Cheap scope for rimfire

The problem with most cheap scopes is not holding zero but getting them to zero at all. Once you touch the turrets a click of the turret might not move it at all or it may move it 1moa.
Lots of false clicks and backlash.
Swapping from 22 to 17 will require a lot of rezeroing. Unless of course you get a "mil dot" style scope and accept the chance one of the mil dots will be your zero.
What type of shooting are you doing?
Accuracy acceptance of your rifles/ammo/scope?
I have lots of inexpensive scopes. Most do what I need them to do.
I most recent perchase.
Bushnell AR22 - Bushnell - 2-7x 32mm
Have not bothered to see if the "drop reticle" is any good. I use it for plinking 4-6" steel from 10-75 yards. No hold over needed.
Mueller 8x32x44 mil dot reticle bought this to shoot small groups out to 200 yards on my 22lr 513t and target 10/22
I got the mil dot for some added moa.
Mueller Optics MT83244

for the ultra cheap scopes simmons,CVlife,tasco and center point all make scopes under $60 that should do exactly what a cheap scope does.

No kidding. Usually my eyes pick up imperfections quickly. I haven’t noticed any parallax and I shoot more 25-50 yds than 100 yds. That said I would definitely prefer it to have parallax adjustment.

No kidding. Usually my eyes pick up imperfections quickly. I haven’t noticed any parallax and I shoot more 25-50 yds than 100 yds. That said I would definitely prefer it to have parallax adjustment.

I wear contacts at 3.75 strength. Probably more that than the scope. I used it at an appleseed and I’m just spoiled between my Swift and Mueller scopes on 2 of my Savage 22s

I actually bought this and returned it. Might just be my eyes but I found it blurry inside 50 yards. Non adjustable parallax set to 50 yds.
This is where cheap scopes really shine. The glass can suck. Although it's good enough for a cheap scope.

Switching a scope from one rifle to another, constantly? That'll drive you bonkers real quick. Look at Tascos. Or buy once, cry once.

Switching a scope from one rifle to another, constantly? That'll drive you bonkers real quick. Look at Tascos. Or buy once, cry once.

For real. I have only two scopes. One on one of my deer hunting shotguns and one on a single shot .22 rifle. They don’t get used on any other of my shotguns or .22 rifles.

I have a “Pursuit” scope for my .22 that holds zero solid. I think it was $50. The scope that came on the used Winchester 1200 I bought years back is a Simmons and it is good as well.

I got a utg bugbuster for my 10/22 and it’s been fine for the range. It’ll be my go to squirrel gun this fall too.

Say what you want about the Simmons .22 MAG but I've had good luck with these $30 scopes...

I purchase this one a couple of months back. No problems with it holding zero. It's on a Marlin Model 60. I would just buy a couple $30 or $40 scopes. Not worth the hassle of switching back and forth. Screenshot_20180817-185929.png

better would be one of the Bushnell Elite 4200 or Sightron Big Skys. Keep in mind that Leupolds cheapest 4:1 zoom erector systems start at $1000, and most of the big name scopes like Zeiss Conquest or Nightforce have VERY few 4:1 zoom ratio scopes in their lineup. Yet here is a 4:1 zoom ratio scope for $50 , and refurbished. This is certainly no bargain, just like all the other 4:1 zoom scope out there for under $100. Most everyone will go optically "soft" at the higher zoom range.
I in general, would not recommend buying any 4:1 zoom for less than even $200. The Simmons Philippine 6.5-20X50 is a 3:1 zoom ratio erector system, and by all accounts is a bargain as it gets reasonable reviews on RFC. It is a VERY large scope and requires very high ring mounts.

I purchase this one a couple of months back. No problems with it holding zero. It's on a Marlin Model 60.

I also have a couple of Barska Plinkers and like them almost as much as the Simmons .22 Mag.
That said I still like the Simmonds a little more. Glass is just a wee bit better.

Coyote33, as you can tell by the reviews the Simmons rates pretty well for a sub-$30 scope.The Konus looks like it may serve well.

Note: I ain't no sniper. I like shooting ground hogs, squirrels, paper and beer cans.
I can do all of those well with these cheap scopes...

~Matt

I also have a couple of Barska Plinkers and like them almost as much as the Simmons .22 Mag.
That said I still like the Simmonds a little more. Glass is just a wee bit better.

Coyote33, as you can tell by the reviews the Simmons rates pretty well for a sub-$30 scope.The Konus looks like it may serve well.

Note: I ain't no sniper. I like shooting ground hogs, squirrels, paper and beer cans.
I can do all of those well with these cheap scopes...

~Matt
I'll have to give the Simmons A try next time I need one.

Just the name. Works on rimfires of different flavors...

I have Simmons 22 MAG 4X32 scope for ruger 10/22 and it's a great one. It's easy to adjust, holds its zero and doesn't break the bank.

I guess what I meant is, are the reticles set up or aligned to .22 Mag distances? If not, I may just go for one of these. What else is necessary to mount it to a 10/22?

Yote,
No. All mine correlated with .22LR. I think Simmons used the "MAG" to make people think it is a beefier design.
Their "Truplex" reticle is a typical crosshair style and does not have the caliber-dependent multi-reticle lines.
It is an inexpensive, entry-level scope that is very dependable, fairly durable and capable of most "household" chores.

~Matt

product_riflescope_511033.jpg
Bromleys-Sighting-In-Your-Crossbow-4-14.jpg

most of the "drop" reticles are shit. You
I guess what I meant is, are the reticles set up or aligned to .22 Mag distances? If not, I may just go for one of these. What else is necessary to mount it to a 10/22?
really need to figure out how they will work with your platform and ammo choice. For example the nikkon AR22 BDC 22lr reticle is calerbrated for 1200fps 22lr. I shoot 1050-1080fps fodder

How your scope mounts to your 10/22 depends on your mount.
I have the old weaver mount with the 3/8 and 7/8 weaver style mount. Its ok
If your going with weaver/pic rail style rings there are several choices also
this gives you a lot of options for ring placement
EGW 1-Piece Picatinny-Style Base

most of the "drop" reticles are shit. You

really need to figure out how they will work with your platform and ammo choice. For example the nikkon AR22 BDC 22lr reticle is calerbrated for 1200fps 22lr. I shoot 1050-1080fps fodder

How your scope mounts to your 10/22 depends on your mount.
I have the old weaver mount with the 3/8 and 7/8 weaver style mount. Its ok
If your going with weaver/pic rail style rings there are several choices also
this gives you a lot of options for ring placement
EGW 1-Piece Picatinny-Style Base
I'd prefer traditional rings. My "platform" is 10/22. My "ammo choice" is Federal/Winchester/Remington/CCI/other.

tl;dr

Mueller APV is the way to go.

Can those be had for close to the $30 affordable price tag of the Simmons Mag? (see thread title)

Back
Top Bottom