• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Current CMP Pricing as of 12/30/14

Looks like the spam cans sold out. You know, the CMP wasn't too smart on this price increase.
If someone maxed out their 10 can limit last year, couldn't they max out their 10 can limit this calendar year as well, at the old pricing?

If I were a hoarder (and had the cash), that's what I'd do.

What's the advantage buying the 240 rd spam cans which cost more per round than the 200 round ammo cans? Am I missing something?

I think its because its hermetically sealed and all the same lot

Yep. Likely to be in better condition than the loose mixed 200 round can. Downside (if you can call it that), is that you can't really reuse the can like the 30 cal ones. Knock on wood, all of my loose ammo orders have come in reusable 30 cal cans that aren't showing rust.

Yep. Likely to be in better condition than the loose mixed 200 round can. Downside (if you can call it that), is that you can't really reuse the can like the 30 cal ones. Knock on wood, all of my loose ammo orders have come in reusable 30 cal cans that aren't showing rust.

Yeah the 2 cans I've bought didn't have much rust at all either. Good to know thanks.

If at this point other than supporting the cmp and their mission the ppu is a better deal. Better ammo in my rifles anyway. The sealed tins might store better for long term. Then again it's already been stored a long time..... either way it won't be any cheaper anytime soon. Buy what you can. Everyone should have learned by now if you like to shoot stock it as deep as you can in all cals you shoot.

If at this point other than supporting the cmp and their mission the ppu is a better deal. Better ammo in my rifles anyway. The sealed tins might store better for long term. Then again it's already been stored a long time..... either way it won't be any cheaper anytime soon. Buy what you can. Everyone should have learned by now if you like to shoot stock it as deep as you can in all cals you shoot.

If the 200 round cans go up to $142 shipped, it will be the same price per round as the newly manufactured PPU 500 round cans. I think the spam cans are basically the same cost per round as the PPU now. So when that price goes up, the PPU will be a better deal.

Last edited:
If the 200 round cans go up to $142 shipped, it will be the same price as the newly manufactured PPU 500 round cans. I think the spam cans are basically the same cost as the PPU now. So when that price goes up, the PPU will be a better deal.

Maybe someone wants to let CMP know that they are about to be undersold? Assuming they care?

T

Maybe someone wants to let CMP know that they are about to be undersold? Assuming they care?

T

I did think of that but I figured they wouldn't care or they won't be able to suddenly change their upcoming price increase.

T
CMP still offers plenty of items at lower prices than full retail.
Although I don't see how the cost of the ammo has gone up so much since this is the same HXP they where selling just a 4 or 5 years ago for what 38 cent per round shipped on clips? Maybe if they just kept selling it @ that price with 10 can limits instead of paying to store it? What ever, people will still buy it. I don't know how much ammo they have left. I thought I read somewhere that they started the 10 case limit to assure the ammo would not run out before mail order rifle sales ends.
Last year orest said they had (memory) 60,000+ m1 serial numbers in storage. They just don't know condition. Could be rusty receivers,drill rifles or unissued rifles.....
If you see ppu M2 for under 75 cents per round its decent food for the m1. So your choice is HXP or PPU what else is out there close to that price. hornady,federal,creedmoor ? For what 1.25 or more.
Reloading is an opption, although good bullets are a must. The pulled or M2 bullets are just not worth it. They where ok when they cost 2/3s less than new bullets.

FWIW, I just emailed CMP and mentioned the price for the newly manufactured PPU ammo. Closed until Jan 8th but I'll report back on what they have to say. But like mac said, they'll keep selling tons of if I'm sure.

- - - Updated - - -

CMP still offers plenty of items at lower prices than full retail.
Although I don't see how the cost of the ammo has gone up so much since this is the same HXP they where selling just a 4 or 5 years ago for what 38 cent per round shipped on clips? Maybe if they just kept selling it @ that price with 10 can limits instead of paying to store it? What ever, people will still buy it. I don't know how much ammo they have left. I thought I read somewhere that they started the 10 case limit to assure the ammo would not run out before mail order rifle sales ends.
Last year orest said they had (memory) 60,000+ m1 serial numbers in storage. They just don't know condition. Could be rusty receivers,drill rifles or unissued rifles.....
If you see ppu M2 for under 75 cents per round its decent food for the m1. So your choice is HXP or PPU what else is out there close to that price. hornady,federal,creedmoor ? For what 1.25 or more.
Reloading is an opption, although good bullets are a must. The pulled or M2 bullets are just not worth it. They where ok when they cost 2/3s less than new bullets.

I'm going to make some loads tomorrow. I need to fool around with 4064 and some new 168 Nosler CCs. Also have Vargey and 4895 but 4064 seemed to work the best last time I made some loads a couple months ago.

Couldn't find the main CMP/Garand thread, so I'll just post this here :)

76932989d048fef119cdc62b697b5dfe.jpg

Now I'm wondering if I should go down the rabbit hole of seeing how correct I can get a Springfield and HRA..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldn't find the main CMP/Garand thread, so I'll just post this here :)

76932989d048fef119cdc62b697b5dfe.jpg

Now I'm wondering if I should go down the rabbit hole of seeing how correct I can get a Springfield and HRA..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

several guys at the club by thier 12 per year limit and try to correct, these guys have been doing this since CMP took over DCM they have some great rifles. Seems in the early years before cmp got fully into building, servicing and parts swaping themselves some really great pieces came through.

several guys at the club by thier 12 per year limit and try to correct, these guys have been doing this since CMP took over DCM they have some great rifles. Seems in the early years before cmp got fully into building, servicing and parts swaping themselves some really great pieces came through.

Holy crap. I wish I had that kind of money to spend almost 9k a year on garands alone. Wow.

Holy crap. I wish I had that kind of money to spend almost 9k a year on garands alone. Wow.
These guys are retired and very well off.... not to mention they sell off parts and garands to those who won't use cmp. You can usually flip any garand you don't like for a profit or part it out. Which they do a lot. I know one guy who sold off his collection off 250 m1s. He claims to have sold them for 1000-5000 each. He had some really nice ones. 3 new HRA still with wrap and foil. Those go for 4k easy on cmp auction. Several snipers....crazy. he will tell you his collection was child's play compared to a serious collector.

These guys are retired and very well off.... not to mention they sell off parts and garands to those who won't use cmp. You can usually flip any garand you don't like for a profit or part it out. Which they do a lot. I know one guy who sold off his collection off 250 m1s. He claims to have sold them for 1000-5000 each. He had some really nice ones. 3 new HRA still with wrap and foil. Those go for 4k easy on cmp auction. Several snipers....crazy. he will tell you his collection was child's play compared to a serious collector.

My problem would be - I would never have a Garand I didn't like, and none would be flipped - and I'd eventually be living on the streets!

My problem would be - I would never have a Garand I didn't like, and none would be flipped - and I'd eventually be living on the streets!
Yeah I thought I was going to flip a couple but I always find a reason to keep most of them. I'm a shooter not a collector. The Winchester I bought sucked for shooting. I was offered 800$ for it. I bought it when it was 495$ hard to pass up.
Collectors generally don't keep non collectables. My recent one was a,potential flip if I needed funds for other projects....but I think I'm going to refinish it and put a new stock on it. I have some WWII correct parts I could put on it also...If I do refinish it. Need to finish my cmp special home build 1st. Waiting on barrel

Last edited:

Lol. Dressed in rags, pushing around a couple of shopping carriages full of M1's. Something you dont see every day.

The field grade I just let go was a SA/8-44, with a 0+/2 2-1955 barrel. The field grade I kept was a SA 10-41 with a 3+/4 11-1946 barrel. Bore was not as bright and sharp, but still plenty shiny, and I seemed to shoot better with it than the other. Also the stock turned out to have the correct SA/GHA proof and almost all the parts were SA/1941-2.

T

The one I kept are the small pics.

Got out for a quick test run. Did a few small things prior to testing. Was a rushed test and I couldn't wait the 20+ min for range to go cold to retrieve my target. I took 8 warm up or settling shots at the 100 yard gong 4 of 8 hit... shooting blind I will take it. Then 50 yards SR1 target 8 clicks up . Front sight centered rear windage centered center hold shot a touch right. 5x, 8-10s, 2-9s, 1-8. The 8 could be a typical HXP flyer or me...no spotting scope and didn't track shots. Took about 30seconds between rounds. Standing behind bench
Trigger can use a little work as most will. I tightened up the gas cylinder splines a tad and put some .010" shims under the trigger guard helped to tighten up the stock a bit...
This rifle would fall well with in the over haul specs for accuracy and targeting.

Our club just got Two M1's from the CMP. They are two awesome looking rifles. Both are Service Grade Springfields 1944 and 1945. Both have original barrels and some of the best wood I've seen in a long time from the CMP. They are MW 1 TE 1 and MW 1 TE 2. The 1945 has lockbar sights. I shot that one today. It is dead on at 200 yards in the fog. We could barely see the 200 yard plates by noon because of the fog. Even the 100 yard ones were getting hard to see.

I have an order in for a Field grade and I hope it's half as nice as these two.

.30-06 M2 Ball Greek HXP 200 RDS LOOSE IN .30 CAL CAN
$136 + $11.95 S&H = $147.95

.3006 AP Incediary Ammunition 20 RDS/PK
$81

They haven't updated the rifle sales page yet.

PPU - newly manufactured, in a 50 cal can, is officially cheaper than HXP surplus. Way to go CMP...

.30-06 M2 Ball Greek HXP 200 RDS LOOSE IN .30 CAL CAN
$136 + $11.95 S&H = $147.95

.3006 AP Incediary Ammunition 20 RDS/PK
$81

They haven't updated the rifle sales page yet.

PPU - newly manufactured, in a 50 cal can, is officially cheaper than HXP surplus. Way to go CMP...

Wow, that's too bad. HXP now costs 3 cents more per round than brand new PPU ammo - damn. At least with the PPU you get a nice new 50 cal ammo can that you can probably sell for at least $10.

Curious if they'll respond to my email from last week about the price comparison between PPU and HXP.

I might have to start ordering a few PPU 500 rd cans...

Last edited:

Haha okay. Well it looks like if I order 2 cans, the total cost would be $355.31 per can shipped. Kicking myself for not buying more cans just last month the cost was $9 less per can, then the vendor increased the price.

I still have about 200 rounds of PPU left and about 200 rounds of HXP. Also just ordered another can of HXP last week before the price went up so I'm probably set on ammo now. But if you want me to order you one I can. 1 can delivered would be $357.40.

Last edited:
Wow, that's too bad. HXP now costs 3 cents more per round than brand new PPU ammo - damn. At least with the PPU you get a nice new 50 cal ammo can that you can probably sell for at least $10.

Curious if they'll respond to my email from last week about the price comparison between PPU and HXP.

I might have to start ordering a few PPU cans...

You really have to understand the "mission" of the cmp. Its not to supply us with affordable rifles and ammo.
From the cmp home page
Marksmanship Program (CMP) is a national organization dedicated to training and educating U. S. citizens in responsible uses of firearms and airguns through gun safety training, marksmanship training and competitions. The CMP is a federally chartered 501(c)(3) corporation that places its highest priority on serving youth through gun safety and marksmanship activities that encourage personal growth and build life skills. Links on this page will lead you to more detailed information about the CMP and its programs.
Statutory mission. The federal law enacted in 1996 (Title 36 U. S. Code, 40701-40733) that created the Corporation for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and Firearms Safety, Inc. (CPRPFS, the formal legal name of the CMP) mandates these key “functions for the corporation:

To instruct citizens of the United States in marksmanship;
To promote practice and safety in the use of firearms;
To conduct competitions in the use of firearms and to award trophies, prizes, badges, and other insignia to competitors.
The law specifically states: In carrying out the Civilian Marksmanship Program, the corporation shall give priority to activities that benefit firearms safety, training, and competition for youth and that reach as many youth participants as possible.

Its for the youth. Yes the CMP and NRA do great things for youth programs IF you have someone instructor,coach ectect willing to try and get a youth program going. Between grants and CMP special prices for equipment for Jrs I was stunned at the new equipment or jr rifle program received.
Some great stuff... just wait if the HXP becomes a CMP auction only item it will be very expensive.
I maybe wrong but I thought I read somewhere that the cmp has 100 million$ plus in escrow Im sure that money makes good money. Take a look at the new cmp shooting park. Awesome complex but to my eyes its geared towards air rifles and air pistols. The end of competitive rifle shooting is on its outs for the average person....

I wish this was in my back yard http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/03/talladega_marksmanship_park_co.html

Last edited:
Haha okay. Well it looks like if I order 2 cans, the total cost would be $355.31 per can shipped. Kicking myself for not buying more cans just last month the cost was $9 less per can, then the vendor increased the price.

I still have about 200 rounds of PPU left and about 200 rounds of HXP. Also just ordered another can of HXP last week before the price went up so I'm probably set on ammo now. But if you want me to order you one I can. 1 can delivered would be $357.40.

How many rounds in a PPU can?

You really have to understand the "mission" of the cmp. Its not to supply us with affordable rifles and ammo.
From the cmp home page
Marksmanship Program (CMP) is a national organization dedicated to training and educating U. S. citizens in responsible uses of firearms and airguns through gun safety training, marksmanship training and competitions. The CMP is a federally chartered 501(c)(3) corporation that places its highest priority on serving youth through gun safety and marksmanship activities that encourage personal growth and build life skills. Links on this page will lead you to more detailed information about the CMP and its programs.
Statutory mission. The federal law enacted in 1996 (Title 36 U. S. Code, 40701-40733) that created the Corporation for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and Firearms Safety, Inc. (CPRPFS, the formal legal name of the CMP) mandates these key “functions for the corporation:

To instruct citizens of the United States in marksmanship;
To promote practice and safety in the use of firearms;
To conduct competitions in the use of firearms and to award trophies, prizes, badges, and other insignia to competitors.
The law specifically states: In carrying out the Civilian Marksmanship Program, the corporation shall give priority to activities that benefit firearms safety, training, and competition for youth and that reach as many youth participants as possible.

Its for the youth. Yes the CMP and NRA do great things for youth programs IF you have someone instructor,coach ectect willing to try and get a youth program going. Between grants and CMP special prices for equipment for Jrs I was stunned at the new equipment or jr rifle program received.
Some great stuff... just wait if the HXP becomes a CMP auction only item it will be very expensive.
I maybe wrong but I thought I read somewhere that the cmp has 100 million$ plus in escrow Im sure that money makes good money. Take a look at the new cmp shooting park. Awesome complex but to my eyes its geared towards air rifles and air pistols. The end of competitive rifle shooting is on its outs for the average person....

I wish this was in my back yard http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/03/talladega_marksmanship_park_co.html

That's a scary thought lol.

Back
Top Bottom