• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Who makes the most accurate factory bolt rifle under $2k new for bench work out to 500yrds?

Who makes the most accurate factory bolt rifle under $2k new for bench/target work out to 500yrds?

• Total voters
OK, great turn out on the poll. So just to discuss further what my thinking was. First and foremost was obvious who makes the most accurate factory bolt action for under $2k, and some good other suggestions (not all listed here) were Begara, Ruger Predator (hammer forged barrel pre-cursor to the RPR I believe) and the Springfield Waypoint. I think some of these pics like the Ruger might even be under $1k. Next train of thought I had on caliber choice was not to go $$BROKE buying powder, so I was looking at the smaller sized cartridges. I am setup to reload .223 now and my rem700 bolt gun is only shooting at 1MOA at 100yards ocasionally it shoots under and at times over by a few tenths. I been trying for a year+ to try and inprove that but the 16" barrel might be part of this, the other part problably me. I am using a bipod and a rear sand bag. Scope seems to be fine no issues there. Oh and one last thing, what am I trying to accomplish? To challenge myself to get groups at under 1MOA consistently.....

Thanks for the great recomendations!
Tikka, 6.5cm.
You will get sub MOA groups with factory ammo.
Easy sub 1/2 MOA with reloads.
Reloading 6.5 is stupid easy, you won't end up with 6 powders and 6 different bullet weights. H4350 and 143 grain Hornady ELDX or ELDM work great. You will just have to test for powder load and seating depth. Some people have some success with other powders, but everything I have read points to H4350. That is also how I started and love it.

Why Tikka and not Ruger ... because that action is just worth it. Bergara is also good. I never shot or handled a Waypoint.

6BR might also be great, but I don't reload for it so I can't speak from experience. However I read really good things about it online.

All the others are also capable, but will be a lot more work. In the end, it depends on how much work you want to put into it and once you get SUB MOA what will you do with it? ... will you go hunting? ... competition?... Safe queen?

Last edited:
OK, great turn out on the poll. So just to discuss further what my thinking was. First and foremost was obvious who makes the most accurate factory bolt action for under $2k, and some good other suggestions (not all listed here) were Begara, Ruger Predator (hammer forged barrel pre-cursor to the RPR I believe) and the Springfield Waypoint. I think some of these pics like the Ruger might even be under $1k. Next train of thought I had on caliber choice was not to go $$BROKE buying powder, so I was looking at the smaller sized cartridges. I am setup to reload .223 now and my rem700 bolt gun is only shooting at 1MOA at 100yards ocasionally it shoots under and at times over by a few tenths. I been trying for a year+ to try and inprove that but the 16" barrel might be part of this, the other part problably me. I am using a bipod and a rear sand bag. Scope seems to be fine no issues there. Oh and one last thing, what am I trying to accomplish? To challenge myself to get groups at under 1MOA consistently.....

Thanks for the great recomendations!
I would spend half that amount and re barrel the rifle.

Reloading 6.5 is stupid easy, you won't end up with 6 powders and 6 different bullet weights. H4350 and 143 grain Hornady ELDX or ELDM work great. You will just have to test for powder load and seating depth. Some people have some success with other powders, but everything I have read points to H4350. That is also how I started and love it.
Written by someone who just started reloading...

Perhaps someone more knowledgable could chime in. Oh, wait, here's a good summary from 4 years ago: 6 & 6.5 Creedmoor Load Data – What The Pros Use

Since then StaBALL 6.6 and Vihta powders came on the scene, making 4350 obsolete.

I just started reloading. [laugh]
Did you read the link or just trying to find stuff to post?
I guess you didn't read the article. Like Berger or Nosler bullets or Alliant powders. I get it. Reading might be hard for some...
You also missed the very next sentence I wrote.

What's more, you have made the same basic claim, "All you need..." when it comes to reloading, but then go and mock my own statements to the same effect on scopes. At least mine was qualified advice. Hypocrisy goes by the name 'Brock''.

I guess you didn't read the article. Like Berger or Nosler bullets or Alliant powders. I get it. Reading might be hard for some...
You also missed the very next sentence I wrote.

What's more, you have made the same basic claim, "All you need..." when it comes to reloading, but then go and mock my own statements to the same effect on scopes. At least mine was qualified advice. Hypocrisy goes by the name 'Brock''.
Read. I never said one powder or one bullet is what he needed, I said it is a good place to start because that combination works pretty well for 6.5.

But just like everything, the OP could go out, buy 6 powders, 6 or 7 different bullets, spend a few weeks testing and find something else. But if you read his post (again, READ), you will see he doesn't want to do that.

I will quote it for you:
Next train of thought I had on caliber choice was not to go $$BROKE buying powder

michael-jordan-stop-it.gif
Enough of your junk.

@Keven, once you get sub MOA groups consistently, what are your plans for the rifle?

Last edited:
But prices really flipped upside down now and 4350 is more affordable than r16.
The world is turning upside down. Alliant used to be the best bang for a buck.

I also hear the new StaBALL HD meters very well(it's ball powder). By the way, is R16 stick or ball powder?

Last edited:
Yup, based on the $2k budget, I bet I could even buy all the tools needed as well, if I go with Criterion. I hear lots of good reports on this maker. Then once I have those few basic tools next time I can go with a higher end barrel. Great idea!

The CMP did an RFP for a new barrel maker some years ago and selected Criterion as the vendor of choice and all rebarrelled rifles from them have one.

Once again proving all NES posts end in verbal fisticuffs. Sheesh.

Funny. I was surprised I was not yet accused of actually being a troll and that I actually may be Maura Healey because I posted about a bolt action rifle. Kinda like accushooter forum, where he blocks legitimate users from joining due to paranoia rather than using proper spam tools and moderation.

I have a Rem 700, Bergara, and a custom shop Savage.
1) the 700 is fine. But pretty much everything needs to be replaced. ha.
2) The Bergara is a great gun. It's a 700 made the way it should be made. It may be the most accurate out of the box.
3) My Savage is a legitimate .6 MOA gun. I'm talking about the AVERAGE size of FIVE shot groups. Not a cherry picked 3 shot group. But sadly, the bolt action still feels like a $400 Axis. Fantastic accuracy but unsatisfying to operate.

I recently shot a friends RPR.
$1350 gets you an RPR that shoots sub MOA. The bolt is a joy to run and it's got a legitimately adjustable chassis.

$2000 gets you pretty close to a RPR with a Bartlein barrel. Which would be an absolute tack driver. (The RPR barrel is very easy to change yourself if you are even a little handy)

Back
Top Bottom