• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Chemical spray:

My daughter is only 17. I know before they legalized pepper spray for everyone over 18 you could get a FID card for chemical spray or regular FID card at 15. So is it legal for her to posess "mace" as long as she doesn't have it on school property. I would feel better if she had something this summer.

They do offer FIDs as early as 15. I believe they no longer offer chem only FIDs, though.

That said, if you apply now, she might be 18 by the time it comes in.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

if not, i'm pretty sure you can buy the 'mailman' grade stuff without any license at all. trust me when I say that it's enough to stop someone in their tracks...ask me how I know.
Care to share that story? I feel like there's a lot be learned from experiences like that.

lets just say I know a guy that used to test defensive products on himself for funzies (or you could call it 'conditioning')...we'll call him Dukur652. He's a decent enough dude...just a little misguided. He had the philosophy that if he was going to use something on an adversary, he should first try it on himself to gauge the effectiveness of said device...tazers, CS, mailman grade...he even tried on his dogs 'training' collar to see how it felt before putting it on his best friend.

he draws the line at testing the effectiveness of body armor...he's just gonna have to figure that one out if the day ever comes that he needs to use it (at which point he'll likely have bigger problems anyway)

don't be like Dukur652...just take his word that everything I tried was totally effective. :D

Last I read was that one needs an LTC to carry or purpose pepper spray in MA because pepper spray is classified as ammunition. Has this changed?
My daughters carries pepper spray and a "cat ear" key ring, and a tactical knife on a college campus that has a zero weapons policy. But we are not in MA.

She doesnt and as far as I know, they no longer offer FID cards. Everything is now LTC.

Wrong!

Here's the current application form, directly from the state website:
http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/updated-ltc-fid-card-app-revised-05-19-15.pdf

They do offer FIDs as early as 15. I believe they no longer offer chem only FIDs, though.

That said, if you apply now, she might be 18 by the time it comes in.

Wrong!

Yes, it takes time to get it so that she may well be 18 before then.

And, although you may purchase outside MA or find someone to ship it to her, it's still illegal to possess w/o the FID if under 18 yo.

Good to know. So no permit needed anymore? Legal to purchase and possess in MA?
Yes, but a store needs a MA license to sell ammunition to sell it, so youwon't find it at most corner stores.
What's mailman-grade pepper spray?
It's called HALT and it is more dillute than anti-personel pepper spray. Don't assume that it will be equally effective against an enraged attacker because it halted one "friend of an NES poster" who was probably rather calm at the time of the test.

Last edited:
Yes, but a store needs a MA license to sell ammunition to sell it, so youwon't find it at most corner stores.

It's called HALT and it is more dillute than anti-personel pepper spray. Don't assume that it will be equally effective against an enraged attacker because it halted one "friend of an NES poster" who was probably rather calm at the time of the test.
You can buy pepper spray at a CVS Doreen here. [emoji12] [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Don't assume that it will be equally effective against an enraged attacker because it halted one "friend of an NES poster" who was probably rather calm at the time of the test.

This is a totally valid point...adrenaline can do some pretty neat stuff as a natural defense mechanism. I just know that what my 'friend' dealt with was pretty damned impressive for OTC, though probably not much more than getting brake cleaner in your eyes...wait, theres a legal solution! Until you get sued by the bad guy because he's permanently blind (not that we probably weren't paying him for not working anyway).

As a deterrent, I would recommend it only if nothing else is available legally. It'll work somewhat...will it stop a threat from a meth head or someone that just chewed someone elses face off after smoking bath salts...one just can't know until it happens. It's been a while since we've seen any bath salt induced cannibalism, hasn't it?

FID under 18 is only $25 and indemnifies the kid forever against criminal charges (as long as it isn't revoked) for anything an FID covers
https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section129B
Notwithstanding the provisions of section 10 of chapter 269, any person in possession of a non-large capacity rifle or shotgun whose firearm identification card issued under this section is invalid for the sole reason that it has expired, not including licenses that remain valid under paragraph (9) because the licensee applied for renewal before the license expired, but who shall not be disqualified from renewal upon application therefor under this section, shall be subject to a civil fine of not less than $100 nor more than $5,000 and the provisions of said section 10 of said chapter 269 shall not apply;

Wrong!

Here's the current application form, directly from the state website:
http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/updated-ltc-fid-card-app-revised-05-19-15.pdf

Wrong!

Yes, it takes time to get it so that she may well be 18 before then.

And, although you may purchase outside MA or find someone to ship it to her, it's still illegal to possess w/o the FID if under 18 yo.
Thanks for the correction Len. For my own improvement, which part was I wrong on?

Do they still offer the chem-only FID?

Or were you saying that it's inappropriate to tell the OP that we can't know how long it will take for them to process it, so not knowing how far from her next birthday she is, we can't reasonably guess if she'll receive it before reaching the age of majority?

Thanks for the correction Len. For my own improvement, which part was I wrong on?

Do they still offer the chem-only FID?

Or were you saying that it's inappropriate to tell the OP that we can't know how long it will take for them to process it, so not knowing how far from her next birthday she is, we can't reasonably guess if she'll receive it before reaching the age of majority?

Yes, the 2014 law didn't delete either version of the FID, so chem-only FID is still available. If you look at the form I linked, it has all license variants listed on it.

No, I think it almost (sadly) funny that the person could turn 18 prior to receiving the FID, depending on the town they live in. No criticism from me on that (other than against towns that drag their feet forever).

lets just say I know a guy that used to test defensive products on himself for funzies (or you could call it 'conditioning')...we'll call him Dukur652. He's a decent enough dude...just a little misguided. He had the philosophy that if he was going to use something on an adversary, he should first try it on himself to gauge the effectiveness of said device...tazers, CS, mailman grade...he even tried on his dogs 'training' collar to see how it felt before putting it on his best friend.

he draws the line at testing the effectiveness of body armor...he's just gonna have to figure that one out if the day ever comes that he needs to use it (at which point he'll likely have bigger problems anyway)

don't be like Dukur652...just take his word that everything I tried was totally effective. :D
I think I catch your drift! When I was in middle school one of my friends had a bizarre older brother. We were at his house playing poker one night when his brother busted out his taser...he invited us all to try it and we declined...

One might think that this was personal experience if it wasn't for the U instead of an A in Dukur.[wink][laugh]

Funny chemical spray side-story:

3 years ago, my kids are at the lake and want to go out for a walk.

"Put bug spray on Buddy" the older one says to the younger.

Younger takes OFF BUG FOGGER and sprays the kid. [rofl]

They immediately realize their mistake, get him in the shower, no harm done. They spilled the beans later on. It was pretty funny to hear. I think with all the mayhem, they never took that walk.

As far as pepper spray, it's a condiment. I'd carry and worry about consequences later if I was 17 in this day and age. ESPECIALLY if I wuz a women-child in this day and age.

Funny chemical spray side-story:

3 years ago, my kids are at the lake and want to go out for a walk.

"Put bug spray on Buddy" the older one says to the younger.

Younger takes OFF BUG FOGGER and sprays the kid. [rofl]

They immediately realize their mistake, get him in the shower, no harm done. They spilled the beans later on. It was pretty funny to hear. I think with all the mayhem, they never took that walk.

As far as pepper spray, it's a condiment. I'd carry and worry about consequences later if I was 17 in this day and age. ESPECIALLY if I wuz a women-child in this day and age.

Start the "Concealed is concealed" mantra early. If she needs it, she's got bigger things to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom