CCW etiquette at a friend's house

"Concealed means concealed."
"I wouldn't be friends with someone who had a problem with me carrying."
"Get new friends."
"...'MERICA!!!"

Now that all of that machismo B.S. is out of the way, a few questions for you gents:

When you go to a friend's house, and you are carrying concealed, do you inform your friends that you are armed?

Would you want a guest in your home to make you aware if they were carrying a gun?

Thanks!

- P -

It is already assumed that I am. Other than that, concealed means concealed. If they have a problem with it I wont argue the point, I will just leave or secure the firearm in a lock box in my car or something.

Neither my wife nor I announce that we're carrying and I don't care if anyone else is, both in my home or anywhere else.

Last edited:
I would not announce it but if asked I would not deny it either

Concealed means concealed, if they have an issue, as far as I'm concerned, it is then an issue with trusting me and that's not somewhere I"m likely to stay

Last edited:
The best way I could describe my mentality is to say that I view a firearm the same way I view a cellphone. I carry one and think nothing of it. It wouldn't even occur to me to mention it upon entering someone else's home, and I would think it odd for someone to mention it to me upon entering my home.

Don't ask, don't tell.

It is nothing they need to know about.

Would you want a guest in your home to make you aware if they were carrying a gun?

No need. As far as I'm concerned, the more the merrier. As long as they leave it in their holster, what business is it of mine?

"Get new friends."
"...'MERICA!!!"

Now that all of that machismo B.S. is out of the way, a few questions for you gents:

When you go to a friend's house, and you are carrying concealed, do you inform your friends that you are armed?

Thanks!

- P -

No F'n way!

Don't care. Many years ago a friend OC'd into our house and at that time (very different now) my Wife hated guns, neither of us said a thing. Oh yeah, he was a cop, but was in civvies (with no badge visible), off-duty and not here for any business reason.

Neither my wife nor I announce that we're carrying and I don't care if anyone else is, both in my home or anywhere else.

Bingo, right answer.

I would not announce it but if asked I would not deny it either

Concealed means concealed, if they have an issue, as far as I'm concerned, it is then an issue with trusting me and that's not somewhere I"m likely to stay

I answered affirmatively in my Cousin's house (non-issue and they aren't gun people), but would probably not answer in most cases, but point out it is as rude a question as asking about a person's underwear that they are wearing.

The best way I could describe my mentality is to say that I view a firearm the same way I view a cellphone. I carry one and think nothing of it. It wouldn't even occur to me to mention it upon entering someone else's home, and I would think it odd for someone to mention it to me upon entering my home.

Ditto! And why I could NOT live in one of those Southern States were it is a legal requirement to get permission from a homeowner or business owner in order to legally carry on their property!!!

Nope, I dont tell anyone. Yes I have it with me everywhere. The only way they would know I had it is if it was needed. At that point they would be grateful I had the foresight to be prepared.

My friends didn't even know I carried for over 12 years. When a new holster I was trying failed and my gun slipped out onto the floor as I was reaching under the table for a dropped poker trip.....thud. my friend to the left of me looked at me and said.
Jeez that sound like a gun hitting the floor. He laughed didn't say much after. No one looked. I pocketed the pistol and played on. Later that night my friend asked me. WTF did you drop anyways......I think hes still the only one who knew for a few more years after.
The holster was working well up until that point. Never had a issue. But between the angle I bent over and the movement to get the chip it failed.

Last edited:
How would anyone know if you had a CCW? It's not very likely someone is gonna say "Hi, how are you? Do you have a concealed carry weapon on you?".

If I am the only one not drinking and I don't feel like explaining why I have a gun to some idiot I don't know, I just tell them I am pregnant. No I am not a woman.

Last edited:
I went to visit my "God-Children" when one said "Uncle has a gun on him?" Now, they r triplets, love them dearly, but MOM! heard this an came out. The kids were asking me to see it, can we hold it, MOM spanked me!! An just asked me to put it in the safe. I obliged, but there r times when it needs to be concealed more.
I agree with AF83, I carry, I don't need to explain to some idiot, I just say "No gun, it just hangs out a little too much"

I have carried to a friends house and not said anything, And I would not care if someone carried at my house as long as they are not drinking

"Get new friends."
"...'MERICA!!!"

Now that all of that machismo B.S. is out of the way.....

Not so much machismo as guiding principles.....

They (those that know I carry) assume I am, and 99% don't care. one's girlfriend has an issue with it, and she always ask's him if I can leave it in the car (which is parked down the street in an unlit lot right next to the road) to which I always reply "not a chance in hell will I leave my gun there" (He whispers "I figured, but I had to ask to shut her up) and I put it in a nano vault and shove it in a cabinet in the living room with the key in my pocket. Its a formality every time I go there to go through the motions with him asking, me refusing, and locking it up in the same place each time, then she has a glass of wine and forgets all about it.

The rest, they don't know I carry, and I don't tell them I carry, even when sitting in their living room. None of their business, just like I don't open my wallet and show them how much $ I have.

I don't tell anyone because I don't think of it any differently than carrying my wallet around. Its just something that I carry around every day incase I need it. I also don't care if anyone else carries whatever items they choose to carry.

What you are wondering about should only be a concern if someone is being irresponsible. It shouldn't even be a thought until then.

I was asked once in a friend's car. When I answered "Yes", he said "Good, because I forgot mine."

I don't think anyone else knows, and I like to keep it that way. Not so much because I think they'll care, but because I don't want it coming up at the wrong times or in the wrong company.

No and no.

I tell no one.

I often go out and know that people in the crowds are carrying, I just am not sure who they are. And that's the way it should be.

Last edited:
"Get new friends."
"...'MERICA!!!"

Thanks!

- P -

Yea, I do this every time I enter a house. . "Hi Bill, good to see you. Before I enter I would like to inform you that I have a bad back and I have pain pills for that, I also have a small pocket knife that I use for boxes as well as a really nifty flashlight. I also have a LTC card and a firearm."

[machismo]I only let them know if I'm carrying it in my hand. If its holstered on hip, I keep quiet [/machismo]

Real friends don't make a big deal out of what's in your pants when you visit.

Everybody I routinely invite over is licensed, so I assume they're exercising their right. As long as nothing falls out of a pocket and gouges up the woodwork, I honestly don't care for details.

"Get new friends."
"...'MERICA!!!"

Thanks!

- P -
The one rule that is strictly enforced in my home is that no firearms will be handled when alcoholic beverages are being consumed. What I do not know is none of my business. Years ago, my next-door neighbor and I were drinking beer. The subject quickly turned to firearms, since we both own them. I refused to open my small-arms locker. He asked what the problem was. I pointed to the beers that we were drinking and said no way, not now. Tomorrow morning, we will take them out to the range and fire them if you want but right now, no friggin way! Got a bit pissed but then he realized that I was following the basic safety rules. I did not want an otherwise pleasant visit to turn into a tragedy.

Both Arkansas and Louisiana have an insane requirement that licensed concealed carriers announce and ask permission before entering a home.

As Heinlein said about rules, "If I find them intolerable, I break them."

The only time I've ever been asked, wasn't even about if I was carrying. A friend and I were on a business trip in his car, and bad directions sent us through a sketchy neighborhood where we were getting the hairy eyeball from every street corner. We hadn't even discussed guns, but he asked, "How much ammo are you carrying?" Not if, but how much.

[smile]

Oh, and the answer was 24 rounds of .45 and 16 of 9x18, with more of each in my suitcase. He had a loaded .357 with two speedloaders, and 24 loose rounds.

Back
Top Bottom