CMP M1 Garand and Mondern Military is next 11/05/2017 @ OCSA pembroke ma

I probably worded that badly. What I meant was that mac said "come up 10 clicks and take some sighters" and I assume he meant during the match itself. Because if he meant before or something (obviously not for score) I would not have the 55 30-06 needed for the match itself.

This is why cmp runs "backwards" in the course of fire.
CMP you start with prone position as to allow new shooters and those using CMP club guns to "zero"
You need a starting point 10-12 clicks up should get you on paper ....somewhere on the 40 plus inch target (5 ring is 37") I usually take 2 shots plot them on my score sheet(I will bring a few score/log sheets) and figure out any adjustment. You get 5 sighters...
NRA National Match service or match Rifle you get 2 sighters per yardage/position. Some allow unlimited sighters (with in allowed time limit) then you just declare shooting for score when ready.

Well that was a blast. It was nice to meet you all.

Definitely have a ton of room for improvement but it was really great to get out there. [mg]

Well that was a blast. It was nice to meet you all.

Definitely have a ton of room for improvement but it was really great to get out there. [mg]

Scores will come once comfortable with the flow....settle on your sight picture and practice...

CMP M1 and Mondern Miltary Match Nov 6th last one of the Year

Come on down
M1 garand Match and Mondern Military

See links in post #1 for details

All you AR guys bring them down...

I think for the last match Im going to have some fun

Bring My first M1 garand 1942 SA service grade and shoot the loose HXP I have. was trying to sell it but no interest.

Then I will shoot my plain jain A2 with wolf steel case crap or PPU M193?

I'll be shooting my trusty Garand... Hopefully I remember I'm shooting a semi auto and don't reach for the ghost bolt after the 1st shot in rapids :)

And my new White Oak A2 upper... Gotta get it zero'd in. First match with this one.

I'll be shooting my trusty Garand... Hopefully I remember I'm shooting a semi auto and don't reach for the ghost bolt after the 1st shot in rapids :)

And my new White Oak A2 upper... Gotta get it zero'd in. First match with this one.

Watch out Franco will DQ you on that upper [smile]

Yep, just like we shouldn't have been shooting Springfields in the Vintage Match :)

LOL, Springfields are the first rifle mentioned on the Vintage flyer: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_ed7I-0dDxIbW1DejlvOHpVdDQ/view

OK per the Old Colony flyer, but for turning in paperwork to CMP as a vintage military match, I guess not.

Similar for Modern Military: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_ed7I-0dDxITTV2N3dneTVycUE/view

Match grade OK for the Old Colony rules but maybe not as far as turning in records to CMP? No complaints- more people having fun is a good thing.

Next time I'll shoot per the CMP rules- M39 for Vintage and standard AR config for Modern Military. Regardless, glad I shot the Springfield but wish we could have had our sighters + first 20 for score marked. Through the scope I could maybe see one in ten shots inside the bull, so I was damn near shooting blind unless I strayed into the white. Wish I would not have messed up sitting rapid with the Garand- score would have been decent. Had a blast regardless and didn't tear anything nor knock any hardware loose in my shoulder. It was pretty sore by the time I arrived home but feels quite good today.

Not sure I can make the next one- I think it's the same weekend as the Pumpkin Blast. Already have plans to take the family to teach those pumpkins a lesson.

LOL, Springfields are the first rifle mentioned on the Vintage flyer: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_ed7I-0dDxIbW1DejlvOHpVdDQ/view

OK per the Old Colony flyer, but for turning in paperwork to CMP as a vintage military match, I guess not.

Similar for Modern Military: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_ed7I-0dDxITTV2N3dneTVycUE/view

Match grade OK for the Old Colony rules but maybe not as far as turning in records to CMP? No complaints- more people having fun is a good thing.

Next time I'll shoot per the CMP rules- M39 for Vintage and standard AR config for Modern Military. Regardless, glad I shot the Springfield but wish we could have had our sighters + first 20 for score marked. Through the scope I could maybe see one in ten shots inside the bull, so I was damn near shooting blind unless I strayed into the white. Wish I would not have messed up sitting rapid with the Garand- score would have been decent. Had a blast regardless and didn't tear anything nor knock any hardware loose in my shoulder. It was pretty sore by the time I arrived home but feels quite good today.

Not sure I can make the next one- I think it's the same weekend as the Pumpkin Blast. Already have plans to take the family to teach those pumpkins a lesson.

Yeah I mentioned to Franco about the flyer. Seems for the modern service rifle flyer they didn't change some aspects of it. Before it was just service rifle... flyer used to say NRA service rifle. I was "DQ'd at the first "modern military"
Modern Military for the most part is pretty basic NOW
No free float or special bedding
Keep it under 8.5lbs-with out scope
M4 stocks are allowed and can be adjusted...no adjustable comb or butt plates
No muzzle brakes
Iron sights must be of military issue , so no hooded sights and must be in carry handle design.

I'm not so sure of the Springfield vintage thing?

Looking at the rulebook it appears Franco is correct.?

I will poke around....I will look at the camp Perry results also.

Last edited:
I would love to build a retro A1 but that might be tough and/or too expensive here in MA

You simply need a lower with a 4.5+ lb trigger, same as service rifle. Build an upper with a 20" standard weight barrel, standard front sight assembly, and standard delta ring mounted hand guards. You can use a removable carry handle / rear sight so you don't have to search for an A1 upper. Can be very cheap depending upon what barrel is used.

You simply need a lower with a 4.5+ lb trigger, same as service rifle. Build an upper with a 20" standard weight barrel, standard front sight assembly, and standard delta ring mounted hand guards. You can use a removable carry handle / rear sight so you don't have to search for an A1 upper. Can be very cheap depending upon what barrel is used.

Mondern Military rules are still a cluster ****!

the fact that they put " not accurized" in the rule book is to broad....
I went out of my way to get a "military contour barrel" in the beginning rules!!! then they changed it.

Just curious when/if the results will be posted on the cmp website? I've checked a few times and it's always been blank, even if I look at other random matches across the country. Do you need to register and login first? I thought about registering but it says it's "a lot easier if you have your CMP Competitor Number" which I don't have. Does this get generated at some point?

If you can't tell, I think I've got the bug now...

Doesn't help if you're logged in either.

Unsure why the local match scores aren't on the CMP page. I do believe they are sent in.

You can get an ID by registering at ct.cmp.org; you may have to follow up with them via email for your ID number. Not really required to shoot local matches, but mandatory if you shoot in a CMP games (Eastern, Western, New England Games, etc) or go to Camp Perry.

Doesn't help if you're logged in either.

Unsure why the local match scores aren't on the CMP page. I do believe they are sent in.

You can get an ID by registering at ct.cmp.org; you may have to follow up with them via email for your ID number. Not really required to shoot local matches, but mandatory if you shoot in a CMP games (Eastern, Western, New England Games, etc) or go to Camp Perry.

I have been meaning to bring this up with Richard and Franco.
Honestly I have given up on the CMP comp tracker. I can only find results from 2014 I don't know if the scores where sent in or cmp didn't enter them or what have you.

Also even after 8 years of being registered on cmp comp my password only works once. Then I have to do "forgot password"???

Honestly there is no reason why the cmp should not have a web based entry system for scores. Results should be posted with in a few days.
I can go on IDPA web site and check my friends results just a few days after a match.

Last edited:
How are scores entered?

Do clubs send them to CMP for or should they (match directors) be inputting the scores themselves?

How are scores entered?

Do clubs send them to CMP for or should they (match directors) be inputting the scores themselves?

I have no idea..... I just poked around on comp tracker and it's all ****ed up.
You can look up different ways and get different info.

I searched by club and there are no 2014-2015 dates at all?
I don't think cmp does a good job at keeping or maintaining the comp tracker..
You will have to email Richard and ask. I see no results posted for any 2016 dates?
Looking back I find no results post 2013 ?

The simple fact that you can not look at your results by your cmp comp number is just silly also.

Heres what I found on myself.... only 4 of the 20 plus matches in the past 4 years show up?

I gave up long ago on scores.... I shot NRA matches from 2011-2013 and was told my scores would be sent in. They never where? So until I can enter my own scores I quess your at the mercy of the Match director, mailman and where ever the results go.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I was just curious in my sitting and offhand scores as I forget how they were compared to the prone rounds specifically.I had figured that maybe they uploaded them in batches or something.

Fair enough. I was just curious in my sitting and offhand scores as I forget how they were compared to the prone rounds specifically.I had figured that maybe they uploaded them in batches or something.

I think they send them in at th end of the season?
Next match take a picture of your score card.
Since I only have 4 results showing up I'm guessing something did not happen and scores where not recorded.

Last edited:
Offhand is easy.. Take your lowest score from the other courses of fire and minus 10 :)
You did make up ground there, didn't you?

I expected it to be a calamity but I vaguely remember some of the scoring discs. A testament to the effectiveness of the shooting jacket, I guess. My offhand in non-competition settings has been getting a little better lately since I've been practicing, although only at 100 yards and mostly intermediate cartridges.

You did make up ground there, didn't you?.

Yes, but I was only half joking about that. Managed to pull off an 89, which is one of my better offhands. It's the hardest position.

If we look at the offhand scores for 3 highest scores (not offhand, but total score) Garands at the Vermont Games, we see 94, 90 and 88. Most of the better offhand scores are leveling out in the high 80's low 90s with the highest being a 94.

For the springfield match there's a similar pattern - 89, 93, 95. Again the better offhand scores are leveling out at high 80s low 90s with the highest being a 95.

thinking of running the SKS in the modern military match? Really want to torture myself with bad sights!

Also next year I plan on running the Arisaka and mauser in the Vintage matches. with any luck some cool cast loads all worked up by then.

NOV 6th Last of the year CMP M1 and Mondern Military match

The time has change it's now 9am
Get there early and have breakfast...

Nov 6th. M1 clinic/match and Mondern Military see flyer links in post #1

I will be shooting my 1st M1 1942 service grade with a 1965 barrel.... sorting the last of 200 loose rounds of HXP today....
will be shooting as close to as issued as possible.....should be fun...

Back
Top Bottom