• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Confused about flying with ammo in luggage (no firearm); declare and lock, or no?

daveshrews

NES Member
I apologize if this is a repost, but my searches turned up lots of contradictory information:

I am flying to Virginia later this month, and am thinking of having some ammo shipped to my parents in VA so I can fly back to Boston with it. If flying with a firearm in checked luggage, I know you have to declare the firearm at check-in and lock the case. However, the way I am reading the TSA and JetBlue regs, if I pack ammo but no firearm, I don't have to declare anything or lock anything. Is this correct?

As far as I can tell, the only requirement is that the ammo be packed in a suitable fiber box (i.e. the original factory box.) So can I just put some boxes of ammo in my suitcase, and check it at the ticket counter without doing anything extra?

Confused about flying with ammo in luggage (no firearm); declare and lock, or n

Hey Stevie, I know there is nothing illegal about it, but I've been unable to find a new place that will do it that has what I want in stock right now. I had a place.. they are no longer in business. :(

I will prob just do UPS this time. Thanks for the responses!

I apologize if this is a repost, but my searches turned up lots of contradictory information:

I am flying to Virginia later this month, and am thinking of having some ammo shipped to my parents in VA so I can fly back to Boston with it. If flying with a firearm in checked luggage, I know you have to declare the firearm at check-in and lock the case. However, the way I am reading the TSA and JetBlue regs, if I pack ammo but no firearm, I don't have to declare anything or lock anything. Is this correct?

As far as I can tell, the only requirement is that the ammo be packed in a suitable fiber box (i.e. the original factory box.) So can I just put some boxes of ammo in my suitcase, and check it at the ticket counter without doing anything extra?

Im not sure on the details of thelaws but I ups my ammo to where I'm headed and if there's any left or if I purchase more there I just ups it back. The rates aren't bad and I just figure it saves me in weight packing in my bags .

If it's in your checked baggage, I don't think you have to declare it. Most airlines have an 11 pound limit on ammo, but no one has ever taken it out and weighed in when I've traveled with ammo. The problem of course is that it could disappear while being moved around the airports you'll be traveling in. I'd personally just send it by UPS ground. If you do that remember you must mark the outside of the box "Orm D Cartridges, Small Arms" on the side of the box. Of course if you are using the same box, it will already be marked.

You can not ship ammo via USPS, except for antique ammunition that is not commercially available any longer.

In your checked bag, declare it. Done, and cheaper than ground shipping.

Side note, was talking with my father who is a FLEO, last time he came for a visit. He travels armed, as waiting through the TSA makes him angry. And he told me, as a declared fed agent, traveling armed, he can carry his pistol, but was ticked to no end he couldn't have a spare mag in his carry on. How funny is that?

lol, I tried to do a quick google search for restrictions relating to flying with ammo but only got dozens of articles about ammo flying off shelves.

Safe Travel
US DOT regulations do not limit the total number of packages or the total weight that may be transported in checked baggage; however, the ammunition must be for "personal use." Many air carriers limit the amount of small arms ammunition that may be carried in checked baggage to 11 lbs., (5 kg) consistent with international standards. When in doubt, check with your air carrier.

If you check it. Without locking and declaring it. The baggage fools will go full retard on your crap, and after you make the news, you will start an out yourself Olympics thread here for being cavity searched once your luggage was destroyed by eod. Without you getting time to explain.

In your checked bag, declare it. Done, and cheaper than ground shipping.

Side note, was talking with my father who is a FLEO, last time he came for a visit. He travels armed, as waiting through the TSA makes him angry. And he told me, as a declared fed agent, traveling armed, he can carry his pistol, but was ticked to no end he couldn't have a spare mag in his carry on. How funny is that?

"Carry on" is not considered under total control of the LEO and hence subject to the same regulations as anyone else's carry on.

If you check it. Without locking and declaring it.
There is no procedure for declaring checked ammo on domestic flights. You can tell the airline there is ammo in the bag, but there is no declaration form (as there is for guns) to inform the TSA luggage screeners that the ammo was "declared", therefore, no difference in processing of declared and undeclared ammo at the luggage checkpoint. Undeclared guns (ie, without the declaration tag) can bring misfortune to the traveler.

Flights to Canada require declaration, and a "Munitions" sticker goes on the luggage with the ammo.

Last edited:
Declare it. Some TSA agents have more of a hard on than others. When my dad flew with ammo for a hunting trip in March, TSA in NY made him buy a TSA lock and lock his bag. When I flew out of Logan for the same trip with ammo in my bag, they just put the tag in, no questions asked. Its going to get searched when it comes up on the scanner so having the orange tag in there is the way to go. Its really no big deal and takes an extra 2 minutes at the counter. Much easier than trying to ship it. BTW, they don't check the weight. As long as the bag isn't over 50lbs you are good to go. I had more than 11lbs worth. :)

There's no need to declare ammo. My biggest worry trying to declare it would be the TSA searching your bag, finding the declared firearm tag... and no gun. Most airlines are up to 11 pounds, Air Alaska I believe is the only one that is 50 pounds. I use the MTM 100 round cases, with cardboard in between the bullets and the lid so nothing jiggles and then I duct tape the box. Flying out of Boston, checking the bag took all of 2 minutes. Flying back from Florida I had to go to overweight baggage and they searched everything with a fine tooth comb (literally). Nothing illegal, so no problems. Why waste the money on shipping when you can check a bag for free? Do it once, get over the fear and it will be easy for the rest of your life or until they change the regulations.

For added piece of mind, throw a sticker with your name, address and cell phone number on every single ammo box with instructions to call you if there's any concern. Then just keep the cellphone on you.

Jet Blue Regs: 10 pounds of Ammo per customer. I would declare it, or better yet, just ship it to yourself.

Shipping from VA to MA UPS Ground is between $26 for 30# to $41 for 60#. Since "sporting equipment" can be considered an additional checked bag for $30 on Jet Blue it may work out for you. Plus, less hassle. Just my $.02.

Im not sure on the details of thelaws but I ups my ammo to where I'm headed and if there's any left or if I purchase more there I just ups it back. The rates aren't bad and I just figure it saves me in weight packing in my bags .

Just out of curiosity, do you declare what is in the package to the shipper, or just say it's "machine parts", or something like that? I ask because I am under the impression that they charge some type of hazardous material surcharge, or something when shipping ammo, at least that's how it seems when people buy ammo mail order in states that allow it. I wonder if they x-rayed the package and found that you lied on the form if you would be subject to fines, and/or confiscation? Maybe I'm over thinking this, but after reading several threads about these shippers wrt policies on firearms, it certainly does merit some thought anyway.

With ups there is a sticker you put on that indicates it is hazardous material, thats it. No declaring what is inside for ammo

Thanks again for all the responses. But I have to laugh... so far I've heard: "Declare it!"... "Don't declare it!!" "DECLARE IT!" etc. :)

I think THIS time around I'm going to ship it back via UPS, but I may try flying with some ammo NEXT time around. I will probably just tell the ticket agent "I have ammunition in my checked bag. Do I need to declare it with you or not?" It probably doesn't hurt to ask.

One question on UPS shipping: I know I have to have "ORM D Small Arms Cartridges" on the outside of the box. Do I need the special ORM D sticker for that or can I simply write it in sharpie somewhere noticeable on the box?

Just out of curiosity, do you declare what is in the package to the shipper, or just say it's "machine parts", or something like that? I ask because I am under the impression that they charge some type of hazardous material surcharge, or something when shipping ammo, at least that's how it seems when people buy ammo mail order in states that allow it. I wonder if they x-rayed the package and found that you lied on the form if you would be subject to fines, and/or confiscation? Maybe I'm over thinking this, but after reading several threads about these shippers wrt policies on firearms, it certainly does merit some thought anyway.

You *are* over-thinking it. I UPS'd ammo to and from Texas (from/to MA). Just write "ORM-D" in big letters on the box and that's it. I didn't use a sticker, or state it's ammo. Just ORM-D so they know it's hazardous. It's all by weight alone. No 'extra' for shipping ammo. They don't inspect or x-ray it.

The sticker or labeling should read "ORM-D Cartridges, Small Arms". Ammo must be sent ground only and will not be accepted by an intermediary (UPS Store, Staples, etc.) - you have to arrange pickup or use a UPS or Fedex depot.

You MUST ship ground. I know of one case where someone shipped ammo via air and the package broke open in transit, resulting in a HEAVY fine from the feds.

Ammo is not Hazmat, and any shipping clerk who thinks otherwise is in error. Primer and powder are hazmat.

Ammo doesn't ship hazmat. Primers and powder do (and IIRC have to be shipped separately)

The sticker or labeling should read "ORM-D Cartridges, Small Arms". Ammo must be sent ground only and will not be accepted by an intermediary (UPS Store, Staples, etc.) - you have to arrange pickup or use a UPS or Fedex depot.

You MUST ship ground. I know of one case where someone shipped ammo via air and the package broke open in transit, resulting in a HEAVY fine from the feds.

Ammo is not Hazmat, and any shipping clerk who thinks otherwise is in error. Primer and powder are hazmat.

Excellent info in these 2 posts and you guys answered all of my questions, and probably helped the OP a bit more also - thanks!

Back
Top Bottom