• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Carrying at work?

my corporate policy is no weapons, I'm pretty sure I could open carry in my small office and nobody would bat an eye though. My personal thought on the matter is that if any of us were ever in a situation where I need to out yourself as carrying, then they can fire me, because obviously something went sideways in a major way. However, My territory is all of New England. I can often leave the house with a set schedule, only to end up having to stop at a school, .gov building, Navy ship, Nuke facility, or airport. So I unfortunately can't carry at work.

Head of my IT department is a Marine and could care less as long as it's concealed. The CEO is from India and has actually asked me to take him to the range. There have been instances where he has asked me if I carry which I didn't reply, but he mentioned that he would feel safer if I was (high stress environment).

Or carry a large metallic item in your pocket, like a screw driver, and see what happens

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

A screwdriver could be considered a weapon. Anyone remember Bernie Goetz? Carry a pair of vice grips that weigh roughly what your carry piece does.

Also, if they're x-raying you I think you have to be warned with signage.

To the OP: Concealed means concealed. I carry whenever it is possible. Which doesn't say 100% of the time, but close.

By company policy I am not permitted to have a deadly weapon anywhere on company property. By law (Ohio Revised Code), I am not permitted to carry in the building (our private psychology practice is licensed as a mental health center/Forensic Assessment Service), although several people know that I carry outside of work. Recently when one particular client showed up, the president/owner was called at home and asked his secretary if I was working that day and if I would be there. She proceeded to ask me if I would be there when this individual was scheduled to be seen. When I asked why, she indicated that the owner knew that I carried and wanted me to stay. I told her that it was against company policy to carry and that she should call the local police or contract with a private security firm if she wanted personal security.

I do carry, however, don't advertise that I have a gun at work. I will protect myself and others if the situations necessitate intervening, but I'm not going to put myself out there and offer to be someone's bodyguard.

Ok...so it turns out this work chic (no pics) wanted to have lunch with me today so I decided to try the vice grip scenario for our new security gates at the building's entrance. So, in my computer bag I put not only the laptop and the vice grips but also two 12" crescent wrenches. Yes, the bag was a but heavier but nobody even batted an eye.

So my initial thought is I could probably get something in there.

Or carry a large metallic item in your pocket, like a screw driver, and see what happens

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

A screwdriver could be considered a weapon. Anyone remember Bernie Goetz? Carry a pair of vice grips that weigh roughly what your carry piece does.

Also, if they're x-raying you I think you have to be warned with signage.

To the OP: Concealed means concealed. I carry whenever it is possible. Which doesn't say 100% of the time, but close.

Dude, now we NEED pics

lol...can't do it....

Not allowed.

But since San Bernadino, gotta do what ya gotta do.

I'm not pleading for my life or cowering under a desk or in a supply closet if I have anything to say about it.

I'm not pleading for my life or cowering under a desk or in a supply closet if I have anything to say about it.
This!.....But...
Under a desk or in a supply closet would actually give you pretty good cover - as you're aiming and gently squeezing the trigger a few times, helping to arrange Omar's earlier-than-expected meet and greet with 72 virgins...

Just sayin'

This!.....But...
Under a desk or in a supply closet would actually give you pretty good cover - as you're aiming and gently squeezing the trigger a few times, helping to arrange Omar's earlier-than-expected meet and greet with 72 virgins...

Just sayin'

Correction: Concealment! Not likely to stop bullets and therefore not really cover.

A really good video that covers a take I've been wanting to see made here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO1ArUv86YU
Some comments:
1) Concealed is concealed isn't as black and white as some folks would have you believe.
2) Odds and consequences are a balancing act. Protection against the risk of violence isn't the only risk you have to manage for yourself and your family.
3) Hypocritical absolutism as described in the clip is plague on this culture that puts our rights in jeopardy at least as much as it safeguards them.

"Anybody who has a one sentence answer to this question is pretty safe to ignore."

I’ve carried at several past jobs where it was in a Federal installations and illegal to carry. Once you figure out the search routines, it’s pretty safe to carry.

Does your workplace use gun sniffing dogs and gun detecting handheld x-ray vision things like the NYPD uses?

After 30 years in business we decided to do an employee handbook. I guess there's a boilerplate that's used. Our H&R guy was going over what alterations we wanted to make with a woman from company that did this stuff. There was a section on weapons and are H&R guy asked about it and she said it's standard and almost all companies use due to safety concerns. He told her half of the employees carry at work, including some of the owners. She seemed surprised but just said to throw that section away. That was 12 years ago, we still have no handbook, I think it's just as well. I feel a handbook could be a double edge sword.

Back then just ugly. Still not fat or bald. Just now ugly and old now.

But I definitely fit in the a$$hole category. At least that’s what my wife tells me people say. Lol.

It is very easy to carry to the grocery store and not be discovered— people aren’t focusing on you and your exposure to them is limited.

Carrying at work is an entirely different set of risks. You are with your coworkers 40+ hours per week. They are focusing on you. Your risk of exposure is far greater.

While carrying at a friends house, I crossed my legs while sitting down and had my spare magazine fall out of a pocket and clunk on the floor. While carrying at a different friends house, I had a magazine pouch work its way off my belt and fall to the floor.

Shit happens. If I was discovered carrying at work, I would be fired. Word would get around my profession and I would likely have a very difficult time finding a similar job.

For me, the chance of my getting involved in a violent incident while driving to work or while at work are quite low. My chances of being discovered carrying are significantly greater. Yes, the consequences are different. Only you can decide whether to carry at work and different people will make different decisions. But the phrase “concealed means concealed” doesn’t help folks think through the comparative risks.

Last edited:
I believe one member who became our first "Guest" here describes workplace carry best as a "non-permissive envrionment" with "Bigboy Rules". Yes, I carried at work and I'm retired now so I don't GAF. I'm disabled, I can walk a little with a cane, I have white hair. Sometimes I'm in a wheelchair Everything about me screams easy mark. I carry everywhere. Because I never know if I'm gonna need it.

[smile]

Back
Top Bottom