Considering building a bench

So I need a work bench for reloading, gun building/maintenance and any other projects I need to do. I first considered buying one or two of the sears craftsman benches, but after looking at the cost I'm thinking I might build my own. One little point of difficulty arises when I look into planning this... the room the bench will be going in has a carpeted floor, I'm nt sure if there is an ideal bench leg foot that I should get and use for this bench to go on carpet. I want to make sure the carpet configuration won't make for difficulty in my work (like hammering in pins and having the carpet dampen all of the force etc). Any other suggestions on how to go about this?

Thanks in advance.

You could build a counter top cabinet and anchor it to the studs in the wall with screws. You could also get the screw in feet to make it as stable as possible before mounting it.

Place squares of plywood (or from a straight grained plank) under the legs to spread the weight of the bench. That way the bench won't pack down or wear out the carpeting.

Yeah, carpet and reloading is bad, primers get lost and powder is a real pain to clean up.

And DO NOT vacuum up primers, they have a tendency to go pop.

I'm not sure I'd work on a carpet directly for re-loading. Static sparks and all that.

That is a very interesting point. Do you guys (that reload) wear ESD (electrostatic dissipation) wrist straps while you work, just to be on the safe side?

Also do NOT vacuum up powder. It goes Kaboom inside the vacuum cleaner, making a mess, and making the Mrs. very unhappy.

If you're going to do a reloading bench where there is carpeting, you should consider cutting away the carpet in that area. You can get some easy transition strips (rubber) to clean up the edges. I presume there's plywood underneath the carpet (doubt you'd carpet over concrete, for example).

Might wanna paint the plywood some nice color, so that clean up is easier (fills in the pores of the plywood.)

I didn't consider that whole side of the issue.... the current problem with that, though is that I'm in an apartment so I don't think I can just tear up carpet... Seems like a lot of work too.... reloading is the above and beyond right now, I at least need a work surface for gun maintenance, building, and everything else I need a surface for. Would a good solid plastic mat work to cover the floor if I start reloading?

Here's a great idea for a portable reloading bench:

http://www.larrywillis.com/tip001.html

rbench.jpg

Back
Top Bottom