Crap, it was cold

kiver

NES Member
Hope others had better luck then I. Saw a couple of deer asses running away from me but I blame that on the damn crunchieness of the ground. With the holidays, maybe I catch one in Ma [sad][crying][sad]

That sucks. I can't wait until there's a good few inches of snow on the ground to quiet things down. Better luck to you.

And, no, I didn't have any better luck. I didn't even see what I've seen most of last the week. Which wasn't huntable anyway cause I don't have antlerless tags. Two does were flying buy and I never saw the horny bastard chasing them.

Cold yes, deer a few. Had two spikes in range on seperate occations flew one arrow over ones back and flew one under ones belly, found a nasty non typical antler on the ground while pheasant hunting on saterday. Can't wait till shotgun season.

I was in Vermont last week and it was brutal. Single digits at night, mid teens in the daytime.
Not too much wind but enough to bring the wind chill factor down below zero. In all the
years I have been hunting in Vermont in November I have never run into cold like that.
Al Gore, are you listening?

No luck this year either.

Hope others had better luck then I. Saw a couple of deer asses running away from me but I blame that on the damn crunchieness of the ground. With the holidays, maybe I catch one in Ma [sad][crying][sad]

Even when the ground isn't crunchy, you're just not going to sneak up on a deer. Get into your stand well before sunrise and let them come to you.

Even when the ground isn't crunchy, you're just not going to sneak up on a deer. Get into your stand well before sunrise and let them come to you.

I've tasted quite a few that, had they still been alive today, would disagree [smile]

So, I officially am F'd in the head. I had to go out this morning to check on a couple of spots. Not hunting, just some mid season rescouting, I guess. Soaked, but... worth it.
Many does(useless) but two smaller bucks, too, sorta yippee! Too small to take... If someone doesn't harvest them between now and next season with the front end of their vehicle I'm confident they'll just grow 'til next year.

Breaking out the 777 and heading to the range to sight in next Monday or Tuesday and then starting all over.

Best of luck to you all.

Stands work

I'm a newbie. I've got 3 from a treestand in a year, and jumped a couple in my early scouting. I can't imagine the patience it takes to still hunt with a shotgun or bow. Maybe a rifle and binocs would help.

Still hunting to me means travelling off the beaten path and having a buddy to help the get the deer out. I've been alone, so've gone no more than 500 yards from my vehicle.

I guess it's all about the way you like to, or have to, hunt.

I'm a newbie. I've got 3 from a treestand in a year, and jumped a couple in my early scouting. I can't imagine the patience it takes to still hunt with a shotgun or bow. Maybe a rifle and binocs would help.

Still hunting to me means travelling off the beaten path and having a buddy to help the get the deer out. I've been alone, so've gone no more than 500 yards from my vehicle.

I'd say "Nice work" but that'd be an understatement. So I'll just say [shocked] and [crying]

The truth about still hunting is that most people do not have the patience for it. Also I think most people believe that they just will not be able to get a deer that way. When you are tracking or hunting you need to believe that a deer could be around any corner and be ready. Take five slow steps and then stop and look, your pace should be one tenth of the speed of your normal walk- always grab coniferous trees and branches and snap, break, chew, and rub them on yourself. Wind, wind, wind, and wind it is your best friend and your worst enemy.

The most important thing to do is believe in yourself and know that a deer could be around any corner. This holds true for stand hunting, spot stalking, or still hunting.
You should be hunting the minute your eyes open that day. Being cautious of what you are eating, what you are stepping in, and how hard you are closing your car door when you arrive at your spot.

Good advice

Thanks Ephem, I've been lucky. Pics are on earlier Post!

Good advice from Ham. The 5 steps and wait is easy to remember! I've read to add the occasional stamp on the last step that is indicative of a deer, and to give some tending grunts to pretend you're a deer. I'd add, wear lots of orange! [laugh]

And why not use a drag? Who knows what you'll meet on the way out!

I'd like to say I still hunt to my stand, but I'm usually in a hurry to get set and comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom