CC in police station?

Most of the Post Offices near me have metal detectors and since I haven't tested them I didn't think a Glock 26 was the appropriate tool for a test of the emergency broadcast system.

??? How does this work? Do they have trays for your keys and other metal objects, or do they frisk everyone that triggers an alarm?

I've never seen this.

So... you do what on your way there? Not carry between point A and point B because point B prohibits carry?

Do you carry at all or just when you think there will be a self defense situation?

well my police station is a little over a mile from my house...if i wanted to carry i would trunk it got to the station then arm myself after leaving...if i was going there and straight back home i probably would just leave it at home...better chance of getting into a car accident, especially now with all the snow piles...but that's just me...i'm limited as to when i can carry anyway since i work in RI and live in MA...5 days out of the week i'm not carrying cause i can't

Last edited:
??? How does this work? Do they have trays for your keys and other metal objects, or do they frisk everyone that triggers an alarm?

I've never seen this.

Actually I don't spend much time there and have never seen them go off so maybe they are just for show. I will take a closer look the next time I am there.

Overreacting? Do you think every cop is out to kill you or something? [rofl]

I mean I question the motives of some in LE on a daily basis... but... as shocking as it may seem, a large number of them are not irrational most of the time. [rofl]

-Mike

never had a problem with my town cops and every one i've ever dealt with has been great...but you never know about those rookies...they could be jumpy and take a shot at me and miss and it bounce off the bulletproof dispatcher glass and travel a mile to my house and kill my dog [rofl]

As a sign of peace and good will, leave your gun at home.

Instead, bring a chocolate revolver with you (as a gift). Police love chocolate- who doesn't right? When you get to the station, run right up to the desk and hand it to them.

Call the station and ask. Jack.

[rofl] You're a hoot Jack!

Why would you want to look for trouble? Leave it locked up in the car or at home

Ken Maurer said it best . . . if I knew that I'd need a gun, I just wouldn't go there!

Nobody should be carrying because they EXPECT trouble . . . in those cases it is much wiser to avoid the problem areas.

You carry because you NEVER KNOW when trouble could find you. [Or you don't carry and just dial 911 and pray if trouble comes your way.]

What trouble? He has a license issued by the chief who sits at a desk in that building. Do you guys really leave your gun at home when you go to apply for renewal or whatever other business you have at the PD?

Nope, never.

OC in 5.11 dress khakis, a navy polo, and a dive watch. They'll just think you are plainclothes.

Every detective I've seen in various PDs kinda look like bums or just folks out shopping or something, they don't dress that formal.

The point is disarming in the parking lot of a police station is a pain as most of us don't have Chester vans that we can just go in the back. Disarming in a sports sedan with a soccer mom in a minivan parked next to you can be unnerving.

Not to mention all PDs I'm aware of have cameras in the parking area. You are more likely to draw attention doing this from inside the building.

then don't...there is no law against it...i'm just saying i personally don't see a point...like bringing sand to a beach...me bringing a gun into a place where there are a bunch of cops with guns...don't see myself needing it there and i don't want to deal with the slight chance of a cop overreacting and possibly jamming me up for nothing

But hopefully you know how to hit what you aim at. That would be different! [laugh]

Overreacting? Do you think every cop is out to kill you or something? [rofl]

I mean I question the motives of some in LE on a daily basis... but... as shocking as it may seem, a large number of them are not irrational most of the time. [rofl]

-Mike

Yes, but some of us are irrational some of the time. [wink] [laugh]

Last edited:
Actually I don't spend much time there and have never seen them go off so maybe they are just for show. I will take a closer look the next time I am there.

Could they actually be anti-theft detectors like in a department store? Hard to imagine metal detectors unless someone is actively working there to clear people with keys and gum wrappers.

Some states ban non-LE carry in police stations. This sort of law is generally found in states that have "new" CCW laws (enacted within the past few decades).

None of these states are in New England.

Norwood has a lock box outside the door with a sign saying put weapons in here. Or words to that effect.

Then again, i walked in with 3 machetes and two swords that i couldn't give away.

The point is disarming in the parking lot of a police station is a pain as most of us don't have Chester vans that we can just go in the back. Disarming in a sports sedan with a soccer mom in a minivan parked next to you can be unnerving.

Most of the Post Offices near me have metal detectors and since I haven't tested them I didn't think a Glock 26 was the appropriate tool for a test of the emergency broadcast system.

Your post offices have metal detectors? Is that normal? I've never seen one in a post office.

Your post offices have metal detectors? Is that normal? I've never seen one in a post office.

Neither have I but I have had the same theft detectors as used by the stores. Some USPOs put stuff out for self-help, but you still have to pay for it.

Neither have I but I have had the same theft detectors as used by the stores. Some USPOs put stuff out for self-help, but you still have to pay for it.

Quite possible that was it, I didn't look closely and assumed that the structures near the door were metal detectors but I guess thinking back on it they are shaped more like the detectors found in retail stores. I've been admitting I'm wrong too often this morning: Carry on.

I doubt they are operational. You would need RFID tags on every Priority Mail box and envelope. My wife works for the USPS, in management. She said she's never heard of it.

I doubt they are operational. You would need RFID tags on every Priority Mail box and envelope. My wife works for the USPS, in management. She said she's never heard of it.

IIRC, Braintree USPO has them. It's a 24x7 PO where you can do self-help during working hours for getting tape and other commodities that they sell and then going to a cashier (different station than the normal counter).

Priority boxes and envelopes are free (at least the ones they gave/sent me). They do sell larger boxes however.

just ask an employee what they are...or just throw a chunk of metal in your pocket and give it a go sometime...that way you'll know

Believe me, my clump of keys and flashlight in my pockets would wreck havoc with a metal detector. It's not a metal detector.

Quite possible that was it, I didn't look closely and assumed that the structures near the door were metal detectors but I guess thinking back on it they are shaped more like the detectors found in retail stores. I've been admitting I'm wrong too often this morning: Carry on.

It would be funny if there were metal detectors at the USPS - it's not unlawful to ship metal, and if it's first class or better, they can't open your package just because they feel like it (Media Mail is a different thing).

Hell, I've heard that bullets can be sent by mail [shocked]

Neither Taunton or Fall River have had an issue.
Was carrying during the "listening tour" at the FRPD - dumb fudd to my left would have pissed himself if he had known. Was wondering about the logic in my plan when I saw the metal detector but was elated when the officer walked through without a peep.

Framingham has a 24/7 office which is where they were. That explains that. Thought I also remembered them at the Back Bay office, I will check tomorrow.

My guess is that they aren't even hooked up to power, whatever they are.

I didn't realize my comment would stir up such a storm.

Framingham has a 24/7 office which is where they were. That explains that. Thought I also remembered them at the Back Bay office, I will check tomorrow.

My guess is that they aren't even hooked up to power, whatever they are.

I didn't realize my comment would stir up such a storm.

Are they "metal detectors" or "shoplifting control systems" that detect tags on merchandise? I've never seen a real metal detector at a post office (but I've never been to one in Boston), but I have seen the shoplifting detectors at post offices that have self-service displays of non-postage merchandise.

Shoplifting devices. I assumed they were metal detectors originally since I didn't think the USPS had anything worth stealing.

Looking for trouble? What about a citizen lawfully carrying a gun into a PD is "looking for trouble"? I'm having a hard time with this.

Maybe if they had a "no weapons allowed" sign that's one thing, even though that's not legally binding either.

-Mike

Let's say the police station is posted. I'd be willing to bet large sums of money that they'd consider it a "posted govt building" which makes it prohibited and successfully jam up anyone found carrying there.

Let's say the police station is posted. I'd be willing to bet large sums of money that they'd consider it a "posted govt building" which makes it prohibited and successfully jam up anyone found carrying there.

No such law in MA. Fail.

Back
Top Bottom