CMP M1 Garand and Mondern Military is next 11/05/2017 @ OCSA pembroke ma

Can't believe there are so many lefties. Expected to be the oddball. I tried shooting right handed a few range trips with my 10/22 to see if would work but I gave up pretty quickly. Maybe if I shot that way from the start.

For bolt actions like a Mosin Nagant I just reach over the top. Straight bolt handle is convenient. I actually prefer AK to AR since the charging handle and safety are easily seen on the right side of the rifle and for me, easier to manipulate. Since they're light, I just leave my left hand on the pistol grip.

I did get to handle one of Stag's lefty ARs once and it was nice.

According to Google, M1 is heavier than Mosin Nagant? Good thing that the offhand segment is slow fire, to rest those arms.

Not all ways needed but are you left eye dominate....I grew up shooting RH because that's "how" your "supposed" to do it.
Only time I did not hear my Dad say "your on the wrong side of that rifle" is when we went bird hunting. I naturally have always picked up rifles LH. So downing birds successfully left handed was ok.
Now I shot Jr. Rifle for a few years and they went buy eye dominance.

Same with golf I played rightly because the club's available to me where right handed. Not until I could buy my own clubs did I go lefty...funny thing is I can hit longer right handed but I will take the added control I got switch to lefty.

It's all fun and good. I can still shoot eighty pretty well although after shooting a lot more in the past 10years always shooting lefty Right handed is starting to feel strange.

I am right-eye dominant, that's why I tried to switch. Didn't know that when I started out. I write/throw etc. all left handed so started shooting lefty as well. Not a big deal with pistols, I use isosceles and hold a little to the right and use right eye and it works fine.

Other than a few experiments, I've stuck with lefty on rifles. Maybe I should try again sometime.

I golf righty (driving range, really, I don't golf) and used to bat switch in baseball, but am I stronger from the right. Righthanded in hockey.

I am right-eye dominant, that's why I tried to switch. Didn't know that when I started out. I write/throw etc. all left handed so started shooting lefty as well. Not a big deal with pistols, I use isosceles and hold a little to the right and use right eye and it works fine.

Other than a few experiments, I've stuck with lefty on rifles. Maybe I should try again sometime.

I golf righty (driving range, really, I don't golf) and used to bat switch in baseball, but am I stronger from the right. Righthanded in hockey.

only thing I cant do Right handed well is bird shooting and clays... eye dominace plays games with you shooting both eyes open.

I shot the CMP match at Braintree today with my 03A3.

We shoot the nra course of fire at 100 yards on reduced 2/3/600 targets. Offhand, rapid sitting, prone and then slow prone. It's harder to shoot than the 200 yard GSM match.

Scored a 436 which is average for me (83 offhand, 85 sitting (4 10's, 5 9's and a freaking on paper miss?), 91 rapid prone and 176 slow prone. My top score ever there with this rifle is 449; compared to my top score at Pembroke with the same rife, 466.

The A3's going back in the safe and the Garand and 1903 are coming out for tomorrow.

Last edited:

We shoot the nra course of fire at 100 yards on reduced 2/3/600 targets. Offhand, rapid sitting, prone and then slow prone. It's harder to shoot than the 200 yard GSM match.

Scored a 436 which is average for me (83 offhand, 85 sitting (5 10's, 4 9's and a freaking on paper miss?), 91 rapid prone and 176 slow prone. My top score ever there with this rifle is 449; compared to my top score at Pembroke with the same rife, 466.

The A3's going back in the safe and the Garand and 1903 are coming out for tomorrow.

You should be all warmed up for tomorrow! I hit the range four times in the previous 13 days but none with an M1 obviously.

Is there usually one person that wins most/all of the competitions? Just curious if I should keep my eyes out for a deadeye and try to glean some tips...might be too much going on for that. I'm probably more excited than I should be.

You should be all warmed up for tomorrow! I hit the range four times in the previous 13 days but none with an M1 obviously.

Is there usually one person that wins most/all of the competitions? Just curious if I should keep my eyes out for a deadeye and try to glean some tips...might be too much going on for that. I'm probably more excited than I should be.

Franco..... If he shoots or just shows up.

I will be happy to provide some instruction as well

By the way, do you have a good M1907 style leather sling?

Franco..... If he shoots or just shows up.

I will be happy to provide some instruction as well

By the way, do you have a good M1907 style leather sling?

I was going to use a club M1 and ammo since I am waiting on CMP service grades to come back so I can order. Do the loaners have slings?

Scored a 436 which is average for me (83 offhand, 85 sitting (4 10's, 5 9's and a freaking on paper miss?), 91 rapid prone and 176 slow prone. My top score ever there with this rifle is 449; compared to my top score at Pembroke with the same rife, 466.

I would imagine that would have been a tough course of fire. Personally, I think the reduced SR1's at 100 yards are a little bit more difficult than a SR at 200 yards.

I need togo clear a hornets' nest from the boiler burner intake. Crossing my fingers I don't get nailed and make tomorrow 'interesting'. I sprayed a couple hours ago but could not see if I hit the nest. Other than that minor detail, I ready to show tomorrow. Ready to shoot? We'll see...

I need togo clear a hornets' nest from the boiler burner intake. Crossing my fingers I don't get nailed and make tomorrow 'interesting'. I sprayed a couple hours ago but could not see if I hit the nest. Other than that minor detail, I ready to show tomorrow. Ready to shoot? We'll see...

Good luck. I'm planning to go to bed early so that my eyes are hopefully somewhat fresh. Leaving 30 minutes earlier than google says I need in case I invariably get lost or there's traffic. My phone's GPS is garbage. Going to try handwritten directions.

I would imagine that would have been a tough course of fire. Personally, I think the reduced SR1's at 100 yards are a little bit more difficult than a SR at 200 yards.

Yes the NRA/highpower targets are harder as they are reduced not only in dimensions but they shrink it up a little more to account for the lack of wind. The SR target is the standard 200 yard "short range" target

There is a decent difference in the prone target shooting CMP with the SR target or NRA service rifle/match rifle course of fire. Here are the measurements for the 100 and 200 yard targets.

100 Yard Targets

SR-1 - Reduction of the SR Target for use at 100 yards to simulate the 200 yard stages of the National Match Course.
X ring 1.35
10 ring 3.35
9 ring 6.35
8 ring 9.35
7 ring 12.35
6 ring 15.35
5 ring 18.35

SR-21 - Reduction of the SR-3 Target for use at 100 yards to simulate the 300 yard stage of the National Match Course.
X ring 0.79
10 ring 2.12
9 ring 4.12
8 ring 6.12
7 ring 8.12
6 ring 10.12
5 ring 12.12

MR-31 - Reduction of the MR-1 Target for use at 100 yards to simulate the 600 yard stage of the National Match Course.
X ring 0.75
10 ring 1.75
9 ring 2.75
8 ring 3.75
7 ring 5.75
6 ring 7.75
5 ring 9.75

200 Yard Targets

SR Military "Target, Rifle, Competition, Short Range"
X ring 3.00
10 ring 7.00
9 ring 13.00 X-9 ring = black bull
8 ring 19.00
7 ring 25.00
6 ring 31.00
5 ring 37.00

SR-42 - Reduction of the SR-3 Target for use at 200 yards to simulate the 300 yard stage of the National Match Course.
X ring 1.90
10 ring 4.56
9 ring 8.56
8 ring 12.56 X-8 ring = black bull
7 ring 16.56
6 ring 20.56
5 ring 25.56

MR-52 - Reduction of the MR-1 Target for use at 200 yards to simulate the 600 yard stage of the National Match Course.
X ring 1.79
10 ring 3.79
9 ring 5.79
8 ring 7.79
7 ring 11.79 X-7= blackbull
6 ring 15.79
5 ring 19.79

SR-5 - Same scoring ring dimensions as SR Military with scoring rings through 7 only: paper size 28x28 inches. For use at 200 yards on ranges with small target frames.

so if you can keep all your shots in the black of a MR52 you could hit a mimimum score of 170 vs a 190 with the SR target.... so yes a 20 point swing is possible.

Last edited:

worst thing about the national match course of fire targets no matter how small they make that 600 yard target OFFHAND will still ruin a good score more often. and that's the same size in both!

Good luck. I'm planning to go to bed early so that my eyes are hopefully somewhat fresh. Leaving 30 minutes earlier than google says I need in case I invariably get lost or there's traffic. My phone's GPS is garbage. Going to try handwritten directions.

where are you coming from ?

if all goes well I will be in bed by 12 and as usual one of my kids will feel the need to wake me up at 430 am I wont be able to go back to sleep, baby sitter will be running late , my eye will cloud up again....I will be ready to shoot!

Other than some test loads and a little pellet gun shooting no practice for me.
Just need to trust my sight picture and yank the trigger.

Only shooting I did to day was 10 test shots from a old crosman 1400 I just picked up from a old timer...asked him how it shoots.
"Minute of tree rat out to 25 yards"....so tested that today.
Love buying guns from old shooters.

25 yards open sights elbows on the picanic table. 5 shots center mass one flyer high right

Now on to the head shot....the high flyer I watched cork screw so probably a bad skirt....i was not checking...

Last edited:
Mac, good info on those targets

Our targets are

SR-1 is Offhand and Rapid Sitting
MR-31 is Slow Prone
SR-21 Rapid Prone

Think of it like this

CMP "games" are shot at 200 yards max. Except for vintage sniper which I believe is 500 yards.
Carbine Match is 100 yards.

Old marine put it to me like this
" all you need is a rifle and ammo capable of sub 6moa and you need to shoot sub 6 moa that will put you at 90% or better if you keep them in the black....anything less is the shooter.

So 450/500 should be easy right[crying]

Last edited:
where are you coming from ?

if all goes well I will be in bed by 12 and as usual one of my kids will feel the need to wake me up at 430 am I wont be able to go back to sleep, baby sitter will be running late , my eye will cloud up again....I will be ready to shoot!

Google maps says 93-S to 3-S, exit 12. With no traffic, 1 hr 5 minutes which isn't too bad. Was going to try to hit the road at 6:30ish. Grabbed some cliff bars, chewy bars and powerade at the store to throw in the range bag.

Let's see what shakes down in Offhand :)

Off hand I'm excited getting into the 80s ....I often dump nice little groups in the 7/8 ring 6 o'clock in rapids....oh the fun.
I'm still trying to break into the 470 area with the M1. 467/500 9x is my best with M1

I was going to use a club M1 and ammo since I am waiting on CMP service grades to come back so I can order. Do the loaners have slings?

The Pembroke club guns are very nice all 10 ring capable. All have Turner slings.
Few things to remember
Make sure trigger group is locked. They store them unlatched but not unlocked.
Check your sights , usually rifles are stored with sights all the way down and rear sight centered.
Come up 10 clicks and take some sighters.

Trust your natural sight picture. The eye/brain like to automatically center stuff ...so just look through rear sight trust the sight picture focus on the front sight and let off a round.

One of the best tips I ever got was don't spend a lot of time gazing through the peep and front sight... if you don't pick up the sight picture and focus in a few seconds reset

Last edited:
The Pembroke club guns are very nice all 10 ring capable. All have Turner slings.
Few things to remember
Make sure trigger group is locked. They store them unlatched but not unlocked.
Check your sights , usually rifles are stored with sights all the way down and rear sight centered.
Come up 10 clicks and take some sighters.

Trust your natural sight picture. The eye/brain like to automatically center stuff ...so just look through rear sight trust the sight picture focus on the front sight and let off a round.

One of the best tips I ever got was don't spend a lot of time gazing through the peep and front sight... if you don't pick up the sight picture and focus in a few seconds reset

I'm going to have to figure the sights out during the 25 prone, right? I was going to use club ammo and sighters would cut into the 55 total. Or should I plan on getting an extra 55?

I'm going to have to figure the sights out during the 25 prone, right? I was going to use club ammo and sighters would cut into the 55 total. Or should I plan on getting an extra 55?

5 sighters and 20 for score on slow prone. You'll only need 55. You can't shoot anymore for score (unless you shoot 2 separate matches)

I can't imagine why they would go through the trouble of resetting the sights after each match, you'd think they would just leave them. Of course, one man's zero is not another man's zero, so expect to make small adjustments.

You coaching was very helpful. Thanks again.

5 sighters and 20 for score on slow prone. You'll only need 55. You can't shoot anymore for score (unless you shoot 2 separate matches)

I can't imagine why they would go through the trouble of resetting the sights after each match, you'd think they would just leave them. Of course, one man's zero is not another man's zero, so expect to make small adjustments.

I probably worded that badly. What I meant was that mac said "come up 10 clicks and take some sighters" and I assume he meant during the match itself. Because if he meant before or something (obviously not for score) I would not have the 55 30-06 needed for the match itself.

I probably worded that badly. What I meant was that mac said "come up 10 clicks and take some sighters" and I assume he meant during the match itself. Because if he meant before or something (obviously not for score) I would not have the 55 30-06 needed for the match itself.

He's referring to the sighters...it maybe easier to just explain this stuff in person tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom