Congressman Asks Big Sis to Explain Huge Ammo Purchases

I would re-allocate funds to maintain operations as best as possible. Right now the agency is increasing spending on ammo but reducing the amount of agents on the line and reducing the amount of gas we can put in our trucks when we are on the line. Manpower and fuel are far more critical to operations than ammo.

Oh, so you would actually be sensible. Too bad people like you never get to run government organizations. :)

No, but I do know that money is an object. Our sector's fuel and maintenance budget was just cut by 70%. Our pay is being cut by 43% in 17 days. Money is an object.

That sux big time. I hope that they can figure out a way to reduce the impact and that you can make it to the next fiscal year without going broke.

That really sux.

The main point is based on current training usage DHS has purchased enough ammo for 75 years of training.

They're clearly not buying it for training.

As has been discussed, these numbers are incomplete, so the equation is inherently flawed, but just going off the numbers given of 1.6b rounds and 15m used yearly, it gives them training ammo for 106.666666 years (1.6b /15m).

/Mathgeek

Hey mathgeek, did you check out the other posts on how many agents DHS has and how many rounds DHS agents fire in practice/qual? :D

We need better numbers to start with before you can do good math.

That sux big time. I hope that they can figure out a way to reduce the impact and that you can make it to the next fiscal year without going broke.

That really sux.

WTF.

Best of luck with that, I'm sorry.

The concern is appreciated. We have our own tinfoil theories within the agencies as to what's going to happen. Right now everyone is pretty convinced that the goal is to make things very unpleasant for employees so those near the top of the payscale that are eligible for retirement but not yet at the age of mandatory retirement will just call it quits. This would have the same effect as layoffs without the political cost of actually laying people off.

No, but I do know that money is an object. Our sector's fuel and maintenance budget was just cut by 70%. Our pay is being cut by 43% in 17 days. Money is an object.

Is that mostly from reduced overtime, or are you also facing a once a week furlough day like DARPA/DoD civilian agencies?

What I don't get is if the math is as simple as Pappy points out, why doesn't DHS respond and put this whole damn debate to rest? I can't see any upside to letting the speculation continue.

The concern is appreciated. We have our own tinfoil theories within the agencies as to what's going to happen. Right now everyone is pretty convinced that the goal is to make things very unpleasant for employees so those near the top of the payscale that are eligible for retirement but not yet at the age of mandatory retirement will just call it quits. This would have the same effect as layoffs without the political cost of actually laying people off.

Good luck with this I have been through several RIFs but survived. What you say about pushing the ones at the top of the pay scale is a tried and true approach that has worked for years (they must teach that at big goverment managers training school). I worked for the feds at one time (not a LEO) and that’s where I really learned to hate big and small government (yes folks small gov sucks just as bad). Contrary to what a lot of posters on this forum like to maintain a lot of federal employees are hardworking folks in a shitty system who care about constitutional rights. I got out because I could not stand the politics and the PC crap. I've done alright but I feel for some of my buddies that stayed in.

Just curious you are in AZ, are you a NE transplant or do you just enjoy posting on this forum because we are so intellectually stimulating?

If the DHS is requiring 750 rounds / quarter for qualification, that right there is wasteful.

750 rounds in a single session is well past qualification requirements, it's deep into muscle fatigue / endurance testing.
Qualifying every quarter is excessive. They'd be much better off to set up a once / month 100 round training sessions + once a year 300 round qualification. Half the ammunition and more regular training in smaller amounts is much more effective for skills maintaince.

Ochmude,

Definately feel for you. I don't think anyone here is faulting any of the rank and file members of the DHS agencies, or saying that they are wasteful (some may be, but you'll get that anywhere.) We're talking about the leadership and policy makers. If the agents really are being forced to burn-up 3k rounds / year each for training and qualifications, then let the leadership publish those numbers and justify the purchases.

Is that mostly from reduced overtime, or are you also facing a once a week furlough day like DARPA/DoD civilian agencies?

It mostly comes from de-certification for overtime. Right now we have 2 hours of overtime built into our shifts to cover shift changes and processing arrest/booking paperwork. Those hours aren't paid at a true OT rate, though, since they're built in (more like time and a quarter). But we're also being furloughed one day every other week. We're also losing FLSA coverage somehow, but I haven't figured out how that will work yet. Ultimately, the result is going from 100 hours per payperiod to 72 hours per payperiod, plus losing a few categories of premium pay.

My wife and I should weather the paycut without too much heartache, but the bigger issue in my mind is the fact that the loss of those 2 hours of overtime means that there will be about 1 hour and 45 minutes between each shift where there are zero agents on the border. These gaps will take place at the same times, three times a day, every single day. Soooooo, yeah, pretty much wide open borders.

I would like to know exactly from them who the ammo was going too, and is it actualy being shared by all of the agencies stated, and if possible a total amout of ammo used by all agencies per year

This is the largest order ever in a time when money is tight, so i would like to see even if its a legit amount of ammo, exactly where my money and ammo is going

What I don't get is if the math is as simple as Pappy points out, why doesn't DHS respond and put this whole damn debate to rest? I can't see any upside to letting the speculation continue.
Same reason The President didn't release his documentation until the crazies had made themselves looks as foolish as possible before debunking it?

Why answer questions until it is in your best interest? Let people be distracted by a non-issue, if it is a non issue. I f it isn't a non-issue, why answer it unless forced to do so?

The most transparent administration in history.

It mostly comes from de-certification for overtime. Right now we have 2 hours of overtime built into our shifts to cover shift changes and processing arrest/booking paperwork. Those hours aren't paid at a true OT rate, though, since they're built in (more like time and a quarter). But we're also being furloughed one day every other week. We're also losing FLSA coverage somehow, but I haven't figured out how that will work yet. Ultimately, the result is going from 100 hours per payperiod to 72 hours per payperiod, plus losing a few categories of premium pay.

My wife and I should weather the paycut without too much heartache, but the bigger issue in my mind is the fact that the loss of those 2 hours of overtime means that there will be about 1 hour and 45 minutes between each shift where there are zero agents on the border. These gaps will take place at the same times, three times a day, every single day. Soooooo, yeah, pretty much wide open borders.

Wow [shocked]

Good luck with this I have been through several RIFs but survived. What you say about pushing the ones at the top of the pay scale is a tried and true approach that has worked for years (they must teach that at big goverment managers training school). I worked for the feds at one time (not a LEO) and that’s where I really learned to hate big and small government (yes folks small gov sucks just as bad). Contrary to what a lot of posters on this forum like to maintain a lot of federal employees are hardworking folks in a shitty system who care about constitutional rights. I got out because I could not stand the politics and the PC crap. I've done alright but I feel for some of my buddies that stayed in.

Just curious you are in AZ, are you a NE transplant or do you just enjoy posting on this forum because we are so intellectually stimulating?

I used to live in Holyoke and Chicopee after that. I stick around NES because the gun forum for this area (AZ) is rather boring. The BS laws in Massachusetts, as horrible as they are, actually give people interesting things to talk about.

False FLETC, the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center uses 15-20 million per year. That's just the academy for Federal LEOs. Once they get to their agencies, they do their own training there. Also, ICE(Immigration and Customs Enforcement) is an agency within DHS. So, yeah, DHS is going to be giving some of the ammo to ICE. Let me repost something that I already posted on this forum. It's a breakdown of the number of training rounds for DHS:
Just going off of what the article said... typical article doesn't break it down completely... Thanks for the clarification.

The 15 million per year was JUST for the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center, or FLETC. That's basically the academy for Federal agents. Training goes on at many more locations than that. And anyway, FLETC actually claims to use about 20 million rounds per year when everything is said and done.

Let's look at a rough breakdown of the numbers.
1,600,000,000 rounds. How many years is that for? I haven't been able to find out, but I've seen previous purchases claimed to be for 5 years. So, lets say 5 years.
So now we have 320,000,000 per year.
Remove the 20,000,000 for FLETC and we are left with 300,000,000 rounds per year for all of DHS.
DHS has
Homeland Security Investigations(special agents for ICE) : 8,500 agents
Border Patrol : 21,444 agents
Secret Service: 4,400 agents
Coast Guard: 41,873 active and 8,100 reserves
Total, we have 84,317 personnel that need to stay proficient with their firearms. That's NOT including all the uniformed police for ICE and the Secret Service. That's also not including the small number of special agents in the inspector general offices of the other agencies.

Broken down, that 300,000,000 rounds for a year divided by 84,317 gives us:
3,558 rounds per year to train with. Shooters who train regularly know that while this certainly isn't a pittance, it's not a massive amount either. It's definitely not super alarming or outrageous.

Question:
I thought the Coast Guard was covered under the DOD since it is considered a branch of the Military? So wouldn't they get FMJ just like the rest of the military through military supply?

Also, Reserves do NOT shoot unless it is a part of their rating (mos / specialty)... I would guestimate that half of the Coast Guard shooting would still be an over estimate.

Just going off of what the article said... typical article doesn't break it down completely... Thanks for the clarification.

Question:
I thought the Coast Guard was covered under the DOD since it is considered a branch of the Military? So wouldn't they get FMJ just like the rest of the military through military supply?

Also, Reserves do NOT shoot unless it is a part of their rating (mos / specialty)... I would guestimate that half of the Coast Guard shooting would still be an over estimate.
The Coast Guard used to be under Department of Transportation, and would be folded into Department of Defense during times of war. After 9/11, they were brought into Department of Homeland Security. Additionally, they're mission has expanded substantially and some coasties are actually classified as FLEO's, complete with LEOSA coverage and everything.

Regarding the 750 rounds/quarter, that seemed pretty high to me, so I just re-checked my record book. That number that I originally posted (3510) also included the firearms training at the academy, which was 3 times a week rather than just once a quarter. So that artificially inflated the quarterly average. I feel like an ass for not catching that earlier. I just looked at my total round count and didn't pay attention to the dates. I swear I wasn't trying to be misleading in any way. Right now for FY13 I'm averaging 336 rounds per quarter, excluding off duty shooting.

Wow, if only we had an extra $250MM laying around somewhere, I'm sure that would help instead of cutting your pay. Sorry about that, is there someone we can call or write to?

[laugh2] This. I am sick and tired of people here saying ooooh, it's for training. BULLSHIT. Lets see, who here uses hollow point ammo for practice except for once in a while and to make sure your gun cycles it properly? Thought so. Now , how can DHS justify letting violent illegals, drunk drivers etc out of prison due to ...wait for it....CUTS....well here's an idea...stop buying so many bullets. How is that for critical thinking?

I know for a fact they use hollow point for training, and I am not a Federal Agent

Regarding the 750 rounds/quarter, that seemed pretty high to me, so I just re-checked my record book. That number that I originally posted (3510) also included the firearms training at the academy, which was 3 times a week rather than just once a quarter. So that artificially inflated the quarterly average. I feel like an ass for not catching that earlier. I just looked at my total round count and didn't pay attention to the dates. I swear I wasn't trying to be misleading in any way. Right now for FY13 I'm averaging 336 rounds per quarter, excluding off duty shooting.

Ok, that's a lot more reasonable. As a tax payer, I don't mind paying for qualifying and reasonable training. I was involved in writing up a proposal for our local police officers to get upto 2 hours paid range training time per month with upto 100rd department provided ammunition for training, providing that targets and range time was properly logged and accounted for. While it didn't pass, I tried to help push it through because several recent incidents have demonstrated how lacking many of our local police officers are in terms of firearms training - in one incident, 3 officers fired more than 30 rounds at a shooter and missed completely.

I know for a fact they use hollow point for training, and I am not a Federal Agent

Since an investigation into the events following an assassination attempt on Ronald Reagan showed that a federal agent missed the shooter because of the difference in ballistics between his training ammunition (.38 Special Wad-cutter) and duty ammunition (.357 magnum semi-jacketed hollow point) it has been policy for federal agencies to train/qualify with their carry ammunition.

Since an investigation into the events following an assassination attempt on Ronald Reagan showed that a federal agent missed the shooter because of the difference in ballistics between his training ammunition (.38 Special Wad-cutter) and duty ammunition (.357 magnum semi-jacketed hollow point) it has been policy for federal agencies to train/qualify with their carry ammunition.

I thought that happened after the Truman attempt, read it in American Gunfight. Great book by the way.

This was a purchase by DHS not DoD so I'm not sure if Geneva Convention rules apply within our own borders or for agencies not engaged in war/armed conflict with other countries.

I think it's totally stupid that some international body thinks they can regulate how one country kills another.

They did that with bayonets. Guys were bleeding to death from the old WW1 bayonets. They said the doctors couldn't stitch up the wounded man.

Unfortunately people die. But isn't that the point?

Last edited:
RK1717,

The Hague Convension and Geneva Conventions were established to provide moral boundries which countries agreed to adhere to in an effort to slow the escalation of war. Stratigically, killing the enemy isn't the goal, greviously wounding him is the goal. Prior to these conventions of the "Rules of War" countries were developing every more diabolical and vicious methods of wounding enemy soldiers without killing them because caring for the wounded requires much more effort than burying the dead and seeing maimed commrades in agonizing pain without the possibility of treatment is extremely demoralizing and much more effective militarily than simply killing him.

The path countries were on before these conventions were conviened wasn't one where soldiers were getting killed, rather one where ever increasing numbers of soldiers and civilians were being left perminantly maimed with painful, often festerting wounds. The US adheres to these conventions of war conduct because we expect our enemies to do the same.

DHS is horseshit. period.

If the goal is to make us safer, spend their insane budget on getting people to wash their hands, and wear seatbelts. That will save 10,000 % more lives than DHS ever will.

Here's some math. 100,000 armed DHS personnel, into 1.6billion rounds comes out to 16000. 16000 / 5 years equals 3200 per officer per year. 800 per quarter or 266 rds per month for both quals, training and duty.

Back
Top Bottom