• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Defense Distributed Shut Down by DOD

I'm not suggesting a printed gun is THE wave of the future. But dismissing them as silly is silly. These proofs of concept will eventually become something practical that can be printed on a $500 printer and will last a nominal amount of time. They have their niche.s.
Where is my $500 lathe or $500 3-axis CNC milling machine? I've been looking for those ever since I took a machining course - 40 years ago.

They weren't made to tight tolerances, so I would imagine it would depend on which one you got...

The purpose of dropping that gun was nearly as symbolic as the printing of this one. It wasn't exactly an ideal "battle pistol" (if one can even say there is such a thing without laughing) [laugh]

I was told by a WWII gun collector. (who owned an original liberator, its box, instructions, and the original 6 (I think thats the number) rounds) that the idea of the original liberator was it could be used to kill a german and get a real gun. A purpose for which this new age Liberator is also well suited.

Now someone just has to come up with a design with an integral silencer, then a SOT needs to print one so they can really freak out the feds.

Don

- - - Updated - - -

Where is my $500 lathe or $500 3-axis CNC milling machine? I've been looking for those ever since I took a machining course - 40 years ago.

There are hobbyists who are doing this for not much more than $1000.

If it is about the money, you're right. Cheaper to buy a stripped 100% lower.

Sent from my chimney using smoke signals.

Which can also be done anonymously if done in secondary transaction in a state like VT or NH. It would be in violation of ATF regs though.
But it would be anonymous.

To me the signifigance of the DD gun is that this is just a starting point. The liberator is fairly useless in a country that has 300,000,000 superior firearms floating around.
What is significant is what the future will bring.

I don't think anyone would challenge my statement that in 20 years, the technology will have matured to a degree where you will be able to produce a reasonably rugged semi-auto or full auto firearm and its magazine in its entirety on a 3D printer.

This then becomes a real game changer.

Which can also be done anonymously if done in secondary transaction in a state like VT or NH. It would be in violation of ATF regs though.
But it would be anonymous.

To me the signifigance of the DD gun is that this is just a starting point. The liberator is fairly useless in a country that has 300,000,000 superior firearms floating around.
What is significant is what the future will bring.

I don't think anyone would challenge my statement that in 20 years, the technology will have matured to a degree where you will be able to produce a reasonably rugged semi-auto or full auto firearm and its magazine in its entirety on a 3D printer.

This then becomes a real game changer.

Sure, but by then, all of these guns you speak of may be considered antiquated technology and unregulated like muzzle loaders are today, so it may not matter what you can print at that point.[laugh]

Sure, but by then, all of these guns you speak of may be considered antiquated technology and unregulated like muzzle loaders are today, so it may not matter what you can print at that point.[laugh]

Antiquated? I don't think we are getting Blasters anytime soon...

The bigger concern is that the 3-D printing companies will make all their money on ink... [laugh]
Material prices vary from about $50 per kilogram to nearly $400 per kilogram.

It's not quite the "razor blade" model. Injection molding grade plastics are roughly $5.00 to $10 per KG. The 3DP materials are always going to cost more: how much more depends on the process and material properties. Most maker grade machines are running PLA and using them for show and tell - when you need real-world performance, you have to spend more.

You also missed the "CNC" part....

Last edited:

That mill is a joke for doing anything of any size. With the MT1 spindle and 150W motor, it's extremely limited. Better off spending ~$400 (with the 20% off coupon) and get a HF mill. Or something else that uses R8 collets to hold things.

IF you want something with better capability (than the HF mill) look at what LMS offers. I'd love to get the HiTorque 3900 or 3960 mill. [smile]

That mill is a joke for doing anything of any size. With the MT1 spindle and 150W motor, it's extremely limited. Better off spending ~$400 (with the 20% off coupon) and get a HF mill. Or something else that uses R8 collets to hold things.

IF you want something with better capability (than the HF mill) look at what LMS offers. I'd love to get the HiTorque 3900 or 3960 mill. [smile]

Well based on his 1973 $500 price this is well inside the limit
HiTorque Mini Mill, Tilting Column - LittleMachineShop.com

Stil not CNC. That's just a manual mill. The ones I've seen for less than around $10,000 don't work very well. Just like 3DP printers in that price range......

I'm up for testing any of these three CNC mills... [smile] Of course, you'll spend a few dollars more for tooling. But should be able to keep it close to that $10k mark. I really want the Tourmach PCNC 700.

Oh wait, I get it. Like the original Liberator was designed to be able to kill a German to get a real gun, this one can be used to kill a machinist to get a lathe to make a real gun?

I have a one of the 'joke' micro mills and a 7x12 engine lathe.

You could CNC both for under $2K and, while slow, could easily produce a wide variety of firearms products.

The Tormach is a serious prototyping mill (or low level production) and could turn out lowers all day if you wanted.
CNC for Gunsmithing | Tormach LLC providers of personal small CNC machines, CNC tooling, and many more CNC items.

I have a 7x14 lathe... It's fun making different things with it. Need to practice threading on it next. Need to get working on a micro-cannon on it (~.177 cal)... Want to get it completed enough before Saturday so I can take it up to Molly's... [smile]

The Tourmach machines are serious hardware. I'm looking at the 770 since it won't require running different power to it (I have more 110v lines than 220v in the basement). Plus, it's not as heavy, or expensive. Still, for ~$10k, you could get a good amount of extra items with it to do a hell of a lot of things. Like producing lowers from raw blocks... I actually have a block large enough to make an AR10 lower from (at least). Got it from the scrap yard last run. It has a few drill holes in it, making it good for one lower. I'm sure I'll figure out what to do with the rest of it.

For a mill, I want at least something that uses R8 collets. That way I don't have to worry about getting another set when I get a bigger mill. Probably going to get one of the HF specials to start off with.

Nice find, and cool guy in the video... Makes me want one of their mills even more... I hope to eventually have one. Just a matter of how long it takes to get the $$ together.

Wow, he was extolling all of the virtues of why a criminal would want one of these, not just reasons why a law-abiding citizen shouldn't print one. Sounds like he wants a law against the printers.

Back
Top Bottom