Chipotle: "Don't Bring Guns in our Stores"

I kinda liked Chipotle. Decent lunch for under $10. Sounds cheap enough, but for some reason if you're buying for your family, you sit down and go "I paid almost $40 for this??" Q'Doba it is, now. Or one of the many local places that deserve our business. Here in my town, it's Cancun's.

The long gun open carriers DO more harm than good (see Starbucks, JiTB, and now Chipotle). If they're not allowed to carry handguns, just stay on public property and leave these business owners out of it.

Can you post the response?

Steven,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us about this very sensitive issue. We recognize that the vast majority of gun owners are responsible citizens who carry their guns in accordance with local laws. We hope that those same citizens will honor our request to refrain from bringing their firearms into our restaurants, unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel. I will definitely make a note of your sentiments regarding our request. In the meantime, I hope that you have a peaceful rest of the week and that we may someday have the opportunity to serve you again.

Sincerely,
Andrea

Customer Service Consultant
Chipotle Mexican Grill

Awaiting their response:

Hello,

I was disappointed to hear that your company has caved into the fanatical anti gun rabidity propagated by Mr. Bloomberg and the Mom's group. As a law abiding gun owner, licensed to carry concealed handguns, I simply wanted to write to inform you that while you have the right to make whatever rules you wish for your properties, no matter how silly, I will no longer be patronizing your restaurants. I used to eat at Chipotle at least twice a week for lunch at work. I'll switch to Q'doba and Boloco now. You've alienated more customers than you probably realize.

Lied about how often I eat there but I have been getting bowls there for a bit now.

Hmm, are they actually banning guns or not?

This is potentially quite a bit different than the starbucks edict which was more along the lines of "we're not going to ban guns in our stores, but please stop inserting us in the middle of the debate"

-Mike

The quotes from the articles seem to indicate a request that they hope people will listen to rather than a ban that they plan to enforce.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Steven,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us about this very sensitive issue. We recognize that the vast majority of gun owners are responsible citizens who carry their guns in accordance with local laws. We hope that those same citizens will honor our request to refrain from bringing their firearms into our restaurants, unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel. I will definitely make a note of your sentiments regarding our request. In the meantime, I hope that you have a peaceful rest of the week and that we may someday have the opportunity to serve you again.

Sincerely,
Andrea

Customer Service Consultant
Chipotle Mexican Grill

[puke]

So now it's a great place for criminals to get their shitty burritos and normal citizens to get their dogs shot for "taking too long in line"

The quotes from the articles seem to indicate a request that they hope people will listen to rather than a ban that they plan to enforce.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

this is how I have read it as well

eff em. I never ate that crap anyway. I would rather go to Taco Bell. The food is cheaper, on par, and I can carry...

I am not particularly fond of Chipotle, and that is because I don't much care for their food not because I care about their gun policy, but to say it is on par with Taco Bell is a bit more then a stretch.

The OC protesters should have paid with 2 dollar bills and pointed their finger guns at the cashier after they paid, that would have made everything better.

no drive thru, no care.

dont care for standing in line, too many confusing choices, then telling 6 people what you want over and over, as they pass your food down the assembly line, then telling the cashier what you have, and finally pay. Give me a good waitress, or a drive thru window..

also dont care for fast food joints trying to be political. shut up and make my lunch.

eff em. I never ate that crap anyway. I would rather go to Taco Bell. The food is cheaper, on par, and I can carry...

this is the part of the boycott argument I don't get when it comes to these threads
"i'll go to x instead" well you know why that's a better option for you? because they haven't been put in this position yet, but I guarantee if they do get the open carry vs moms demand action spotlight on them you will NOT like their reaction

I am not particularly fond of Chipotle, and that is because I don't much care for their food not because I care about their gun policy, but to say it is on par with Taco Bell is absurd.

The OC protesters should have paid with 2 dollar bills and pointed their finger guns at the cashier after they paid, that would have made everything better.

This. On par with Taco Bell? [shocked] What world is he living in?

Though I rarely go anyways, I don't think I'll be boycotting Chipotle. I think most people believe that this whole thing counts as a "win" for the dipshit anti-gun groups (like Mothers Demand Whatever or that ex-NYC-mayor *******), which is pretty laughable.

saw this in the m4c thread on this topic...

BoA8k96IUAAJodY.jpg

this is one of those times I miss ChetD and his out right hatred for the fatties. [laugh]

this is the part of the boycott argument I don't get when it comes to these threads
"i'll go to x instead" well you know why that's a better option for you? because they haven't been put in this position yet, but I guarantee if they do get the open carry vs moms demand action spotlight on them you will NOT like their reaction

I'm not boycotting. I'm saying I already don't eat there.

But since you mentioned boycotting - it's still a free market right? I can go where I want right? I don't open carry anyway. I'm in Massachusetts. I wouldn't if I were in a free state anyway. I don't like the idea of announcing.. I like to fly under the radar... To each their own on that. But I don't get your reply... If something is legal - why should anyone be forced to feel shame for legal activity?

What if I hung a sign on my business's door that said no admittance if you've had an abortion? How would that go over? Compared to law abiding gun owners those people HAVE actually killed. But I'm the one who is supposed to be ashamed?

Last edited:
This guy gets it:

http://easybakegunclub.com/blog/4924/Chipotle,-Open-Carry,-and-Common-Sense.html

Here is the full statement from Chipotle:

The issue of gun ownership or gun rights has become one of the most contentious debates in the country. Chipotle has never taken a position on this issue, as we focus instead on our mission to change the way people think about and eat fast food.

Recently participants from an “open carry” demonstration in Texas brought guns (including military-style assault rifles) into one of our restaurants, causing many of our customers anxiety and discomfort. Because of this, we are respectfully asking that customers not bring guns into our restaurants, unless they are authorized law enforcement personnel.

Historically, we felt it enough to simply comply with local laws regarding the open or concealed carrying of firearms, because we believe that it is not fair to put our team members in the uncomfortable position of asking that customers refrain from bringing guns into our restaurants. However, because the display of firearms in our restaurants has now created an environment that is potentially intimidating or uncomfortable for many of our customers, we think it is time to make this request.

We acknowledge that there are strong arguments on both sides of this issue. We have seen those differing positions expressed in the wake of this event in Texas, where pro-gun customers have contacted us to applaud our support of the Second Amendment, and anti-gun customers have expressed concern over the visible display of military-style assault rifles in restaurants where families are eating. The vast majority of gun owners are responsible citizens and we appreciate them honoring this request. And we hope that our customers who oppose the carrying of guns in public agree with us that it is the role of elected officials and the legislative process to set policy in this area, not the role of businesses like Chipotle.

We always welcome the exchange of ideas and opinions: it is one of the many things that make our country such a special place. But this issue is not central to the operation of our business, and we do not feel that our restaurants should be used as a platform for either side of the debate.

Chris Arnold
Communications Director
Chipotle

Well, there's open carrying, and then there's THAT silliness in the picture a couple posts up.

FFS.

I'm not boycotting. I'm saying I already don't eat there.

But since you mentioned boycotting - it's still a free market right? I can go where I want right? I don't open carry anyway. I'm in Massachusetts. I wouldn't if I were in a free state anyway. I don't like the idea of announcing.. I like to fly under the radar... To each their own on that. But I don't get your reply... If something is legal - why should anyone be forced to feel shame for legal activity?

What if I hung a sign on my business's door that said no admittance if you've had an abortion? How would that go over? Compared to law abiding gun owners those people HAVE actually killed. But I'm the one who is supposed to be ashamed?
my comment wasn't meant at you directly, my apologies, more these threads in general. And I in no way approve of banning people from stores (but private property, can do as they please, all that).

I agree with what you said and like said earlier, that should be the counter movement, that these establishments are banning people based on legal activities and should be ripped apart for it

Meh. Unless they make it an outright ban and put a sign on the door, I'm still getting a burrito every time I go to Manchester. This is just like the Starbucks thing. Some guys felt a need to tote around ARs to make a point and turned a publicly neutral establishment against us with their antics. I don't blame Chipotle here. They're running a business. I blame the open carry demonstrators who forced their hand into making a statement discouraging carrying of guns.

As long as they leave it a suggestion and not a ban like Starbucks did, I fault the demonstrators not the restaurant chain.

Here's my e-mail.

I am writing to say how disappointed I am in your response to the open carry issue in Texas. I agree it was in poor taste for the individuals to bring rifles into your restaurant. However, I am a tiny 50 year old woman, lawfully licensed to carry a concealed weapon. Now, I am no longer welcome in your business unless I stop in the parking lot and go through the process to safely secure my firearm before I can buy a burrito? There must be a better way to handle this situation.

The long gun open carriers DO more harm than good (see Starbucks, JiTB, and now Chipotle). If they're not allowed to carry handguns, just stay on public property and leave these business owners out of it.

No question about it but I find it very hard to put the issue into an "us or them" category.

I think this whole "carrying in businesses" issue was handled well by Staples. When the mom's group protested (after a customer shot herself in a store in North Carolina - an ND), Staples just said they would follow all federal, state, and local laws and the story pretty much went away. When a company says "NO GUNS ALLOWED", the media picks up the story and it gets full-bore national attention. Seems Staples has a better PR team than Chipotle.

I'm a fan of the Chipotle burrito. I like them and I will continue to patronize them. I think they handled the situation very well with the statement they released. I will also continue to carry when I'm there. I think we sometimes look too hard to find a reason to be outraged. I don't consider this to be worthy of such angst.

Back
Top Bottom