interpreted by the Bureau of Industry and Security in the Commerce Department. The Department of Defense is also involved in the review and approval process. Physical enforcement of import and export laws at border crossings is performed by Customs and Border Protection, an agency of the Department of Homeland Security.

hopefully someone has these on peer to peer file share site and they will still be around, seems like such a crock of crap to not show the diagrams when will they do that with small engines and such so people can't do things for themselves!

Charles.

I'd bet you're right, but IMHO this sets a dangerous precedent. "We don't like this and the internet is worldwide, stop now" Controlling the flow of information.....
Honestly, I didn't think the DoD would play this game given AK production around the world.

As you say, the potential for abuse in the post Patriot Act/NDAA world is enormous.

- - - Updated - - -

So because it can be downloaded on the internet, its the equivalent of exporting a firearm?
Software of various sorts can and has been placed on the USML (US Munitions List) and is therefore covered under ITAR.

Damn, forgot to download the printable 30 rnd mag before they shut down the sight. No matter, I bet this is all part of the plan. Next step 50+ sites go live with the files, they shut those down , rinse/repeat.

I love the smell of Internet freedom in the morning...

You can still get the mag. I just downloaded another copy. I downloaded a copy of the fully plastic gun but IDK where I put it.

Silly me, I saved it to the desktop instead of the downloads folder.

Damn, forgot to download the printable 30 rnd mag before they shut down the sight. No matter, I bet this is all part of the plan. Next step 50+ sites go live with the files, they shut those down , rinse/repeat.

I love the smell of Internet freedom in the morning...

I just now downloaded the latest copy of the 30rnd AR mag. The mags are still up for the moment.

Alternatively, you can go to the pirate bay and download them all, including the liberator pistol via a torrent software. I've used bitlord in the past.

And this is how the inventor of PGP got around it...he published it in a book.

Pretty Good Privacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That is not a sure-fire protection, the government can go to court to try to demonstrate that it is a sufficient risk to national security to exercise "prior restraint" and stop you from publishing that book and/or seize copies of it.

Again, this seems silly since you can already manufacture rifles from flats (or shovels) or with machine tools. There isn't a shift here in terms of what an "enemy" can do via this technology as a practical matter.

Someone blew smoke up someone's rectum and told of an "apockerlips" of undetectable guns flooding "the street"TM.

Honestly, I didn't think the DoD would play this game given AK production around the world.

As you say, the potential for abuse in the post Patriot Act/NDAA world is enormous.

- - - Updated - - -

Software of various sorts can and has been placed on the USML (US Munitions List) and is therefore covered under ITAR.

I would bet this is more about shooting the messenger than stopping the distribution of the files.

I have a feeling that at some point in the near future (couple years), Cody Wilson may follow the footsteps of Vince Foster sadly.

From the Forbes article:

"In this case, by contrast, Wilson is literally an arms distributor. "

Oh, really?

How exactly is distributing blueprints equivalent to distributing arms, especially for a primitive design like their pistol?

It's like a person who posts the recipe for meth online being called a drug dealer.

Back
Top Bottom