Central MA Gun Ranges w/ Firearm Storage?

Incorrect. I completely understand the "my house, my rules" thing. If storing it away from the house is what you want to do then by all means, do it. But please, don't spread the lies that keeping it outside of the house makes it less likely for your kids to get to the firearm. That's just ludicrous (not the rapper). If the fear of your kids getting a hold of a gun while locked in a safe is a concern to you, then you probably shouldn't allow any power tools in the house, only use safety Sporks as utensils, and throw away anything that could be a choking hazard. I'm guessing you use a lot of hand sanitizer and wipe everything down with Lysol too.

It's interesting that you say this, as it's one of the things that really holds back these discussions, I think.

I'm not trying to "spread lies." I don't think there's any question about the fact that kids are less likely to get their hands on a gun if there isn't one in the house. As I mentioned, there's probably just a minimal difference between a gun that's stored in a (quality) safe that nosy kids can't open and one that's stored away from the house. Most people are willing to accept that slight risk differential. I probably would be. My wife isn't, apparently. Not a big deal to me, for reasons I've already mentioned.

For example, let's talk about power tools, since it's a less touchy subject. I definitely agree that a kid who is taught to appreciate and understand the responsibility and risks involved with operating power tools is less likely to get hurt than a kid who was given no exposure to them, but that assumes that both of these kids come in contact with power tools. There's no question that a kid who doesn't ever have access to power tools is less likely to get hurt by them, as that situation isn't supposed to ever happen. The thing power tool aficionados would argue is this: Should a kid ever come in contact with power tools, it's best that they know how to stay safe near them. I don't tend to argue this, it's just not an approach I plan to take with my family.

Make sense?

There's no question that a kid who doesn't ever have access to power tools is less likely to get hurt by them, as that situation isn't supposed to ever happen. The thing power tool aficionados would argue is this: Should a kid ever come in contact with power tools, it's best that they know how to stay safe near them. I don't tend to argue this, it's just not an approach I plan to take with my family.

Make sense?
That wasn't supposed to happen!
....Famous last words

"not an approach I plan to take with my family"

This is why people are flaming, not because you're just making a choice on where to store your personal property, but because you seem to be fostering ignorance which really helps nobody and could be seen to be a detriment to others. To spell it out: in addition to the obvious safety concerns caused by ignorance in any subject, the result of apathy and ignorance on this subject is viewed to most here as fostering people that will happily vote away everybody's 2nd amendment guaranteed rights the first time some politician promises them something in return.

Though I don't really agree with him, I have to commend the OP for replying to the critics.

Mike, I hope you can find a way to keep shooting, however it happens.

It's interesting that you say this, as it's one of the things that really holds back these discussions, I think.

I'm not trying to "spread lies." I don't think there's any question about the fact that kids are less likely to get their hands on a gun if there isn't one in the house. As I mentioned, there's probably just a minimal difference between a gun that's stored in a (quality) safe that nosy kids can't open and one that's stored away from the house. Most people are willing to accept that slight risk differential. I probably would be. My wife isn't, apparently. Not a big deal to me, for reasons I've already mentioned.

For example, let's talk about power tools, since it's a less touchy subject. I definitely agree that a kid who is taught to appreciate and understand the responsibility and risks involved with operating power tools is less likely to get hurt than a kid who was given no exposure to them, but that assumes that both of these kids come in contact with power tools. There's no question that a kid who doesn't ever have access to power tools is less likely to get hurt by them, as that situation isn't supposed to ever happen. The thing power tool aficionados would argue is this: Should a kid ever come in contact with power tools, it's best that they know how to stay safe near them. I don't tend to argue this, it's just not an approach I plan to take with my family.

Make sense?

No, actually, it doesn't.

Does your kid ever go over to a friend's house? Guess what, there are power tools in the homes of his friends. Even if you have no power tools in your house, that doesn't mean he won't come into contact with them.

Same for guns. Chances are there are guns in one out of three of the homes that your kid visits. And guess what? Some of those folks might not be storing them according to MA law.

Your kid will come into contact with guns, whether you like it or not. When that happens, do you want them to be armed with safety knowledge or not?

Is the best way to keep a kid safe from drowning to keep them away from water? Or to teach them how to swim?

No, actually, it doesn't.

Does your kid ever go over to a friend's house? Guess what, there are power tools in the homes of his friends. Even if you have no power tools in your house, that doesn't mean he won't come into contact with them.

Same for guns. Chances are there are guns in one out of three of the homes that your kid visits. And guess what? Some of those folks might not be storing them according to MA law.

Your kid will come into contact with guns, whether you like it or not. When that happens, do you want them to be armed with safety knowledge or not?

Is the best way to keep a kid safe from drowning to keep them away from water? Or to teach them how to swim?

Please reread my post. We're saying the exact same thing.

Though I don't really agree with him, I have to commend the OP for replying to the critics.

Mike, I hope you can find a way to keep shooting, however it happens.

+1 Hi Mike,

Even though we may disagree on the gun/range issue. I like to applaud your calmness. You express yourself nicely. No matter where you end up storing your firearm, please consider teaching and training the Mrs. I love to go shooting with my wife. We do some friendly competition at the range...so that means I am always buying her dinner at a place of her choosing.

Teaching/Training=much less fear

I have to respect Mike for pursuing his interest yet respecting his wife's feelings and concern for his kids.
First, give the wife some info and a few range trips. Don't scare her away with a .44 mag, but do basic safety and skills stuff with a .22.
Not sure of the kids age, but I had kids and handguns (many years ago) and made sure I taught them in the same way. Now all three know the skills and occasionally shoot with me.
Storage? A V-line or Safari type simplex lock box, bolted to the bottom of the top drawer of a file cabinet--impossible to remove (except for the whole damn drawer), and requiring dexterity to open the lid can discourage untrained (non Eddie Eagled) kids and allow a wife to feel more secure. Both kids and wife need to be helped through the process of having a firearm in the house.
It is possible, many thousands have done it, are still married and have safe kids.
Wish Mike luck, maybe invite him and his wife to join you at the range.

Make sense?

I appreciate that you aren't losing your cool over this. I try to come off as a smartass because I feel like it lightens the discussion a bit. Hopefully you can laugh at some of the things I say rather than take them offensively.

Anyway. Maybe I should phrase it as, your kid isn't any more likely to get ahold of a firearm with it stored outside of your home versus in the home locked in a safe. The ability of them being able to get to the firearm is based solely on your responsibility. That's how I felt when my wife reacted the way yours did, I felt that she didn't trust me, or find me responsible enough to store the firearm correctly. Now it's not even a discussion and she wouldn't think twice about trusting me with a firearm.

But it's honestly a question you have to ask yourself, what part of this doesn't she trust? The gun, or you?

OP - Im a landlord and have been for years. I dont ask if anyone has firearms nor would I expect them to give me answer. A small safe secured in your closet would likely be best. It does not have you doing remod work, it is safe, your kids cant get in and your wife can sleep easy. I have to say if that doesnt satisfy the wife you might want to think about giving up on the sport. Actually Im surprised you were able to obtain them with that thinking, being you have kids Ill assume youve been married for some time. Last ditch effort might be to ask a friend who has a gun respecting household with a safe to hold them for you. So you cannot have the guns in the house, but you can own them and spend money to join a club to shoot at? Odd, quite odd.

- - - Updated - - -

How are you currently storing your gun?

This!!!!!

Maybe the post should have been:
I am a firearm owner and live a place where my firearms are not desired by the landlord nor my wife, Both want nothing to do with them at all. I am looking for a place to store my wife and landlord so I can freely exercise my choice to enjoy the sport of shooting..... :)

Last edited:
Last ditch effort might be to ask a friend who has a gun respecting household with a safe to hold them for you.

This is what I have been doing. My next door neighbor is retired, has an LTC, and has a safe. Looks like it's going to end up being the easiest long-term solution, for the time being.

Another option would be to field strip the gun and separate the parts. You would still have it available to take to the range, it would be 100% child proof and still in your control and probably would satisfy the wife. Another option, but probably a pain would be a safe deposit box but I would check on the legality first.
To answer your original question, I know of no ranges with lockers in the Central MA area.

I also commend you for staying calm. One thing you will find out if you are here for any length of time is there are not simple questions, someone will always make it into something it isnt.

So bottom line, you're willing to let her overrule your thoughts because she's being completely irrational? [laugh] That might make sense that one day of the month but if you have to live with that every day, my condolences to you.

Make sense?

Yes, so when they go to someone else's house, and have no clue about them (and eventually, you will have no control over this, or you'll lose control when they get old enough) and then someone else does something stupid with one while they are there, they could still possibly get hurt. Sounds like an awesome risk management plan.

Like M1911 said earlier... which do you think is a smarter idea? Teaching your kids how to swim, or getting them to be afraid of the pool/water? The latter sucks pretty badly when some ******* "friend" decides to shove them into the water. Same thing is true for guns and other things/situations that can be dangerous. If you don't teach them how to deal with them properly they can get hurt because they don't know any
better other than a bunch of trash they see on television.

Not to get too far off course but that is a huge part of the reason why this country is so ****ed up now- because nobody wants to bother teaching their kids life skills and street smarts anymore, or how to do basic things like ride a bicycle or swim, or use hand and power tools safely, or to use firearms, knives, etc... or other "weapony, killy" things safely. I sound like a cumudgeon when I say this but I'm not even that old.

I just find the whole "We can avoid teaching our kids about guns just by keeping them away from them" thing to be kinda mind numbing/boggling.

-Mike

Last edited:
Is the building a small one--like a 3-decker--with the landlord living in one of the adjacent units? Someone who's not knowledgeable about guns might be fearful of a ND coming through a wall/floor/ceiling and striking a member of their household. (The media certainly gives plenty of attention to people who injure themselves doing foolish or careless things with guns.)

But it's honestly a question you have to ask yourself, what part of this doesn't she trust? The gun, or you?

This, plus a billion. If its the former the problem can often be solved by a little compassion and education....

if its the latter....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm back. Guys, this isn't a question of trust. Accidents happen, even to those with the best of intentions.

Anyway, things are pretty much worked out. I have a small safe secured to the floor at my neighbor's house, a larger safe at my house for ammunition, accessories, etc., and I went to MFS and joined for the year. I'm pretty happy with the result. My wife and I went to the range today to try out the VP9, and I'm really pleased with it. I'm excited to shoot some more and improve. She seemed to have a good time (we've both only been to the range 3-4 times), and I think she'll go again.

I'm back. Guys, this isn't a question of trust. Accidents happen, even to those with the best of intentions.

It's always a question of trust.

Does your wife trust you doing other dangerous things with your kids? Like transporting them in an automobile? If the answer is "no" then at least she's being ideologically consistent. IF the answer is yes, then she's just being an irrational hypocrite.

Regardless I'm glad you found a solution that worked for you.

-Mike

Might make a lot more sense in your case just to get rid of the gun(s). [thinking]

Might be a decent option. If the OP is not really into shooting other than every great once in a while, doesn't particularly care to have them at home for defense and doesn't want to piss of the wife, maybe he should just sell them and pocket some cash. Besides, why pay storage fees for them? Waste of money.

OP there are ranges that rent guns if you're just a once in a while type shooter. But I agree with others. Just buy a small safe, educate the wife and be done with it. Have you ever taken her to the range? Maybe she'll change her tune once she finds out how fun it is. Doesn't work for everyone but worth a try.

OP, I think the main reason for all this back-and-forth is that most of us would like for you to understand why your landlord doesn't need to know about your guns and why proper home storage eliminates the risk of your kids (or wife or anyone else) getting their hands on your guns. Once you understand these things, you may want to do whatever you please. It's very important to dispel ideas such as yours that "accidents happen" on their own because such arguments are often used to push for new gun control laws when, in fact, they are false. Your choice is your choice but please make sure that it's a highly educated choice and not borne out of emotion, whether yours or your wife's.

And you've lasted more than most so far, good job! [laugh]

OP, I think the main reason for all this back-and-forth is that most of us would like for you to understand why your landlord doesn't need to know about your guns and why proper home storage eliminates the risk of your kids (or wife or anyone else) getting their hands on your guns. Once you understand these things, you may want to do whatever you please. It's very important to dispel ideas such as yours that "accidents happen" on their own because such arguments are often used to push for new gun control laws when, in fact, they are false. Your choice is your choice but please make sure that it's a highly educated choice and not borne out of emotion, whether yours or your wife's.

And you've lasted more than most so far, good job! [laugh]

I think I have a pretty solid understanding of where the risks may or may not be.

I think humans have a tendency to shift their reasoning based on their opinions. I try to be as objective as possible. For example, it'd be hard to argue the fact that, if automobiles didn't exist, there wouldn't be any automobile accidents. Of course, that's scenario is impractical and ridiculous. The vast majority of us accept the risk of driving (or using automobiles as a passenger) on a daily basis. Let's take that a step further. If my family decided to totally forgo transport via automobile, we'd be less likely to be involved in an automobile accident, even though others have them. Hell, we might even see them passing us as we walk on the sidewalk. We're still less likely to be involved in an accident.

It frustrates me that gun owners don't think this logic applies to them. Obviously, it applies to millions of other activities and things we have sitting in our homes, and we accept those risks daily. But, for some reason, this segment of the population refuses to acknowledge that there's a legitimate (but probably minimal) increase in risk. Instead, we hear things like "Well, balance that with what you can do when some thug busts through your door," or "I lock my stuff up and will never, ever get distracted and miss a step of that lock-up process," or whatever. In all other aspects of our lives, we acknowledge that accidents happen, and not always due to intentional acts of negligence.

Guess what? I have taken an objective look at the equation, and I've decided that I still want to own a gun (or two or ten). I'm not a communist. I'm not a pussy. My wife doesn't keep my balls in a jar. But, I'm definitely going to be honest with myself about the situation. As I've said, this isn't a "cause," in my eyes. I get that, for many of you, it is. That's fine. But, the logical parts of the discussion still need to exist.

You are free, as an adult, to make your own decisions.

The others, here, are free to make theirs, as well.

You came to a forum inhabited by a high-percentage of persons that believe that personal freedom, and personal responsibility, come with an inherent risk, and that it is acceptable for them.

Not to speak for others, but while I acknowledge that accidents can happen, the additional risk that is incurred by the free exercise of choice is acceptable.

I wear a seatbelt, not because it's the law, but because it's the smart thing to do.
I wear a helmet when I ride a motorcycle, not because it's the law, but because it's the smart thing to do
I wear eyes and ears at the range, and I look before I cross the street.

And, I taught my kids, beginning at a very young age, appropriate firearm safety. Also, seatbelt, crossing the street, knives, and fire.

If you go to a Harley rider's bar, and say that Yamaha rules, you will get a strong difference of opinion.

And, if you're in Mass.....it is a cause, whether you like it or not, as gun owners are an oppressed minority.

Good shooting.

Thanks for chiming in. I'm surprised this is uncommon here in MA.

I'm looking to do this for a few reasons:

- I have two small children, and my wife has expressed some concern about having guns in the house, locked up or not.
- My landlord has asked (politely) to not keep guns in the property.
- I'm planning to only shoot at the range, anyway.

1. get a new wife
2. move
3. you should keep your handgun loaded on your person

kidding......well.....not really

You are free, as an adult, to make your own decisions.

The others, here, are free to make theirs, as well.

You came to a forum inhabited by a high-percentage of persons that believe that personal freedom, and personal responsibility, come with an inherent risk, and that it is acceptable for them.

Not to speak for others, but while I acknowledge that accidents can happen, the additional risk that is incurred by the free exercise of choice is acceptable.

I wear a seatbelt, not because it's the law, but because it's the smart thing to do.
I wear a helmet when I ride a motorcycle, not because it's the law, but because it's the smart thing to do
I wear eyes and ears at the range, and I look before I cross the street.

And, I taught my kids, beginning at a very young age, appropriate firearm safety. Also, seatbelt, crossing the street, knives, and fire.

If you go to a Harley rider's bar, and say that Yamaha rules, you will get a strong difference of opinion.

And, if you're in Mass.....it is a cause, whether you like it or not, as gun owners are an oppressed minority.

Good shooting.

I'll add to Mr.happy's statement here with a quote that I live my life by......and to the op you should ponder this as well:

"I'd rather die a free man with a bad hip too many scars and eyes wide open than live as a member of a flock that thinks someone else can save me from scary things"
bottom line.....I own guns.....lots of guns........and treat them with respect and common sense safety....and teach my son the same.......we shoot and hunt often. I also keep guns because I refuse to be a member of the second part of the quote above. So.....keeping you guns locked up at off site storage is well........stupid. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I have a full understanding of how MA differs from other stats. But, in general, I think guns should be locked up unless under someone's direct control. Seems reasonable to me.

This is great advice that nobody should have to follow by law.....what I do with my guns in my home is my ****ing business

Anyway, things are pretty much worked out. I have a small safe secured to the floor at my neighbor's house, a larger safe at my house for ammunition, accessories, etc., and I went to MFS and joined for the year. I'm pretty happy with the result. My wife and I went to the range today to try out the VP9, and I'm really pleased with it. I'm excited to shoot some more and improve. She seemed to have a good time (we've both only been to the range 3-4 times), and I think she'll go again.

I just.....well......holy shit......have no clue how to even respond to this. For christs sake you don't even trust yourself enough to have a gun and ammo for it in the same home? What do you think having the handgun in your home in a safe that it will on its own find the ammo and load itself? For the love of all that is good and holy just sell the damn thing.

This thread is ridiculous. Let the guy do with his property what he wants.. I mean do I agree? No. But he is just asking around for a range with storage and he is getting lambasted.

FYI some don't really care to have a gun for protection. Maybe he lives in a quaint little town with no crime? Not everyone lives in the hood in Springfield ;). Sometimes they just want a little range toy and that's it. To each their own.

FYI some don't really care to have a gun for protection. Maybe he lives in a quaint little town with no crime? Not everyone lives in the hood in Springfield ;). Sometimes they just want a little range toy and that's it. To each their own.

This is exactly my situation.

This is part of the problem. I continually see stories like his cited as "it can happen to anyone" reasoning for home defense gun ownership. But, when someone posts an accident involving a kid or something, it's "that guy is an idiot and I would never allow that to happen." I don't know about you guys, but I've forgotten my wallet at home, or my phone at the office, or had some other accidental departure from my routine before. It can happen to anyone.

Back
Top Bottom