Challenging question...

OK Here is an interesting discussion. You are limited to ONE gun and ONE gun only. You will carry concealed, use for home defense, and shoot recreationally. What do you choose??? Changing barrels is not allowed.
This is thought provoking, but after thinking about it, I'm glad I don't have to make this choice for real.

Hmmm....that would be tough one to make. Well...since it would also be for protection - I'd say a .40. (I can still reload for target shooting, right? [lol] [wink] )

1 Gun

My 4013TSW... [shock]

Or my 1911..Spare parts galore, very easy to repair and ammo available anywhere in the world...

[shock]

Don't have to think about it.

My Ruger P90 in .45ACP. Butt-ugly and 100% reliable. No safety, it's a DA with a decocker so I can carry one in the chamber and shoot the first in DA and the rest SA (what Col Cooper calls a "crunchen-ticker", I think).

Ross

my decision

After sleeping on it, I think S&W 4013TSW is a great choice narrowly
bettered only by a Sig 229 in .40SW. Although a Glock 23 is not bad either. Then again an argument could be made for a Commander sized LDA Para. Come to think of it, the Beretta Vertec is nice too...

...why do I think up such stupid questions.................

Carry

I carried a 1911 Commander off duty for a short time. It wasn't very comfortable in my opinion. I went through everything from a Det. Spec., PPK/S. Model 39 and finally when the 4013 came out, I picked up one of those. (Hey, they were all tax writeoffs). The 4013TSW had one of the best out of the box triggers I ever felt. Even better after a few hundred rounds. It is small enough and light enough to not be a great bother. Leather gear was a problem at first. I never liked my 3913 but loved this one. [shock]

I'd have to stick with my Walther P99 with my 16 round hi-caps. It's a great CCW, accurate, and fun to shoot...It was my first purchase after getting my LTC, and I'll hold on to it.

dreppucci007 said:
I'd have to stick with my Walther P99

I'll have to agree with you on that one.

It was between that & the 1911. Although I've heard the new XD .45 ACP is pretty nice.

XD45

I just saw the promo on the XD45. I'd be real interested in getting a closer look at it. Seems like they will be in short supply for a while. [shock]

SW CS45

cs45.jpg

I shoot it pretty good - sometimes

target.jpg

If limited to just one handgun for me I'd go retro: An S&W 686 .357 with a four inch barrel.

The reasons:

It is concealable for me, although not optimally so. It can be done though, been there, done that.

A wide choice of ammunition: everything from .38 Spl wadcutters, to extremely hot .357 magnum rounds. Ammo in the United States is almost universally available. The .357 caliber in all its various loadings has taken virtually all critters (4 and 2 legged) known on the North American continent. Yeah, I know, I wouldn't want to face a grizzly with just a .357 or shoot a buffalo, but it has been done (although by better shots than me, I'm sure :) )

Proven reliability, both the gun and the caliber (.357 125gr hollow points are proven defense rounds)

If I couldn't get my hands on a S&W, then a Ruger GP100 although it is bulkier than the Smith for concealed carry. I wouldn't rule out a Colt Python either, except being the actions aren't as robust as the other two and they can go out of time easier.

As Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch says: "Revolvers are real guns."

Mark

I assume that the idea here is that your "One Gun Only" would be a handgun. I only say that because in the grand scheme of things, a rifle would be far more useful.

Anyway...

One handgun... Geeze...

Right now, it would have to be a SIG 239 in .40.

First, it fits my hand like no other gun does (although I do plan to try to get som ework done on my 1911 to make that work better for me)

Second, it is as reliable as the sun coming up every day.

Third, it can shoot just about any bullet profile and style I want from lead ball to jacketed hollowpoints.

Fourth, the factory is in NH and a fairly quick ride if I need a part.

Sixth, I already have it.

Seventh, Did i mention its reliable?

Eighth, It hides well on me in various modes and holster types.

Ninth, Cheaper to feed than a .500 Magnum not to mention it's legal for IDPA unlike the big 500.

Tenth, I just bought a case of ammo and two new mags for it for IDPA this year. (^_^)

mark056 said:
If limited to just one handgun for me I'd go retro: An S&W 686 .357 with a four inch barrel.

Well... if I still had my Mod 19, I'd have gone with that. But I don't have that level of trust in my "new" Mod 66 yet. Just doesn't feel like mine yet...

But I still trust my Ruger.

The Glock 19 I have now. Yes, it's 9mm, but if you can shoot, it will get the job done. A Glock 23 would possibly be a better choice.

But then, I AM a Glockoholic.

Back
Top Bottom