CT Man busted in NJ for carrying gun

Some time back, I was chatting with the licensing officer in our town (he's since retired). He said that he once stopped a fellow from New York who had a NY state CCW and was carrying in MA. He told the guy "don't do that," put the now unloaded gun in the driver's trunk, and sent him on his way. He figured that if they guy had gone to the trouble of getting a NY State CCW, that he was most likely a decent guy, so what would be the point of arresting him?

Some time back, I was chatting with the licensing officer in our town (he's since retired). He said that he once stopped a fellow from New York who had a NY state CCW and was carrying in MA. He told the guy "don't do that," put the now unloaded gun in the driver's trunk, and sent him on his way. He figured that if they guy had gone to the trouble of getting a NY State CCW, that he was most likely a decent guy, so what would be the point of arresting him?

Sometimes you get lucky. Hopefully the guy learned its lesson because most people don't get that chance.

^ this ^

also, NOT everyone is a forum ninja that can post threads and ask if they'll be ok carrying through xyz. [laugh]

LT1MCSS - the guy isn't too bright (obviously) but the cop is a douche bag. he locked up a lawful citizen (idiot) when he should have been chasing criminals.

Hmmm...

Arrested for volunteering that he had a CCW or lie and say "Nope - no weapons"

Tough choice...

Because enforcing douchebag laws make you a douchebag.

This.

And;

Article said:
"Antrum was arrested when a policeman saw him attempting to pump his own gasoline at a closed station, court papers said."

Seriously?

It seems more and more these days common sense and discretion are just out the door. How this should have gone...

Guy tries to pump gas, cop sees him, "Sir your not allowed to do that in NJ, please get back in your car and I think there is a station 8 blocks away, drive safe"

Or maybe... cop finds gun... he produces 2 carry permits, clearly he is out of state heading somewhere, he is a security guard, doesn't appear to be a thug and no apparent illegal intentions.... "Sir, your permit is not valid in this state, remove your weapon, unload it, and lock it in the trunk now and do not remove it until you get back to CT. Don't do this again"

WTF happened to discretion and alternative resolution. Everything you do now is a federal offense and you get dragged in for the most ridiculous stuff.

Hey, don't do that. Let's bring that back.

Edit: m1911 - I didn't see your post when I was typing this, but ya, that's EXACTLY my point.

Hmmm...

Tough choice...

Well, if I was in that position, there is no doubt which choice I would make, and I will never travel in New Jersey by choice, but if necessary, I will be armed - permit or not!

Worse still, try getting stuck behind a NJ driver at a self serve pump. They have no idea how to use them. It's happened to me twice. Both times I got out and showed them where to put the credit card and etc so I could get the hell out of there.

My sister helped me with that when I was in NH for Christmas. Dammed if I could figure out how to get the gas out of the pump with a debit card!

There are NO self service gas stations in NJ anywhere, don't even think about pumping your own gas.

There must be a petroleum transfer technicians union there or something.

As for the gun thing, NJ is at the top of the list for the most unfriendly for gun owners, resident or non resident.

I go to NJ for car shows at least 4 times over the summer. I have yet to have an attendant pump my gas. I told them if they could find they tank they could fill it up. Most are reluctant to crawl over a 250cf nitrogen tank to get to a fuel cell at the other side of the bed hahaha.

Hmmm...

Tough choice...

I've always wondered about this. I have been asked if I have any weapons or drugs in the car many times. When I say no they move on to continuing with the stop and running my license and reg or whatever. If you say no does that give them the right to search? If they ask do you mind if I search your car and you say no what happens then?

Saying No, does not allow them to search your car. If they want to search your car they will either need your permission, probable cause or a Warrant

your average citizen does NOT know the intricacies and weirdness of even their LOCAL laws, let alone laws in other states! I think their jaws would drop if they really knew the details of the law and how it is selectively enforced!

Now, a security guard doing concealed carry should be a little smarter, but unless he is an enthusiast and cruises gun boards, he probably did not know what he was getting himself into!

Feel sorry for him.

Don't buy gas, stop, or do anything in New Jersey. Drive through it, without stopping, and stay on the highway and off the back roads. The waffen SS will pull you over or hassle you for anything in that state. If you get stopped, don't run your mouth to the police. This guy apparently broke every rule I just mentioned.

This guy is f**ked, as this certainly doesn't qualify for FOPA. Hope his relatives come to visit him in the Gulag.

-Mike

when i went to college in jersey for a year, the cops didnt seem that bad. I got pulled over doing 35mph in a school zone, at 7:30am (the speed limit was 25), and all i got was a ticket for "obstruction of view" (i had my parking permit on my mirror). cops in jersey dont give warnings, they just give you a stupid ticket that wont raise your insurance, unless they dont like you, then you get a speeding ticket.

the same cop pulled me over 4 weeks later doing 40 on a 35 (i was going downhill), and i got another obstruction of view ticket.

maybe i am just lucky, i dont know.
Now, a security guard doing concealed carry should be a little smarter, but unless he is an enthusiast and cruises gun boards, he probably did not know what he was getting himself into!

Feel sorry for him.

i think there is something missing in the news article: why did the cop ask him if he had a gun? was there a reason? (like the guys acting all weird) or did the cop run his plate and saw that he had a gun permit?

Last edited:
From the article, it appears that he was carrying concealed in NJ. If he'd followed FOPA, he'd have been OK. But since he didn't, he's screwed.
This...

That said, ignorance of the law is now a very reasonable excuse...

NJ needs to be stripped of its state-hood and reorganized... [laugh]

This crap has to stop... Another innocent man has his life ruined and the state wastes untold dollars dealing with a non-crime. Every last state employee who encountered this guy should be fired and barred from state employment for life...

I noticed that the article mentioned that the judge didn't allow the man's out of state permits into evidence as they were not a valid defense. Would this be allowed at sentencing? Or is it common practice to not allow this information to be admitted?

Two douche bags here, first is the guy who was ignorant of the law and carrying. He was dumb to admit it, dumb to take a cop's (of all people) word for it and dumb not to check and see what states his permits allowed him to carry in. Not that he should even have to worry about this in the USA but thats the way it is.
Cop is a douchebag for turning this guy into a criminal... For failing to protect and defend the Constitution.

No public safety interest was served by this - in fact, it cost resources that could have otherwise been used to find and prosecute actual criminals.

Guy is an idiot - no argument - but ignorance of Encyclopedic laws should not be a criminal offense. Cop should have told him that he needed to keep the gun in the trunk and/or a locked container when driving through NJ and drive safely...

so is pumping your own gas an arrestable offense in NJ....or is this cop just snooping trying to find something to brag at the station about?

because it seems odd that he'd jump straight to asking if he had a weapon if he wasnt being detained......

It's common here in Maine for stations to leave their pumps on for credit card sales after they have otherwise shut down for the night.

You have to use a credit card, and there's a $50 limit.

Drive through a dark gas station at night, and see the little lights of the pump still on? FILL 'ER UP!

One of the things I really like about Maine.

so is pumping your own gas an arrestable offense in NJ....or is this cop just snooping trying to find something to brag at the station about?

because it seems odd that he'd jump straight to asking if he had a weapon if he wasnt being detained......

34:3A-10. Penalties for violations; Retail Gasoline Dispensing Safety Account; established
A violator of any provision of this act shall be liable for a penalty of not less than $50.00 and not more than $250.00 for a first offense and not more than $500.00 for each subsequent offense.

34:3A-10. Penalties for violations; Retail Gasoline Dispensing Safety Account; established
A violator of any provision of this act shall be liable for a penalty of not less than $50.00 and not more than $250.00 for a first offense and not more than $500.00 for each subsequent offense.

Jersey along with california, New York, Mass should be cut away from the continent and sunk.

Back
Top Bottom