Cancelling your NRA membership makes you part of the problem

The NRA works in the world of Realpolitik. They understand the political climate. Many operate in the world of internet unreality where ideology trumps (no pun intended) reality, a world where the words should and ought prevail. The average American actually believes what they were taught (if they were taught) in high school civics or political science 101 in college which isn't exactly how politics or government works. Politics and governance is the art of the doable . I wish that that a lot of things that ought were like unicorns but aren't, plain and simple.

So you don't support the NRA...and ? What happens ? You'll show them by golly. So you will get on every firearm forum and rant your little heart out about how "unfair" everything is and how the libtards have succeeded in destroying your freedom. So what are ya gonna do about it?

Sad to say but most of you who are the biggest complainers probably never even wanted a bump fire and now everyone wants one. Not a major seller, but gee willy whiz bang you can go out to the range and zip through a couple of hundred rounds in no time at all. How fun is that, the thrill of almost full auto, never mind that accuracy goes to hell and no marksmanship is really involved, just let 'er rip, but it is your God Given inalienable right to own one, I get it and now the big bad NRA might support some kind of control on this device, we don't know what, but it's enough to get your undies in a snit, I get it.

Look, the tragedy of Las Vegas has set us back I don't know how far. It's taken suppressors off the table, and more than likely national reciprocity too. The knee jerkers and the anti's have just won a major victory for their side by the act of a deranged madman. Thank God he wasn't an NRA member (as far as we know).

Now ask yourself one very simple question: Where would we be today, without the NRA ? Would the situation for gun owners in the United States (I'm not talking Massachusetts) be better or worse ? I think you already know the answer to that one. The NRA still makes elements of the anti-gun community shiver in their shoes. This is something many of you seem to forget, also too forget the quaint notion that R's are for the 2A and D's are against it. At the grassroots level this isn't always the case, anyway. How many of you breathed a sigh of relief when Trump was elected and kind of slacked off? Too many...the situation can change in an instant, and any politician can change overnight. Remember Scott Brown, Jane Swift our GOAL poster children ?

Unless you are ready to lead us in a new civil war, it's highly likely that new gun legislation is coming and that there will be bi-partisan support and at least a nod from the NRA. Why ? The NRA has to maintain a positive public relations posture with the majority of the American people, most of whom do not place the 2A as their highest priority. Oh, sure there are plenty of gun culture states, but in terms of political, social and economic importance (with few exceptions) lack the clout of NY, CA and even MA.

So give up on the NRA. The British had a weak NRA that was totally devoted to hunting and competitive shooting and look where that got them. So who among you is going to step up to the plate and really do something other than resign and protest. Sure, there are other organizations out there but they pale in comparison to the clout and political influence of the NRA and is Realpolitik...like it or not.

fair enough but if that's the ultimate strategy then we should all just give up now. If after every mass shooting we'll concede a large cap mag here, a bump stock there, maybe an apex trigger here, a flash suppressor there, eventually our NRA will be as weak as the Brit's NRA. If the game plan is to simply give up something for the sake of, what did you say, "positive public relations", then I have to ask what is the point? Every minor thing we give up seems minor at the time. Eventually we'll be talking about giving up black rifles altogether and what will you say then "the NRA has to support it for the sake of good PR so we can keep our wheel guns and bolt rifles". This shit has to stop. I'm not sore over losing bump stocks. I don't have one and probably would never get one as I think they're just a dumb novelty. But every concession emboldens these freedom hating pricks and they're on to the next target. Look, we didn't just lose (or about to lose) bump stocks. We were close to getting suppressors and national reciprocity looked like a possibility (even a slim one). Now all 3 of those are off the table.

This isn't giving up ground to win the war, all gun owners have ever done is give up ground in one sided compromise after one sided compromise. Death by a thousand cuts.

nra picks its battles. they learned long ago they can't just keep putting out the small fires.

Some of you guys are living in a fantasy world. By all means continue to support more absolutist organizations, but if you think the NRA has done nothing for us the last decade you are high as shit. They are strong due to their numbers. You don't have to go above and beyond and pour money into them, but the 20-30 bucks a year and your name on their rosters helps. Your lack of membership hurts gun rights. If the NRA weren't as strong as it is, we'd have 10 round mag bans, much more intrusive background checks, no ARs, etc etc etc. That's a fact.

As I said before, if you don't like how they do things, work to change it. Not being a member doesn't even afford you that opportunity. This isn't an all or nothing thing, you can still work to change the NRA as well as support [insert other gun rights organization].

Mike

I'll trade bump stocks for national reciprocity and suppressors any day of the week. While philosophically painful, for daily life in reality, that's progress: one minor step back, two big steps forward.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Let's be clear, there is no "trade" currently happening right now. It's a political move. I think its politically probably the right call, though I don't like to see it happen. Those who use this as an excuse to not support the NRA are an example of us being our own worst enemy. They are an imperfect organization that can't meet everyone's ideals. They get shit done though.

Mike

I'll trade bump stocks for national reciprocity and suppressors any day of the week. While philosophically painful, for daily life in reality, that's progress: one minor step back, two big steps forward.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

You're not going to get suppressors in MA. its a state prohibition issue not a federal issue. Work on state law and then you can address federal issues.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's be clear, there is no "trade" currently happening right now. It's a political move. I think its politically probably the right call, though I don't like to see it happen. Those who use this as an excuse to not support the NRA are an example of us being our own worst enemy. They are an imperfect organization that can't meet everyone's ideals. They get shit done though.

Mike

You sound like you are on their payroll.

fair enough but if that's the ultimate strategy then we should all just give up now. If after every mass shooting we'll concede a large cap mag here, a bump stock there, maybe an apex trigger here, a flash suppressor there, eventually our NRA will be as weak as the Brit's NRA. If the game plan is to simply give up something for the sake of, what did you say, "positive public relations", then I have to ask what is the point? Every minor thing we give up seems minor at the time. Eventually we'll be talking about giving up black rifles altogether and what will you say then "the NRA has to support it for the sake of good PR so we can keep our wheel guns and bolt rifles". This shit has to stop. I'm not sore over losing bump stocks. I don't have one and probably would never get one as I think they're just a dumb novelty. But every concession emboldens these freedom hating pricks and they're on to the next target. Look, we didn't just lose (or about to lose) bump stocks. We were close to getting suppressors and national reciprocity looked like a possibility (even a slim one). Now all 3 of those are off the table.

This isn't giving up ground to win the war, all gun owners have ever done is give up ground in one sided compromise after one sided compromise. Death by a thousand cuts.

THIS! Compromise is NOT one sided. Sheerly by definition.

The money I was GOING to be putting into renewing my lapsed NRA membership will go to either GOAL, COMM2A, or GOA

- - - Updated - - -

Yea and don't read the comments. Some serious brain-dead libs on there.

I’ll continue to support them because I’m not a precious snowflake who expects them to cater to my every need. They are a political organization, and frankly I expect them to make calculated political decisions. With their heads, not their guts. They fight the deep fight, the one I’m unable to fight myself.

We tend not to to pay attention to their successes. Which is a shame; they’re the reason there are still ARs to attach those bumpfires to.

Mike

Responding emotionally to a horrific tragedy by trading in more of our rights is the problem. We are most certainly not going to win anything through appeasement. The antis aren't going to be happy until we are all disarmed. Plain and simple. If you don't believe this you aren't paying attention.

- - - Updated - - -

I’ll continue to support them because I’m not a precious snowflake who expects them to cater to my every need. They are a political organization, and frankly I expect them to make calculated political decisions. With their heads, not their guts. They fight the deep fight, the one I’m unable to fight myself.

We tend not to to pay attention to their successes. Which is a shame; they’re the reason there are still ARs to attach those bumpfires to.

Do you think that this decision was made with their heads? Or was it a decision to cool the heat from the emotional left?

- - - Updated - - -

This is NOT our fault, guys! We need to stop acting like it is!!

You're wrong about the states. It's just a small number of states that are responsible for trying to destroy any rights we think we have under the Second Amendment. The battles are there and it's those decisions in federal court that will ultimately win the war.
But all the NRA can do is lobby, throw money around and endorse political candidates for their membership. Those tools mean NOTHING in MA, because we are such a small number here. I would rather see the NRA endorse solid, pro 2A candidates in states where they can win and then hopefully we can get enough of them into positions that matter with regard to 2A issues. Pro 2A Presidential nominees, Federal Judges, etc. That is the only way we are going to win this thing.

For what ever disagreements I've had with NRA's policies over the years, the fact they are feared in DC is what keeps me a member.
Bill Clinton warned the Dems to stay off the gun control wagon because it was a losing horse to ride.
They didn't listen, and neither did his wife.
Don't think the NRA getting the word out about her shit 2A stance didn't play some part of her loosing.
In states outside of Ma. there are Dems who like their guns too.

I don't think they have done nothing for us. And I'm not using this as an excuse to not support them. I have never given them a dime to begin with. I'm fine with people supporting the NRA. But saying if you don't support the NRA it makes you "part of the problem", is ridiculous.

I'm having to rethink my renewal with a group that so easily throws away it's members rights so easily!

Stephen Paddock murdered those people all by himself.
Stop blaming an object for the actions of the one that possesses it!

Did we put any limits on aircraft after 9/11?
Did we stop selling Ford Vans after the Oklahoma bombing?

But when a police officer murders someone did we restrict their guns in any way?

Common sense is not too common!

Here is the Statement by the NRA (The part that matters):

“Despite the fact that the Obama administration approved the sale of bump fire stocks on at least two occasions, the National Rifle Association is calling on the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) to immediately review whether these devices comply with federal law.”

As it stands right now, the ATF owns the bumpfire stock "problem" because they approved them. Obama's ATF none the less. All the NRA is doing is trying to keep new anti gun laws from being passed by leaving this where it has always been. In the hands of the ATF.

This also protects Trump and republicans who can say "I'm not a gun expert. Thats why we have the ATF. It also protects the NRA by allowing us to say "Hey, we are law abiding gun owners. We all bought these legally on the market." Nobody in conceding anything.

Responding emotionally to a horrific tragedy by trading in more of our rights is the problem. We are most certainly not going to win anything through appeasement. The antis aren't going to be happy until we are all disarmed. Plain and simple. If you don't believe this you aren't paying attention.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you think that this decision was made with their heads? Or was it a decision to cool the heat from the emotional left?

- - - Updated - - -

This is NOT our fault, guys! We need to stop acting like it is!!

“Responding emotionally” is precisely what I think many folks are doing when they’re canceling their memberships. If you weigh the NRA’s impact impartially, it’s undeniable that they’ve done more good than harm.

As for the bolded part? The two are not mutually exclusive.

But they know what they are doing, this implicitly gives politicians permission to pursue this. I wouldn't be surprised if it was stated explicitly in some backdoor meeting between the lobbyists and the politicians.

As to the "rights" aspect. Bump stocks are not protected by SCOTUS decisions and banning them would not offend case law... Granted I think SCOTUS got Heller wrong and it was decided too narrowly. That said, I'm still not confident there would be any "right" to a bump stock. I don't think they should be banned, but they are one of the few useless firearm accessories out there. True select fire - useful. Bump stocks, stupid. Fun, but useless and stupid.

Mike

For what ever disagreements I've had with NRA's policies over the years, the fact they are feared in DC is what keeps me a member.
Bill Clinton warned the Dems to stay off the gun control wagon because it was a losing horse to ride.
They didn't listen, and neither did his wife.
Don't think the NRA getting the word out about her shit 2A stance didn't play some part of her loosing.
In states outside of Ma. there are Dems who like their guns too.

If I run against Warren? How many will back me?

I don't think they have done nothing for us. And I'm not using this as an excuse to not support them. I have never given them a dime to begin with. I'm fine with people supporting the NRA. But saying if you don't support the NRA it makes you "part of the problem", is ridiculous.

No. it's not ridiculous. If you believe in something, you should support it. It's $25-$35 bucks a year and its one more member who's vote they can use to threaten the gun grabbers. Tossing a few bucks for membership is the least a gun owner can do. If you are too much of a skin flint to do that, then you ARE indeed part of the problem. Shit, you can't even toss Derek a few bucks a year to support your favorite cop bashing platform.

Last edited:
NRA hasn't caved on anything related to this incident. But you cant ignore this is political dynamite. The time is for slight of hand, not a full on brawl.

No Hughes amendment= no bump fire and MGs suject to BATFE review.

THIS is the message the NRA should have been sending. Instead they fold, cowards.

I am thinking about buying my newborn an NRA life membership but I'm concerned about him getting on a mailing list and getting deluged with mail.

Thinking about 2AF membership instead, or both, or a new AR15 for him.

Most anyone with a pulse and not libitard.

1) The Dem's get their power in Mass from the welfare people!

Who understand that if the Dem's lose the money will start to go away.

So they go out of their way to get voters to the polls.

2) I've talked to a lot GOP who just don't vote the reason is always the same (why vote we will never win)

3) Baker and Mitt won because both are DEM'S

P.S I will talk with the wife

Back
Top Bottom