• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Who makes the most accurate factory bolt rifle under $2k new for bench work out to 500yrds?

Who makes the most accurate factory bolt rifle under $2k new for bench/target work out to 500yrds?

• Total voters
Out of what you mentioned, 6br hands down and then 6.5cm. 223 if you want to load heavies . 308 is lame.

Barring any issues with the barrel, any of those factory rifles will achieve sub Moa .

Do you want a 60 0r 90 degree action? Push feed or crf ? 8lb rifle or 15lb rifle ?

What are you trying to do with it? Just paper ? If so I don’t think you need the bigger calibers at that distance. And for that id stick to a softer shooter. Something that takes 6mm bullets with high BC.

Ladies & Gentlemen, Thank you for visiting this poll!

So here is what I am thinking for calibers and would consider, 6 NORMA BR, 223, 6.5mm Creedmoor, and (possibly .308). Now I am thinking these may all be close and it may not matter and it might come down to maybe a particular caliber is just inherently more accurate. If so please note what caliber you would choose for accuracy.

And remember if you like this content to please like and subscribe and smash that.. oh wait ......never mind.
What type of “accuracy” are you looking for?
Is this for personal fun or a particular game you want to play.
Are you X hunting or Hits are good enough?

At inside and up to 600 yards, it's virtually impossible to be better than the 6BR. But you really need to handload for it.

The 308 and 223 are also really easy to get to shoot really well. Again, it's hard to find factory ammo that will get you out that far accurately.

The 6.5 (or 6) Creedmoor is an easy/easy choice because you can buy the rifle and the ammo off the shelf and start punching X's.

You DON'T need a $2000 scope. That's a common fallacy.
Pat,
I’m just curious. 20” AR10T 308 match barrel.
What would you use for glass out to 500 yards?

Pat,
My first question would be "what are you trying hit at 500 yards?" Or maybe better put: "how small is your target?"
I use a 4.5x scope out to 600 yards, but our target is fairly large: a 36" aiming black with a 6" X-ring. And, 4.5x is the maximum we're allowed to use. I've used Hi-lux (hated it), Athlon (like it) and my current White Oak (really like it).
If I wasn't limited in magnification, I'd probably look in the 5-25X range, and I'd take a good hard look at what Sightron has to offer. Or Vortex. Or Athlon.

I have no doubt Nightforce and March make excellent scopes, but are they THAT much better than scopes half their price? And when I say "better", I mean, "will they make a 9 into a ten or X?". They won't.

Club is 440 to the backstop. So I rounded up. Haven’t played much yet past 200.
I won’t be anywhere near you and Charlie on 6” 😂 but I’d be happy starting out at 18 as a new hacker just playing and getting out.
I bought the gun new a long time ago. It hasn’t had 250 rounds thru it. I want to change that.

I have a sightron SS-III 8x24x52
It’s a big scope but I like it. I’ve put it on everything.m I own I can take it from a 1942 Remington 513 to my 16 inch AR. It pretty much lives on 18 X I’ve had it out to 600 yards but was limited to 10 X per the loose rules of the match.

As Pat mentioned, a lot Hass to do with what your intended target is. I also have one of those super sniper fixed 10 X scopes, which I really like for just shooting random targets at any distance. I find scopes to be much like holsters you never really gonna know if you like it or not until you try them for a while.

Last edited:
Ladies & Gentlemen, Thank you for visiting this poll!

So here is what I am thinking for calibers and would consider, 6 NORMA BR, 223, 6.5mm Creedmoor, and (possibly .308). Now I am thinking these may all be close and it may not matter and it might come down to maybe a particular caliber is just inherently more accurate. If so please note what caliber you would choose for accuracy.

And remember if you like this content to please like and subscribe and smash that.. oh wait ......never mind.
So you understand: 223 excepted, none of these cartridges will give you a "workout" out to 500yd. At that distance, you will be hitting the bullseye without trying at all. If you want a workout, 223 is the only choice on your list of calibers.
With that in mind, none of the rifles you've listed come chambered in 223. Your best option for a 500-yard training/workout rifle is a Howa Mini action chambered in 223. Add a good stock, like MDT Oryx, and you will have a superb workout rifle! That gets you to $900. Spend the remaining $1100 on a good 18x optic. Anything over 18x is not going to give you a proper workout.

Pat,
18x is the max you'll ever need out to 700yd. That is if your goal is practical precision(think army/swat snipers). If your goal is ultimate precision(think benchrest competitions), the more, the merrier.

So you understand: 223 excepted, none of these cartridges will give you a "workout" out to 500yd. At that distance, you will be hitting the bullseye without trying at all. If you want a workout, 223 is the only choice on your list of calibers.
With that in mind, none of the rifles you've listed come chambered in 223. Your best option for a 500-yard training/workout rifle is a Howa Mini action chambered in 223. Add a good stock, like MDT Oryx, and you will have a superb workout rifle! That gets you to $900. Spend the remaining $1100 on a good 18x optic. Anything over 18x is not going to give you a proper workout.
Tikka comes in .223

@Keven , I may have missed your post regarding use. Hunting vs target I think will have different thoughts, at least regarding scope and caliber.

I can speak to the tikka. I have the t3x in 308. The gun just works. Accuracy is incredible, as long as I do my part. I'm talking bullet number two going through bullet hole number one at a 100 yards. These are with my reloads that I have most recently worked up. I can't do it all the time, but it's me, not the gun. The gun is that good.

I personally love the stock. It's light. It durable. I can lay it on rocks. I'm hiking miles and climbing a couple thousand feet. It's perfect for what it is intended for. Now, if it were just sitting on a bench, I'd have a much more subtantial stock on there. Meaning heavier.

I originally had a Leuold vx3i, 4 to 10 magnification on it. I took an elk at 270 yards with this setup last fall. Also dropped a deer at 200, and it hit exactly where I aimed, like not even a quarter inch off. Gun was rested on my pack and I was sitting on the ground. Very steep grade.

The gun and scope was had for $1500. I recently upgraded the scope to a vx5 with an illuminate dot 4 to 15, I believe. Clarity of this glass is better than the vx3i, and the vx3i was fantastic. So much so, it made my vortex glass look like junk (exaggerating a bit). The vx5 buys me more time on both sides of peak hunting hours. And the lighted dot will be handy for black bear. Lastly,
It allows me to dial my distance. Never thought I would need it,
But I'm shooting much further than I ever thought. And it was important to do anything possible to reduce injuring an animal. This scope plus the gun, still under two grand.

Now if you are playing sharp shooter only at the range, your scope needs will be different. There are people here way better versed regarding this subject than me. I'm just trying to kill animals.

As for 6.5 creedmor. My wife shoots this. I just started reloading it. All I can say is, damn that is one sleek bullet. It is going to be dead nuts accurate at long distances. It gets picked on hard, you know girls and man bun gun. Ya okay. It is probably one of the best rounds out there. We just don't want admit it because it doesn't kick like a mule. I'm watching these guys at my range with their 300 win mags. No thank you. My rancher buddy is dropping elk with a 243. He is the third generation I believe using that gun for hunting.

View attachment 848992
This guy routinely shot out over 1000 yrds
With military hardware
Winchester Model 70... " The Rifleman's rifle"

The Marine Corps used modified Remington 700s for decades.
I have not shot for groups in years, but my old Rem700 in 308, with a McMillan stock, rings steel at 500 with decent factory ammo, pretty easily. At 300 it is almost boringly accurate.
I know that Remington has been in the shitter as of late, but I think that almost every bolt action in that price range will be more capable than 90% of the guys that shoulder the rifle. Pick the rifle/ stock combo that feels right, because honestly, unless you are a world class shooter, the ammo will matter way more than what brand rifle you are shooting,

OK, great turn out on the poll. So just to discuss further what my thinking was. First and foremost was obvious who makes the most accurate factory bolt action for under $2k, and some good other suggestions (not all listed here) were Begara, Ruger Predator (hammer forged barrel pre-cursor to the RPR I believe) and the Springfield Waypoint. I think some of these pics like the Ruger might even be under $1k. Next train of thought I had on caliber choice was not to go $$BROKE buying powder, so I was looking at the smaller sized cartridges. I am setup to reload .223 now and my rem700 bolt gun is only shooting at 1MOA at 100yards ocasionally it shoots under and at times over by a few tenths. I been trying for a year+ to try and inprove that but the 16" barrel might be part of this, the other part problably me. I am using a bipod and a rear sand bag. Scope seems to be fine no issues there. Oh and one last thing, what am I trying to accomplish? To challenge myself to get groups at under 1MOA consistently.....

Thanks for the great recomendations!

Last edited:
OK, great turn out on the poll. So just to discuss further what my thinking was. First and foremost was obvious who makes the most accurate factory bolt action for under $2k, and some good other suggestions (not all listed here) were Begara, Ruger Predator (hammer forged barrel pre-cursor to the RPR I believe) and the Springfield Waypoint. I think some of these pics like the Ruger might even be under $1k. Next train of thought I had on caliber choice was not to go $$BROKE buying powder, so I was looking at the smaller sized cartridges. I am setup to reload .223 now and my rem700 bolt gun is only shooting at 1MOA at 100yards ocasionally it shoots under and at times over by a few tenths. I been trying for a year+ to try and inprove that but the 16" barrel might be part of this, the other part problably me. I am using a bipod and a rear sand bag. Scope seems to be fine no issues there. Oh and one last thing, what am I trying to accomplish? To challenge myself to get groups at under 1MOA consistently.....

The Ruger Predator in the pics is a Gen 1, and can be found for around $500, and the Magpul STANAG stock runs another $250. This one takes AR mags which is good because they're easy to find and cheap, and not so good because feeding can sometimes be an issue. The bolt has to be moved with intention in order to have the round chamber properly. If you try to go too slow, the round jumps up and doesn't feed. I just checked my log book and while running up loads for Hornady 68 grain BTHP and 77 grain SMKs, most three shot groups were under .7" at 100 yards.

Ruger has a new Gen 2 version out for about $600, and reviews seem really good. Backfire has a video on Youtube where he's shooting a .223 and groups are around .5 inch. He also specifically mentions the feeding is much better on the newer model. The factory stock on this one has some adjustability, so it might not have to be replaced right away.

I also have a Tikka T3x stainless in .223 that shoots really well. These sell for around $850, but you'll definitely want to change out the stock. Mine is still in its plastic stock while I'm waiting for a backordered Oryx chassis, but even with a lousy cheek weld, it's a shooter. These two groups were shot with 77 SMKs the day I was breaking in the barrel. The one on the left was somewhere a little over .2". I let the guy shooting next to me try the rifle out and he shot the .3 something" group on the right. The 3" gong at 300 yards is easy with these rounds!

IMG_5731.jpg

Tikka isn't making the Varmint model anymore, but you can get a heavy barrel Super Varmint. Price on these is $1600+.

Another option in .223 is the Bergara Ridge at around $800. I'm hoping Bergara expands their .223 production and eventually offers an HMR version with the nice stock. If they did, I'd buy one in a heartbeat based on the 6.5 HMR I have.

Last edited:

I shot last season using the Pro version of this rifle, incredible value for the money. $2,100 MSRP but you can find it under 2K.

What are the barrel specs ( twist rate, contour, length ) ?

18x is the max you'll ever need out to 700yd. That is if your goal is practical precision(think army/swat snipers). If your goal is ultimate precision(think benchrest competitions), the more, the merrier.
I love it when people claim something is all you will ever need. Sh*t advice.

Back
Top Bottom