• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Conceal carry gun for wife, need opinions!

She seems to have difficulty manipulating the slide, as she does with most of my semi's.

Try a Sig P238. Shoots nice with little recoil and the slide is very easy to rack.

I have a S&W 642 revolver also. 15 oz. and easy to hide but it stings your hand when you shoot it. It's a great pocket gun and can be very accurate and on target quickly with the Crimson Laser Grips.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I agree 100%, I've been an RN for over 10 years, ER, ICU mainly, Doing Home Care full time now, but have been doing that on a part time basis since 2007. There are way too many occasions where you are separated from your bag. I too get sent into crap neighborhoods, but at the moment I do not carry while working because I often get sent into Rhode Island for work unexpectedly, and do not have my RI permit, but in the process of getting it for that reason, to carry all the time. I would have her look into ankle carry, obviously not the best option if needed to use it, but it will allow her to have full control of it at all times.

I am also a female health care worker with hands on patient care. The only off body carry was in a locked cabinet. I tried a belly band and found it just ok. Ankle holster is by far the best for me. YMMV

As many have suggested or will suggest, take her to the range to try test drive some firearms. I am going to a range in NH with 1 rental fee and can use any pistol with same caliber.

I briefly looked at the S & W bodyguard 380. I thought it would be nice for conceal but i need something to double as a range pistol for the first few months until i convince my wife to let me get a second

Or maybe the taurus curve... Not sure how reviews are

well its not a large revolver, but for such a small package the glock 42 is very comfortable to shoot, barely any recoil to speak of. My wife approves [wink]

Get her a Glock 42, and have it cerakoted in a pretty color. OD Green is pretty. :) Pic courtesy of Northeast Arms in Peabody.

11220117_412912415547320_820588447588393645_n.jpg

I would stay away from the little compacts like the bodyguard, etc. My wife is comfortable shooting full size 9, rifle, etc. I brought the bodyguard to the range and after one clip, she wanted nothing to do with it. But the sub compacts are loud, and they will probably scare an attacker away. maybe. I want her to try the SR9C.

My wife would never carry but if she did it would not be a semi-auto. She can't rack the slide and they're too complicated. (She did not take shop in HS)
She likes shooting my S&W 66. If she ever did carry I am sure it would be my S&W 642 Airweight or my Ruger LCR loaded with 38SPC.

In the interim, get her some Sabre pepper gel.

SW 642 good lil 38 revolver internal hammer that will not get caught up on clothing or a pocket book if ever need with a hard trigger pull perfect for a young lady easy conceal

+1 on this. Great gun and u can get it with the Crimson trace laser grip if that makes her feel safer in a situation of stress. Additional critical defense makes hp "lite" that are only 100 gr and not bad to shoot.

My wife would never carry but if she did it would not be a semi-auto. She can't rack the slide and they're too complicated. (She did not take shop in HS)
She likes shooting my S&W 66. If she ever did carry I am sure it would be my S&W 642 Airweight or my Ruger LCR loaded with 38SPC.

In the interim, get her some Sabre pepper gel.

Dude, its really not that complicated.

Dude, its really not that complicated.

My wife graduated from tufts, is a jazz singer and can memorize completely new lyrics in 3 hours or less although you'd never know if she forgot anything because she would improvise without missing a note, is totally fearless, took up scuba diving a few years ago, would take up skydiving in a minute,
but...
Taking the cap off the tire air valve is complicated. Which way does it turn?

My wife graduated from tufts, is a jazz singer and can memorize completely new lyrics in 3 hours or less although you'd never know if she forgot anything because she would improvise without missing a note, is totally fearless, took up scuba diving a few years ago, would take up skydiving in a minute,
but...
Taking the cap off the tire air valve is complicated. Which way does it turn?

ok, fair enough

AR15, super fun to shoot. The sling makes it easy to carry as well. [wink]

Shield or Glock 43 if you can get one. My gf likes the 43 more, she says it has less recoil. She's super petite and has no problem racking the slides... maybe it's just technique.

Last edited:
This is a great thread for me! (I am also leaning toward revolver.)
Gives me some things to think about...thanks.
Had a SW442 for many years but went to the G43 when it came out and have never regretted it...much (much!) more accurate, easier to shoot (shooting a 442 can kill your hand after a while)...And the SW442 is 5 shots of .38 and you're out, versus the G43, 9mm with 6+1, and I could shoot a full mag, eject and load another, shoot that, eject and load another and (maybe ) even do it AGAIN before you can break the 442, eject the 5 casings (which is a bitch, by the way, the way the 442 cylinder breaks out and leaves little room for ejection of spent shells..especially if you're under any duress/stress like a shootout), reload it etc etc...The reason I switched was a guy at MVGC did this exact drill with me, and by the time I'd emptied and reloaded he was already on mag #3.... Plus, two or three spare speedloaders for a 442 would be MUCH bulkier, print more, etc than two or three spare mags in a G43. I also feel better carrying Federal HST in the G43 than I did with the +p 38s in the 442....Again, just my opinion. Do what's best for your situation(s)
I know everyone is different and has their likes and dislikes, but as much as I liked carrying the airweight 442,the G43 is much better, in my opinion

Last edited:
I'd also consider getting her knife. If she gets into trouble chances are it's going to be at very close range. I remember doing clinically and tagging along with a visiting nurse, we went into some creepy houses.

I've been very happy with my spyderco civilian, and at contact distances, I'd rather have it than one of my pistols.

null_77.jpg

I would stay away from the little compacts like the bodyguard, etc. My wife is comfortable shooting full size 9, rifle, etc. I brought the bodyguard to the range and after one clip, she wanted nothing to do with it. But the sub compacts are loud, and they will probably scare an attacker away. maybe. I want her to try the SR9C.

Again, G42! sub compact with recoil on par with your full size 9. im telling ya my wife shoots it no problemo

well its not a large revolver, but for such a small package the glock 42 is very comfortable to shoot, barely any recoil to speak of. My wife approves [wink]

+1. .380's I've shot in the past have hurt. The Glock42 is the first one I've enjoyed shooting, and it's light enough and small enough to always have.

On any gun you buy, be sure that she can rack the slide. Some of the smaller semis have stout recoil springs. the Sig P238 is an exception and very easy to rack.

Sig P238. Great gun for concealed carry. Can "dress it up" with aftermarket grips.

My wife has lousy hands (carpal tunnel, arthritis) at age 52, but has no problem with the Sig. Can rack it with the safety still on is a good feature.

Great personal defense gun, and it's pretty fun at the range, too. Not too snappy.

Last edited:
Have her watch the faliaphotography videos too for carry options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom