• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Conceal carry gun for wife, need opinions!

My wife just started a new job in a town that's a little iffy. She's a visiting nurse and typically sees about 10-12 patients a night between 4pm-8pm. She loves going to the range and definitely has her personal favorite guns of mine to shoot, but she's not 100% sold on carrying. Im hoping by getting her her own "pretty" gun that she'll come around to the idea of bringing it with her. My fear is that if I get her a small sub compact that she wont like it because it wont be fun to shoot. Of all my handguns she loves my 6" 686, so I'm leaning towards getting her a 4" version (or something similar like a GP 101) but Im afraid itll be to heavy for her to want to carry...I should mention that she'd most likely be carrying it in her work bag.

So I need thoughts, opinions...insults? whatever, help me make a decision!

My wife just started a new job in a town that's a little iffy. She's a visiting nurse and typically sees about 10-12 patients a night between 4pm-8pm. She loves going to the range and definitely has her personal favorite guns of mine to shoot, but she's not 100% sold on carrying. Im hoping by getting her her own "pretty" gun that she'll come around to the idea of bringing it with her. My fear is that if I get her a small sub compact that she wont like it because it wont be fun to shoot. Of all my handguns she loves my 6" 686, so I'm leaning towards getting her a 4" version (or something similar like a GP 101) but Im afraid itll be to heavy for her to want to carry...I should mention that she'd most likely be carrying it in her work bag.

So I need thoughts, opinions...insults? whatever, help me make a decision!

well its not a large revolver, but for such a small package the glock 42 is very comfortable to shoot, barely any recoil to speak of. My wife approves [wink]

I wouldn't buy her something she's never shot for fear of her not liking it.
Give her options, let her shoot them.

If she wants it to be pretty, cerakote it after the fact.

I think your best bet is to take her to a LGS, and let her pick out a gun that she likes, and is comfortable with. Good luck!!

Kahr PM9 is a nice little gun.

I love mine and carry it daily. My go-to for carrying where I'm "not allowed" to carry and need concealment to be top priority.

Off body carry is a bad idea IMO especially if you're in a job like a visiting nurse where you bring your bag into different places all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

I think your best bet is to take her to a LGS, and let her pick out a gun that she likes, and is comfortable with. Good luck!!

this is a good answer too...let her pick. OP, do you order her food for her at a restaurant too? [wink]

Kahr PM9 is a nice little gun.

I love mine and carry it daily. My go-to for carrying where I'm "not allowed" to carry and need concealment to be top priority.

Off body carry is a bad idea IMO especially if you're in a job like a visiting nurse where you bring your bag into different places all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

this is a good answer too...let her pick. OP, do you order her food for her at a restaurant too? [wink]

Yeah I hate the idea of off body carry, but I think its the only way to introduce her to the idea...And I agree, having her try some out first would be great, but we're talking about a very frugal woman, and... I'd like to keep her in the dark about how much guns really cost[smile]

SW 642 good lil 38 revolver internal hammer that will not get caught up on clothing or a pocket book if ever need with a hard trigger pull perfect for a young lady easy conceal

Im with you here. I'm about to pull the trigger on a Sako 85 classic and a scope and my wife thinks it will cost $400 all in [rofl]

HAHAHA! Did you know that you can pick up a Beretta 92fs INOX for just a couple hundred bucks? Or how about the even "trade" I made a few weeks ago when I "traded" my SP2022 for a (almost impossible to find in MA) CZ P-07...Wait a sec? My SP2022 is still in my safe? how'd that happen?[grin]

what do you mean "get her"? is it a surprise? a gift? why can't she make the decision? what's next, a bunch of guys telling her what to wear?

gak44 recommended a LGS. i agree, kinda. most of them don't have a large selection and you may get influenced by the clerk/owner trying to offload his opinion or some junk he can't sell to anyone else.

i say, go to kittery trading post, shooter's outpost, or basspro shop, etc. they have a large selection. she can try out as many as she likes. if price is a concern, you can always return home, search online for best price and have it shipped to local FFL. [smile]

HAHAHA! Did you know that you can pick up a Beretta 92fs INOX for just a couple hundred bucks? Or how about the even "trade" I made a few weeks ago when I "traded" my SP2022 for a (almost impossible to find in MA) CZ P-07...Wait a sec? My SP2022 is still in my safe? how'd that happen?[grin]

All my guns cost no more than "a couple hundred bucks". HAHA yeah I've "sold" a few guns to "fund" a new purchase and i'll be damned if that gun I sold didn't find its was right back into my safe. Poor thing must've followed me back home.

SW 642 good lil 38 revolver internal hammer that will not get caught up on clothing or a pocket book if ever need with a hard trigger pull perfect for a young lady easy conceal
I second the 642 but spring for the perfoamce center version the trigger is smooth! Put a hogue grip on it and have her carry 110 grain hornady. A j frame with plus p or even standard 158 grain 38 special can actually be a snappy recoil. Id have her try one out first though.

All my guns cost no more than "a couple hundred bucks". HAHA yeah I've "sold" a few guns to "fund" a new purchase and i'll be damned if that gun I sold didn't find its was right back into my safe. Poor thing must've followed me back home.

hahhahhahah[rofl]

- - - Updated - - -

what do you mean "get her"? is it a surprise? a gift? why can't she make the decision? what's next, a bunch of guys telling her what to wear?

gak44 recommended a LGS. i agree, kinda. most of them don't have a large selection and you may get influenced by the clerk/owner trying to offload his opinion or some junk he can't sell to anyone else.

i say, go to kittery trading post, shooter's outpost, or basspro shop, etc. they have a large selection. she can try out as many as she likes. if price is a concern, you can always return home, search online for best price and have it shipped to local FFL. [smile]

Ahh, to live in NH, must be awesome...And yes it would be a bit of a surprise...Also my NH comment was meant to be only slightly sarcastic, I really think it must be awesome to live in NH[wink]

Last edited:
Off body carry is a bad idea IMO especially if you're in a job like a visiting nurse where you bring your bag into different places

I agree 100%, I've been an RN for over 10 years, ER, ICU mainly, Doing Home Care full time now, but have been doing that on a part time basis since 2007. There are way too many occasions where you are separated from your bag. I too get sent into crap neighborhoods, but at the moment I do not carry while working because I often get sent into Rhode Island for work unexpectedly, and do not have my RI permit, but in the process of getting it for that reason, to carry all the time. I would have her look into ankle carry, obviously not the best option if needed to use it, but it will allow her to have full control of it at all times.

You also have to take into account that she probably isn't allowed to carry a weapon per her company rules. If it prints on her body she could get into a lot of trouble.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

S&W M&P Shield in 9mm w/ Apex Kit installed by FS for $99 and Add Talon Grips!

Bellow is a great video review of the S&W M&P Shield from a female perspective.

<span style="color:#006400;"><font size="4"><span style="font-family:comic sans ms;"><strong>

Last edited by a moderator:
You also have to take into account that she probably isn't allowed to carry a weapon per her company rules. If it prints on her body she could get into a lot of trouble.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Yes, that is another thought. I don't know what her company's policy is.

Thought about this for my wife too. She is small in frame and not comfortable with guns so nothing yet. I tried a Shield Bodyguard but the trigger is not great; an upgrade would be about $100.
I think the best thing would be for you to find an indoor range in your area where you can rent guns and try them there for a modest charge. American Firearms School in N. Attleboro is great for that, not sure where you live but that's a good option. Good luck.

I was told years ago on here not to buy my wife a gun, to let her pick her own stuff out. I didn't listen and bought her something in 9mm.

Lost my shirt trading it in.

She went and picked out a SR22 years ago and she couldn't be happier.

I almost ruined her enjoyment of getting into the sport becuase I didn't listen.... Something to think aboit

Back
Top Bottom