Carry at the MGH in Boston?

Crikey! Is anyone on this forum NOT connected with Partners in some way?!

I'm pretty sure a high percentage of the members of this forum (in MA) have some sort of connection with Partners.

My GF works for partners, one of my tenants used to, my best friend's dad does, and I am doing consulting work there.

2 of my co-worker's significant other's work for partners as well.

Crikey! Is anyone on this forum NOT connected with Partners in some way?!

If it wasn't for the top-notch health care that Partners offers, on the bleeding edge of technology which involves the type of work my Wife does there (and isn't done in some backwater area) . . . we'd be the hell out of MA in a heartbeat!

There's a very good reason why very wealthy sheiks, despots and rulers come half-way across the world to Boston for their medical needs!

There's a very good reason why very wealthy sheiks, despots and rulers come half-way across the world to Boston for their medical needs!
Because they want to help support insurance companies?

Healthcare costs are ridiculous.

As you know, it is illegal in MA to carry in a school. MGL C269 S10j. The wording is very broad concerning what is a school. So the question here is whether MGH is a school or not.

MGH is one of Harvard's teaching hospitals. Is it a school or not? Frankly, I don't know and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a precedent.

I don't think MGH is owned by Harvard, but is instead a separate non-profit corporation that is affiliated with Harvard.

I didn't see the other posts about it being a teaching school. I saw the OP about going to the hospital. I guess a little research or a phone call to the hospital would answer his question.

They pay CASH!! They support the hospitals but not the insurance companies.

There are now suites with VIP service. Private rooms, full meal service etc.
I think some of them even have separate quarters for family.

Supposedly for high rollers like you mentioned.
It's funny cause when they get overbooked, "normal" people get to stay there and when they are brought back to a normal room they get quite a shock.

I guess a little research or a phone call to the hospital would answer his question.
Or get him arrested upon entry for assault on a receptionist via a phone call.

Regardless of how "legal" it may be, never ask.

It's like asking your girlfriend's father what he thinks about putting it in her butt. It's not something you want to talk about in certain company regardless of how much she loves the pee pee. She loves it. "OOOoohhhhh Pee pee in my butthole!"

They pay CASH!! They support the hospitals but not the insurance companies.
Overseas VIPs also pay full price. Very lucrative for the hospitals.

Insurance companies negotiate lower rates. Overseas VIPs don't get the extra-special-friends-of-Rick discount that Blue Cross Blue Shield of MA gets.

Or get him arrested upon entry for assault on a receptionist via a phone call.

Regardless of how "legal" it may be, never ask.

It's like asking your girlfriend's father what he thinks about putting it in her butt. It's not something you want to talk about in certain company regardless of how much she loves the pee pee. She loves it. "OOOoohhhhh Pee pee in my butthole!"

I don't ask, & I don't advocate telling them your name. Ask anonymously, if you're not sure & don't feel comfortably carrying there. He asked, I posted my response.

(& yes, you did get a wee bit carried away on that one) [wink]

Do they check bags there? Do you have one of the single gun lock boxes like Four Season's sells? Throw it in a backpack. That way there its still with you. I just get nervous about leaving it in my car even if locked. My luck someone will break into my truck that day even though it is attached to my seat frame.

You can always go back and edit your post. I agree with the point you made, but might suggest a less graphic description.

I thought it mighty interesting after my fingers translated it onto the screen. I'll leave it. Paints a funny picture in my head when I read it.

I don't ask, & I don't advocate telling them your name. Ask anonymously, if you're not sure & don't feel comfortably carrying there. He asked, I posted my response.

I understand. I just have my doubts that you'll ever get a "yes it's ok to carry here" answer from anyone.

People's first reaction will be to say no, regardless of whether it is legal or not.

I actually think I could pick up a phone book and call 10 random businesses and get a no from all of them.

Ask them "I was thinking about stopping by. By the way, is it ok for me as a licensed firearms owner to carry my gun onto your property?"

Pretty sure they'll say no or call the police.

. . . or should have been! [rolleyes]

Why don't you go back and edit it to be more polite to the young lady?

That's quite alright...I understand his point, & I agree in theory. He just said it in a way that would've gotten him slapped if he said it in person. [rofl] No offense taken.

Oohhhhhh.

K-Dub???

OOOOOOOO NO!

No no no. What I said before wasn't directed at K-Dub. I didn't realize the gender.

Now it looks like I got Way too carried away. I was thinking about one of my x-gf's. She used to call my member her "pee pee". So I put that comment in there.

Oops.

Sorry K-Dub!! My butthole comments were not directed at you but rather an x-gf of mine who enjoyed talking about my pee pee and her butthole.

Last edited:
Now I'm lost.

* K-Dub makes suggestion
* Underwhere disagrees and make analogous remark involving woman, his pee pee, woman's butthole, woman's father.
* LenS points out that K-Dub is a lady
* Underwhere realizes his comments about pee pee and butthole may seem to have been directed at her but were rather reminiscent memories of his former girlfriend.
* Underwhere issues an apology and explains his prior analogy.

Last edited:
When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.

digging.jpg

There are now suites with VIP service. Private rooms, full meal service etc.
Some of the top hospitals in Boston have suites with separate access (not just suites on a regular floor) specifically to make things easy for the security detail that celebs and visiting dignitaries bring with them. Remember, not only do these people pay in cash (well, probably cash equivalent), but they will probably pay the rack rate that can easily be 4 or more times the HMO or Blue Cross negotiated "paid in full" price.

The real social issue is not their use of care - these people generate a profit for the hospital used to cover losses elsewhere, but organ donations. Every time a visiting dignitary "just happens" to come up at the top of the US organ donation list while visiting for medical care, it means an ordinary American (probably one of those ordinary Americans about whose rights we can't be overly concerned with according to Bill Clinton) doesn't get the replacement part they are waiting for.

Last edited:
Some of the top hospitals in Boston have suites with separate access (not just suites on a regular floor) specifically to make things easy for the security detail that celebs and visiting dignitaries bring with them. Remember, not only do these people pay in cash (well, probably cash equivalent), but they will probably pay the rack rate that can easily be 4 or more times the HMO or Blue Cross negotiated "paid in full" price.

Yes. It is one of these floors I am talking about.
Special floors, special treatment.
Not all of them are paying cash.
Some are family member of those who work at the hospital, people in position of power of influence as well as just plain rich people.

Often times it's not the patient who requests the room. Sometimes it's simply the hospital staff who recognizes them and will assign them there. Which would be fine but it just means that famous or recognizable people may get better treatment for the heck of it.

If you're paying for it, fine. If someone recognizes you from a movie and decides you should be be there (for no extra charge) then its a little unsettling to me. There are others just as sick or more and aren't famous.

MGH is a hospital that is affiliated with HMS. Classes are not held there, the "teaching" refers to the interns, residents, and fellows that are learning how to actually practice medicine. HMS is over in the Longwood area. The MGH police are special state police officers, but are not armed. Some of them are uniformed, but the vast majority wear slacks, blazers, and red and blue striped ties. From my 25+ years of interacting with them, they are a very professional operation.

I've never seen BPD have to respond inside the hospital in all that time.

All of that being said, like every other hospital I'm familiar with, they have a no weapons on the premises policy. Which means if they find you with one you will be asked to surrender it to the MGH PD or leave the premises. Like all but one hospital, I've never seen any signage conveying this information to the public.

So, you carry at your own risk. Remember concealed means concealed for a reason.

Back
Top Bottom