• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Credit card purchases

Yep that's what I was going for 🤣
giphy.gif

It does.

You see he is in "the system", there are numerous parts of "the system". So when your name is entered in any of the systems, those systems share the info with other systems within the system and your name is now.. in... "the system".

Do you see now?
🤯

What’s everyone opinion on purchasing firearms with credit cards? Or do you strictly use cash?

Are you buying from someone you know? Cash is fine. Someone who is sketchy or you might need to have the ability to do a charge-back if all other things fail? CC. Also make use of a temporary CC for online purchases. Venmo is nice, as sometimes I just want to send it "like cash" but not have cash on me.

I use cc for everything. I bought a new Toyota Camry on my credit cards and got cash back. If a merchant gives a discount for cash/check, then I'll use a check. Once upon a time I used a company Amex card to buy a gun . . . only to find out that my manager received monthly print-outs of every transaction in detail . . . only did that once (and he never said a word to me about it).

If the cc company "reported me" to the local PD for buying a gun, I'd welcome the visit. The chief knows me, as does most of his command staff, and some of the officers are real gun people, so the conversation would be welcomed. YMMV

It does.

You see he is in "the system", there are numerous parts of "the system". So when your name is entered in any of the systems, those systems share the info with other systems within the system and your name is now.. in... "the system".

Do you see now?
That sounds systematic

What happens there?

I drive by there every day.

Can you elaborate?

Remember how I DM'd you, and said we met before?

You know what happens there.

Although nothing is more terrifying than the face you make when you lick the mustard directly off the bread. No euphemism there either.

I have no desire to give a corporate bank 3% of my purchase vs letting the gun store I’m buying from keep it. And generally any store will give you a cash discount that’s better than whatever rewards the corporate bank has bribed you with.

A lot of places now are adding in the CC fees. I bought a Weather tech phone holder with my cc, in N.H. and noticed the charge was more than it should have been.
There was a charge on the sales slip that I didn't understand and when I looked it , it basically said cc fee.

I just looked online and read

“Credit card purchases of firearms in the US can now be tracked and purchases deemed suspicious can even be shared with law enforcement, according to a new measure approved by an organization that sets parameters for business transactions.”
Right........and no one knows you're on the internet either....[rofl]

I read that gun shops get classified as high risk by cc companies, so they pay higher fees than other types of businesses. That’s why there are so many cash discounts.

Matt Larosiere (Fuddbusters) has a video on it and he advised a startup that has lower fees

View: https://youtu.be/Hky5gKh6b2E?si=AV_TD9b0BeSBSO70

Nah. Plenty of processors offer competitive fees to gun shops. Plenty of processors that hate gun shops and freedom but you just avoid them. I pay the same rates as any other retail store doing high 5 figures a month in charges. You just need to do a little more work to find gun friendly processors. But the rates are identical to other retail.

What’s everyone opinion on purchasing firearms with credit cards? Or do you strictly use cash?
Tinfoil question or financial question?

I’m a gun shop. I charge my customers 3% more for using plastic. Ok, I give a cash discount (to be compliant with terms of service for MC and Visa). So many will pay cash to pay less. But if gku are getting 2% back it’s close to a wash.

Tinfoil, ok. I’m coded as sporting goods (for now) in the system. They don’t know you bought a gun but they can deduce it based on the amount charged. So what. Fa10. 4473. Plenty of paper trail out there.

The only thing paying plastic for that makes NO SENSE is 80% frames or lowers.

cash for anything I can pay cash for, it is better for the business and the CC company does not know I am buying anything from Merchant Category Code 5941, and the only reason that code "sporting goods" still exists is states have pushed back at a specific MCC for gun shops and related

Unfortunately I like DeSantis holsters and I get them off Amazon so AWS knows I make firearm related purchases and can infer the rest.

It’s a form of currency that can be used to buy anything, including flights, vs airline points which can be used for…flights.
Have you tried buying an airline ticket with cold hard cash in the last decade?
Still works for those puddle-jumper charter lines in the Midwest, but it's non-trivial at airline of the size that they issue points.

I have no issue with using cards unless cash or another method saves me a fee.

If privacy is a concern I’ve given up on that years ago. been fingerprinted dozens of times, iris scanned, known to Dod, TSA and customs (and Chinese government if the rumors are true). I file paper work for firearms in multiple places, on video dozens of places daily (including work) and my phone and car know where I am at all times.
Given up on thinking paying cash somehow protects me. Pure fantasy.

Back
Top Bottom