CMP 1911's

With the constant ..... "can't wait till rifles run out " rant from orest Michaels I'm doubtful the pistols will be sold like the M1 through mail order. I see them being auction items or special sales at cmp games?

Just an FYI, Orest retired over a year ago. Mark Johnson runs the show now, though I doubt he will alter the course that the CMP was on under Orest.

Regarding the 1911's, it is my understanding that they are beat all to hell, but I'll probably still try and get one with a WWII serial# to go with my other WWII guns.

Also, no more than 10,000 per year will be transferred to the CMP, every year, until the supply is exhausted. They're going to be big $$$, at least for the first few years.

Unless the CMP is special (and they are in many ways), this is a handgun so it will need to be transfered across state lines through an FFL.
In MA, the M1911 won't be on the roster, so you can't get it.

Someone tell me I am wrong... I would really like to get one if they become available.

Unless the CMP is special (and they are in many ways), this is a handgun so it will need to be transfered across state lines through an FFL.

Someone tell me I am wrong... I would really like to get one if they become available.

They are all from 1985 and older.

I'm sure there is an exemption for the CMP WRT the sales of these, or there will be. Same as how they can ship rifles directly to purchasers. I sincerely hope this goes through. I'll be buying at least one.

I'm sure there is an exemption for the CMP WRT the sales of these, or there will be. Same as how they can ship rifles directly to purchasers. I sincerely hope this goes through. I'll be buying at least one.

Nope, read the info in the thread I posted above.

Bill (awaiting veto or signing) requires CMP to obtain an 01 FFL and comply with all those requirements in order to sell the 1911s. Likely will mean not to MA, unsure if even C&R (50 yr old) 1911s will ship to MA C&Rs as they are more than a bit paranoid about MA laws. Last I recall I couldn't convince Orest (yup, he's retired, it was a few years ago) that pre-ban M1 Carbine mags were OK to ship to MA.

By the time this goes live, I'm hoping to be a resident of a free state.

Also, no more than 10,000 per year will be transferred to the CMP, every year, until the supply is exhausted. They're going to be big $$$, at least for the first few years.

They only had 3k or so IHC rifles and it got to a point when they just sat and sat in the shelves.
I don't think the demand or price will be as high as some assume

They only had 3k or so IHC rifles and it got to a point when they just sat and sat in the shelves.
I don't think the demand or price will be as high as some assume

I bet these things go in a similar fashion to the HMMWVs lately -- huge rush and big $$ at the beginning for clapped out rust buckets, with demand and prices tapering over time.

If the word is that they are that beat up and they will sell only 10k a year, I may wait for the 2nd or 3rd year to buy one to see what kind of shape they truly are in. I'd hate to plunk down $1k to get a big piece of crap.

Though, if they are in decent shape some folks are going to see their investments in current WWII 1911s shrink some.

Nope, read the info in the thread I posted above.

Bill (awaiting veto or signing) requires CMP to obtain an 01 FFL and comply with all those requirements in order to sell the 1911s. Likely will mean not to MA, unsure if even C&R (50 yr old) 1911s will ship to MA C&Rs as they are more than a bit paranoid about MA laws. Last I recall I couldn't convince Orest (yup, he's retired, it was a few years ago) that pre-ban M1 Carbine mags were OK to ship to MA.

By the time this goes live, I'm hoping to be a resident of a free state.

Something changed then before or after you spoke with him because I had no problem with ordering a box of 10-12 of them.

Something changed then before or after you spoke with him because I had no problem with ordering a box of 10-12 of them.

I think cmp is,pretty darn good at knowing what mass laws are. I'm also convinced being a charter set up and authorised by our own US government might have a really good legal counsel?

Anyway if cmp becomes a FFL which they are not at the moment I would believe they would ship to C&R holders with out issue, I could be wrong.
Honestly though if the U.S. weapons depot is only going to ship 10k units per year I can't see the program being a huge success... for me I see a shift in the cmp that makes me feel that sooner than we like CMP will be more of "catalog" sales of equipment and will eventually only sell target 22s and pellet guns. With everything else going to their auction site......like the carbine and Winchester M1s do now.
http://cmpauction.thecmp.org/catalog.asp?catid=363&n=M1-Carbine

Also Orest is still on the board of directors.

Last edited:
So just how many unused 1911's does the US mil (Army or any other branch) have sitting around that the CMP could potentially get their hands on?

So just how many unused 1911's does the US mil (Army or any other branch) have sitting around that the CMP could potentially get their hands on?

from Wiki: World War II and the years leading up to it created a great demand. During the war, about 1.9 million units were procured by the U.S. Government for all forces.

Who knows how many are left "sitting around"

from Wiki: World War II and the years leading up to it created a great demand. During the war, about 1.9 million units were procured by the U.S. Government for all forces.

Who knows how many are left "sitting around"

Well, damn. Even if it's a pittance of that amount, at 10k units a year the CMP would have them for sale for a loooong time.

Let's not forget about the thousands of NM spec units out there. Those will probably go to auction.

Hey, a man can dream. I'm going to hope for some change.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

images

[rofl]

Didn't he block the import of a metric butt-ton of M1's on loan to Greece?

No, if they were on loan then they could be returned to the Army no problem which would then turn them over to CMP to sell. But we're talking about rifles that were SOLD to other countries. Those no longer belong to us so they need to be imported commercially. Those would not be going to CMP, they'd be sold by whatever company (like Century Arms, Royal Tiger, etc) bought and imported them. And I believe it is South Korea that had them since the Greeks returned theirs already (which were sold thru CMP)

The WH announced Obama will veto the defense bill because it spends too much money on defense (no joke). So we'll see how this hashes out in the next month. As long as the 1911 portion doesn't get removed, it will become law at some point. It's not a big issue in the dispute.

So regarding the whole 10,000 a year thing -- this bill only spells out that "up to 10,000" are transferred to the CMP.

Since it's just an amendment to a yearly bill (defense budget), I think that means unless someone tacks the same amendment on next year, we're only getting "up to" 10,000 one time and that's it. Not yearly.

So regarding the whole 10,000 a year thing -- this bill only spells out that "up to 10,000" are transferred to the CMP.

Since it's just an amendment to a yearly bill (defense budget), I think that means unless someone tacks the same amendment on next year, we're only getting "up to" 10,000 one time and that's it. Not yearly.

If that's the case is it even worth it for the cmp to tool up and prepare for this?.... I wonder what the cost per handgun would be on cmps end?. I know the handgun/rifles are essentially free to the cmp.
Yet the cmp has to absorb the cost of getting the items to them and then pay to inspect/repair/grade.

So with a,retail price of 1000$ or so what to you expect the cmp to end up with per pistol?

If that's the case is it even worth it for the cmp to tool up and prepare for this?.... I wonder what the cost per handgun would be on cmps end?. I know the handgun/rifles are essentially free to the cmp.
Yet the cmp has to absorb the cost of getting the items to them and then pay to inspect/repair/grade.

So with a,retail price of 1000$ or so what to you expect the cmp to end up with per pistol?

I assume it's the same way, plus the fact that they'd be required to do it. CMP is non-profit.

I think the pistols cost us 200k$ a year anyways to store right now, which was the justification for tacking the amendment on to the NDAA bill.

Obama vetoed it anyways though.

I assume it's the same way, plus the fact that they'd be required to do it. CMP is non-profit.

I think the pistols cost us 200k$ a year anyways to store right now, which was the justification for tacking the amendment on to the NDAA bill.

Obama vetoed it anyways though.

I haven't been following this much - other than knowing I want WWII 1911s... Obama vetoed the Defense bill, which included the amendment for the 1911s? Is that correct? So we're shit out of luck?

I haven't been following this much - other than knowing I want WWII 1911s... Obama vetoed the Defense bill, which included the amendment for the 1911s? Is that correct? So we're shit out of luck?

He vetoed it because it spends more than he wants and it keeps gitmo open and prevents him from moving the terrorists to the US. He did not like the 1911's but that wasn't a big issue. As long as they keep this in the bill which they likely will, they will pass another bill with some changes to spending most likely. I think 1911's will be available to cmp in time.

He vetoed it because it spends more than he wants and it keeps gitmo open and prevents him from moving the terrorists to the US. He did not like the 1911's but that wasn't a big issue. As long as they keep this in the bill which they likely will, they will pass another bill with some changes to spending most likely. I think 1911's will be available to cmp in time.

Fantastic. I'm in no rush - saving for a house. The M1's stay in the gun cabinet, and saving the pennies for when the 1911s get released. Oh right, the house too..

I just tweeted the congressman who wrote the amendment to the defense bill for CMP 1911's. When I hear from him, I'll post his reply.

Back
Top Bottom