• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hunting Ain't Doin' It

Eddie_Valiant

NES Member
Moonbat TV a/k/a channel 5 WCVB, ran this report saying the deer are overpopulated and are damaging the farmers in southeastern MA.

BOSTON —
An advocate for southeastern Massachusetts farmers said there is a natural disaster putting them out of business, but unlike the farms that were devastated by flooding this summer, there is no fundraiser or emergency money from the Legislature to help.

Susan Murray, executive director of the Southeastern Massachusetts Agricultural Partnership, told the Joint Committee on the Environment and Natural Resources that farmers in Norfolk, Bristol and Plymouth counties are suffering under "a silent environmental crisis," namely an overpopulation of deer that she said leads to more than $1 million in farm losses each year, the Sate House News Service reported.

Deer creating 'silent' crisis for Mass. farmers

Moonbat TV a/k/a channel 5 WCVB, ran this report saying the deer are overpopulated and are damaging the farmers in southeastern MA.

BOSTON —
An advocate for southeastern Massachusetts farmers said there is a natural disaster putting them out of business, but unlike the farms that were devastated by flooding this summer, there is no fundraiser or emergency money from the Legislature to help.

Susan Murray, executive director of the Southeastern Massachusetts Agricultural Partnership, told the Joint Committee on the Environment and Natural Resources that farmers in Norfolk, Bristol and Plymouth counties are suffering under "a silent environmental crisis," namely an overpopulation of deer that she said leads to more than $1 million in farm losses each year, the Sate House News Service reported.

Deer creating 'silent' crisis for Mass. farmers
If you dug deep you might find a little bump in her campaign donations from Insurance companies.

Hunting not working....rather than opening up private lands access, we must shoot them at night with "qualified" people and throw the meat in the dump..... this will overall create, less deer, which equals less hunting and obviously less car collisions.

Crop damage has nothing to do with this. Kill all the deer....no one wants to bother hunting. Happening in Southern CT right now.

I hope its damn easy to kill a deer around there.......but last time I was around there i didn't see vast fields of deer, I saw a few. But less than I see when I go to PA, or down south. West of VA off of 81 I saw 50 deer in one field. And and scattered in the fields, there were hundreds in smaller groups. I don't think anyone is crying about crop damage.

Enjoy whatever they call "good" hunting while it lasts.

Last edited:
Also love the below statement.......as we are funding millions for illegal alien housing......Fxcking retards.

Also love the below statement.......as we are funding millions for illegal alien housing......Fxcking retards.

1. Begin hunts on Sundays.

1a. Maybe start shotgun a bit early.
1b. Maybe allow crossbow during bow season.

2. If you bag a doe and contribute it to the feeding of migrants, you get your lic fee back PLUS another doe tag.

Problems solved. I'm a win-win-win-win sorta fella.

1. Begin hunts on Sundays.

1a. Maybe start shotgun a bit early.
1b. Maybe allow crossbow during bow season.

2. If you bag a doe and contribute it to the feeding of migrants, you get your lic fee back PLUS another doe tag.

Problems solved. I'm a win-win-win-win sorta fella.
Nope....can't hunt on Sundays...we have to listen to all the hyphenated last name bitches whims and desires, because they are scared.

There is also very few areas in this state that the deer are 50 per square mile. That means on any single day huntng your seeing at least 20 deer a day usually. I highly doubt that would be the case if i went hunting one of these farms in SE ma.

Check out Leatherwood outdoors in PA......that is 50 deer per square mile in his little corner of the county. John sees a shit load of deer. He's sees more on the opener than most of us in MA see in 10 years of opening days. Still.....you get one buck only in most cases and there are antler restrictions.

Last edited:
Set backs and access is what it boils down to.

The reality in this state, as @Mark from MA said, is that hunters are at the very end of the line just ahead of gun owners in this state. The legislators are far more likely to give them our tax dollars as subsidies and hire the company New York is using to sterilize deer at $1k a pop.

The one thing they won’t do is anything to benefit hunters.

Bob

Set backs and access is what it boils down to.

The reality in this state, as @Mark from MA said, is that hunters are at the very end of the line just ahead of gun owners in this state. The legislators are far more likely to give them our tax dollars as subsidies and hire the company New York is using to sterilize deer at $1k a pop.

The one thing they won’t do is anything to benefit hunters.

Bob
A few years ago, a person from Mass Wildlife (or one of the departments) did a permitted hunting area map of east of 495 taking into account all of the setbacks. The places to hunt are few and far between. This was back in 2010-2015, so it's only gotten worse as more and more spots get houses.

I wish they would change the setback to 150 ft from an occupied dwelling from which you do not have permission for bow (at least).

A few years ago, a person from Mass Wildlife (or one of the departments) did a permitted hunting area map of east of 495 taking into account all of the setbacks. The places to hunt are few and far between. This was back in 2010-2015, so it's only gotten worse as more and more spots get houses.

I wish they would change the setback to 150 ft from an occupied dwelling from which you do not have permission for bow (at least).
If I recall correctly, they calculated that 95% of the land within 495 was off limits to hunting. The fact that bow hunting has the same setback limits as shotgun hunting is moronically stupid -- but I suppose that is not unusual when it comes to MA laws.

Techically to really control urban deer you need no setbacks like CT be effective realistically. Hunting on small lots there is always usually a yard where you can't set a stand, you end up on the edge of the yard/woods/property which is always on the border of the neighbor. Of which you will then need their permission in a lot of cases.

Unless you shoot off the roof or decks of the landowners house. Which we used to do in CT on the coastal areas and all there was around was salt marsh and no real good trees to set up in. Sheds and detached garage roofs worked great too.

We have a narrow 3/4 acre lot. One could safely (and likely successfully) hunt from a tree stand on my property. There is a couple acres of conservation land behind us and all the lots are narrow and deep. But, of course, you would never get 150’ from a road, let alone permission from all the houses with 500’. So I just wave to the deer that amble through during the daytime.

With all the setbacks per MGL Chapter 131, then throw in the towns and cities with bylaws and ordinances that are more restrictive than Mass Law this is what you get. That dump of a state deserves all that happens to it.
Yeah.....that is the REAL problem....restrictive town bylaws and ordinances that supersede anything the state passes are like trying to navigate a maze. Forget that shit. Getting town permission, getting police permission, etc.....screw that.

State could make a law saying no setbacks AND sunday hunting........ and some hyphenated bitch will get the town to pass something worse......

In any event, the majority of people are retarded moonbats, or all out anti hunting, and your bound to run into trouble with a lot of them if your deer goes over the line, which if archery hunting small spots is inevitable. Deer can run 0-100 yards double lunged on a full sprint shot with an arrow and sharp broadhead, and there is nothing you can change about that.

Its not like you can neck/shoulder shoot them with a rifle and drop them like a brick.

Stupid shit like MA has.....Don't think they allow towns in CT to put bylaws in on hunting. Personally, I had an issue once in 15 years and well over 150 deer killed in our small group of 3 or 4 guys..........

Police and game warden backed me all the way on that one............. Not so sure of that in MA. Those are dice I wouldn't roll, especially with the woke affirmative action wardens and cops they hire nowadays. YMMV.

Last edited:
My wife read me that article and I was annoyed to say the least. I’m in zone 9 and it’s been quiet, with bith deer and hunters in my area.

Yeah.....that is the REAL problem....restrictive town bylaws and ordinances that supersede anything the state passes are like trying to navigate a maze. Forget that shit. Getting town permission, getting police permission, etc.....screw that.

State could make a law saying no setbacks AND sunday hunting........ and some hyphenated bitch will get the town to pass something worse......

In any event, the majority of people are retarded moonbats, or all out anti hunting, and your bound to run into trouble with a lot of them if your deer goes over the line, which if archery hunting small spots is inevitable. Deer can run 0-100 yards double lunged on a full sprint shot with an arrow and sharp broadhead, and there is nothing you can change about that.

Its not like you can neck/shoulder shoot them with a rifle and drop them like a brick.

Stupid shit like MA has.....Don't think they allow towns in CT to put bylaws in on hunting. Personally, I had an issue once in 15 years and well over 150 deer killed in our small group of 3 or 4 guys..........

Police and game warden backed me all the way on that one............. Not so sure of that in MA. Those are dice I wouldn't roll, especially with the woke affirmative action wardens and cops they hire nowadays. YMMV.
I have in my "professional life" gone on private property to retrieve a deer for a hunter that died on posted property. That pissed the local PD off (Groton, Ma.) as they called me because they didn't know how to screw the guy. Well, that didn't happen.

Zone 11 has essentially unlimited doe tags for the second year in a row but I'll say that I haven't seen a whole heck of a lot of movement out there. Lack of access, lack of Sunday hunting, and the general hatred of hunters among residents are all equal problems.

Look at what happened with the black bear in Hanson. Half the people wanted to "save the bear" and the other half wanted it euthanized or relocated. What ended up happening was a hunting took the bear with a bow and the general public all seem to hate that. I would have preferred to leave it alone and hopefully gain some bear population but whats done is done and apparently it's more palatable to have the police shoot a bear and do God knows what with it than to have a local with a hunting license take the bear in a sporting way and feed people. That's the mentality of the average Mass resident.

I have in my "professional life" gone on private property to retrieve a deer for a hunter that died on posted property. That pissed the local PD off (Groton, Ma.) as they called me because they didn't know how to screw the guy. Well, that didn't happen.
Thank you for doing your job so well and not caving to pressure, you guys don't get all the appreciation you deserve.

I wouldnt trust today's GW to be like you were as a stand up guy.

I might be wrong as I don't know many of them, and haven't met many either....by design........but wouldn't want to test it.

The few EPO’s I have had interactions with in Mass were dinks not saying they all are but these two were. I would also question their knowledge of general wildlife and fishing.

I have been told that the current batch of EPO's are very lacking in knowledge and experience. The information that I am getting is they are being restricted from leaving the vehicle for extended lengths of time. (I retired 14 years ago come this Jan 30th after 29 years) They don't seem to know their patrol areas other than the roads. When I started 43 years ago today almost all the folks on the job either Hunted, Fished and or trapped. You don't see these new officers with a canoe on top of their truck. You never hear of these individuals in the back swamps and eddies in the evening chasing late duck hunters. Sorry, but time to disband the agency.

Oh, the EPO's don't work for the Div of F & W. They are under The Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs. Last I knew the current Director was a City of Lowell police Sergeant.

The Div. of F & W has no use for those that pay the bills, they have and never will. They talk the talk but will sell out the folks that buy licenses in a heart beat for political correctness.

Before any of you complain about shift splitting ( of course there was a greedy Lt from the south center of the state that screwed that up) That was done to give us more coverage with out causing overtime. Many of those of us that were "Wardens" would go out and work the morning hunt, go home and come out to work the evening hunt. We did not have three shifts like the local or state police. One Officer had an assigned "district" that he or she was responsible for.

Last edited:
The few EPO’s I have had interactions with in Mass were dinks not saying they all are but these two were. I would also question their knowledge of general wildlife and fishing.
It's been about 20 years since I hunted. Back when I hunted the Pantry Brook WMA, I encountered two EPOs at the end of the day as I walked back to my vehicle. I had no issue with either of them. They were both very personable, asked to see my hunting license and FID/LTC. They glanced at my documents, handed them back, said thanks, and I was on my way.

It was kind of funny with one of them. As I walked to my car, I heard the EPO talking to another hunter. He asked the hunter for his hunting license. The hunter said he didn't think he needed to carry that anymore. Then he asked the hunter for his FID and the hunter said that he didn't have it with them. I thought to myself, "that's not going to end well." I was almost finished putting all my stuff into my car when the EPO told the other hunter to hold on, came over to me and asked me for my documents. The EPO seemed relieved that I was squared away and he could go back to dealing with the other guy.

I've got no idea what the EPOs are like today.

The last MA EPO I had an interaction with I had to show them where “crossbow certified” is printed on the license.

The last CT EPO I had and interaction with was such a flaming a$$hole that I will never ever call another one to report a violation.

As a farm owner in Southeastern MA one of the things I’d like to see in addition to hunting on Sundays and removed setbacks for bows is to allow hunting/removal during the growing season when the majority of the damage is done. Every year the deer are abundant in the fields from 5-6 pm until past dark up until autumn when they tend to stay off the open fields and in the woods until sunset or just after. Additionally, the pockets of land where they tend to bed down are mostly towards the perimeter of the farm where they are too close to neighbors for hunters to be able to take the deer. We have two hunters on the farm now and while they’ve taken a good chunk this year, we would need it to be triple to quadruple that before we start to see an impact.

Yet those same Farmers tell me no when I knock on their door and ask permission. So basically, they can go f*** themselves. If they don't want deer chomping their crops, they should welcome Hunters on their land.
My guess is that they know you suffer from severe TDS so they turn you down.....but that's just me......

My guess is that they know you suffer from severe TDS so they turn you down.....but that's just me......

I don't care what their reason is. When you have a problem, and someone literally knocks on your front door offering to help you solve it and you tell them no, well you reap what you sow with that next level stupidity.

I still put down deer on public land, and they still watch deer literally eat the money out of their pocket. I'm not losing sleep over it. I wonder if they can say the same.

Back
Top Bottom