• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Carrying (firearm) while carrying (infant)

With the recent addition of another son to our family, born healthy last Monday I am once again struggling with how to safety carry while carrying. All you other dads (and moms) out there that carry IWB, how do you do it (or change out to another carry method). Generally I carry apendix however I find myself carrying the car seat with my right hand and on my hip when we go out. Today was the first real outing to Providence to the Apple store and I was really struggling to keep the car seat off from my hip.

Attachments

• big brother ben.jpg
    big brother ben.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 159
  • v family.jpg
    v family.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 165
Congratulations as well.

I carry the baby on the left even though it isn't as comfortable or natural. Nothing has to change carry wise and it leaves my dominant hand free.

You will become more ambidextrous out of necessity anyway. Best wishes to you and your family.

ETA: You will soon become the discoverer of many strange and pungent cheeses.

Don't burp the turd worm.

Last edited:
First off congratulations to you and your family. I always carry 4 o’clock and carry my daughter with my left arm. Even when I didn’t carry and my daughter was an infant I for some reason always carried the car seat with my left arm even though I’m a righty.

Congrats on the new addition!! Doubtless sacreligious to most everyone here......but being able to safely and securely carry my child in his car seat is more important than having a firearm on my person. If no better suggestions pop up here, like shoulder holster, learn to shoot lefty, or stick a can of mace on your belt left hand side and leave the weapon in the car. And yeah, I know some idiot shot another idiot in the mall the other day....but that was between idiots and not involving anyone else.

I just got used to carrying the kids on the left side. I figured in the carseat/carrier it was easy. It's much more difficult now with the 3yr old wanting to jungle gym all over me in stores and public so I just toss her on my shoulders and hope I don't get into a shootout with her up there lol.

Actually, now that I think about it, the higher-quality diapers would probably support an IWB snubbie... hell, just let the baby carry it. It’s never too early for your kids to start pulling their weight.

I’m kidding.

I changed from 4 to 2 o'clock IWB, mainly because I was bending over a lot and was afraid my shirt would rise over the gun. I know it's tacticool to never carry anything in your shooting hand, but being pragmatic about it, other than LEO's, how many people on this forum have ever pulled a weapon in self defense? The odds are so heavily against you actually needing it, just carry it and deal with your kid how you need to.

Hide the gun under the kid in the car seat?

J/K. I carried at 4 o'clock IWB and carried the baby carrier wih my left hand. Like most other suggested.

BTW... I've found carrying only gets hardier as they get older. Your at schools more, they are jumping around and hugging you a lot, your always kneeling down to talk to them and pick them up.

I used a photographer “shoot me first” vest with my kids. It was much better than a bag, I could carry diapers, wipes, cream, bottle, spare ammo, knife and handkerchief. It was great.

Owb. Under the vest.

Don't go Dirty Harry...
dhmf5-cx-holster.jpg

6671994.jpg

Congrats and enjoy the little one. I'm going to be the contrary guy and suggest sometimes it might be better to use common sense and instead of bringing a gun don't take the kid where you are likely to need one. Yea I know bad things can happen anywhere, anytime, but odds. Don't be gun-autistic. Sometimes the risk of being unarmed so you can roll around in the daisies with your kid is worth it.

My wife and I always carried our kids in our left, non dominant arms. Always seemed more natural and my left arm actually wouldn't fatigue as fast.

Congrats!! I myself am expecting the birth of my baby boy any day now (2nd kid). I will be experiencing the same thing soon, but I am able to occasionally carry my 5yr old with my left arm even carrying appendix.. My plan is getting a smaller gun and running appendix.

Tactical Dads unite!!!

I changed from 4 to 2 o'clock IWB, mainly because I was bending over a lot and was afraid my shirt would rise over the gun. I know it's tacticool to never carry anything in your shooting hand, but being pragmatic about it, other than LEO's, how many people on this forum have ever pulled a weapon in self defense? The odds are so heavily against you actually needing it, just carry it and deal with your kid how you need to.

Yup this was definitely a factor in my transition to appendix carry. I used to carry around 3:30- 4, but with all the bending over with little ones and the shirt riding up all the time AIWB was just much easier

Back
Top Bottom