• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cheap scope for rimfire

I've had good luck with Simmons on rimfires but I'd get 2 scopes. I have a 10-22 and a Savage .17HMR. The trajectory of the 2 is very different. Swapping the scope and re zeroing each time is too much BS for me.

I got one of the Simmons 4x scopes recently for my Ruger American Rimfire in 22LR. I like it a lot, actually. It was sort of replacing a much nicer 2-7x Bushnell scope that weighed a lot more, maybe twice as much. The Simmons is an optical step down for sure but surprisingly nice. The thing is, the rifle it's on is a 2 MOA gun, and I plink with it off-hand at little targets at 65 yards and under. That's the niche the rifle fits in my collection. My other rimfire rifles are 17HMR, and these both have 3-9x Leupolds on them. Once I decided how I was going to use this rifle, I knew all that I needed was an optic that works well with my old eyes. Had a red dot on it for awhile, but some magnification is super nice for seeing 2 MOA-sized targets. Incidentally, I won't dispute the perils of cheap scope rings in general, but I have to report a positive outcome in this case. All the rings I had on hand were overkill, and reducing the weight (without spending a lot of money) was actually the point of the switch. Everything worked perfectly. The rings are tight on the receiver dovetail, and it holds zero under normal use. I'm sure there's a catch somewhere with this scope. Maybe it would lose zero if you hit it with a mallet. Maybe 1 in 20 is a real piece of doo doo. Dunno. Just know that I have one and like it.

Coyote, was wondering if you bought the Simmons scope, and if so, what you thought of it?

I am in the same boat as you, interested in weight and clarity and will concede the variable zoom to get it.

It's in my "cart". I usually wait until there's enough to get free shipping. I think there is now, and I will pull the trigger on that tonight. I think I had the wrong one in there at first, then the right one without the rings.

Here's what I have now. Is the "Truplex" the right reticle?:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EHUE00/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Truplex is just their name for a duplex reticle. The model number on the one I have is 561022 . That link says 511022. I have no idea what the differences are.

Ha. Google almost did a full circle. Brought me back to NES, and an old post of mine (for same rifle!).

Simmons .22 mag versus Simmons 8 Point 25%off

Now there are 3 model numbers to choose from:

Anyone?

Well, poking around at https://www.simmonsoptics.com/riflescopes/22_mag.aspx , I'm guessing that 561022 is an old product number and that 511022 is the corresponding current product. Whether it's still exactly the same product, I don't know. It seems that the newer one is less expensive. You might want to check Walmart for it, BTW. I think I saw it there at my local one today, but I can't remember if it was approximately $29 or approximately $39. Sorry. If you pick one up from Walmart, though, you should be able to return it easily and quickly if it's defective or if you just don't like it.

I don't know how much stock to put in the one number that is slightly different between 510514 and 511022, the field of view at 100 yards. They could still be the same scope, just with the 8-point not coming with rings for a rimfire dovetail. Good luck figuring this out.

Ha. Google almost did a full circle. Brought me back to NES, and an old post of mine (for same rifle!).
Happened to me yesterday.
It's like looking 13 billion light years away with a telescope
and seeing your own backside.

But it seems no one pointed out in 2010 that 510514 is 10.9" long, vs. 511022 is 12.6" long.
Now there are 3 model numbers to choose from:
LTFY.

Well, poking around at https://www.simmonsoptics.com/riflescopes/22_mag.aspx , I'm guessing that 561022 is an old product number and that 511022 is the corresponding current product. Whether it's still exactly the same product, I don't know. It seems that the newer one is less expensive.
In The Abstract Dept.​

Yeah, with nonsense like the Colt 1911 with an "anodized" "steel" frame going on,
I wouldn't jump to any hasty conclusions about two seemingly identical items
with different model numbers being "the same".

I have the feeling that Harbor Freight assigns distinct model numbers
for crap sourced from different suppliers.
(How else to explain "free with any purchase" Super Coupons that are good for
any of several M/N digital voltmeters where they use the same image for all of them?
It's not even red case vs. yellow case or presence/absence
of a backlight or continuity sounder).
They might have different designs, except that the suppliers pirate each other's
intellectual property shamelessly, so why dare to be different.

Depending on how "Pacfic Rim" the scopes are, some of the same might apply.
B&H Photo uses two differently named .jpgs containing the identical bits...
One brags about "clamshell" packaging <eyeroll>, the other is mute.
One scope has "multi-coated optics", the other has "coated optics".But data entry clerks filling vendor "product comparison" databases
are notoriously inconsistent about stuff like that.

And one is "discontinued" and the other available for purchase,
but let that go.

I have been following this thread as I have tech sights on my Marlin 795 but looking to switch. I have used this set up to become more familiar with peep sights but now I am looking to expand beyond that in terms of distance and accuracy and so began looking for a scope for said Marlin. With this thread, I had settled on a fixed 4x scope as my likely choice. But before buying, a friend of mine lent me two variable power scopes and that was a huge help in helping determining my direction. After borrowing the variables and seeing what 4x truly looked liked, I decided it was what I was looking for, it wasn't a big enough upgrade for me. So off to see what was available for variables.

Borrowing the two scopes helped greatly beyond just seeing what 4x looked like at a 100yds. It helped me be more conscious of weight, as one weighed in at 20oz and the other at 12oz. The Marlin itself weighs 4.5 lbs, so adding over a pound didn't make sense. It made me more conscious of length as well, with one being 9" and the other 12.5". I intend to try to keep this as light has possible and so was going with 3/8" dovetail rings, no additional picatinny rail set up, but that only leaves a mounting surface of 4.5" so overall scope length is a factor. Finally they had different reticles, one with finer crosshairs in the center and the other with thick crosshairs through the entire scope.

So in the end I did not go cheap but bought a Leupold VX Freedom Rimfire 2-7x33 with some help of a gift card. It is 11 ounces and 11" with a fine center reticle. It arrives next week so we'll see how I like it. I really wanted to go with the Leupold FX-1 at a fixed 4x due to its light weight (7.5 oz) and short length (9.2") but the 4x wasn't what I was looking for. The variable is heavier and longer than that fixed but the range up to 7x will mean I will use it more and that is what matters. I looked at the Vortex Rimfire as well as it is cheaper but decided to save every ounce I could and so went with the lighter Leupold. I will post a range report later.

I realize it probably seems like a waste to many to put a Leupold on a Marlin 795, but I really like the little rifle, I think it is plenty accurate so far. If I upgrade my rifle down the road, I won't have to upgrade the scope too.

There are some rifles not even worthy of putting a scope on at all. Having a scope and ring package that cost more than the rifle is not hard to do either.
So fast my less than expensive rifles have benefited from better optics than low level walmart (or for me sears and kmart) . Never has a cheap scope really done well by me.

More than half of all my scopes are 2nd hand
25%. Came with rifles I bought
20% bought new with deep discounts. Clearance, NOS, discontinued ectect.

I bought 3 new scopes in the past few years. For specific use.

It's in my "cart". I usually wait until there's enough to get free shipping. I think there is now, and I will pull the trigger on that tonight. I think I had the wrong one in there at first, then the right one without the rings.

Here's what I have now. Is the "Truplex" the right reticle?:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EHUE00/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
The right reticle....that is the question.
Is it right for you? Its about as simple as reticles get besides a straight cross hair.
TRuplex/duplex is a style of crosshair. I will say made famous by Weaver way way back with 30/30 scope.
In its simplest definition. The space between the thick portions of the cross hairs would cover 30" at 100yd OR what ever the manufacture determined it would be...
This is called "subtension" manufactures are not always good at providing this info. Especially on the budget scopes.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGcLzW6XGCM

Now the concept of the 30/30 reticle @ 100 yards a 30" target will fit inbetween the fat lines. You now have a range finder. On 4 X it remains constant but with variable MagX it will change. Unless the manufacture states other wise most scope subtensions are set/true on highest magX settng
30/30, duplex, Truplex all are the same concept but the subtensions might be different

Scopes for that money usually give the rest of your guns creep AIDS in the safe. I wouldn't buy a single scope ring for that kinda dough. I don't care what anyone says, if you want to hit shit and your optic to last longer than 250 rounds, you need something better. End of fairy tale.

Thanks frenchman, you buying? Anyhow, that seems contrary to what most have written about them here, and the scopes' reviews. They seem decent for the job. Also, this is one reason I want a fixed, not variable, magnification. Remember, these are full sized scopes, not the skinny "rimfire" ones.

I know, right? So, if you can't trust the picture, is any of the Amazon product correct? THIS is why I buy stuff online only maybe twice a year.

I know, right? So, if you can't trust the picture, is any of the Amazon product correct? THIS is why I buy stuff online only maybe twice a year.
Heck could even be bootleg simmons scope.!
Just go to nearest walmart or gun shop and buy any $30 4X scope none are really better/worse than the others and if you put several side by side they are the same. Plastic/thin aluminum with plastic guts . Often the glass is plastic too.
Have fun.
theres also used scopes. I have a thing for early tasco and weavers well before that "vintage" tag comes along.

One thing many have not keyed in on.
Just becareful when tightening the rings 15inlb is about all you need. Its easy to squish these cheap thin tubes this can keep the turrets from adjusting

Last edited:
Scopes for that money usually give the rest of your guns creep AIDS in the safe. I wouldn't buy a single scope ring for that kinda dough. I don't care what anyone says, if you want to hit shit and your optic to last longer than 250 rounds, you need something better. End of fairy tale.
I know alot of people with simmons scopes.
Most think hitting a can at 25 yards is precision shooting and if they get 250 rounds through their gun ......well I will be shocked.
The market is full of cheap scopes that see little use. Manufactures know this. They also know 90% will just toss it in the trash when it fails regardless of warranty.
I run the spectrum of scopes. I still have classic 4X15s right to my newest Sightron. They all have quirks and limits.
Most sub $80 scopes are "get it zeroed and leave it alone"
As the turrets suck, track poorly and eventually will fail if your always fiddling with them.
BUT sometimes cheap scopes have their place. i have them on my "loaner or new shooter 22s and AR" because eventually new shooter will drop or roll gun off the sand bags. If a good scope is going to get F'D I want to be the one doing it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI9ZsX1pXnM

I will add that cheap rings will be more of a problem than people like to think.

Last edited:
+1
Bought my Simmons 22 mag for under $30. Its holds zero, has great glass for its price range, haven't had any fogging issues in all kinds of weather, and for $30 or less if you don't like it your not out lot of cash. I'd be surprised if you didn't like it though.

I've taken mine out to 200 yards(50yard zero) and was able to consistently hit a 12 inch steel plate from bench. It doesn't have hold overs, but once you get the Kentucky windage right, you can keep hitting all day long.

This is my response from a very similar thread back in November of 2017. About a year and a half later I would still highly recommend the Simmons 22 mag. I have put at least another 1000 rounds through the rifle since then and the scope is still holding zero. Admittedly I haven’t touched the turrets since setting it up so I can’t comment on how the well they hold up with lots of adjustments, but then again I haven’t needed to either. I’ve taken it out in low light conditions without issues. No it’s not a great night time scope, but surprisingly did fairly well with the sun almost completely down.

For under $30 a piece I would buy two and not have to swap them between rifles. Figure out your zero and leave it alone. Kentucky windage isn’t that hard to figure out on a 22 within 200 yards let alone much closer. Yes, at 200 yards you will be aiming up...a lot! I think average would be just shy of 4’ which on a 12” target is pretty easy to figure out. And no I don’t claim to be a marksman.

BTW mine is the 3-9X

I would never consider shooting a .22 at 200 yards, so that isn't a problem. Our range only goes to 120 yards, tops, and I wouldn't hunt anything with a .22 even at 100 yards. At 100 yards, I can barely see the metal "gong" type target, so that would be a good use for this, as well as getting more accurate in the 40-100 yard range. I have no intentions of touching "turrets" once this thing is set up. Yes, it will see lots of use. Not sure how well it will hold up to banging around, but then again, I'd rather NOT bang around a $200 scope either!

The only reason this thread still lives is the weird discrepancies of Amazon and their pictures/prices/packages/descriptions. If I saw a Simmons 4X one piece in a store, I'd buy it, but I haven't.

Yeah, I wouldn’t recommend shooting 22lr out to 200 yards often, but it can be done and is fun occasionally. That being said I would agree with you that I would never hunt at anywhere close to that range with a 22lr. It just wouldn’t be accurate enough and the ballistics would make for a very messy kill or most likely an even worse injury.

Yeah, I wouldn’t recommend shooting 22lr out to 200 yards often, but it can be done and is fun occasionally. That being said I would agree with you that I would never hunt at anywhere close to that range with a 22lr. It just wouldn’t be accurate enough and the ballistics would make for a very messy kill or most likely an even worse injury.
Hunting at long distance with 22lr is not fun. Honestly other than wide open space I dont think I would see 22lr size game much past 50.
Shooting 22lr at 200 yards is a lot of fun. OCSA has a 200 yard off hand league and theres a lot of 22lr on the line.
i have a lot of fun shooting my 72 year old 513T with redfield match sights at 200 yards. Now if the wind picks up it can become very challenging.
i seldom shoot 22lr inside 50 yards anymore unless im shooting a specific course of fire or limited by range distance.

Just go to nearest walmart or gun shop and buy any $30 4X scope none are really better/worse than the others and if you put several side by side they are the same. Plastic/thin aluminum with plastic guts . Often the glass is plastic too.
(I wonder what miracle substance they cheap out on
instead of using plastic for their plastic).

One thing many have not keyed in on.
Just becareful when tightening the rings 15inlb is about all you need. Its easy to squish these cheap thin tubes this can keep the turrets from adjusting
I have the ugly feeling that people crushing scope tube is a real thing.

The moral equivalent of using longer than spec. machine screws to mount a radio,
and having the screw dig in to the PC board inside the chassis.

Even (especially?) the manual for my TruGlo 3-9x40 $30 special from FS sez:
...Carefully tighten the screws and double check that you have enough distance between
your eye and the scope to avoid contact under recoil and that the scope’s vertical and
horizontal is aligned with your firearm/crossbow. (DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN MOUNTING
HARDWARE. MAX. TORQUE 20 INCH LBS.) For additional security, a drop of thread-locking fluid can be added to the screws before final tightening.​

Bolding theirs.

Made me really nervous that I should be bringing the scope and rings
to my dentist's, to borrow his torque wrench.

Just throwing my .02 in on Simmons scopes...
I've never used one on a .22 but I have a Winchester 1200 12 gauge I bought from a fellow NES'er several years back, and it came with a Simmons shotgun scope already mounted. The previous owner said he'd taken countless deer with that gun, and I've already taken three deer with it. I've never once had to adjust the scope, and considering it's mounted to the gun with one of those bulky, awkward-looking B-Square mounts, which has been removed from the gun several times for cleaning at the end of each deer season, that's pretty damn good. I have made some pretty tough shots on fast-moving deer with that setup and I swear by that inexpensive scope.

Dammit now I'm thinking about deer season.

I have a Winchester 1200 12 gauge I bought from a fellow NES'er several years back, and it came with a Simmons shotgun scope already mounted. The previous owner said he'd taken countless deer with that gun, and I've already taken three deer with it.
Sounds like you get a deer every time you look through the scope.

Are you sure he didn't just paint a picture of a deer on the objective?

Kind of like handing someone a View-Master
pre-loaded with the Bambi disc,
and telling them it's a pair of binoculars?
72766bf1398cd536bb517a476ebb383d.jpg

Sounds like you get a deer every time you look through the scope.

My luck will run out eventually I'm sure. My very first day deer hunting, a young buck walked right out of some tall marsh grass and just stared at me. BANG. "Holy shit, deer hunting is easy!" I thought. Ha! It was never that easy again.

The scope arrived today. It looked like the picture withOUT the extra knurling turny-thing. Funny thing is, the picture on the paperwork inside was the one WITH the extra knurling turny-thing, which was NOT what was in the box. Anyhow, mounted it to the pellet gun for now, since that is propped up by the back door. Mounted up just fine, and plenty solid. Needs LOTS of adjustment though. I probably will NOT do those adjustments, because it is probably the pellet gun plastic base that is off, not so much the scope .

Back
Top Bottom