CMP 1903 Springfield with bad barrels

Chuck

NES Member
Hi,

I've got a hankering for a 1903 Springfield, a shooter not a collectors piece. CMP has got some, but they say the barrels are horrible. Wondering if any of you have experience with what CMP is selling and barrel replacements.

thanks,
Chuck

Hi,

I've got a hankering for a 1903 Springfield, a shooter not a collectors piece. CMP has got some, but they say the barrels are horrible. Wondering if any of you have experience with what CMP is selling and barrel replacements.

thanks,
Chuck

The only ones I see listed with bad barrels are the barreled actions. But considering the complete Springfields I do see listed are returns from veteran's organizations that shot blanks and weren't probably ever cleaned, I imagine some of those are sewer pipes too.
Follow the info on the low serial number rifles that are considered unsafe to shoot. Someone here can chime in with more clear info on that subject than I have.
If it were up to me for the price CMP is charging, I'd get one from the classifieds here or at a show/shop and pay a little more before I pay $500 for something I can't see first.

I can remember buying a bunch of these for $300-400 with new barrels not too long ago. The CMP got gready pretty quickly.

The CMP got gready pretty quickly.

I don't think so. These rifle sales are the ONLY significant source of operational and investment funding for the Program. Once the CMP runs out of 30 caliber surplus rifles to sell, its only income will be from the interest and dividends of the investment made with today's income. So it is in the best interest of ALL of us that the CMP maximize its cash flow today.

Some people seem to forget that the main mission of the CMP is not to keep milsurp collectors sitting pretty with cheap guns, but to promote marksmanship and firearms safety, conduct the Distinguished Rifleman and Distinguished Pistol Shot programs, and conduct the National Trophy Rifle & Pistol Matches.

Ok, I understand that. But the quality was definitely gone downhill and the price has gone up quite a bit over the last 8 years.

As for the current CMP Springfields, I picked up two: an 03 and an 03A3. Neither has a "sewer pipe" barrel, but I don't know how good a shooter either one is yet.

The 03A3 has what looks like the original barrel, with muzzle wear at about 1 and strong rifling all the way down. The barrel on this one was clean when I got it. I think it has good potential as a shooter.

The 03 has a replacement barrel from '44 with muzzle wear at 2-3 and some nastiness down around the throat. While it is beautiful on the outside, the bore was a mess when I got it. Clearly used for firing lots of blanks with no cleaning.

So, it is a bit of a crap shoot. If you want a guaranteed shooter with a single purchase, you'll have to buy locally.

-Gary

I wanted an Alvin York gun, so ordered a 1903. What I got was a 1944 rebuild which had a new barrel and stock (complete w/zero finish and the marks from the Blanchard lathe still showing). It did not appear to have EVER been fired; rather, it looked as if it had been put in cosmoline, stored and ignored for 60 years.

It probably got more use the first time I took it to the range than it received in the previous 6 decades.

Hi,

thanks,
Chuck

I have heard of more happy endings than sad ones when it comes to what the CMP is selling but it is a luck of the draw like the CMP states. Some barrels have cleaned up beautiully, some not. Replacement barrels our getting pricey and more dificult to find (check E-bay) So if you get a rifle with a bad barrel that you just spent five bills for, add another $150-$200 for a barrel (at least) plus another $50-$100 to have it installed. I ordered two of the barreled recievers, which I have not recieved yet but am expecting to trash the barrels.

If the CMP route does not work out for you and you still need to fix that "hankering" try the shows but beware. Prices on 03/A3s have gotten crazy and they just keep going up and you still don't always know what you are getting. Whenever I go gun huntin, I put a 30.06 no go and field gage in my pocket. At a show a while back I came across a Smith-Corona A3 that was begging me to take it home, but I did not have my guages with me . I bought it anyway and sure enough when I got it home and checked the headspace was no good so I am looking for a barrel for that rifle or I may have it cut back and re-reamed. Which ever way you go, Good Luck...
Walter..

Last edited:
If you decide to buy one and it has a bad barrel. You can still find new in the wrap barrels out there for $50-55.00, (Maybe the prices on barrels have gone through the roof lately, I don't know) You will need to have it installed and have it reamed to set the headspacing. I had one done a few years ago.

This may be a mute point. Got an email from CMP yesterday saying they have a backlog of 1903 orders and they are not sure if they can fulfill them. So I guess I'll start looking locally -- any one know a could place to look? I've got my C&R if that helps...

cheers,
Chuck

This may be a mute point. Got an email from CMP yesterday saying they have a backlog of 1903 orders and they are not sure if they can fulfill them. So I guess I'll start looking locally -- any one know a could place to look? I've got my C&R if that helps...

cheers,
Chuck

Check any and all shops, you never know what you'll find. Just about any shop I've been into has a Springfield somewhere. Richie's in Westport, Ron's in New Bedford had one, and those are just local ones.
Just check out some info on high serial number rifles and the dangers of low serial numbered ones.

So I guess I'll start looking locally -- any one know a could place to look? I've got my C&R if that helps...
Pack & Postal in Lancaster, MA would be my first stop, Chuck. Lots of guns (long arms and short) there... just don't look at any of the pistols in the vault; most of them are for the out of state trade and it'll just break your heart to look at them.

Collectors Firearms in Texas http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/ has some very nice rifles from all four makers. there a little pricey but they have a good reputation. You would need C&R or have to go through an FFL for transfer

Like M4M stated, if you want a shooter stay away from anything below serial number 800,000 for Springfield armory and 286,508 from Rock Island Arsenal as they are not considered safe to shoot due to improper heat treatment. Remington and Smith Corona rifles are fine..[wink]

Walter.

WOW, I have one sitting in my closet that I paid $55.00 for. Actually, I bought two for $110.00 in the wrapper. I love investments.

Hold on to em, I don't see the prices going any where but up. There are a couple of others up no on e-bay, no doubt they will go for at least $150.00.
I had a A4 project going and paid over $400.00 for the proper bolt-stripped, no other parts. It's nuts...

Hold on to em, I don't see the prices going any where but up. There are a couple of others up no on e-bay, no doubt they will go for at least $150.00.
I had a A4 project going and paid over $400.00 for the proper bolt-stripped, no other parts. It's nuts...

I could have bent your handle to match an A4 rifle for $36.00. I would have only needed a photo or another bolt for a sample.

Ah, but it wouldn't be real and with these rifles originality is everything as far as value goes. I say that but I have to admit my A4 isn't real either. it's an A3 that someone D&Td and sporterized. I have spent a small fortune to bring it back. It's all correct, scope, mount, rings, stock, etc, except for the reciever but I could still sell it for more than what I have put into it. I have seen look-a-like A4s with more fake parts sell for ridiculous amounts of money, but I don't collect them to make money but rather to preserve a little history. Oh yea, there also a hell of a lotta fun to shoot[wink]
Walter..

Ebay is your friend - if you have deep pockets! I paid $240 for my HS 6/44 barrel I bought... expensive but it was unissued. My Remington 03 is shot out and just waiting for me to get the parts together to send it to someone to fix/refinish the rifle.

Joe R.

I guess if you need one, you need one. I guess I lucked out when I got mine. There is a guy in hardwick, ma. that did my barrel for me if you need someone to do yours. I think I still have his number somewhere.

I was looking to have someone out of state do it. I was looking at West Texas Armory ( http://www.westtexasarmory.com/ ) to do the put together/restore. I've talked to him and he seems to get it for what I want to have done. I'm not the restoration nut ( if I was it would go to National Match Armory ) but I want it looking good, not breath-taking. I told him I wanted a good looking date at the prom - not the prettiest one there. I'll let the next person hash out that it is a Remington 1903 and get all the correct parts. I'm still looking and got most as R-marked but there are some that are Springfield.

( Slight hijack ) If anybody has any other suggestions, put them here.

Joe R>

I was looking to have someone out of state do it. I was looking at West Texas Armory ( http://www.westtexasarmory.com/ ) to do the put together/restore. I've talked to him and he seems to get it for what I want to have done. I'm not the restoration nut ( if I was it would go to National Match Armory ) but I want it looking good, not breath-taking. I told him I wanted a good looking date at the prom - not the prettiest one there. I'll let the next person hash out that it is a Remington 1903 and get all the correct parts. I'm still looking and got most as R-marked but there are some that are Springfield.

( Slight hijack ) If anybody has any other suggestions, put them here.

Joe R>

If it's parts you need try Billricca.com. He has most parts and prices are pretty reasonable. Forgive me if you already new this.
Walter.

Back
Top Bottom