can I buy a 14 inch ar

A leo friend has offered to sell me his 'extra' Bushmaster 14 inch ar15.
Is this legal for me to buy in Massachusetts or is it leo only.
thanks

add 2" and your ok. [laugh]

otherwise, it's a PITA and will cost you $$$ via tax stamp, paperwork ect... IMO - NOT worth it!

What chetD is trying to say is that the barrel has to be at least 16" if you do not want to pay the $200 tax stamp to the BATFE for an SBR (Short Barreled Rifle).

You can, however have a compensator of sorts (at least 2") added on, but that will take gunsmithing and money.

Either way, you're not going to be able to shoot the gun right away. Figure out what it is you want in an AR, when you want to shoot it, and what you want to shoot it for.

There's probably no reason you couldn't buy it, but it's not going to be a short and simple process.

if you are in posession of this and also own an ar lower of any type.. It is my understanding that the ATF views this as being in posession of an unregistered SBR.. without an approved form 1, do not take it.

Serious bad juju.

bushmaster 14

He will sell it to me for what he paid $750, therefore the extra $200 tax stamp may be ok.
Is that my only problem?
Thanks to all who replied, I knew I would get good advice, including the extra 2 inches comments

He will sell it to me for what he paid $750, therefore the extra $200 tax stamp may be ok.
Is that my only problem?
Thanks to all who replied, I knew I would get good advice, including the extra 2 inches comments

if you go green it gets even better. [smile]

Just wondering...

Is it a pre or post 09/13/94 receiver?

If it's post 94 and has more than 1 of the banned features, you'll have to remove and replace the additional parts... paying the $200.00 SBR tax stamp does not exempt it from the MA AWB (just one more area in MA where LEOs get special privilege).

Is that my only problem?
It will take you 6 months and you'll have to either get a CLEO signoff or create a Trust...

My AR Shorty

My AR Shorty, has a 3 inch flash hider silver soldered on, I built the gun in Michigan, it was my shorty for Three Gun, and it was legal there, and I'm sure it's the same here in the Live free or Die, place ...

I guuess I will not be shooting it down in the Peoples Republic of????

[laugh2]

add 2" and your ok. [laugh]

otherwise, it's a PITA and will cost you $$$ via tax stamp, paperwork ect... IMO - NOT worth it!

My AR Shorty, has a 3 inch flash hider silver soldered on, I built the gun in Michigan, it was my shorty for Three Gun, and it was legal there, and I'm sure it's the same here in the Live free or Die, place ...

I guuess I will not be shooting it down in the Peoples Republic of????

[laugh2]
The 16" barrel limit is set by the BAFTE, not the individual state...

There is an easier and cheaper way. Buy a 14.5" AR with a permanently pinned izzy flash suppressor. CMMG also sells 14.7" ARs with regular, pinned A2 style flash hiders.

The problem is that 14.5" + FH = 15.8...so you need an extra 0.2" if you want to get the genuine M4 look.

Do not take possession of the upper until you have an approved form 1. Assuming your friend has a registered sbr he is fine to retain possession until your form is approved. You will also need to have your lower engraved once it's all approved.

Might want to pick up a new lower to host the SBR on as engraving a Preban lower might lower its value if you ever split up the upper and lower.

Food for thought at least.

Do not take possession of the upper until you have an approved form 1. Assuming your friend has a registered sbr he is fine to retain possession until your form is approved. You will also need to have your lower engraved once it's all approved.

A leo friend has offered to sell me his 'extra' Bushmaster 14 inch ar15.
Is this legal for me to buy in Massachusetts or is it leo only.
thanks

This thread had derailed so much I am confused if the question has actually been answered for you or not... (see I fixed it for ya, spelt thread right...can't spell for shit, always thought spelling was gay)

The real anwer to "Is this legal for me to buy in Massachusetts or is it leo only." is MAYBE, (maybe, because of the MA AW ban there are some variables)
#1. If it is "pre 94" AND you follow all the NFA regs (form 4, $200 tax, etc) then yes it certainly is legal for you to buy.
#2. If it is not "pre 94" depending on who you ask (because of how the Mass AW ban is written) some will say if you are not a LEO it will need to be neutered (ie AW ban compliant), others will say "SBR's aren't AW's, and therefor it doesn't need to be neutered (I beleive it would need to be neutered), and you would still follow all the NFA regs to buy it.

Personally all this "add a permanent 2 inch flash suppressor" stuff others have mentioned seems silly to me. If you want a 16inch AR go buy a 16 inch AR, if you want a 14.5 inch AR SBR, buy this 14.5 inch SBR.

Aren't we talking about a complete existing SBR currently owned by his friend? If so no Form 1, the gun is already made, it would transfer on a form 4, and no engraving because it is already engraved... but yes friend would have to keep the gun until the transfer goes through...

Last edited:
The pic below is a tread, What we are posting in is called a Thread.
precured-tread-rubber.jpg

This tread had derailed so much I am confused if the question has actually been answered for you or not...

The real anwer to "Is this legal for me to buy in Massachusetts or is it leo only." is MAYBE, (maybe, because of the MA AW ban there are some variables)
#1. If it is "pre 94" AND you follow all the NFA regs (form 4, $200 tax, etc) then yes it certainly is legal for you to buy.
#2. If it is not "pre 94" depending on who you ask (because of how the Mass AW ban is written) some will say if you are not a LEO it will need to be neutered (ie AW ban compliant), others will say "SBR's aren't AW's, and therefor it doesn't need to be neutered (I beleive it would need to be neutered), and you would still follow all the NFA regs to buy it.

Personally all this "add a permanent 2 inch flash suppressor" stuff others have mentioned seems silly to me. If you want a 16inch AR go buy a 16 inch AR, if you want a 14.5 inch AR SBR, buy this 14.5 inch SBR.

Aren't we talking about a complete existing SBR currently owned by his friend? If so no Form 1, the gun is already made, it would transfer on a form 4, and no engraving because it is already engraved... but yes friend would have to keep the gun until the transfer goes through...

I'll bet it isn't a 14.5 inch barrel; all of the LE AR's I've seen were 16" but were in pre-ban configuration. The fact that it is a LE only rifle tells me that it is a post ban....the LE only rifles were only made after the 94 ban and had the AW features, hence the LE only stamp.

You didn't say whether it's an upper or a complete rifle. If it's a rifle you only need your police chief to sign the form 4 to transfer the rifle from your friend to you. If he lives in another state, the rifle has to transfer to a Ma. dealer,then from the dealer to you. Either way you have to pay a $200.00 transfer tax. If it's an upper, then it's more complicated and $750.00 for an upper doesn't seem like a great deal.

Not Neccessarily

LOL ohhh that was good HA HA HA

BTW to the OP when you have a under 16 inch barreled upper and a AR lower in your possession at the same time the feds call this constructive possession.

Its found in this publication.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/nfa/nfa_handbook/

I own AR15 rifles in legal 16" configurations, AND, a legal 7.5" AR Pistol (O.A. K23 - under 16" barreled upper)

I think you must mean, "if" you are found to be in posession of each of those parts, by themselves, with no legal corresponding upper/lower.

Last edited:

You are correct. I have been assuming it was an extra, meaning an upper only.

if it is a complete rifle there is a lot less question.. Just have him transfer it to you on the form 4 (as laready mentioned).

If thats how you interpret it then roll with it.

Have a read at the linkage I posted if you have any doubts.

I own AR15 rifles in legal 16" configurations, AND, a legal 7.5" AR Pistol (O.A. K23 - under 16" barreled upper)

I think you must mean, "if" you are found to be in possession of each of those parts, by themselves, with no legal corresponding upper/lower.

Back
Top Bottom