Central MA Gun Ranges w/ Firearm Storage?

OP. Whether you have strong feelings or not there are some things to keep in mind. 1) anyone who is ok with you owning a gun but 'doesn't want guns in the house' even if they're locked up is not really a rational person. - Take yourself through the thought process there and tell me how that can be deemed reasonable - 2) The fact that you have to come online and try to find a place to store your guns, potentially paying a fee, when all you need to do is by a small gun safe for about $50 makes no sense. None! 3) Are you going to take your kids out on the motorcycle?

Bolt a safe to the floor in your garage. Meets both requirements.... Not in the house and you have a place to keep them. Done.

Well that all depends on what he has. [thinking]

Only have one right now. H&K VP9.

- - - Updated - - -

Join mfs for 200ish a year and you can shoot for free and shoot any gun in their armory for free every time you go which is unlimited.

This is a really good idea, actually. I've been there to check out the store, and was very impressed.

mikevitz, from time to time in Mass. the idea has been floated for a state mandate that guns and ammunition be stored outside the home. What do you see as pluses and minuses of such a mandate?

mikevitz, from time to time in Mass. the idea has been floated for a state mandate that guns and ammunition be stored outside the home. What do you see as pluses and minuses of such a mandate?

I want to make sure I understand. When this idea comes up, the thought is to require licensed gun owners to store guns in a facility versus in their homes? Assuming that's the case, I'd be 100% against it. I think those that are licensed should have certain freedoms, so long as their firearms are stored safely. That includes me, despite my choice for storage not lining up with yours.

I've tried to make this clear, but I'll say it again to make sure the group understands: I'm not claiming that those who store their guns safely in their homes are irresponsible or putting their families at risk. In fact, I'm not saying anything remotely close to that, nor do I feel that way. I'm saying that, in my life, whether the gun guys consider it rational or not, it would be best to find a safe place to store my gun outside of my house.

do you have any issue at all with safe storage laws like in massachusetts? do you think that gun owners should be mandated by the state to store their firearms in certain ways?

i'll give you $350 for the VP9 btw. you can also store it in my safe in NH for $50/month.

do you have any issue at all with safe storage laws like in massachusetts? do you think that gun owners should be mandated by the state to store their firearms in certain ways?

i'll give you $350 for the VP9 btw. you can also store it in my safe in NH for $50/month.

I'm not sure I have a full understanding of how MA differs from other stats. But, in general, I think guns should be locked up unless under someone's direct control. Seems reasonable to me.

I'm not sure I have a full understanding of how MA differs from other stats. But, in general, I think guns should be locked up unless under someone's direct control. Seems reasonable to me.

ah, reasonable.

just a few commin sense gun laws.

an out yourself thread if ever there was one.

Do you not think those things are reasonable?

why do i need the government to tell me how to store my firearms?

what good is a gun if you have to run to a safe to get it when you need it? it's good that you don't think you need a gun in the house. must live in a nice neighborhood.

mont vernon is a nice little town, they didn't need a gun in the house, either.

have your wife read that article. my fiancee doesn't like it when i'm gone overnight but she knows that she's still protected because we have several firearms in the house that she's perfectly comfortable using. you need to get to the root of your wife's issue and help her come to terms with the irrational fear she has of firearms.

firearms are tools just like a hammer or a screwdriver, it's all about intent and how the tools are used.

I can't answer for JayMcB, but I can tell you what I think about that....no, it isn't reasonable. It's an infringement on my rights. I get nauseated everytime I hear someone mention "common sense" gun laws. They're not common sense, they're infringements and they are totally unacceptable.

Well, that's pretty much the communist viewpoint which has stripped more innocent people of their rights in MA than almost anything else. Even the states with child protection statutes are not nearly as onerous as MA is.

- - - Updated - - -

**** no.

I want to make sure I understand. When this idea comes up, the thought is to require licensed gun owners to store guns in a facility versus in their homes? Assuming that's the case, I'd be 100% against it. I think those that are licensed should have certain freedoms, so long as their firearms are stored safely. That includes me, despite my choice for storage not lining up with yours.

I've tried to make this clear, but I'll say it again to make sure the group understands: I'm not claiming that those who store their guns safely in their homes are irresponsible or putting their families at risk. In fact, I'm not saying anything remotely close to that, nor do I feel that way. I'm saying that, in my life, whether the gun guys consider it rational or not, it would be best to find a safe place to store my gun outside of my house.

Mike read this thread. It will give you an idea of the personalities you are dealing with. Everyone is a badass, king of my castle, overlord, where nothing else matters and the earth revolves around a gun.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/269654-In-the-doghouse-Christmas-ruined-AR-build

Mike,

Let me start this by saying that I was in your exact same boat a few years ago. In the Army, living in Texas and enjoying my freedoms. I decided to marry a girl from Braintree and she pooped out a kid. Well, when my contract was up we decided to move to Mass so she could finish out her Bachelor's degree and because I had no other better plan. I didn't own guns at this point, the thought never occurred to me. .Gov was paying me to shoot theirs, why would I want to pay for my own?

Well, my Dad decided as a leaving the Army gift, I was to receive a H&K SP-89. The wife had a mental ****ing melt-down. Lost it, crying, I was a different person, there's no way she's allowing it in the house near the kid, etc. You'd have though I went out and picked up a hooker with ebola and brought it back home to be a nanny. Well, I decided to hold off on taking ownership of the H&K - since you know - it's all small and scary looking. I got a Savage 30-06 instead. Showed her that without the bolt it was just a metal stick. I made her hold it, look at it, realize that without any ammunition in it or the bolt it was nothing but a paperweight. Next came a Glock 23. Same thing - took it apart and handed it to her piece by piece. Here's the frame, and here's the slide. What do you have in your hands? Some plastic and a metal tube. Then I locked them in the safe, told her to try to get them out. Without the code, she was unsuccessful. To be honest, after giving her the code she still couldn't figure it out lol.

So then I had her shoot my Sig. Well, now I had created a monster. Basically, in about a 6 month time-span, my wife went from psycho liberal ****-wad to me having to pry the Glock out of her hands when I decided to trade it off. Now we have two kids, and she has her own AR. They're all locked in the safe (not the kids, unfortunately) and all is well.

Most gun fears come from ignorance. The thought that a gun, by itself is somehow dangerous to those around it unless a highly skilled and trained gun-wrangler is in direct control of it - all stems from people just not knowing any better. If she's willing to give it a chance, and you're willing to take the time to teach her, then you'll be just fine.

If you still think that storing your guns outside of the house and you don't want to take the time to teach your wife then you probably shouldn't own them.

I agree that keeping my guns locked up when not under my direct control is a reasonable thing to do. The question posed is "Do you believe that a law that requires you to keep your guns locked up when not under your direct control is reasonable?"

you were the minority in that thread. this one, too.

I didn't offer an opinion in this thread. Personally I agree with the majority. A gun locked in a safe, out of the reach of children, isn't going to hurt anyone. I would call the OP's wife paranoid for think otherwise.

The OP posted with the hopes that someone could recommend a club for him. He wasn't soliciting marriage advice.

tell me you still have a line on that SP89.

I regret to tell you that I was an idiot that didn't do my research. I called a (terrible ****ing place) gun shop close to Braintree and received some poor information. Took it as gold and sold the SP89 for $5,000 before moving to MA. I kick myself in the ass every single day for doing it. Had 6 original H&K 30rd mags with it as well. Now I'm living in NH and it wouldn't even be an issue. Trust me, it's a hard topic for me to talk about lol.

You can neg rep me if you'd like, I deserve it. I'm not worthy!

Back
Top Bottom