• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cheap scope for rimfire

Yote,
No. All mine correlated with .22LR. I think Simmons used the "MAG" to make people think it is a beefier design.
Their "Truplex" reticle is a typical crosshair style and does not have the caliber-dependent multi-reticle lines.
It is an inexpensive, entry-level scope that is very dependable, fairly durable and capable of most "household" chores.

~Matt

product_riflescope_511033.jpg
Bromleys-Sighting-In-Your-Crossbow-4-14.jpg
take a few minutes to figure out the subtension of the duplex reticle and you will have a nice little range finder and BDC info.

Wasn't this called "Kentucky windage" in the old days? That or the more simple "hold-over"? Why make it out to be anything more complicated?

I have 10-22 and just got a 17HMR Savage, so looking for scope that will be easy to transfer between the two.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019SU7KCS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2PC3I60T9IP88&psc=1

Main reason is that it has fixed base so it is very easy to put on and remove. It is cheap crap otherwise but it should hold zero on a 22LR right?

I have this Mueller with Adjustable Objective on my Sig 522 - the AO is great for sub 100 yard ranges. 4.5-14x is good for 100 yards cause at 14x you can see the rounds hitting.

https://www.adorama.com/mumt451440.html

You should be able to get it for closer to $140 on Ebay, if you wait for a coupon.

Wasn't this called "Kentucky windage" in the old days? That or the more simple "hold-over"? Why make it out to be anything more complicated?
If you know what any scope even the cross hair thickness subtension are you can make more accurate Kentucky windage even with the front sight.
I know some pretty back country folks, you know “one gun” type of folks. They all are darn good at reading wind and knowing thier dope be it iron sights or scopes

Thanks AbleOrder283 and Welcome to NorthEastShooters!
~Matt

No thanks. I think I have about 3 of those, all taken off pellet guns. The iron sights were clearer and more accurate.
you wanted CHEEP!
Go to walmart and take your pick of tasco,centerpoints and CVlife scopes they have under 50

I have the simmons 22mag, the fixed 4x variety. Very good scope for how little it costs. Eye relief is good, image clarity is good. The "clicks" on the adjustment are petty mushy and not as positive as you might hope. I don't know how well it would take to swapping rifles, I leave mine mounted long term. You can certainly get a better scope, but you'll have to be willing to pay for it.

For the record,
Four Seasons has previously carried the
"TruGlo 3-9x40 Black TruShot Rifle Scope With Weaver Style Rings"
for $40-$30 (targeted at 10/22's).
I don't see it among the optics products on their current Accessories page,
but I don't know whether they have any in stock anyhow.
61JnsLusKNL._SL1500_.jpg

It probably exceeds what my rudimentary and untutored marksmanship
can squeeze out of our 10/22 Takedown.

In particular, the TruGlo has held zero on the Takedown at least as well as I can -
in marked contrast to the bargain basement red/green dot reflex sight on our target .22 pistol.

I'm fond of the aluminum Weaver Quad-Loc 1" Mediums # 49046...
Short money, rock solid.
$11 bucks, free ship.
https://www.amazon.com/Weaver-1-Inch-Medium-Detachable-Rings/dp/B004NCHB9O

iu

These look a little complicated and "busy" to me. Is there a slightly smaller, lighter, less bulky offering, with just a single strap per end?

cheap optics are a waste of $. i rarely use magnified optics on a 22LR, but if so I would go with the leupold 4x rimfire for sure...and i am not generally a leupold fan.

Leupold FX-I Rimfire Rifle Scope 4x 28mm Fine Duplex - MPN: 58680

This looks like what I want, but way out of the price range. This cost more than the gun itself, which defeats the purpose.

I am surprised there are not more basic 4X scopes available any more. Everything is zoom, which equals moving parts, which to me is a weakness. I just want a simple tube with some decent glass. This Leupold is good. There are some Redfields which are heading in the right direction, but all are zoom/variable.

It looks like I will do the Simmons 22 Mag. Does anyone know if there are differing versions of this, or are they all the same? The price varies from $28 up to about $43, on what looks like the same scope. If it works out, maybe I'll try it on the black powder gun as well. (Are these "rated" for that use?)

Last edited:
Yoye33, I added a link to my post above... ^

PS. The Simmons .22MAG comes with a set of rings that work just fine.
Just make sure you have a 3/8" dovetail rail on your 10/22

product_riflescope_511033.jpg

You can also get a combo rail in 3/8" dovetail/ Weaver-Picatinny for like $8 bucks...

iu

Last edited:
These look a little complicated and "busy" to me. Is there a slightly smaller, lighter, less bulky offering, with just a single strap per end?

This looks like what I want, but way out of the price range. This cost more than the gun itself, which defeats the purpose.

I am surprised there are not more basic 4X scopes available any more. Everything is zoom, which equals moving parts, which to me is a weakness. I just want a simple tube with some decent glass. This Leupold is good. There are some Redfields which are heading in the right direction, but all are zoom/variable.

It looks like I will do the Simmons 22 Mag. Does anyone know if there are differing versions of this, or are they all the same? The price varies from $28 up to about $43, on what looks like the same scope. If it works out, maybe I'll try it on the black powder gun as well. (Are these "rated" for that use?)
The 4x has faded because 12,16,18,24,32,50X is "better"
Also with more people (IMHO) buying guns to shoot targets vs hunting these days 4x just seems so , well 4x. Dont get me wrong I grew up on 4x scopes myself. Theres still plenty of 4x scopes out there. Although the low MagX scopes have given way to red dots and such.
Heres a few hundred options
4x scopes | eBay

Dont discount used scopes either , poke and ask around at gun shops. You might be surprised whats in that box they pull out of a cluttered corner.

Last edited:
I don't want the weight and size of those bigger scopes. I don't want the extra moving parts of the variable zoom ones. Simple, light, solid. Clear, bright, crisp. Don't need much more than 4X for a .22 usually (within 100 yards).

I don't want the weight and size of those bigger scopes. I don't want the extra moving parts of the variable zoom ones. Simple, light, solid. Clear, bright, crisp. Don't need much more than 4X for a .22 usually (within 100 yards).
I have a few of these both on air rifles and 22s. Its parallax setting is 35 yards so it great for 10-50 yards. its small enough and light enough. I have had one of these on my go to garden gun for several years now.
The rings are sorta shit but so are almost any free rings. I have rings on most of my "cheap" set ups that cost more than the scope. Cheap scopes are a problem in thier own right no need to really further those issues with crappy rings.

How bad can it be? It is a piece of rounded metal you tighten down with a screw. You really can't overthink this.

How bad can it be? It is a piece of rounded metal you tighten down with a screw. You really can't overthink this.
Cheap rings suck worse than cheap scopes, they dont tighten even , the 3/8 style weaver rings dont like to grab the rail, the rail can really suck to. Alot of the free rings are so poorly made your scope will move and sometimes distort the tube.

It looks like I will do the Simmons 22 Mag. Does anyone know if there are differing versions of this, or are they all the same? The price varies from $28 up to about $43, on what looks like the same scope.

Coyote, was wondering if you bought the Simmons scope, and if so, what you thought of it?

I am in the same boat as you, interested in weight and clarity and will concede the variable zoom to get it.

Just to add,
I helped my friend mount and zero his sons Busnell Banner 4x32 on his XT22yr model. He already bought the DIP scope mount and Rail style rings vs just the classic rimfire 3/8 rings.
For $40 it was plenty clear enough.
Down side is its definitely a get it zeroed and leave the turrets alone. Mushy feeling and false clicks , but thats what $40 bucks gets you. Held zero with in a few minutes at 25 yards. Honestly cant tell if amko or scope. Thats all his son wants. He is shooting at 25 yard silhouette targets only.
At the end of it we checked zero with the CCI SV he has the most of and it was only slightly off the original “poa”
The rifle, scope and ammo was shooting nice consistent groups. My friend says when his son is done with the 3500 rounds of CCI SV he will let me give it a inspection

I will also add his son beat us both in the final shoot off son 14/20 dad 9/20 me 11/20
Off hand those chickens get really small

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom