• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP wait time...

WBspectrum, my garand came with raw walnut, too. It was incredibly dry. I searched around for a good finish to put on it to darken it up and give it some moisture. Lots of people recommended Toms mix, so I bought some and tried it. I'm extremely happy with the finish. Put it on my Finn m39 as well. I still have enough left for 2-3 coats. It's yours if you want it and can pick it up. I'll try to find a pic of my stock and post it up.
022.jpg

Last edited:
WBspectrum, my garand came with raw walnut, too. It was incredibly dry. I searched around for a good finish to put on it to darken it up and give it some moisture. Lots of people recommended Toms mix, so I bought some and tried it. I'm extremely happy with the finish. Put it on my Finn m39 as well. I still have enough left for 2-3 coats. It's yours if you want it and can pick it up. I'll try to find a pic of my stock and post it up.

022.jpg

Thanks for the offer, I'd be more than happy to pay you for it. Sounds exactly like my stock, beautiful but dry and "dead" looking

Last edited:
Timeline for mine...

Order in mail - 13AUG12
Order Acknowledged - 20AUG12
Shipped - 06SEP12
Should be here in 3... 2... 1... <looking out window>... should be here sometime this morning.

Overall time about 4 weeks, if you count the one week dropping order in the mail to ack time.

FedEx guy jumping out of the truck right now....

Last edited:
DMC
You'll love it, I've been having fun buying accessories got a canvas sling and a WWII bayonet last night. Used the 3 in 1 wax mentioned above, very nice results. If you'd like to use some of mine when yours comes in let me know (we are not too far away from each other.

Dan

I got mine this week. I was to sick to do a detailed inspection but this is what I found.

Mailed: 8/20
Order Rcd: 8/21
Fix Page 2A: 8/23
DBU: ****
E Store: 8/28
CCC: 8/28
Shipped: marked shipped on 9/1
Rcd: 9/5
Serial number 5,970,16X

Super Nice Service Grade. It looks brand new with:
New dark CMP Wood,
Barrel Marked NM with Star and Punch Mark - 8 54 and NM between the gas cylinder rings.
NM Op Rod 7790722 SA
Bolt 6628287-SA
Elevation Knob WCE
Windage Knob DRC IHC
Trigger Group is mixed with WRA and SA-12 Trigger Guard
Muzzle = 1, TE = 2

Last edited:
Garands do qualify for c&r.......purchased through cmp you do not need a c&r!!!!
Unless you have great friends and family or get supper lucky you will not find a better deal for a garand anywhere else than the cmp......I'm hanging on 3 possible purchases if they don't pan out I'm ordering another cmp service grade. I got 2 all ready and both are in vg condition. 1 is a very good shooter. The other seems to be a stereotypical m1 moody, spiral string shot pattern. Drifting zero.....I got the other one to settle down after some simple adjustments and tweeks. Given a little time I will do the same with the 2 nd....fun shooting

I've only had mine a couple of weeks and I'm thinking of ordering another within a couple on months. Kinda like ARs. They want to multiple

Sent in my order thursday for my new itch "guns manufactured in massachusetts" No better start than a H&R M1 Garand.....my god how can this state suck with all the great guns it has produced!

Sent in my order thursday for my new itch "guns manufactured in massachusetts" No better start than a H&R M1 Garand.....my god how can this state suck with all the great guns it has produced!
I had no idea that H&R Arms was a Massachusetts company until now. That makes me feel even better about my sweet HRA SG that I just got from the CMP.

There are so many its crazy
: Auto-Ordnance [Worcester] S&W [Springfield] Savage [Westfield] Kahr (Saeilo) [Worcester] NEF [Gardner] ZM weapons [Bernardston] Troy Industries [Lee] Yankee Hill Machine Co, Inc. [Florence] Samson Manufacturing Corp. [Whately]
This is a short list.
Massachusetts arms Co gave birth to savage and S&W....

H&R also made m16 and m14 plus a hk33. Not sure if they manufactured these or stamped their name on inports.

There are so many its crazy
: Auto-Ordnance [Worcester] S&W [Springfield] Savage [Westfield] Kahr (Saeilo) [Worcester] NEF [Gardner] ZM weapons [Bernardston] Troy Industries [Lee] Yankee Hill Machine Co, Inc. [Florence] Samson Manufacturing Corp. [Whately]
This is a short list.
Massachusetts arms Co gave birth to savage and S&W....

H&R also made m16 and m14 plus a hk33. Not sure if they manufactured these or stamped their name on inports.
I read this off their website (http://www.hr1871.com/about/default.asp)
In wartime, H&R answered the call to duty. During World War I, H&R was an important producer of shoulder-type flare guns. In World War II, the company was a major producer of military firearms, earning many commendations from the U.S. armed forces. It produced the U.S. M1 Garand rifle, was the largest single manufacturer of the M-14, and one of the major producers of the M-16.
If only the CMP sold M14s! I'd love one.

Cmp wait time. Mailed garand order in on Oct 9th received shipping notice today.
will have a SG HRA M1 no later than 1030am tomorrow.!

I hope you get a nice one mac. If it isn't there before 10:00 am don't be surprised. Only one of my orders ever arrived before 10:00 am and the driver never knocked. just left a tag on my door. I just happened to open it to throw out some trash and saw it. I called and made him come back.

I just ordered some of the 223 linked SAW ammo and some more HXP. Lets see how long that takes. Usually the special whatever they are selling ships pretty quick.

Hmmm every rifle I have received came on time. I jumped on the 22lr deal ordered Oct 9 received Nov 14th. Just to give you a idea....I put a sticky in for usgi wood. I'm not a fan of boyds stocks and their fit.
sadly with the new stocks, cmp does nothing to assure proper fit other than reciever fits and trigger locks in it goes out the door.

I've heard good things about the rifles people are receiving recently. Maybe you'll get something special. Let us know how it goes! Christmas in November!

Hmmm every rifle I have received came on time. I jumped on the 22lr deal ordered Oct 9 received Nov 14th. Just to give you a idea....I put a sticky in for usgi wood. I'm not a fan of boyds stocks and their fit.
sadly with the new stocks, cmp does nothing to assure proper fit other than reciever fits and trigger locks in it goes out the door.

I got two of the new stocks and they fit very well. I don't really want them, but I also don't have any extra USGI stocks to replace them with. I did put linseed oil in them and they look pretty good, I just like the feel of the dirty original stocks better.

I've never got a bad rifle from them. I've gotten everything from M1's, carbines, 1903 and 03A3's to the various .22's. I keep thinking I should get another Kimber from them, but there is also the IHC M1's coming in the near future. What to do, what to do.

I will have a full report and pics by the weekend.
short list mailed off order 10/9 received today @ 932am
Service grade HRA 1955 serial# range HRA barrel dated 1955
And so far minus the new stock and trigger group is all HRA. The finish is worn enough to make me think this was never refinished. I don't know much about HRA finishish in the mid 50s. I'm quessing its original finish and barrel....please judge future pics for those that know.
The stock.....well lets just say I'm not a big fan of the new stocks offered by cmp manufacture by boyds made to dupage specs.
This one has a shit finish almost like the sprayed it with walmart brand clear coat. Looks and feels plastic filmish? No worries planned to strip it any ways.
top hand guard is so tight I feel it will crack when the barrel warms up. The lock up is only marginally tighter than my 2 SA SG with usgi wood....ok new wood rant over.

At least with the new wood I can play around with fit and finish with out messing with a correct stock.

Muzzle wear is a 2 and throat is a 4 by cmp hang tag.
my SA with 3+ and 4+ shoot very well once proper relief of wood and front sight splines preening I shot a 401 @ a 200 yard shoot a while back.
I see no reason why this one wont shoot well once tweeked a bit.
all of them could use at least a crown touch up if not a recrown at some point.

problems editing? Any how my camera and skills are not well. Here is the HRA above. Over all the rifle is very nice. it doesnt appear to be reparked if it was the rifle was in good shape when done. Not a touch of pitting anywhere. There are some rough tooling marks on the out side of the reciever which I tried to get in the pic. The New wood is typical boyds....I will be stripping it and refinishing with pure tung oil. It also needs some fitting. It failed the op rod tilt test badly so its rubbing some where?

Back
Top Bottom