• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

CMP M1 Garand and Mondern Military is next 11/05/2017 @ OCSA pembroke ma

Ha! Same here. Ive been eyeballing this thread for a while.

Just curious, for the guys that are regulars down there, or guys who shoot there from north of Boston, during the summer whats the traffic like heading home? Figured people heading home from the Cape on Sunday evening might make the trip a nightmare.

Traffic should not be to bad.... construction and accidents are more likely to be a issue...

- - - Updated - - -

Won't be there myself I am going to Oct and Nov match.

- - - Updated - - -

Roll call for tomorrow.... I will be there with my Garand. Another friend who is an excellent AR match shooter is coming as well.

Is he shooting club M1 or bringing his AR.... like to know results since I won't be there. Might go for breakfast with kids to club house and check in on you guys.

Match rifle or "modern Military" basically how they run it. Depends on how many shooters and what type of guns show up. Your friend should shoot M1 club gun first then the AR match after...

Match. Figure with the light attendance this year, shooting anything won't be an issue.

Match. Figure with the light attendance this year, shooting anything won't be an issue.

Bingo...... although they will let shooters shoot what they bring... how was last month's Springfield match. My baby sitter bailed on me.

If 4 shooters show up and 2 have national match rifles and 2 have modern military there's no trinkets handed out....usually. sometimes if there's no protest its a non issue.

It's actually a little sad that even with the lax of the rules for "Mondern Military" you would think more of the scoped ARs should show up.

Last edited:
Good match today, 5 guys. 3 Garands and 2 AR's. I shot a 444-4x. Rich was right behind me. Friend with AR shot a 491-9x.

Good match today, 5 guys. 3 Garands and 2 AR's. I shot a 444-4x. Rich was right behind me. Friend with AR shot a 491-9x.

Nice 486/9x is my high score with NM AR off hand destroys me.
444 4x is a cool score. I'm in that 440-460 range
Young eyes help.

M1 and Vintage 10/16 Pembroke MA.

Only 2 matches left .....let's see what those newly acquired M1s and Vintage rifles can do.

See post 1. For links to flyers.

Just looked at the rules: Vintage includes '03 Springfields so that's what I'll bring in addition to the Garand.

I have some 'homework' to do. Need to make more hand loads- I think I just have one match batch of ~60 or 70 rounds. I could go lazy and $$$ and just order some Creedmoor from CMP- pricey but I get a lot of use out of the Lapua brass. I have quite a bit of HXP same headstamp, so I could just run that in the Garand and save the home brew for the Springfield. My Varget loads run so well in both that I probably will just cook up some more.

Need to take another look, but I may need to shim the Springfield sight so that the windage is tight. I have a new sling by Brown to put on the Springfield. Sucks not having a 200 yard range to sight in, but If I use a good ballistics calculator I can be right on the money for a 100 to 200 yard come-up.

I went ahead and bought a barrel to complete a Modern Military upper. It's at Pullman to have the front sight base drilled and pinned to it- they will do a nice job and I didn't want to bother with getting a jig and still cobbing it up.

It's all good- looking forward to getting my money's worth out the the doc's repair job on my shoulder.

Had the same issue with the rear sight on my Rem1903 (which I will shoot at the Vintage match in October). I doubled up 2 shims made from a soda can and it tightened right up. Let me know if you need any pointers or picture, etc.

We have 5 sighters, so as long as you're windage is good it shouldn't be tough to move up into the black. I have to get mine re-sighted in before the match as well. My home club only goes out to 100, so I'll definitely use those sighters.

Rough come up from 100 to 200 is 2 moa of sight adjustment....
I have a chart for the 1903a3 sight graduations in MOA. I don't know if anyone has done this with the 1903. If your reloads are close to the velocity of M1 or M2 and your gun was zeroed correctly you should be darn close to point of aim point of impact. Maybe slightly high at 100.

Roughly 2" high at 100 yards will get you on at 200.
If you have a decent dial indicator with a magnetic base you can measure the change in inches of the the sight leaf as you raise it.
Then you can calculate the change in MOA each line is..
Windage on the 03 I believe is touchy and 1/8 or maybe even 1/16 turn is 1 MOA. I know from some crying on the line that the 03 is touchy and have back lash that can drive you nuts.
I heard Franco say one time.
Now you got to turn it in the opposite direction then bring the ****ing thing back slowly or you will chase the backlash all day....if you go to far same thing go a little more in same direction them bring it back.

- - - Updated - - -

Just looked at the rules: Vintage includes '03 Springfields so that's what I'll bring in addition to the Garand.

I have some 'homework' to do. Need to make more hand loads- I think I just have one match batch of ~60 or 70 rounds. I could go lazy and $$$ and just order some Creedmoor from CMP- pricey but I get a lot of use out of the Lapua brass. I have quite a bit of HXP same headstamp, so I could just run that in the Garand and save the home brew for the Springfield. My Varget loads run so well in both that I probably will just cook up some more.

Need to take another look, but I may need to shim the Springfield sight so that the windage is tight. I have a new sling by Brown to put on the Springfield. Sucks not having a 200 yard range to sight in, but If I use a good ballistics calculator I can be right on the money for a 100 to 200 yard come-up.

I went ahead and bought a barrel to complete a Modern Military upper. It's at Pullman to have the front sight base drilled and pinned to it- they will do a nice job and I didn't want to bother with getting a jig and still cobbing it up.

It's all good- looking forward to getting my money's worth out the the doc's repair job on my shoulder.

You can also shoot with hood on if you have USMC hood. Rule 11 in case your challenged.

Last edited:
Not to hijack the thread/stray off topic, but I just got an email this morning from my club president about a CMP clinic this Sunday at Cape Ann Sportsman's Club in Gloucester. I'm not sure if I can make it (without pissing off the wife) as I got an IDPA match at Harvard on Saturday then from there I'm going to a bday party in Charlestown. Needless to say I won't be home until late Saturday night so if I don't see my wife the whole weekend, that may not go over well[laugh]

Anyway, I was thinking about posting a thread just to let people know (if they're interested).

Just whipped up 20 rounds for my 1903.... Hope to get to the range later today to sight it in.

I'm gonna give you Vintage guys a run for your money. In slow prone the rifle was shooting well, but making fine/small sight adjustments was difficult, especially for elevation since you have to unscrew it and slide it up and down. Windage is easier because of the knob.

After 15 shots I got the rifle shooting finally where I wanted it to go http://i.imgur.com/dmANBTF.jpg?1

With the remaining 5 rounds I did a rapid fire prone from standing. The Range Officer timed me at 32 seconds. http://i.imgur.com/6TmDbX4.jpg?1

Unfortunately after the rapid fire, the rear sight is wobbly again. I previously previously shimmed it which helped/fixed it. Will need to look into it again before the match.
http://i.imgur.com/pqiHsJX.jpg

I'm gonna give you Vintage guys a run for your money. In slow prone the rifle was shooting well, but making fine/small sight adjustments was difficult, especially for elevation since you have to unscrew it and slide it up and down. Windage is easier because of the knob.

After 15 shots I got the rifle shooting finally where I wanted it to go http://i.imgur.com/dmANBTF.jpg?1

With the remaining 5 rounds I did a rapid fire prone from standing. The Range Officer timed me at 32 seconds. http://i.imgur.com/6TmDbX4.jpg?1
Still need to test a few loads for the K31, I was only able to shoot PPU through it the first time out. now I'm on reloads. I opted to buy 3k more bullets than any Swiss ammo. although if there is GP11 around after Xmas I might stock up just to have it.

Unfortunately after the rapid fire, the rear sight is wobbly again. I previously previously shimmed it which helped/fixed it. Will need to look into it again before the match.
http://i.imgur.com/pqiHsJX.jpg

Don't worry what ever you figured out or planned for is moot come match day[smile]
I'm might shoot out of comp and run my 513T 22lr
Still testing K31 loads?
Heck I might just bring the Enfield and 303HXP , cross my eyes and yank the trigger and see what comes of it.
If I feel any motivation I might load up some cast loads for the 91/30
Again it would be a "going in blind" moment and would need to zero on the line! Not to fun if we do not have pullers

Last edited:
Don't worry what ever you figured out or planned for is moot come match day[smile]
I'm might shoot out of comp and run my 513T 22lr
Still testing K31 loads?
Heck I might just bring the Enfield and 303HXP , cross my eyes and yank the trigger and see what comes of it.

Yep..... if only we shot as good in matches as we do practice:)

Did some sighting in this afternoon as best I could given terrible light conditions. My range is dark on a good day, so today I could have used FLIR...

A single very narrow beer can shim did the trick for the '03. Might need a very small windage tweak at the match but I should be close. Garand was still on the mark from last time.

Bought a shoulder pad made from that D30 material. Quite thin yet effective. Shoulder is still sore- this is the first time since surgery that I have shot something bigger than .223 from my right.

Mountain, did you shim across the entire length of the windage screw? Posts I read on CMP forums suggested only having to shim the left side...... I'm thinking maybe I need to shim the entire length. Too bad 'cause I had the windage spot-on until it went back out of adjustment. Thanks.

Mountain, did you shim across the entire length of the windage screw? Posts I read on CMP forums suggested only having to shim the left side...... I'm thinking maybe I need to shim the entire length. Too bad 'cause I had the windage spot-on until it went back out of adjustment. Thanks.

On mine, the play was at the opposite end from the screw, where the sight rides back and forth. I made a beer can single thickness shim slightly shorter than the width of the sight and about 1/8" wide. Moved the windage almost all the way in one direction so that I could slide the shim between the sight and base. After moving the sight back to center, the shim can't be seen & the fit is tight.

No idea if this is the 'right' way to do it, but it took up the play, did not require disassembly, and won't cause any wear unless I move the sight back and forth continuously for years.

I added another soda can shim to the front, behind the screw. Everything is super tight now - almost a little too tight. The windage screw is slightly difficult to move. Hoping that translates to the sight staying put during firing.

I added another soda can shim to the front, behind the screw. Everything is super tight now - almost a little too tight. The windage screw is slightly difficult to move. Hoping that translates to the sight staying put during firing.

Same for me, on both counts. I think mine is secure, but if it does come loose Murphy dictates it will happen during rapids when I'll have no idea that it's off.

Same for me, on both counts. I think mine is secure, but if it does come loose Murphy dictates it will happen during rapids when I'll have no idea that it's off.

Shhh don't let Franco know about these "shims" you be DQ'd

Back
Top Bottom