CHSB Acquisition History

Reptile

NES Member
I would like to get my acquisition history from the CHSB.

Will this show all the guns I ever bought?

What if I bought a gun and sold it? Would that gun have been removed from the history?

Will guns bought face to face / private sale on a FA-10 also be on this list?

Where does the list get it's data from?

How often is the list updated?

This webpage has the link to a pdf to print out and mail to them with a self addressed stamped envelope. The fee is $20.

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopster...b=terminalcontent&f=chsb_frb_forms&csid=Eeops

I think that this would be a great way to confirm transactions and maintain records. (although that is not required by law)

If nobody knows all these answers, I will give them a call and post their response.

In theory, it will show any acquisitions on which a FA-10 was filed.

What if I bought a gun and sold it? Would that gun have been removed from the history?

No. There is no mechanism in place to remove firearms from the database.

Yes.

FA-10s.

In theory, whenever a FA-10 is submitted.

Yeah, you have to love a system where they register every gun you buy.....but fail to remove any gun you sell.

There are a few people on this forum who may need to include extra postage for that self addressed stamped envelope!

i personally keep copies of all FA 10's (hard copy and electronic)... IF they were to burn in a fire or boating accident, oh well... i also have a list of all the toys, date purchased, serial numbers ect... (similar to spreadsheet from GOAL)

quite frankly, i don't see how paying the CHSB $20 to confirm what I already know [laugh]

Yeah, you have to love a system where they register every gun you buy.....but fail to remove any gun you sell.

Which is a good reason to save all your FA-10 transaction reciepts......to show the Po Po in the event that has been in your possession at some point in time is used in a crime.

Last edited:
i personally keep copies of all FA 10's (hard copy and electronic)... IF they were to burn in a fire or boating accident, oh well... i also have a list of all the toys, date purchased, serial numbers ect... (similar to spreadsheet from GOAL)

quite frankly, i don't see how paying the CHSB $20 to confirm what I already know [laugh]

Some records might not have made it into the database. Lost in the mail. Seller never mailed the FA-10. Some records were lost due to, I think, a flood in the basement. It might not be a bad idea to find out what they know you have and what they don't.

OK maybe i am reading this wrong but doesn't the highlighted area mean you only get the info from 1985 on?

The Criminal History Systems Board (CHSB) maintains a database including licenses issued and gun transactions reported to the CHSB on the FA-1 Reporting Card, FA-2 Registration Card, FA-10 Dealer Book or the Firearms Sale/Rental/Lease Transactional Form after 1985. If you would like a copy of any license (s) issued to you after October 20, 1998, or gun transactions reported to the FRB after 1985, where you are listed as the transferee, complete this form, and return it with a self-addressed, stamped envelope and a bank check or money order for $20.00 made payable to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, to the address listed below. This fee is necessary to pay for search and reproduction costs incurred as a result of this request, and is charged in accordance with M.G.L. c. 66, § 10(a) and 950 CMR 32.06. You MUST have your signature notarized by a notary public before your request can be processed. You will receive a response by mail. No walk-in service is available.

I'd only waste the money on this if you have it burning a hole in your pocket or you need data. I suppose the poorness of the data quality is good for a laugh.

-Mike

I would like to get my acquisition history from the CHSB.

No. They tossed all the old blue cards.

No, it would still be on the list. Nothing ever gets removed from your record.

Yes.

A database that is loaded from FA-10 forms.

Probably every they scan an FA-10 or a dealer sends in an electronic transfer form.

I'm gonna chime in and say don't bother. Do you really want someone purposely poking around in your gun history? What if they discover some discrepancy like a 2 as and S and give you a hard time? Better to leave the CRIMINAL HISTORY board aka: "the government agency where lawful gun owners have to register their guns because guns are icky and they need to be tracked for YOUR safety" be.

Some records might not have made it into the database. Lost in the mail. Seller never mailed the FA-10. Some records were lost due to, I think, a flood in the basement. It might not be a bad idea to find out what they know you have and what they don't.

we are gun owners, i'd assume if we are smart enough to browse NES and clean a pistol... we are smart enough to throw copies of FA 10's in a folder (i prefer a binder with tabs and document protectors).

i don't care what the CHSB has on me or doesn't have... i KNOW what I have because i keep track of my guns and ammo.

just like renewing your DL online, you print the confirmation number and save it until your receive your DL in the mail... -right?

god forbit the govt. screws something up, right? i'm NOT going to pay them to double check my homework.

we are gun owners, i'd assume if we are smart enough to browse NES and clean a pistol... we are smart enough to throw copies of FA 10's in a folder (i prefer a binder with tabs and document protectors).
I have a bound diary where I keep all of that. I tape the FA-10 and receipts into the diary, with a couple pages for each gun.

However you choose to do so, it makes sense to keep copies of your FA-10s. And if you sell to an out of state FFL, keep track of those details as well.

This is one reason that I'd like to sell every single gun I bought in Mass. once I move out west (other than a few hard to find items). The idea of the government having that database on all my guns makes me very uncomfortable.

I keep every copy of an FA-10, and in the case of sales I get a return reciept. Again, I have a problem with a system that isn't really tracking ownership. They want to track every gun I buy, but apparently don't care to update my record for the ones I sell. Many people have some sales because the gun didn't work for their personal needs, but MA just chaulks them all up to the same owner. Just seems like a bunch of BS to me.

I sent in the form today. There are a number of firearms that I bought from dealers before 1984. How do I show that they were legally in Mass before the "LIST"?

Or, does it matter?

I will post any response.

I sent in the form today. There are a number of firearms that I bought from dealers before 1984. How do I show that they were legally in Mass before the "LIST"?

Or, does it matter?

Why would you need to show that and who would you need to show that too?

this....

i think i shoud write the DMV with a history of titles to cars i owned before i moved back to MA, now that i think about... [rolleyes]

i really don't get it...

1. buy a gun, 4473 and / or FA 10

-fin

IS this TOO easy? IS this THAT simple that we must ask for more?

YES MASTER! I'z gotz my gunz... just wants to make sho our records match master... [rolleyes]

**disclaimer, to each his / her own, i just don't get it**

[laugh]

Or, does it matter?

Unless you kept your "flimsies" (tissue paper FA-10s before 1998 or copies of your blue cards), you aren't likely to be able to prove ownership pre-1998 (for FTF, 1986 for dealer transfers).

Does it matter? Yes, if you want to sell thru/to a dealer at any time in your life or that of your heirs.

You're wasting money getting the "CHSB version" of what they think that you own. It's almost never correct and thus useless.

I kept receipts and FA-10s/blue cards for every gun I ever bought or sold (exception: NO FFL ever gave me a receipt for any sale that I made to them, which was less than a handful). I NEVER expected that it would matter, but it turns out that in 1998 the law changed so that it DOES MATTER if I or my Wife ever want to dispose of any guns via a MA Dealer.

Nothing you can do at this point if you didn't keep your paperwork, I'm afraid. NOTE: Some MA Dealers may take your word for it, but many will insist on a piece of paper for proof so that they don't get jammed up with an illegal transaction (for them, not for you).

See above. Only one I ever expect to show it to would be a MA Dealer due to the MA insane laws.

well i ran into a potential problem tonight. I kept all my tissue papers, even for bb guns when they were needed, and i have all my fa-10s from my purchases. However this thread made me go over all my records and i somehow don't have a record of 1 shotgun i no longer have. I have the receipt for purchase, i say receipt because that's all i have for it. It was from a wal-mart back in 95. i have a vague memory of handing in a blue card at the pd after i sold it, but that's all. were they even still doing the blue cards in 95 or 96? at the time i never thought i would need to keep a record of a blue card - wish i had copied it now. I hope chsb got the card, if they did it would be under the new owner, if they didn't.......

Unless you kept your "flimsies" (tissue paper FA-10s before 1998 or copies of your blue cards), you aren't likely to be able to prove ownership pre-1998 (for FTF, 1986 for dealer transfers).

Does it matter? Yes, if you want to sell thru/to a dealer at any time in your life or that of your heirs.
Exactly. That's the only time it matters.

Blue cards were used until 10/21/1998 for FTF and registrations. ALL blue cards were trashed and not computerized, so the nanny state has absolutely no record of these transactions. Nothing to fret about as only handguns are an issue where you might need "proof" of being in the nanny state when anyone wishes to dispose of them. Long guns aren't affected.

Chiefs used to hoard blue cards like they were gold. In all my years of working for the PD, there were NEVER any blue cards in the dispatch area. You always had to connect with the chief personally to get them and my chief had them in his personal desk, nowhere else.

Here's a thought.

Once you're on record requesting your history, aren't you OBLIGATED (in the eyes of the state) to provide them with updates and to clean up any errors or defficienies?

I think I'll remain ignorant of what their records show. I have confidence in MY records.

Once you're on record requesting your history, aren't you OBLIGATED (in the eyes of the state) to provide them with updates and to clean up any errors or defficienies?
Provide a citation for the statute that creates such an obligation.

Back
Top Bottom