Cancelling your NRA membership makes you part of the problem

If we were to step back for a moment and look at the big picture, were would we be right now without the NRA?

There are a hand full of states in this great country that would be a complete waste of money for them to do much lobbying or advertising in. Suckachusetts being one of them.

I don't agree with everything they do, and I think that uncle Ted has made us look bad over the years. I think that the slide fire products don't do anything for our image either. Now Charlton Heston was a guy that was good for our image. Why is image such a big deal? Because not all voters are gun owners.

The NRA IS the best and most powerful gun lobby in the world and like it or not they are the best chance that we have at preserving the 2A rights that we left.

Say all you anti-NRA guys are 100% right. They are a big, bloated political engine where the executives live lavish lives on your dues and they rarely, if ever, make any difference in any State's political landscape or in Washington.

There.........you have it. They've been handed their walking papers and 100% of every member in American has failed to renew. The doors are shuttered and there is no more NRA. Hooray! We won!

Now, just think about that for about 30 seconds. I have only one single question: NOW WHAT?

Now, nothing. While the NRA may be a bloated political lobbying group, they are (or at least were) lobbying FOR us. I believe the you will agree that there are plenty of anti- 2A lobbies out there, right? Who is going to pick up the PRO 2A banner that now lays in the mud on the field representing us??? Got any good names? If you do my question is why haven't they come to the forefront along with the NRA to work for us? The reason is simple. There is NO ONE ELSE nationally. There simply isn't.

So, just like voting, chances are that you will not be 100% pleased with any candidate. You can't be. It's impossible. Candidates have to cater to the largest part of their voting block. The NRA is nothing different. Eveyone from Fuds to MG owners donate their money for membership just to hope that the NRA will do what they can to stymie the flow of anti 2A legislation continuously coming down the road at us. They will miss a bunch of it but the bulk of it they do manage to protect us from and, working with some states that are on the cusp, there have been good inroads against the hordes.

Please think of what you are promoting if you are thinking if you're going to teach the NRA a lesson by denying your dues. And, yes, they would be more powerful if they had 10 million members. No kidding. So, rather and taking away, maybe what you should be suggesting is that we find more members including family to make this one and only pro 2A lobby speak with a louder voice.

Just my 2 cents but I'm tired of this 'withdraw my vote/money and teach 'em a lesson' philosophy. It's ass-backwards imho.

Rome

The premise of this thread is flawed, im a benefactor member meaning ive paid multiple lifetime memberships.Am i going to call up and quit.. no not yet. But say i send their money to GOA.? Does that make me part of the problem??also, nra or not i vote the way i vote. The NRA was doing well, even doing things in MA. Dont think for a second that if the nra doesnt do what i want i wont quit. At some point if they cave hard enough and not just go down fighting they serve no purpose and weve lost.there goal is to preserve (or advance) the 2a...not slowly let them win with the NRAs blessing...i wont support that.

I'm hoping the nra is doing the same thing they did when trump sqid him and the NRA are going to do sp,thing about the no fly no buy thing...the what the NRA proposed gave nothing to the other side.

I don't have much use for "Gun rights" groups, they've been asleep at the wheel for decades and we keep losing 2A rights time and again. Pretty damn near useless, IMO.

ETA: I've been a member of both the NRA and GOAL in the past.

The problem being is the NRA has given in many times. NFA 1936 , GCA 1968, import ban 1988?, AWB 1996- I don't know if the NRA played a part in the sunset clause?
NRA is like a good and bad thing. Maybe stick their fingers in to keep us from getting completely screwed but allowing a bit of that finger to be cut off in the process.

The problem with the road not taken is that the road wasn't taken. We don't know how things would have turned out. My operating assumption, rightly or wrongly, is that the NRA's ideal stance is "not one inch", but what they actually do depends on their understanding of the political realities of the day. I hear a lot of emotion on the pro-2A side, and I can't say that I like it. We already have problems with waffling Republicans, and there's an election coming in 13 months. The anti-2A Democratic opponents of pro-2A Republican incumbents will hope to sway the people in the middle, and I guarantee you that defending bump-fire stocks is not going to play well with the majority of folks who are neither pro-2A nor anti-2A. So what happens if pro-2A legislators lose seats? Maybe nothing given what Republicans have done so far, but you can probably kiss that offensive pro-2A legislative agenda goodbye.

Last edited:
I don't have much use for "Gun rights" groups, they've been asleep at the wheel for decades and we keep losing 2A rights time and again. Pretty damn near useless, IMO.

ETA: I've been a member of both the NRA and GOAL in the past.
Yeah, clearly asleep at the wheel the last 8 years...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

If we were to step back for a moment and look at the big picture, were would we be right now without the NRA?

There are a hand full of states in this great country that would be a complete waste of money for them to do much lobbying or advertising in. Suckachusetts being one of them.

I don't agree with everything they do, and I think that uncle Ted has made us look bad over the years. I think that the slide fire products don't do anything for our image either. Now Charlton Heston was a guy that was good for our image. Why is image such a big deal? Because not all voters are gun owners.

The NRA IS the best and most powerful gun lobby in the world and like it or not they are the best chance that we have at preserving the 2A rights that we left.

Do you remember Market Basket? If I remember correctly they weren't union but they all stood together and said we want our CEO back and they got him back. Which goes to show you don't need an organization to get results you just have to be organized and have the same goal. If the 80 million gun owners or at least the majority of them would stand together and say NO HELL NO! we wouldn't be having these problems now. Also as I said before if the GOA had the members and money the NRA has I don't believe they would give in so easily as the NRA has over the past several decades. As far as I know they're not busy selling wine, insurance, magazines etc. but instead they are focused much more on the 2A.

The problem with the road not taken is that the road wasn't taken. We don't know how things would have turned out. My operating assumption, rightly or wrongly, is that the NRA's ideal stance is "not one inch", but what they actually do depends on their understanding of the political realities of the day. I hear a lot of emotion on the pro-2A side, and I can't say that I like it. We already have problems with waffling Republicans, and there's an election coming in 13 months. The anti-2A Democratic opponents of pro-2A Republican incumbents will hope to sway the people in the middle, and I guarantee you that defending bump-fire stocks is not going to play well with the majority of folks who are neither pro-2A nor anti-2A. So what happens if pro-2A legislators lose seats? Maybe nothing given what Republicans have done so far, but you can probably kiss that offensive pro-2A legislative agenda goodbye.

It's not really about defending bump stocks though. It's about defending freedom. An object and the people that use that object should not be blamed or held accountable for the actions of a madman.

It's not really about defending bump stocks though. It's about defending freedom. An object and the people that use that object should not be blamed or held accountable for the actions of a madman.

However right your statement might be, it is one that ignores reality. You can logically take that to why can't we buy "RPGs and frag grenades at gun shops?" I get it, plenty here think that should be fine -- but that's not the point.

That argument can do more damage than good when operating in the the actual political spheres of the United States. You can think it shouldn't, but it does. There's no way around that. The NRA is a political organization.

Mike

However right your statement might be, it is one that ignores reality. You can logically take that to why can't we buy "RPGs and frag grenades at gun shops?" I get it, plenty here think that should be fine -- but that's not the point.

That argument can do more damage than good when operating in the the actual political spheres of the United States. You can think it shouldn't, but it does. There's no way around that. The NRA is a political organization.

Mike

No one is making the hand grenade/stinger missile/personal nuke argument

Its a device that was and currently is approved by ATF

Over 500 killed in Chicago this year with handguns......you going to say we need to give in and allow for a ban of handguns?

Rinse and repeat for automobiles, swimming pools and all sorts of other inanimate objects

Only difference here is that YOU and the NRA are capitulating to the irrational "We have to do SOMETHING" emotional argument off the left

Here is where the NRA is in my opinion.
Like has been said they are a political party in their own right.

Politics are nothing more than one side trading away a right to get a right that they want.
Like offering a longer jail term for a gun related conviction for a shorter waiting period in purchasing a firearm.

What do you do when you have no more cards left?

Or the deck is stacked against you from the get go.

I'm done with the NRA as politics will never negotiate my freedom!
That my friends is all on me!

Mike

As long as we keep accepting the blame we're going to be blamed and lose more and more every-time we accept the blame. They want us to feel guilty for the acts of terrorists, criminals and madmen and we shouldn't. The NRA could have offered their condolences to the families and said we don't blame inanimate objects or the 10's of millions of people that own them and have never committed a heinous act for the acts of a madman. As I've said before: Those that continue to compromise will continue to be compromised.

Last edited:
No one is making the hand grenade/stinger missile/personal nuke argument

Its a device that was and currently is approved by ATF

Over 500 killed in Chicago this year with handguns......you going to say we need to give in and allow for a ban of handguns?

Rinse and repeat for automobiles, swimming pools and all sorts of other inanimate objects

Only difference here is that YOU and the NRA are capitulating to the irrational "We have to do SOMETHING" emotional argument off the left

This!

3-4 more SCOTUS nominees... I wouldn't complain

Mike
tick-tock-tick-tock...the reaper lurks....("Rampart, this is Squad 51...patient's vitals are: pulse thirty, respiration shallow, blood pressure a robust sixty over twenty...pupils fixed on the floor and die-a-lated..."
"Roger Squad 51. Transport.. STAT!!!!")
9d34471502ab045cbe72dee9c7a8314a.jpg

Look.. In my opinion we get what we elect. If voting NRA members keep supporting the same leadership at the NRA, and then act surprised when they act is the same manner as before, then its on us the voting NRA members. There are a number of real supporters of the 2A that are running for the NRA board. If we do not help these new voices to get elected, then its OUR fault for the state of the NRA. If you are tired of the same old from the NRA, then vote people in that will change the current NRA structure... Here are a few of the candidates I support. They need your help to get on the ballet, so please support them if want change.

http://stevereichert.com/nra/
http://www.adamkraut.com/

Signatures for getting on the ballet for 2018 are due Oct 10th!. If you want to support one of these candidates or any other candidate, please get your signed ballet nomination form to them ASAP. Details are on the links.

Last edited:
Well pretty much as predicted, all the talking buttholes on the Sunday morning talk shows are crowing that even the NRA agrees it's time for more gun control .
Couldn't see that coming. [rolleyes]
Yup it's not what they said or did , but it doesn't matter, they blinked and that's enough.

Well pretty much as predicted, all the talking buttholes on the Sunday morning talk shows are crowing that even the NRA agrees it's time for more gun control .
Yup it's not what they said or did , but it doesn't matter, they blinked and that's enough.

This is the problem when the NRA or we give in at all. It just emboldens them more.

Nothing about the NRA's recent actions surprise me.

They talk a good game and make dramatic videos about how they will fight relentlessly for our rights and roll over and show their belly. Bottom line to me is until elected officials align on our views nothing will ever change in our favor. NRA is not responsible for the recent changes to constitutional carry etc. across the country.

Blindly throwing money and support behind the NRA makes you part of the problem.

I've been an annual member off and on over the years. If I still was, I wouldn't cancel... but I darn sure wouldn't renew.

If I had money to throw at the cause of gun rights, I'd just cut a big ol' check to Alan Gura and tell him to go for it. I don't, so my membership goes to NHFC.

Do you remember Market Basket? If I remember correctly they weren't union but they all stood together and said we want our CEO back and they got him back. Which goes to show you don't need an organization to get results you just have to be organized and have the same goal. If the 80 million gun owners or at least the majority of them would stand together and say NO HELL NO! we wouldn't be having these problems now. Also as I said before if the GOA had the members and money the NRA has I don't believe they would give in so easily as the NRA has over the past several decades. As far as I know they're not busy selling wine, insurance, magazines etc. but instead they are focused much more on the 2A.

Well stated. [thumbsup]

This is the problem with what they said ^^^ leftist propaganda will twist everything, it would be better if they were calling the NRA bloodthirsty animals instead of pro gun control. At least then we could laugh at the absurdity of their statements, now try to explain to a leftie all the deep understanding of what the NRA did, their eyes will gloss right over and not understand a bit of it.

Back
Top Bottom