Carry at the MGH in Boston?

Gray area... is there teaching done for Harvard Med in the doctor's building? Harvard owns the building, I would guess.

I wouldn't, personally.

Yeah, but since Harvard owns MGH, doesn't that mean that MGH Police are ultimately employed by Harvard?

And yes, I know Harvard owns probably 25% of Boston, but since MGH is a place where actual teaching takes place, I consider it a gray area, even though others have vehemently disagreed with me in the past.

Why not....unless it's posted or they have metal detectors.

As you know, it is illegal in MA to carry in a school. MGL C269 S10j. The wording is very broad concerning what is a school. So the question here is whether MGH is a school or not.

MGH is one of Harvard's teaching hospitals. Is it a school or not? Frankly, I don't know and I think you'd be hard pressed to find a precedent.

Yeah, but since Harvard owns MGH, doesn't that mean that MGH Police are ultimately employed by Harvard?

I don't think MGH is owned by Harvard, but is instead a separate non-profit corporation that is affiliated with Harvard.

I really don't want to have to leave it in the car. Since MGH is a teaching hospital and I am going to be seen by a doctor, I probably should leave it in the car. Correct?

Yep, checked and it's owned by Partners HealthCare, most of whose hospitals are Harvard affiliates...

So it's not Harvard property.

Potentially still could be considered a school thanks to unclear language in the law. Probably not, but it's the whole "do you want to be the test case" issue.

Again, I wouldn't do it, but I tend to be more cautious with this sort of thing. I'm sure others here wouldn't think twice. Also, the fact that I have a restricted LTC means that for me, it's an intellectual exercise more than a practical issue.

I really don't want to have to leave it in the car. Since MGH is a teaching hospital and I am going to be seen by a doctor, I probably should leave it in the car. Correct?
If it is considered to be a school, then you would have to have it unloaded and locked up prior to entering the property. So you would have to do that before you drove into the MGH parking garage.

I will lock it up. I really don't want any problems as the doctor would def see my gun on my side when he does an exam on me. I rather not spend my night in jail in my sick state. [laugh]

I will lock it up. I really don't want any problems as the doctor would def see my gun on my side when he does an exam on me. I rather not spend my night in jail in my sick state. [laugh]

As I said, if MGH is considered a school, you must unload and lock it up PRIOR to entering MGH grounds. That includes the parking garages on the MGH campus, as they are owned by MGH.

lock box.

good to go.

i was wondering what you were being seen for. LOL.

Ear Nose & throat, probably NOT an issue vs. carrying

butt exam, ISSUE [laugh] vs. carrying

MGH / Harvard

FYI

Harvard has zero ownership in any assets of MGH and is not financially affiliated in any way...whatsoever. All physicians and staff are solely employed by the MGH.

MGH is not a school under chapters

MGH is not a school under chapters

Based on whose opinion? Yours? Are you an attorney? Does the Suffolk County DA agree with you on this?

I'm not saying that it is and I'm not saying that it isn't. I frankly don't know. It is certainly a teaching hospital and some instruction of medical students occurs at that location.

Last edited:
As already pointed out, Partners Healthcare OWNS MGH (and Brigham & Women's, DFCI, Faulkner, Newton-Wellesley, etc.) and is NOT a school. The fact that doctors intern there does not make it a "school" any more than my PCP (who is a 1 doctor office) is a "school" when he takes in a nursing intern from one of the local nursing schools.

My Wife works for Partners, so I know a little about the place. Also any time I go to any of their facilities, security is not an issue, no strip searches.

Now, if a doc/nurse is likely to see the gun during an exam, I wouldn't take it/the holster/mags in with me to avoid a scene, but illegal it isn't.

One of the Partners hospitals is/was *very* much wired for unobtrusive video. No idea if MGH carried it that far (I doubt it). You might want to stow the gun before you get into the garage.

Back
Top Bottom