CMP 1911's

No way those guns can get on the EOPS List, you need to read the criteria . . . that ain't happening.

Best bet is to move out of MA.

C&R FFL MAY be acceptable but I won't be surprised if CMP says "no MA sales since they aren't on the EOPS List"!
Len, I just checked the roster and I saw quite a few 1911 models on it. Why would ones from CMP not make the list?

Great news. But if I understand correctly, the pistols need to be shipped to a FFL.
What are the chances that they'll get on the AG/EOPS lists?
Or would getting a C&R FFL be suffient?

a C&R is an FFL and these are certainly C&R eligible.

I'm thinking they are C&R ok or membership in a state organization such as GOAL but the problem lies with the state and their rosters.

Since the CMP is not an FFL, do they have the option of not "complying" with the state rosters?

"Q?
IF YOU RECEIVE A “DELAY” FROM THE FBI, WHY DO YOU NOT PROCESS THE ORDER AFTER THREE DAYS, AS AUTHORIZED BY LAW?

A
First- we are not your regular gun dealer. The law that established the CMP exempted us from FFL requirements. We are not required to keep a 'book' or to ship only to another FFL. The law also specifies that we must have a completed 'successful' background check conducted for each sale. So - we cannot ship a rifle until we get a 'proceed' from the FBI. The three days after a 'delay' does not apply to us as it does to FFL licensed dealers. We can also ship direct to your home, where dealers cannot."

Len, I just checked the roster and I saw quite a few 1911 models on it. Why would ones from CMP not make the list?

The CMP isn't about to submit guns to a lab and pay for testing to satisfy the MA market. And even if they did, they're also not likely to certify these as MA AG dealer sales reg compliant, even if they could do so (they are not the manufacturer).

It will depend on the exact mfr and model #. Realize that the MFR (ONLY) must submit 5 brand new samples for testing and approval to an approved test lab. No such thing 50 yrs ago, so the likelihood that these specific models are on the EOPS List is very slim at best.

CMP may also take a super-conservative approach and just outright deny shipping any to MA for fear of screwing up and shipping the wrong brand/model.

Since the CMP is not an FFL, do they have the option of not "complying" with the state rosters?

I saw a flier from the CMP that said that in order to sell pistols, they would obtain an FFL, thus placing them under states to ship to restrictions.

Would then not need to change the Charter to allow them to sell the pistols?
My guess is the cmp will be full auction only on all Surplus by the time the pistol program goes into motion.

Looks like Obama signed the bill.

http://docs.house.gov/billsthisweek/20150928/CRPT-114hrpt270.pdf

Page 1566 refers to CMP.

The House bill contained a provision (sec. 1085) that
would authorize the transfer of surplus firearms to the Civilian
Marksmanship Program (CMP).
The Senate amendment contained no similar provision.
The Senate recedes with a clarifying amendment that
establishes a pilot program limited to .45 caliber handguns and
restricts the amount of handguns that can be transferred to the
CMP to no more than 10,000 units annually. Additionally, it
requires the CMP to provide a report to Congress after the
conclusion of the pilot program, obtain a federal firearm
license to conduct any and all handgun sales, and adhere to all
local, state, and federal laws in respect to handgun sales.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that anything manufactured before 94 was not required to be on any list for legal purchase and could be legally transferred by FFL. I "know people" who have bought pre 94 pistols and revolvers from out of state and had them transferred through several different FFL'S without issue. Why would these pistols be any different being as they were made more then 60 years ago? I may be completely wrong or misinformed but that is my understanding.......or am I missing something???

My guess it the CMP as a government chartered organization, will eagerly cooperate with any request from the MA AG's office.

I was under the impression that anything manufactured before 94 was not required to be on any list for legal purchase and could be legally transferred by FFL. I "know people"�� who have bought pre 94 pistols and revolvers from out of state and had them transferred through several different FFL'S without issue. Why would these pistols be any different being as they were made more then 60 years ago? I may be completely wrong or misinformed but that is my understanding.......or am I missing something???

Read MGL carefully. The gun had to BE IN MA on/before 10/21/98 to be exempt from EOPS list. Some FFLs don't abide by the late.

I'm holding on to mine to see if it will give me special capabilities someday that the state won't block. For $30/3 years how can you go wrong?
Under the CMRs, it also makes you a "bona fide collector" which is a requirement for a Green Card (machine gun license), thought chiefs still have broad authority to deny such licenses.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...11s-to-the-public-a-thanksgiving-day-miracle/

On November 25th, 2015, President Barack Obama has signed into law the National Defense Authorization Act of 2016, included in which is a provision for the Civilian Marksmanship to sell 1911 handguns to the United States shooting public. The bill includes Section 1087, which allows the transfer of handguns from the United States Army to the Civilian Marksmanship program, and the subsequent distribution of those handguns to members of CMP-affiliated clubs:

Yes they will!! Now to get on the list!!

No way those guns can get on the EOPS List, you need to read the criteria . . . that ain't happening.

Best bet is to move out of MA.

C&R FFL MAY be acceptable but I won't be surprised if CMP says "no MA sales since they aren't on the EOPS List"!

Remains to be seen if the new and improved 01FFL to 03FFL transfers provision in S 2265 pays off.

My guess it the CMP as a government chartered organization, will eagerly cooperate with any request from the MA AG's office.

Maybe... maybe not.

Did they ever cooperate with the AG's office 'cease and desist demands or else' threats regarding online ammo sales?

I'm sure they must have at least gotten a stern warning about it.

Remains to be seen if the new and improved 01FFL to 03FFL transfers provision in S 2265 pays off.

Maybe... maybe not.

Did they ever cooperate with the AG's office 'cease and desist demands or else' threats regarding online ammo sales?

I'm sure they must have at least gotten a stern warning about it.

That 03 FFL provision does not go into effect until 1/1/2021!!

I do know that Orest wouldn't ship the surplus M1 Carbine mags to MA and they were pre-ban. I recall participating in that discussion on the CMP forum, to no avail.

I do know that Orest wouldn't ship the surplus M1 Carbine mags to MA and they were pre-ban. I recall participating in that discussion on the CMP forum, to no avail.

Things must have changed at some point. I and a few fellow club members had no problem getting the gi M1 carbine mags?

Things must have changed at some point. I and a few fellow club members had no problem getting the gi M1 carbine mags?

Yes - it did change at one point. I bought a number of M1 Carbines from CMP - and if I recall correctly - I also got some mags from them.

The M1 carbine mags were pretty plentiful a few years back - and they're all pre-ban , so the MA ban does not apply.

I also found a number of other places that had M1 carbine mags in stock at the time - and had no problems getting stuff shipped to me in MA.

One of the better sources I found was in England.

I realize that, I mentioned it myself here... http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...3-CMP-1911-s?p=4735558&viewfull=1#post4735558.

If the info posted in the CMP forums is accurate... 2 years until they hit the shelves (say, 2019), and the C&R provision for MA C&R holders kicks in 2 years after that.

In the grand scheme of things, waiting 2 additional years after they hit the shelves isn't that big a deal, especially given some of the estimates of guns

in the current inventory. And at 10k per year, there should still be plenty to go around for sometime.

Yes - it did change at one point. I bought a number of M1 Carbines from CMP - and if I recall correctly - I also got some mags from them.

The M1 carbine mags were pretty plentiful a few years back - and they're all pre-ban , so the MA ban does not apply.

I also found a number of other places that had M1 carbine mags in stock at the time - and had no problems getting stuff shipped to me in MA.

One of the better sources I found was in England.

Same here.

I had no problems ordering mags from them shortly after I bought my carbine (I'm thinking sometime early/mid 2008).

C&R makes it legal to ship to MA but ask yourself how many companies won't ship C&Rs to MA!

I think someone mentioned this earlier on this thread, but if you have a C&R FFL and the CMP will not ship to Mass you would just have them ship it to a FFL in NH that will accept C&R transfers, correct? There are a number of them up there so I'm wondering what the pitfall would be of following that process.

I think someone mentioned this earlier on this thread, but if you have a C&R FFL and the CMP will not ship to Mass you would just have them ship it to a FFL in NH that will accept C&R transfers, correct? There are a number of them up there so I'm wondering what the pitfall would be of following that process.

Doable if CMP agrees and you just need to pay additional fees and cost of travel (not everyone lives near the border).

Back
Top Bottom